As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

USA Presidential Election 2016: Screams from My Father

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

go away world, I can't deal with you anymore

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Oh and beyond more progressive ideas I'd like Hillary to throw more specific policies and laws at Trump if for no other reason than I think she legitimately has a shot at tricking him with a line about healthcare regulations needing "Updoc" subsidies.
    While that would be hilarious, there's no way Trump would ever admit ignorance and ask what those are.
    It'll just be "My health plan has the best Updoc subsidies. My doctor tells me I'm the most healthy man he's ever seen. The healthiest. Because of my Updocs. They're huge."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Sweeps are done and no explosives were found.

There's small comfort in that but I'll take it.

Speed Racer Devlin_Dragonus are both of you doing ok this morning? Any other Dallas area forumers awake yet? I feel like we need a roll call or something.

I'm ok. I was either in Irving or Garland when the shootings happened. I probably would have gone to the protest if not for work so I was lucky, I guess.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    This is just going to get even worse isn't it? Events will feed off each other, escalating more and more, and it will come to a head at some point.

• Options
    DedpuppyDedpuppy Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    This is just going to get even worse isn't it? Events will feed off each other, escalating more and more, and it will come to a head at some point.

Unfortunately yes. Unless both sides are reasonable and work on the issues at hand. Which is highly unlikely any time soon.

f9uosTq.png

Battle.net:Ritalynn#1974
    XBL: Tranewrek
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It's surprising how many people were just waiting in the wings for an event like this to pop up and declare, in essence and without waiting for all of the facts, that black lives don't matter.

Wait, surprising isn't the word... depressing, that's the one.

• Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

go away world, I can't deal with you anymore

Do you think the Secret Service will be paying him a visit for publicly threatening the President?

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Sweeps are done and no explosives were found.

There's small comfort in that but I'll take it.

@Speed Racer @Devlin_Dragonus are both of you doing ok this morning? Any other Dallas area forumers awake yet? I feel like we need a roll call or something.

I'm up, drove to work. Just trying to get throught the day.

No danger as i moved away from downtown but i'm still waiting to hear back for siblings that still live near Downtown DFW.

Thanks for the concern though, it was much appreciated.

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular

Saw this in the D&D thread. I really wish the DPD would have been more careful about what language they use, their official twitter account still has the tweet up naming him as a "suspect" when even in the initial conference the Chief made clear that he was just a person of interest (though even there he slipped up and called him a suspect once). Also not a fan of releasing vague statements about the shooter's motives without giving any identifying information, because really what purpose does that serve at this point?

And I don't even know what to think about the bomb robot thing. I could easily see it being justified in this case, but oh boy the implications...

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Green party's Jill Stein invites Bernie Sanders to take over ticket
    “I’ve invited Bernie to sit down explore collaboration – everything is on the table,” she said. “If he saw that you can’t have a revolutionary campaign in a counter-revolutionary party, he’d be welcomed to the Green party. He could lead the ticket and build a political movement,” she said.

Stein said she had made her offer directly to Sanders in an email at the end of the primary season, although she had not received a response. Her surprise intervention comes amid speculation that Sanders will finally draw a line under a bruising Democratic contest by endorsing Clinton’s presidential bid next week.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yes, Jill, fracture the liberals

That worked so well for Gore.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Green party's Jill Stein invites Bernie Sanders to take over ticket
    “I’ve invited Bernie to sit down explore collaboration – everything is on the table,” she said. “If he saw that you can’t have a revolutionary campaign in a counter-revolutionary party, he’d be welcomed to the Green party. He could lead the ticket and build a political movement,” she said.

Stein said she had made her offer directly to Sanders in an email at the end of the primary season, although she had not received a response. Her surprise intervention comes amid speculation that Sanders will finally draw a line under a bruising Democratic contest by endorsing Clinton’s presidential bid next week.

