Options

The [steam] thread: Enter at your backlog's risk!

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Assault rifles are hilariously overpowered. I have been walking over the game with an Elf with Quickness/Ranged Combat/Rifles on the hardest difficulty.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Yeah, that build will be plenty killy. You can probably actually leave your combat skills like that for a while and put more points into Etiquettes and the like.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    On the bright side, $30 to everyone who got swindled by Nvidia and bought a 970. So that's a good thing. :D

Woo! Though I've been pretty happy with my 970.

Most people I know who have the 970 have said the same thing, it's an amazing card that didn't need the false advertising. So this payout is like icing on the cake.

So wait, is it just Newegg customers that are getting money? I got mine from Amazon last September.
    This is all news to me. I got msi 970 from a PC store in Melbourne, Australia. I wonder if I'll get that money as well?

Nah it was done in a Californian court so only yanks get the dollery doos

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VirtualVoltVirtualVolt Registered User regular
    I dropped around 8 hours into Shadowrun: Hong Kong and fell in love with the aesthetic and the world, but as always happens with RPGs I just ended up wanting to play the tabletop version instead! But those games are really neat and well polished, really enjoyed some of the writing. Especially Kindly Cheng, she's awesome in a sick and twisted way.
    232ci6m3t11w.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    an_alt wrote: »
    Rolled a new character for Shadowrun: Dragonfall DC and started the tutorial mission with her. I think it's a fairly conservative build, but those more familiar with the system can let me know if I'm wrong.

Body - 4

Quickness - 5
    Ranged Combat - 5
    Rifle - 4
    Dodge - 1

Intelligence - 2

Charisma - 4

The plan would be to dump karma into body and rifle with a few extra points to dodge, charisma, and the magic defense stat (willpower?)

Is this a pretty safe, if dull, build?

Yes. Note that you may want some strength for body armor(iirc) and for some ranged weapons. You will also want to put a few points into shotguns/pistols so you have something to use at close range*. A few points of willpower aren't bad for resisting spells either and spell dips for buffs aren't worthless. You have enough charisma for the entire game. You may want enough bio in order to see hit points as that is super nice. You may also want to do some spell dipping in cha spells if you're that high.

Will get more in depth later.

*which one is better depends but generally shotguns

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Hey remember last week the story about a game being delayed a week because the publisher forgot to push the GO button? Well it's been a week and This Is The Police is here and it looks fucken cool as hell

http://store.steampowered.com/app/443810/

A strategy, city management and crime adventure game all wrapped up in one with a neat artistic style.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Honestly I've never felt the need for shotguns or similar up close. A full auto burst from a rifle annihilates almost everything.

• Options
    BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Berylline wrote: »
    Speaking of my Dragon Age: Origins streams, this Thursday will be Benji costume day! I'll be streaming at 9:00 PM Eastern. The link is my signature, but you can find me on Twitch at BerryBea. (I'll be streaming this evening, too, and possibly Wednesday, but costume day is Thursday.) I feel like I'm getting near to the end of the game. I don't know how near, but I think I'm getting there!

Does this mean Benji will be in a costume or that you will be in a Benji costume?

Benji will be in costume! It was a charity drive incentive. :) It also looks like I'll probably be finishing up the game on Thursday, so it's really good timing. I will still be playing Awakening afterwards though.

Unrelated, Abzu has now been added to steamgifts!
    signature.png

• Options
    edited August 2016
    @an_alt

OK so some things to note

First:

You cannot go over your racial maximum in a stat in any way. Any and all buffs over are lost. Additionally in order to place a point in a support skill you need a the NATURAL position of the main skill to be high enough. Buffs don't count. Buffs are only stats:

Such the ideal buffs you're looking for on items are on dependent skills or secondary attributes. +ranged combat is really good. + quickness is less so.

Cyberware tends to offer better specialized bonuses than stat bonuses. +armor +to-hit +new abilities are all very powerful.

Second:

Your "to-hit" stat is quickness/strength and ranged/close combat. Specific weapon skills only boost critical chance. Critical chance is very low if enemies are in cover and very high if they are not and the per-point bonus is very low. Such these skills are largely only for the bonus skills, which can be quite valuable.

Generally you're looking to maximize "attacks/AP". And "Burst Fire" does that best with "Full Auto" being second. Additionally anything that knocks enemies out of cover is exceptionally powerful.

