Options

[BREXIT] Farewell Europe, and thanks for all the Fish stocks

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Also the last time the pound was at $1.30 was 1985

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    It's sort of astounding that Johnson, Farage, and Gove were cunning enough to press Cameron into calling a referendum and trick a majority of voters into voting Leave, forcing Cameron to resign, and yet are too incompetent to actually obtain the leadership positions that were the whole goal of their machinations.

• Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    It's at least satisfying to see that for all his machinations, Gove is not only not leading, he's not even really in the running. He went all in and got... squat.

I hear his polling numbers from the ninth circle are spectacular

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Gumpy wrote: »
    It's at least satisfying to see that for all his machinations, Gove is not only not leading, he's not even really in the running. He went all in and got... squat.

I hear his polling numbers from the ninth circle are spectacular

This is very true, pit fiends, fecal imps and Excrutiators love Gove

• Options
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I really, really enjoy the scale of facial expressions, Gove is "Did I just shit my pants?", Fox is "Oh my god I definitely just shit my pants" and Crabb is "I just shit my pants in a crowded subway car"

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    It's weird how the political parties use a form of Proportional Representation (STV) to elect their leaders, but when it comes to actual elections we plebs are stuck with first past the post.

And by weird I mean total fucking bullshit.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    It's sort of astounding that Johnson, Farage, and Gove were cunning enough to press Cameron into calling a referendum and trick a majority of voters into voting Leave, forcing Cameron to resign, and yet are too incompetent to actually obtain the leadership positions that were the whole goal of their machinations.

I highly doubt this is the last we've seen of Farage or Johnson.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I didn't hear it myself, but the morning of Johnson announcing himself out of the leadership contest (and before he'd stated this), there was a BBC politics correspondent saying that his impression was that Johnson didn't want Leave to win, but hoped that a close Remain victory would divide the country and damage Cameron's leadership enough that he could usurp him at the next General Election. Which seems pretty credible to me.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    That seems to be the general consensus

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Grog wrote: »

I highly doubt this is the last we've seen of Farage or Johnson.

I awesomed this not because I think Farage's potential from-a-butt strategy is awesome, but because I thought it was some very interesting political commentary.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    Johnson is 100% going to be back in action - The late intervention by Gove stopped his current bid and his speech was focused on the time not being right, not that he couldn't do the job. He'll be hanging in the back to either reunite the party if it explodes now or building up his status as heir apparent for one more leadership cycle.

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Bojo cares alot about how he is perceived. He saw the poisoned chalice Cameron was handing him and, shock horror, gets 'stabbed in the back' before he can take up the mantle. The headlines were literally "STABBED IN THE BACK". Compared to Gove he has come out of this pretty well in the public eye.

• Options
    So the Chilcot report (about the Iraq war) comes out tomorrow, and it is expected that Jeremy Corbyn will call for Tony Blair to be tried for war crimes

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Oh good

We wouldn't want the left to shut up about trying Tony Blair for war crimes for five fucking minutes would we

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Oh good

We wouldn't want the left to shut up about trying Tony Blair for war crimes for five fucking minutes would we

Woah that's what the people want, Tube

• Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    Is Corbyn going to be calling for an international court here? Or just in general?

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    There is no indication at the moment that the actual report will call for Tony Blair to be tried for war crimes

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    So what's Corbyn's angle here? Is this a "genuinely believes it's the right thing to do/justice is its own reward" thing, an attempt to slap back at rivals within the party at didn't support him, or some combination thereof?

• Options
    Oh good

His lies and the actions of his government caused hundreds of thousands of deaths, and have directly lead to the middle east becoming even more unstable, causing suffering to millions.

I'm not sure I'd call him a war criminal in the purest sense of the term, but he absolutely should be held to account for his actions.

I doubt anything will actually happen though.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

Yeah. Seems like Brexit won't really happen. The elites of all the parties except UKIP aren't in favor. My guess is that the next PM won't schedule Article 50 invocation for another year or more. That's plenty of time for popular opinion to turn around. It only won 52-48.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    htm wrote: »

Yeah. Seems like Brexit won't really happen. The elites of all the parties except UKIP aren't in favor. My guess is that the next PM won't schedule Article 50 invocation for another year or more. That's plenty of time for popular opinion to turn around. It only won 52-48.

