As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WANTED: Impossible Skillset at Laughable Wage; Part-Time-Only [job] Thread

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I think I might be getting targeted for being gay at work?

Not, like, being gay at work, being targeted at work for being gay.

Someone (I think I know who) keeps complaining about me to my supervisor (I talk too loudly, etc) and completely ignoring my nearest co-workers who, as far as I can tell, are engaging in the same behaviors as me with nary a whisper to the big boss.

I am unsure how to proceed. Given that I live in Wyoming I am certain nothing would come of complaining, especially given who I work for. I'm kinda feeling like I'm getting backed into a corner, here.

Like, I'm out and proud. I'm not gonna be anything else. Fuck all that. But I'm not flouncing around waving a rainbow flag or some shit.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

Someone (I think I know who) keeps complaining about me to my supervisor (I talk too loudly, etc) and completely ignoring my nearest co-workers who, as far as I can tell, are engaging in the same behaviors as me with nary a whisper to the big boss.

I am unsure how to proceed. Given that I live in Wyoming I am certain nothing would come of complaining, especially given who I work for. I'm kinda feeling like I'm getting backed into a corner, here.

Like, I'm out and proud. I'm not gonna be anything else. Fuck all that. But I'm not flouncing around waving a rainbow flag or some shit.

Has your boss brought it up with you? Do they agree with/sympathize with any of the complaints?

You are well within your rights to complain right back if you feel like someone is bullying you. You can also have your nearest co-workers make a statement that they support you.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Well cool, got a phone call with the CEO of a company I applied to next week. The person setting up the interview, who interviewed me the first time, seemed pretty excited for it.

Yay!

Well they must be super interested if they're violating the laws of causality to talk to you!

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Hopefully the complaints are recognised as bullshit and it reflects poorly on the serial complainer?

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Bad news: stuck in lock down at work right before time to leave.
    Good news: all clear now.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

Has your boss brought it up with you? Do they agree with/sympathize with any of the complaints?

You are well within your rights to complain right back if you feel like someone is bullying you. You can also have your nearest co-workers make a statement that they support you.

Yeah, sad as it is to say it probably will work counter to your goals if you mention that it's probably homophobia. Just saying you're feeling harassed is enough for your boss to work with.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    100% agree

you don't have to speculate about their reasoning at all. It is totally enough that somebody is singling you out for whatever reason.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Well cool, got a phone call with the CEO of a company I applied to next week. The person setting up the interview, who interviewed me the first time, seemed pretty excited for it.

Yay!

Well they must be super interested if they're violating the laws of causality to talk to you!

Seriously! Why doesn't everyone else get the memo that I'm awesome?!

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    At first I thought this was a joke, but no...it's real.

2OMN6T8.jpg

Permacorp? It totally sounds like a typical Dilbert soulless company. But I guess it does exist.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    'You should be thankful to work here because I could replace you in a fucking second if I were so inclined'

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Woooooooooooooooooooow, that's shitty

like I'm thankful for my job but I'm not kidding myself into thinking that I'm not super easily replaceable

But I think my boss wouldn't just want to replace me anyway

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Meanwhile... In another universe

Why you shouldn't protest and go on strike

----

We pay you pretty well
    Decent Benefits
    and we're THANKFUL for you!

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Hopefully the complaints are recognised as bullshit and it reflects poorly on the serial complainer?

I do not recommend sitting on it and hoping things go away, since odds are the person has done this before and is still working there. Not sure what to do about it though. Tape record noise? Lawyer up? ACLU? :(

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

Document what you can, but only act on it if push comes to shove. Are you being written up or talked to about it? Equal chance the boss is internally thinking "this complainer is full of shit, but just nodding my head will get them to go away".
    Targeting someone that can sue you successfully is a very bad idea, they likely just think they're keeping the peace by not calling that person out while at the same time not writing you up.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I've been getting spoken to about it, yeah.

Also, due to international arms trafficking laws, it is impossible for me to document incidences beyond, like, writing them down with a date or something.