Such you won't want much more than is required for the bonus you want. This might be 6 for pistols, 3 or 5 or rarely 7 for rifles, 1, 2, or 3 for shotguns, and 5 for SMG's. Note that you can still bring whatever weapon you want even with low values, its quite worth it to bring along a pistol that has burst fire or a shotgun and swap between your AR and that.

Tasers and Grenade launchers are also very good secondary/tertiary weapons.

Third:

Dips can be very powerful. 2 In biotech lets you see enemy HP. 2 in spellcasting lets you use heal(and iirc aim), 2 in chi casting gets you magic resistance 1, 3 in spirit summoning gets you a totem (they all cost 1 AP to use), and 2 in chi-casting gets you a spell that can create cover.

----

Specific Skill Breakpoints you will want to know about

1) Ranged Combat 8 is generally necessary to equip the best weapons. You can get +1 ranged combat from your outfit (not sure if this counts though, will also cost you 2 armor) so you will want least 7 and probably 8 raw quickness.

2) There is a specific rifle typed weapon that requires strength 7 to equip which you can acquire in the end game. You can get +2 from cyberarms to make this requirement only 5. You can get another 1 from your outfit but this would cost you 1 in ranged combat.

3) Smartlinks are worth +6% accuracy which is about 1 to 2 points of quickness iirc. So you can decide if the datajack is worth it.

edit: Damage bonuses are "per attack" so things like "the wild huntsman" turn weapons that get a lot of attacks/ap by default (such as SMG's) into hilarious death dealing machines.

edit2: Prior post was incorrect, no strength is needed for body armor.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Talking about Shadowrun Dragonfall, is there any specific holes in the team comps that you should aim for, when using the NPC companions that actually have lines? Like I heard that you might want the PC to be a decker?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Talking about Shadowrun Dragonfall, is there any specific holes in the team comps that you should aim for, when using the NPC companions that actually have lines? Like I heard that you might want the PC to be a decker?

I can't think of one. I ran solid mage, and dicn't have any trouble with either the shootier/slashier bits or the decking bits. I expect you get more tricks in your bag if the PC is a decker than I had, but they served sufficiently well to get the job done.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Speaking of my Dragon Age: Origins streams, this Thursday will be Benji costume day! I'll be streaming at 9:00 PM Eastern. The link is my signature, but you can find me on Twitch at BerryBea. (I'll be streaming this evening, too, and possibly Wednesday, but costume day is Thursday.) I feel like I'm getting near to the end of the game. I don't know how near, but I think I'm getting there!

Does this mean Benji will be in a costume or that you will be in a Benji costume?

Benji will be in costume! It was a charity drive incentive. :) It also looks like I'll probably be finishing up the game on Thursday, so it's really good timing. I will still be playing Awakening afterwards though.

Unrelated, Abzu has now been added to steamgifts!
    signature.png

Thanks for putting that up! I've been eying that game closely, such a serene looking thing. Reminds me of ENdless Ocean and Journey, both games I would put in my top 10 all time favourites!

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I swear the Incubator level of Duke Nukem sounded exactly like the factory track from final fantasy VII

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

There is a decker companion, thought it takes a couple missions to recruit him.

There's no mage in the team and so that's the biggest hole to plug. There's a shaman, but they tend to be more support than damage.

I would say at the very least ignore melee and shaman as they are the best companion characters. The decker's on the dull side and the soldier can be kind of grating, but I took her a lot for her antagonistic disagreements making the party dynamic fun.

Really though, don't roll decker. Decking is consistently the worst part of all 3 SR games. It's worth bringing one sometimes and the game is fairly good at hinting at when those times might be, but it's not something to be saddled with for the entire game.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »

I would say at the very least ignore melee and shaman as they are the best companion characters. The decker's on the dull side and the soldier can be kind of grating, but I took her a lot for her antagonistic disagreements making the party dynamic fun.

Let me tell you about the secret best weapon in Shadowrun, Shaman barriers.

• Options
    McHoger wrote: »

Let me tell you about the secret best weapon in Shadowrun, Shaman barriers.

Well yeah, I meant ignore as in don't make your own because Dietrech is awesome and worth bringing usually.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

There is a decker companion, thought it takes a couple missions to recruit him.

