As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WANTED: Impossible Skillset at Laughable Wage; Part-Time-Only [job] Thread

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    It seems that there could be a policy somewhere between all or nothing.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Yeah "fair" is not what I'd call that at all.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Wouldn't it be easier/cheaper/better for everyone to have a 'normal' vision plan, and then have full face shields available for those who need them?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    There's an outage on a hop out of Dallas that's making it nearly impossible for me to use the internet. The hop is owned by Level 3 communications, but guaranteed everyone in this area think's it's Frontier's fault. Of course I won't have to deal with any of that until Monday, but I'm betting plenty of people right now are mad at what they perceive as another Frontier screw-up.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    And there goes one of my best workers, out the door. Wife starts texting him suicidal messages (their marriage is strained by both our work schedule and her Facebook friends getting it into her head that he's not actually at work every Friday night, but is instead sleeping around), and he says he's going to go and make sure she's okay. I tell him to go, and I inform the supervisor (who was not here at the time).

Supervisor starts laying into me about it, telling me it wasn't me call to let him leave, and that procedure is to call 911 and let them handle it, etc.

Fuck me I don't need this shit tonight.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I am extremely depressed about the result of the EU referendum yesterday, and it's new volunteers day so I have to be social and chatty and I cannot be effed.

But on the upside, we do now have a baby duiker living here. So the day is not entirely shite.

https://youtu.be/LHm0Q-_dkEY

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    And there goes one of my best workers, out the door. Wife starts texting him suicidal messages (their marriage is strained by both our work schedule and her Facebook friends getting it into her head that he's not actually at work every Friday night, but is instead sleeping around), and he says he's going to go and make sure she's okay. I tell him to go, and I inform the supervisor (who was not here at the time).

Supervisor starts laying into me about it, telling me it wasn't me call to let him leave, and that procedure is to call 911 and let them handle it, etc.

Fuck me I don't need this shit tonight.

If someone you know makes suicidal threats you should call 911. But yes that family member should also be let off so they can deal with that shit.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    I am extremely depressed about the result of the EU referendum yesterday, and it's new volunteers day so I have to be social and chatty and I cannot be effed.

But on the upside, we do now have a baby duiker living here. So the day is not entirely shite.

https://youtu.be/LHm0Q-_dkEY

Cute little critter therapy always helps.

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I never thought I'd hear the phrase "toe explosion" said at work, but here we are.

(Not mine, thankfully.)

sig.gif
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Is that like a dik-dik?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So my main goal was to try to feel better about everything before I went back to hell
    I know not having a car and looking at the rather dismal prospects was not uplifting. Trying to figure out what the mechanic sabotaged to order to create more work for himself is really discomforting. My neighbor is moving soon
    Yesterday he told me because of how much of a barren wasteland my yard looks like cost him 10k in his house appraisal and he hinted he wanted the difference :rotate:
    I need to just get away from here

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Is that like a dik-dik?

Little bit? It's a small antelope anyway. But this species (grey duiker) is bigger than a dik-dik. The blue duiker is more dik-dik size but we don't have them here.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Duikers make good historians, I heard

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    As an update, coworker came back a couple hours later, and his wife is alright. Her mother came over and watched over her, and is going to get her to see a mental health professional she knows.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Yesterday we had a meeting with the whole company where one of the directors mentioned that if any of us wanted to go and work in one of our overseas offices, they'd do their best to make it happen.

Given friday's events, this has become a serious consideration.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »
    Yesterday we had a meeting with the whole company where one of the directors mentioned that if any of us wanted to go and work in one of our overseas offices, they'd do their best to make it happen.

Given friday's events, this has become a serious consideration.

Are there overseas offices located in the EU or in N. America/Oceania? The latter would be a better option I think in the long-term right now.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    The immediate options are San Jose or Amsterdam.

The south of England is expensive, but I've heard than silicon valley is on another level entirely.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    For those interested: http://www.local10.com/news/richard-e-gerstein-justice-building-evacuated

Not even four days and here I am.

Pah ! Most fun times are when there's been a 'white powder incident' when the building is locked down with you inside, and you have to resort to reading your local papers website to see what's happening because you're not getting told anything.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »
    The immediate options are San Jose or Amsterdam.

The south of England is expensive, but I've heard than silicon valley is on another level entirely.

In silicon valley it's averaging around 2.5k for single bedroom apartment (maybe higher by now). Houses are around 800k-1.5mil USD depending on the area. It can get cheaper if you go further away from San Jose but then you sit in traffic for an hour on a good day.

Not trying to scare you off but just make sure your salary can handle it or your company will cover some portion of it for you.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    As an update, coworker came back a couple hours later, and his wife is alright. Her mother came over and watched over her, and is going to get her to see a mental health professional she knows.

Oh did they not fire him

I thought they fired him for leaving to check on his wife because they're terrible

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Oh did they not fire him

I thought they fired him for leaving to check on his wife because they're terrible

Firing him is too mundane for that company, they'll probably boil him in oil or something.