I don't know that I've been written up or anything yet, but I'm definitely gonna talk to HR about it if it happens again.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    hippofant wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

I do not recommend sitting on it and hoping things go away, since odds are the person has done this before and is still working there. Not sure what to do about it though. Tape record noise? Lawyer up? ACLU? :(

So what I think might work or how the situation would be resolved in a perfect world?

Typical fashion for a factory setting: Find Complainer. "What's your problem?" It goes a variety of ways here though odds are on unpleasantness and a headache for whatever management has to clear it up. Will probably go over better with your floor coworkers than involving management though.

A middle road might just be to talk to the supervisor but don't bring asshole up. Be positive, make it about how you're doing on the job and ask if he has any notes for where you could be better. Actually asking for this feedback is a super positive sign for an employee and if your supervisor has half a brain in his head he'll read this as you knowing about asshole. If he's an idiot and mentions asshole's complaints...well you have some cover for the first entry.

Typical way to lose your job, spend a shitload of money on lawyers and maybe someday get something back: Bring up the harassment complaint. Which fucking sucks but not everyone can afford the luxury of principals over food.

Edit: Ah fuck, if your supervisor is actually talking to you about it that sorta short circuits the middle option.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    ICUb wrote: »
    Zoel wrote: »
    So, I have a potential promotion to a management position (about 2-3 steps down from the head of an office depending on its size), but there's a few problems. I'd have to apply for it, but the reason It's a potential promotion is that It's unlikely anyone else wants the job because of the situation they'd be going into.

The promotion itself would involve skipping an intermediate position that would normally have to happen, but in this case only it doesn't apply. It's in an office not too far away from where I live now, but It's a huge city and I'd have to live in a neighborhood out in the boonies because of the cost of rent.

The biggest problem is pretty solid grape-vine info that this office is in probably the most challenging period of its existence, and there might be people there currently representing the dog sitting in a room on fire saying "This is fine." I have a suspicion that there might be existing distrust between various parties there that needs repair, and I would need to boost a lot of morale. Chances are that some things that need fixing might be in the hands of another person, and I have no idea if they would cooperate given that I have no idea who they would be. I would probably not have much help from inside the office.

At first I would make less money per hour because I'd go from being overtime qualified to salaried/non-union, but given the credentials it would give me if this is as bad as I think it is, it would be a big step to six figs, influence in an org that I think I can change for the better, and maybe even one day my own parking space.

I don't have any worries about being able to manage other people generally-- but it would still be my first management position and I'm very wary of the situations described to me. The chance that I'd end up jobless if I failed is near zero-- they'd just move me back to the non management position I already do well in, although that would probably shut the door to upward advancement forever.

In other words, It's a poisoned chalice but only half poisoned, extremely shiny, and I have been given small doses of it to build up my immunity.

It's not a bad problem to have by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't really know what I'm going to do.

If you do get an offer on the position for the love of god don't let them low-ball you. Research comparable positions, pick a point you won't go below and stick to your guns.

Not a problem. What I make is pre-defined, but I'm uncomfortable outright stating the figure here.

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    JebusUD wrote: »
    The baby duiker is barely eating and has become very shaky. I predict it won't last more than another day or two.

This has been a trying few days.

Does Pepto work on Duikers?

I don't know about duikers, but you can't give pepto to cats because they have a hard time metabolizing it. It's rarely a good idea to give human medications to animals without first knowing how they react.

But something like gatorade, to replace lost electrolytes and rehydrate, might be good.

Well, of it is going to drop dead anyway might be worth a try. I don't know if that sort of active intervention is in Smof's wheelhouse though.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Yesterday, I had someone ask me for help after someone parked too close to their car for them to safely exit (in their opinion). I radioed for help and the spry lass of 35 hopped through the passenger side and made it out without trouble.

Today, I heard on the radio someone else in the same position, but with someone unable to do so and no real clue if the asshole in question was still on site to move their vehicle.