NO NO NO NO NO NOOO

No I don't.
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    The image of somebody handing Wall-E a grenade and him chasing this dude down is the only time I've chuckled in the last two days.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    The image of somebody handing Wall-E a grenade and him chasing this dude down is the only time I've chuckled in the last two days.

I was picturing a roomba with a stick of dynamite taped to it.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Bernie joining the Green ticket is about as likely as Romney finding someone to run third party against Trump

Approximately a 0% chance

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Even I think Jill's move is impractical

• Options
    Jill Stein sucks

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Im kinda surprised $hillary didnt show up in the last 10 pages

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    DPD chief says that one of the suspects was injured when police sent a robot with a bomb attached into the area where he was hiding from officers

Wait, what?

Link to the video.

So they used what was presumably a bomb disposal robot to plant and detonate and explosive devise after exchanging gunfire with the suspect and after talks with the hostage negotiator (there were no hostages, they just used one for this) did not yield a peaceful outcome

I don't think I have ever heard of the police using an explosive like that, and it's a little scary that they did..lout it is also expected and understandable given the situation and the tools they apparently had at their disposal.

Oh, and the suspect told the negotiator that he was not affiliated with any group and that he wanted to kill white people and white officers especially. Though I agree with the police representative that trying to get into the head of this guy is not a useful endeavor.

I had the same reaction as you, never heard of something like it. A friend pointed out this story to me.

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/05/14/us/police-drop-bomb-on-radicals-home-in-philadelphia.html?pagewanted=all

The short version is a militant group got into a shootout/standoff with police in a home with a bunker on top of it. They literally dropped a bomb from a helicopter on top of the house. The ensuing fire spread to 50+ homes.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Jill Stein is well intentioned, dedicated, and determined.

It's a shame that she's lost all touch with reality.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

I don't know about well intentioned didn't she support the Brexit despite the overall ugly racism aspect of it? She's a non entity though, all she's saying is she sent an email to sanders and he never returned it, probably because it read like a crazy scam email.

"Hello sir I Jill Stein of the mighty Green Party have a great offer for you..."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

they had that inexplicable bomb-bot in Mr. and Mrs. Smith

now that I think about it, if those things exist they should really be constructed to look like a big Bob-omb.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »

I don't know about well intentioned didn't she support the Brexit despite the overall ugly racism aspect of it? She's a non entity though, all she's saying is she sent an email to sanders and he never returned it, probably because it read like a crazy scam email.

"Hello sir I Jill Stein of the mighty Green Party have a great offer for you..."

She also panders to the anti-vax base of the Green Party. She sucks.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    DPD chief says that one of the suspects was injured when police sent a robot with a bomb attached into the area where he was hiding from officers

Wait, what?

Link to the video.

So they used what was presumably a bomb disposal robot to plant and detonate and explosive devise after exchanging gunfire with the suspect and after talks with the hostage negotiator (there were no hostages, they just used one for this) did not yield a peaceful outcome

I don't think I have ever heard of the police using an explosive like that, and it's a little scary that they did..lout it is also expected and understandable given the situation and the tools they apparently had at their disposal.

Oh, and the suspect told the negotiator that he was not affiliated with any group and that he wanted to kill white people and white officers especially. Though I agree with the police representative that trying to get into the head of this guy is not a useful endeavor.

I had the same reaction as you, never heard of something like it. A friend pointed out this story to me.

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/05/14/us/police-drop-bomb-on-radicals-home-in-philadelphia.html?pagewanted=all

The short version is a militant group got into a shootout/standoff with police in a home with a bunker on top of it. They literally dropped a bomb from a helicopter on top of the house. The ensuing fire spread to 50+ homes.

Yeah that shit was nuts. I read about it earlier this year as well.

The robo bomb thing is just another in a long list of examples of the dystopian cyberpunk future we live in. There's reasons I can only get so excited for playing shadowrun nowadays.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

She also panders to the anti-vax base of the Green Party. She sucks.