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Heh yeah, if you're getting paid the big bucks, SJ is nice. Fuck it if you're not, though, for real.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Oh did they not fire him

Supervisor wanted to write him up for it though, because it's now company policy* to do so if someone leaves the plant without first getting express permission, but after a long enough argument, I got him to write me up in his place, since IDGAF anymore and I'm quitting as soon as I am able.

*In a similar, more ridiculous vein, it's also now company policy to earn a writeup if you leave trash lying around in the break room. This isn't too big a deal in itself, but it's also extended to cover anyone who leaves the break room with trash anywhere, no matter what. Four people on first shift got written up late Friday morning because someone else left a Wendy's bag on a table at the far end of the room, and they didn't go over and throw it away, despite the fact that they were only passing through the break room to go to the bathroom. People are taking ridiculous roundabout routes to avoid the place now.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Customer faceplants a bloody gash across their forehead, and I witness a man spill his on the floor in front of his child inside the store and just walk away from the mess.

Moments like this are why your kids won't clean their room.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    One of my crew did a very rude thing today in full view of a shitload of customers. So now we're down yet another person while we're still trying to hire up from recent losses.

Really wish we could get more people who treat work seriously and understand the idea of presenting a professional image to the people we rely on to buy goods from us. People will understand us not being able to control junkies camping out outside, but employees acting a fool? That will send people elsewhere.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    One of my crew did a very rude thing today in full view of a shitload of customers. So now we're down yet another person while we're still trying to hire up from recent losses.

Really wish we could get more people who treat work seriously and understand the idea of presenting a professional image to the people we rely on to buy goods from us. People will understand us not being able to control junkies camping out outside, but employees acting a fool? That will send people elsewhere.

I have heard some stories and witnessed some acts, my brain boggles at they could have possibly done.

• Options
    Bunch of new volunteers arrived yesterday so we are in the babysitting stage as we do all the intro stuff. Baby duiker we are looking after has diarrhoea which apparently is probably a death sentence. Elephants did a number on our pipes last night. Base manager went out to watch the rugby yesterday evening and got beaten up by a bunch of afrikaaners, has a swollen face and huge open gash above his eye.

At least there's plenty to distract me from the shit going on in the UK, I guess.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Take the elephants to rugby next time. (holy shit Smof I hope your base manager recovers fine and that things get less stressful and chaotic)

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I have heard some stories and witnessed some acts, my brain boggles at they could have possibly done.

I have seen some stuff while working in that hell
    Because the junkies are on the other side of the river in the really bad part of town we deal with the homeless and people ducking out from the DWI stops set up
    Still it's not that hard to put on a professional image and idea as you can act the fool all you want on your own time. Just the endless parade of idiotic managers and staff is really something to behold.

• Options
    Take the elephants to rugby next time. (holy shit Smof I hope your base manager recovers fine and that things get less stressful and chaotic)

Chaotic is the standard state of things here. Anyway we've fixed the pipes and the boss is on his way to get stitched up. Things keep rolling on.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I told him no. He's now all morose about it. Hopefully it'll motivate him to actually finish his qual rather than try to sabotage his own people.

He's playing youtube videos at max volume so we'll close our door.

THIS IS A GROWN ADULT WITH CHILDREN.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    sounds like a grown child to me.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    And outside our chain. All I can do is keep helping his peeps and look forward to this being over soon.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    And outside our chain. All I can do is keep helping his peeps and look forward to this being over soon.

Invite someone from his chain maybe? Have them give a talk or something?

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Updating CVs and portfolios: the most boring job in the world or the world's most boring job?

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Updating CVs and portfolios: the most boring job in the world or the world's most boring job?

Depends on if you're getting paid to do it :P

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »

Depends on if you're getting paid to do it :P

I am not :(

• Options
    Radiation wrote: »

Invite someone from his chain maybe? Have them give a talk or something?

Did that weeks ago. But his current chief is on her way out and doesn't really care. On the bright side he's transferring earlier than expected making his shore tour a waste.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    For any and all management/supervisory types out there there is a right way to help someone under your supervision improve:

First, point out the underling's error without dismissing their intelligence.

Second, if you failed to notice the error in prior drafts, admit to doing so instead of suggesting that the underling sprung it on you and is dishonest.

Third, after you point out the underling's error, teach them how to do it correctly instead of having the underling figure out what, exactly, is wrong because just being told something is wrong without any additional guidance does jack shit.

Fourth, be open to discussing the issue with the underling and how they can get better. This includes not being pissy with the underling when they ask for your guidance, mentorship, etc and telling the underling that they are wasting your very valuable time. I know teaching is hard, but it's part of being a good supervisor!

Man, would be nice to have a good supervisor.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Hi job thread, is this where we complain about jobs or can we get advice and what not? Or both!

This discussion has been closed.