I passed a homeless man on my way to check out, a few minutes later, I heard reports over the radio of him and his doggy getting into a fight with a knife wielding gentleman in a wheelchair.

I'm glad I listened to the little voice that said "don't give the homeless money while in uniform, even if they have a doggy."

My mother's home is now listed online as foreclosed, so she and I are purging and packing. Hopefully she finds permanent work and I find a better career or shit looks dire.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Fun fact time as I sit here waiting on a nurse to get back: Even though half of the plant works with various acids of wildly differing strengths, nowhere on site is anything to treat acid burns.

Luckily mine are minor, so it's just stinging and blistering.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Don't you just treat acid by washing it off with water?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    That's what I usually do, but my supervisor sent me to the hospital anyway.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    edit: Just stay away from industrial chemicals

Weaver on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    baking soda

depending on the acid, that could be a really bad idea
    you want to bring the pH slowly back to neutral, not start a heated chemical reaction

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    tynic wrote: »
    baking soda

you want to bring the pH slowly back to neutral, not start a heated chemical reaction

Yeah, I posted that and then thought, "wait, something doesn't feel right" and started reading about it and yeah whoops no

Weaver on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    The duiker died. Not really a big surprise.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    The duiker died. Not really a big surprise.

:(

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    baking soda

"The solution to pollution is dilution" or, use lots and lots of water.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I'm currently rocking a fro due to no money for haircuts.

I got a compliment from a(n attractive) member of the client staff and it made my morning because I just rolled out of bed and barely looked in the mirror. I picked this mess out blindly from instinct and feel really good now.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    baking soda

Which is why I dump all my industrial waste in rivers and the ocean, it's better that way

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Meanwhile... In another universe

Why you shouldn't protest and go on strike

----

We pay you pretty well
    Decent Benefits
    and we're THANKFUL for you!

At a staff meeting a few months ago one of the directors mentioned that the rumors were true, that the nursing staff was talking about unionizing.
    And then the nice part was, that was followed by "We know lately things have been really difficult for them especially, due to the tightening budget*, staffing problems, and the recent EMR change, so leadership is working closely with them to try and address their concerns so they don't feel the need to unionize."

It's nice to work at a place where real human beings are in charge.

*Thanks a lot Brownback.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ... I mean
    they're trying to head off them unionizing
    they're doing it in a nice way but I don't see that as "employees first" so much as "FUUUUUUCK STOP THEM"

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I'm currently rocking a fro due to no money for haircuts.

I got a compliment from a(n attractive) member of the client staff and it made my morning because I just rolled out of bed and barely looked in the mirror. I picked this mess out blindly from instinct and feel really good now.

I am definitely in the camp that thinks fros are incredibly hot.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Last week an apartment complex with ~80 units cancelled service with us. As I understand it, the problem was that their building had crappy ancient wiring, so their tenants were always complaining about the TV and Internet service, but we were only contracted for the fiber lines to a couple main hub devices. So they've been "negotiating" with us for months trying to get us to rewire their whole complex for free, while our response has been that we don't handle that scale of wiring at all, but we'd be happy to point them to some qualified electricians we've frequently contracted with, who will charge them a fair price for such a major overhaul.

So they cancelled, and put all their IP TV equipment in a bunch of mildewy looking plastic bins, and left them out in their parking lot unsupervised, expecting us to just know that all that equipment was available for pickup via telepathy or something. One of our field techs was out there removing our hub devices and found out about it, and made two trips to get it all back to me. Only 68 of 87 set top boxes are accounted for, and only 34 of 87 STB power sources. I'm not even bothering to count these Remote Controls, they're unspeakably filthy to the last one. I'm convinced that the residents of this complex all share a passion for eating peanut butter with their bare hands while watching crappy TV (80% of the tested STBs so far have booted up tuned to the Hallmark Movie Channel). And that none of them own a feather duster, since these devices are all caked in dust.