Green party suffers from the same thing the democrats do in that they cover a fairly wide group of beliefs, unfortunately their wide group of beliefs are the batshit ones.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    As a philadelphian, the MOVE bombings are still one of the worst things to ever happen in this city. One of many reasons why black people in this city still don't trust the police, and I don't blame them at all.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    simosimo Registered User regular

i don't think she's lost touch with reality at all, she just has different priorities

a minor party that gets 5%+ of the popular vote becomes eligible for public funding in the next election

i think bernie would very likely get that if he ran on the green ticket

i doubt very much she has any expectations that bernie could win

bugss2.jpg
  • Options

They thought DJ Roomba was dead.

They were wrong

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Having worked with EOD bots in the past, I can say uh

This is definitely a new "tactic" and uh, probably not covered by the warranty

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Man I just don't understand the robo bomb thing, when I heard the police chief talking about it he first said explosive and I figured oh it was probably some kind of flash or smoke thing (something not designed just to kill) and it went wrong like maybe the guy shot it or something

Then a line or two later he just says bomb and I'm just amazed that bomb carrying robot is a thing and I'm not sure what step robo-bomb is a logical progression from

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Man I just don't understand the robo bomb thing, when I heard the police chief talking about it he first said explosive and I figured oh it was probably some kind of flash or smoke thing (something not designed just to kill) and it went wrong like maybe the guy shot it or something

Then a line or two later he just says bomb and I'm just amazed that bomb carrying robot is a thing and I'm not sure what step robo-bomb is a logical progression from

It was definitely not a robot made for that express purpose

EOD bots typically have grip claws so they can grab/pull/drag objects, as well as cameras so the operators can see what's going on, and basically high powered water guns which're used to disable explosives

Likely a bomb tech made an actual bomb on-site, since I doubt police have actual frag grenades or anything, and carried it in using the grip/activated it remotely

Steam
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

Edit: *Some* EOD robots have a shaped charge to detonate suspicious packages, it sounds like that's what this was.

In general though, yeah, most of them have the water cannon.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    vsove wrote: »

EOD robots have a shaped charge to detonate suspicious packages, it sounds like that's what this was.

I mean, if it was a shaped charge it wasn't something I had experience with in my time working on these kinds of bots, but I guess there's a chance they're used in the States or were sold exclusively by other retailers? Though I never saw anything like that at trade shows; might be they're not sold in Canada.

As far as I know, they mostly use hydraulic guns that essentially shoot high-powered water bullets.

Steam
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

Wait, what?

Link to the video.

the Philly PD once infamously dropped an improvised bomb out of a helicopter on a house during a siege in the 1970s

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    vsove wrote: »

EOD robots have a shaped charge to detonate suspicious packages, it sounds like that's what this was.

I mean, if it was a shaped charge it wasn't something I had experience with in my time working on these kinds of bots, but I guess there's a chance they're used in the States or were sold exclusively by other retailers? Though I never saw anything like that at trade shows; might be they're not sold in Canada.

As far as I know, they mostly use hydraulic guns that essentially shoot high-powered water bullets.

Yeah, the ones I have experience with are all the water bullet variety.

The shaped charge version is something folks were mentioning elsewhere but I'm absolutely just taking their word on it. Like you said, could easily have just been something a bomb tech built.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    They just leveled up one of their bomb disposal robots until it hit level 20 and then let it evolve into a bomb dispersal robot.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I could see a major city's anti-terror section or bomb squad having a bomb disposal robot. And I expect when the dude starts yelling about having bombs around the city, that the bomb squad gets called in. Doesn't have to be a large explosion, robot could have been nice and close.

Hell, maybe they had the robot remotely hooked up to the negotiator.

It is scary though.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Explosive Disposal Ordnance

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Looks like the device was attached to the robots manipulator arm.

So it definitely wasn't factory issue.

This discussion has been closed.