There's no mage in the team and so that's the biggest hole to plug. There's a shaman, but they tend to be more support than damage.

Really though, don't roll decker. Decking is consistently the worst part of all 3 SR games. It's worth bringing one sometimes and the game is fairly good at hinting at when those times might be, but it's not something to be saddled with for the entire game.

TBH, I'm not even sure I used a mage in the first one

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Not particularly. The only downside to not being a decker is that your decker will be alone and they will not be as good as you. Its not a huge problem. Especially since the NPC decker gets flush and actually doesn't suck at combat.

The weakest character IMO is the conjurer. It takes him a long time to get good spells(besides heal and aim) and he never has good offense so you end up just kind of killing things without him, and he never gets the top tier haste... and haste 1 was nerfed hard in the last patch. After that its the soldier. Her damage isn't all that much higher than the decker or medic once the decker and medic get going and she doesn't bring anything else to the team.

Blitz's marking is really good (and gets really better) and he strips armor with his SMG... and he gets flush. Glory's melee is competent... and melee attacks remove cover... and her pistol attacks are also quite good... and she gets an extra AP compared to the soldier.

Rifle/Pistol main + Blitz+Glory+Deitrich is probably your strongest team. edit: just make sure you don't get the fire elemental upgrade, its terrible

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Just finished (and 100%'d) Hero of the Kingdom I and II. They are pretty neat little hybrid point and click/hidden object/RPG games. Devolves into pixel hunting a bit if you want to 100% them, but overall fun games. Pretty cheap too, only about ten bucks for both of them.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I started Shadowrun Returns so long ago that I can't go back now. I'd probably have to start over and I don't really wanna do that.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    I started Shadowrun Returns so long ago that I can't go back now. I'd probably have to start over and I don't really wanna do that.

Just go to Dragonfall. Returns is a bore.

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    @Firebird is, for some reason, believing that the model of a school is the school itself.

gyIiMjs.png

Thank you kindly for Layers of Fear, which looks honestly pretty damn terrifying.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    While Dragonfall is much, much better. I still enjoyed Returns! (apart from the decking parts, of course)

Need to dive into the latest soon.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Pistoldecker was surprisingly effective throughout the Shadowrun games, especially in Hong Kong where I paired that with a laser whip because fuck it I've got the points/nueyn. In the late game you can lay down an insane amount of ammo in a single turn, and pistols governs tasers, which are great at shutting down enemy conjurers and riggers.

That said, don't forget you can loan equipment to party members, and that includes programs for deckers. Kit up Blitz with a sniffer for accuracy and you paper over his one major deficiency, and I think Is0bel could use an exploder or something. Most of the time you're explicitly warned when you'll need a decker, but you can definitely get by without being one yourself.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    My memory is fuzzy as it has been a while, but I didn't encounter too many problems with a pistol/shaman main. Who knows if that's a poor combo, but it worked for me!

And in other news, @Berylline strikes!

urx79zy622yw.png

Amazing underwater goodness for me to immerse myself in and marine life for me to gaze at adoringly, haha, thank you!

Ashe on
    ABZU.PNG 192.8K
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    @Karoz : just so you know, I'm keeping track of these and my retribution shall be swift and brutal.

OG0CZgr.jpg

<3 Seriously holy shit I've been lusting after this game.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular
    Has anyone tried the Batman Taletell game? Is it any good? I'm a sucker for all things Batman, so I'm really hoping this is good.

In other news, with the VR weekend deal up this past weekend, and knowing that I will, eventually get a VR headset, I thought I'd pick a few things up. I grabbed Elite: Dangerous, Brookhaven, and Vanishing Realms. And then through no fault of my own, I maaaaay have broke down and just ordered a Vive too. Damnit, Valve, well played. Well played.

26965406221_865f825658.jpg
    Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
  • Options
    Definitely would go Rift of i ever have the means, thanks to Valves insane markup of the Vive in the UK.

• Options
    LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Definitely would go Rift of i ever have the means, thanks to Valves insane markup of the Vive in the UK.

Well, I wrestled with that considering the price difference, but ultimately I figured if I was gonna drop that kinda coin I wanted room scale.