But the real shining jewel of this collection of misery is one STB that, somehow, seems to have a full LEGO Space Man inside of it. There are no gaps in the case anywhere near large enough to admit that. The largest cooling vent is about 2mm wide. And the factory "removing this will void the warranty" stickers are all still in place over the case screws. I am completely at a loss.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Last week an apartment complex with ~80 units cancelled service with us. As I understand it, the problem was that their building had crappy ancient wiring, so their tenants were always complaining about the TV and Internet service, but we were only contracted for the fiber lines to a couple main hub devices. So they've been "negotiating" with us for months trying to get us to rewire their whole complex for free, while our response has been that we don't handle that scale of wiring at all, but we'd be happy to point them to some qualified electricians we've frequently contracted with, who will charge them a fair price for such a major overhaul.

So they cancelled, and put all their IP TV equipment in a bunch of mildewy looking plastic bins, and left them out in their parking lot unsupervised, expecting us to just know that all that equipment was available for pickup via telepathy or something. One of our field techs was out there removing our hub devices and found out about it, and made two trips to get it all back to me. Only 68 of 87 set top boxes are accounted for, and only 34 of 87 STB power sources. I'm not even bothering to count these Remote Controls, they're unspeakably filthy to the last one. I'm convinced that the residents of this apartment complex all share a passion for eating peanut butter with their bare hands while watching TV. And that none of them own a feather duster, these devices are all caked in dust.

But the real shining jewel of this collection of misery is one STB that, somehow, seems to have a full LEGO Space Man inside of it. There are no gaps in the case anywhere near large enough to admit that. The largest cooling vent is about 2mm wide. And the factory "removing this will void the warranty" stickers are all still in place over the case screws. I am completely at a loss.

As someone who has totally never done this, it's entirely possible to get into a device without breaking those stickers, if you're good enough.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    ... I mean
    they're trying to head off them unionizing
    they're doing it in a nice way but I don't see that as "employees first" so much as "FUUUUUUCK STOP THEM"

I guess I don't see too much of a difference when it comes down to it. I don't mind people making the right decision for selfish reasons (e.g. big companies seeing which way the wind is blowing and supporting LGBT inclusive signage in their stores, supportive HR policies, etc).

Also I've been with this place for a little over 5 years, and it is a good place to work, that does genuinely care about their employees. Good wages, great benefits, safe working conditions, management is usually really engaged. It's just been a difficult couple of years with the huge software changes, budget problems, and a bunch of process changes due to getting further integrated into our corporate overlords. Who are themselves fairly decent, but they're much less nimble and more difficult to engage. Fortunately they're also pretty hands off when it comes to most of the small stuff that can really affect QoL and let the local ministries handle it.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Got the call for the second fly-out

Woooooo

Oghulk on
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular

So they cancelled, and put all their IP TV equipment in a bunch of mildewy looking plastic bins, and left them out in their parking lot unsupervised, expecting us to just know that all that equipment was available for pickup via telepathy or something. One of our field techs was out there removing our hub devices and found out about it, and made two trips to get it all back to me. Only 68 of 87 set top boxes are accounted for, and only 34 of 87 STB power sources. I'm not even bothering to count these Remote Controls, they're unspeakably filthy to the last one. I'm convinced that the residents of this apartment complex all share a passion for eating peanut butter with their bare hands while watching TV. And that none of them own a feather duster, these devices are all caked in dust.

As someone who has totally never done this, it's entirely possible to get into a device without breaking those stickers, if you're good enough.

Yeah, I'm pretty handy at that myself. But if somebody ninja'd their way past the seal flawlessly, just to hide a LEGO man in there, that raises even more questions.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    (80% of the tested STBs so far have booted up tuned to the Hallmark Movie Channel).

this is amazing

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    baking soda

What about that acid that ignores the skin and goes straight for the bone?

I mean, I'd assume any place using it would have stuff on hand, but this is Korodullin's workplace.

Peccavi on
This discussion has been closed.