I'm sure the EU and everyone else would be super happy to have the UK in a will-they-won't-they holding pattern for a year.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

I'm sure the EU and everyone else would be super happy to have the UK in a will-they-won't-they holding pattern for a year.

I bet, once they figure it out, the news industry won't mind a bit.

• Options

The problem is the EU doesn't have any influence on that.

I think there will be a new election before Article 50.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

The EU can't force it to happen

but they 100% have influence both economic and political to make it happen faster

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I think right now most of the politicians are hoping that it'll all work out and that Brexit will just sort of, blow over.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    I think right now most of the politicians are hoping that it'll all work out and that Brexit will just sort of, blow over.

Winchester?

forumsig.png
  • Options

The next general election is scheduled for 2020. There may be a new election before that, but Tory leadership say that they don't plan on calling a general election solely to sort out Brexit.

There just aren't any incentives to rush it. The EU can't force it, and the populace won't get to vote on it again for nearly four years. That's plenty of time for something to change. There will be political and economic uncertainly until something happens one way or another, but, if you're a Remainer (and most of parliament are, including most of the Tories) then that uncertainty is much better than the absolute disaster of actually leaving.

So if it ends up being May, 2020, with no Article 50 having been invoked, then what's the downside for the Tory majority? That UKIP takes parliament from you? Seems unlikely. A Leave vote from 2016 isn't a UKIP vote in 2020. A 52-48 referendum victory from four years ago and £5 may well get you a cup of tea in 2020, but it's probably not enough to take control of the government.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Would there seriously be no major consequences for the Tories if they just drug their feet and let things stew for the next 4 years?

• Options
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Would there seriously be no major consequences for the Tories if they just drug their feet and let things stew for the next 4 years?

I guess it would depend on what you mean by "major consequences". The longer they go without triggering article 50, the louder their Leavers and UKIP will scream, but... how major is that, really? If you're a Tory MP who was in favor of remaining, do you want to aggressively implement the result of a fairly close but non-binding referendum, or do you want your name to go down in history for being part of the parliament that blew up the UK?

In hindsight, Cameron was dumb for letting the Brexit referendum happen, but you can also understand what he was thinking given that he expected Remain to win: get the vote done early in his term, and (assuming Remain won), he'd then have the moral authority to tell the Eurosceptics in his own party to sit down and shut up for the next three years. And now, even though Leave won, he made sure that there's plenty of time to thwart Brexit by resigning without kicking off Article 50. The majority of parliament who were opposed to Brexit have years to keep it from happening.

• Options
    You don't get to ignore the democratic process when it doesn't turn up the result you wanted. Article 50 should be invoked. "Oh wait, but this time it's different because-" nope. Democracy. Voting. Consequences.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    it's a non-binding vote though

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Yea, in practical terms, they apparently can ignore the democratic process. By time 2020 comes around the demographics will have shifted (the old people would've died) enough for Leave to no longer be a majority of voters.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    You don't get to ignore the democratic process when it doesn't turn up the result you wanted. Article 50 should be invoked. "Oh wait, but this time it's different because-" nope. Democracy. Voting. Consequences.

On the other hand, I expect a government to govern, and invoking Article 50 would be an awful form of governance.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I thought I knew what article 50 was but now I think I don't. What's article 50?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    yeah I thought it wouldn't be technically illegal to go against the result of the referendum, just politically suicidal "courageous"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016

The idea of the British govt ignoring the vote scares me, I admit, even though in theory there would be no direct consequences on the US. As mentioned in this thread and elsewhere, there's already a whiff of fascism coming back into vogue, and there's nothing less democratic than for a government to nullify a popular vote, regardless of how close. Some people would say that a government ignoring the vote is why we need fascism "to protect us". shudder.

Cambiata on
    Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    I thought I knew what article 50 was but now I think I don't. What's article 50?
    nvm
    ait9i3p6jkjk.png

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    cB557 wrote: »

it's the part of the treaty that makes the UK part of the EU which specifies the steps needed to revoke the treaty and exit the EU.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Jars wrote: »
    it's a non-binding vote though

Doesn't fucking matter. It was, in principle, a democratic vote to leave the EU. The country spoke, and it spoke dumb.