26965406221_865f825658.jpg
    Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
  • Options
    I would have gone with the Vive but they're citing Brexit as the reason for the markup which is bonkers as it shouldn't be that much of an increase. Hopefully in a year or two when i can afford it, they'll drop the price down to sensible, non bullshit standards.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    PS3 backlog = PS3 backlog + 1 {Lollipop Chainsaw acquired}

So doom. Such games.

On the Steam front, I started a couple recent acquisitions:
    Ghost of a Tale is every bit as pretty and neat and beautifully animated as it looks. It's fun and clever and has some great humor to boot. Ran into a pirate frog imprisoned by the [bad] rats, offered to find a way to free him... "Why would I want to be free? Being free is what got me thrown in here in the first place!"

CrossCode is a delightful bit of retro-art gaming with fun mechanics and a neat premise. Looking forward to seeing where this goes. And I adore the expressiveness of the main character (who can't speak), especially considering the art style. It's just really well done.

Also poked briefly at Ghost 1.0 and that seems like it'll be pretty fun. Also an amusing main character who would rather just blow everything up and be done with it. At one point in the tutorial I was supposed to sneak past a guard robot after being sternly warned by my AI guide to be stealthy and quiet... but I screwed it up and got noticed, so I shot the robot to pieces instead. Guide: "What was that??" Me: "Stealth!"

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    If no one is left alive to tell the tale then you technically got through undetected.

• Options
    Hey it worked for Dishonored.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I dropped around 8 hours into Shadowrun: Hong Kong and fell in love with the aesthetic and the world, but as always happens with RPGs I just ended up wanting to play the tabletop version instead! But those games are really neat and well polished, really enjoyed some of the writing. Especially Kindly Cheng, she's awesome in a sick and twisted way.
    232ci6m3t11w.png

Aunt Cheng is basically a Hong Kong Triad version of Mallory Archer.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    I basically just couldn't put Dex down - almost like a good book or something. I'm so glad I got this game. It was well worth every hard one steam trading card I sold to fund it originally.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    That shoutout earlier in the week about The Fall only being 99 cents is more relevant now.
    The Fall Part Two has been announced to be coming to the PS4 early next year. Presumably it'll hit Steam as well.
    I didn't assume a second one would be happening for sure, and the first game stands well enough on its own. But there's more on the way.

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    My biggest issue with Dragonfall is that it isn't always intuitive what how the stats/karma affect things. Like, is Dodge a defense vs all ranged and melee physical attacks? It just says physical attacks. Not sure if there is a reason to push Strength over 6 because 6 seems to be the stat check number for the few STR checks, and so on.

Really enjoying the game though, finished a bunch of party member quests, and I think this Azteknology run is going to whup me. Love the overall writing and atmosphere.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Goumindong wrote: »

Not particularly. The only downside to not being a decker is that your decker will be alone and they will not be as good as you. Its not a huge problem. Especially since the NPC decker gets flush and actually doesn't suck at combat.

The weakest character IMO is the conjurer. It takes him a long time to get good spells(besides heal and aim) and he never has good offense so you end up just kind of killing things without him, and he never gets the top tier haste... and haste 1 was nerfed hard in the last patch. After that its the soldier. Her damage isn't all that much higher than the decker or medic once the decker and medic get going and she doesn't bring anything else to the team.

Blitz's marking is really good (and gets really better) and he strips armor with his SMG... and he gets flush. Glory's melee is competent... and melee attacks remove cover... and her pistol attacks are also quite good... and she gets an extra AP compared to the soldier.

Rifle/Pistol main + Blitz+Glory+Deitrich is probably your strongest team. edit: just make sure you don't get the fire elemental upgrade, its terrible

i ran a troll phys ad with a katana and cyberware in dragonfall, just because they'd reworked the class following a lacklustre showing in DMS. a little risky early on but it becomes a double room sprinting, cover stripping, stun locking machine by the end. with that just take blitz for decking and combination of choice for finishing people off.

manji on
  • Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    What is the driver that's been recommended here to use a Dualshock 4 for the PC?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    LutExIV wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the Batman Taletell game? Is it any good? I'm a sucker for all things Batman, so I'm really hoping this is good.
    @LutExIV
    No first hand experience, but word on the web is that the PC release is on par with the PC release of Arkham Knight.
    http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/2/12361450/batman-the-telltale-series-pc-issues-steam

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
This discussion has been closed.