As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Legion: Kingdoms are being burnt

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    So, Hemet Nesingwary in Highmountain. Does the usual. Go kill X things.

Unless you are a skinner...

If you know skinning, he doesn't seem to give you the quests he gives everyone else. He gives you a quest for specific hides from the same creatures he just sent everyone else to kill.
    Meaning that if the area is active enough you don't even have to kill anything. Just wander around skinning stuff the non-skinners leave behind.

That is brilliant.

-edit-

Assuming I didn't just do things in the wrong order.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Is there a server with a big PA presence that'd be worth transferring to?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    don't overthink artifact power

you could delay doing suramar and etc. until you have a couple ranks of artifact knowledge under your belt, but by delaying suramar you're also delaying rep, dungeon unlocks and better gear.

Plus the gain from doing that wouldn't even be that large in real terms. I have 13 traits unlocked atm and if I'd had 50% more artifact power all along I'd only have like one more trait

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    There is no beating the odds when a level 100 decides to camp you in Hillsbrad.

That's the only world PvP that I have an issue with, and I believe it's the majority of it.

In a roundabout way, I agreed with you believing that is the majority of it. But that opinion is just as biased as the very few people in this thread who think otherwise.

But opinions are opinions, and your deserves to be respected just as much as the dissenting one. Others opinions do NOT need to be referred to as "they fool themselves into thinking" though.

I know I'm late to this, but nah, man. I've been playing since MC was released and world pvp has always been annoying. And yeah, I did TM/SS all the time. But mostly my experiences have been getting ganked in stranglethorn vale or the crossroads or [insert leveling area here]. You're not talking to a representative group of people here: You're talking to a subset of a subset of a subset (the wow players who are PA people who post in the mmo sub forum).

• Options
    MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    So I finished Val'Sharah this morning. I get what people were saying and why people don't like it, but I also think I get where blizzard is going with it. One thing bothered me though.
    The sayers themselves state that they serve the old gods, and we've always known that to be the case.
    The burning legion supposedly hates the old gods.
    So, why does Tyrande say that the corruption and nightmare are the fault of the legion? Is it a case of lack of knowledge of what the real motivator is, plus the timing of it all?

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Well cho'gall has a horde guild.

I'm wondering if there's a big alliance presence that could be corralled here to do raiding later in the expansion. I have... 10 toons on alliance side and 1 paladin horde side.

So what do you think? any takers on trying to get an alliance organization up and running?

• Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    are any of you dudes leveling priests as discipline? How do you feel about it? My priest's gear is pretty bad and I thought maybe it'd give me more sustain, since shadow would probably be slow going anyway

Yes hello!

Discipline has been good... I did 100-105 as pure Disc. What hurts most is no AoE but there's no real slowing down.

I switched to shadow because... Well frankly you only use about 4 spells and you're practically immortal as Discipline. It can feel very monotonous after a while. I hit 110 tonight and finished as Discipline after my Shadow sabbatical.

Shadow's artifact is very cool. It adds flavor everywhere. I honestly suggest dabbling in both. I will say that the +.50% damage bonus for each trait in Light's Wrath can favor it in the long run Vs Shadow... If you are doing treasure hunting and rares.

• Options
    KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    So, I've been thinking Blackout Combo is the best talent the tier. Apparently not, it's about equal and in some situations worse than High Tolerance. Blackout Combo is *the* reason I finally decided to go monk over the better tank classes, it just makes the spec more fun. But it requires a lot more effort to get results, and so it's actually much worse than High Tolerance, since you can't screw up with HT. This seems to be a running theme with Legion specs/talent tiers, effort does not translate to results.

Also skinning is horrible. Shitty people tagging and running, never looting -> no skinning for me. And ninja skinners strike also.

Keemossi on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    So I finished Val'Sharah this morning. I get what people were saying and why people don't like it, but I also think I get where blizzard is going with it. One thing bothered me though.
    The sayers themselves state that they serve the old gods, and we've always known that to be the case.
    The burning legion supposedly hates the old gods.
    So, why does Tyrande say that the corruption and nightmare are the fault of the legion? Is it a case of lack of knowledge of what the real motivator is, plus the timing of it all?
    Satyrs were originally created by the Legion out of Night Elves, when the Legion was defeated during the War of the Ancients, they were forced out from Azeroth and the Satyrs were left to find new patrons.

My understanding is that while out of universe we know that the Old Gods are responsible for the Nightmare, Malfurion and company don't.

3clipse wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    Here are my issues with Val'sharah:
    -How was some random satyr asshole even able to get the Tear? That's an incredibly holy relic of a powerful god and he just walked off with it?

-How was he powerful enough to KILL A DEMIGOD and then make the Tear CORRUPT A DRAGON ASPECT in like 20 fucking minutes? IT TOOK N'ZOTH CENTURIES [millennia?] TO MANAGE THAT. ARE YOU TELLING ME THIS SATYR IS ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE MORE POWERFUL THAN N'ZOTH.

-Oh also he just casually merced Malfurion too, no biggie. Not like that guy's at all powerful.

-Also he's not a storied enemy we've met before and heard legends of, he's some random livejournal edgelord who wears too much eyeliner and won't shut the fuck up about Hot Topic and he just waltzed in and shit on every single powerful figure in Druid lore because Blizzard's heroes are incredibly powerful except when it would be convenient for them to be baby birds.

-Oh it's evil Ysera. Oh we're killing evil Ysera, yeah we'll just casually kill one of the Dragon Aspects, no that's fine no biggie there what could go wrong.

-Oh Elune took her ghost away or some shit because Reasons cool that's fine IS NO ONE CONCERNED ABOUT THE FACT THAT THE ASPECT OF DREAM JUST DIED THAT'S KIND OF A PROBLEM.

It's just...it's such incredibly bad writing, start to finish, once you start those Temple of Elune quests.

technically she's not
    the aspect of dream anymore, the dragons gave up the powers of the dragon aspects to kill deathwing

she's still a Strong And Powerful Dragon Who Has More Magic Than You though

Right, like...
    she's tens of thousands of years old, she's an ancient and powerful dragon, and just like that loldead? ugh.

@Nobody fair enough, but this is the first time he ever shows up in WoW. I have always thought it's shit ass writing to have a super power villain who's only been established in other forms of media [i.e. most of the players won't know them at all] show up and kill three major, incredibly powerful characters. It's like Kai Leng in Mass Effect, he's in the books and he's a Noted Official Badass, but if you only played the games he just shows up and mercs Thane and it's like wtf why

Also just in general Blizzard needs a new plot device other than AND THEN THE BAD GUYS CORRUPTED THE GOOD GUYS SO YOU HAD TO FIGHT THEM. You've been beating that horse for decades guys, there are other narrative devices out there, come on.
    I'm 90% sure that the reason we have Xavius and the Emerald Nightmare in game with Legion was due to outcry that they tried to resolve the Emerald Nightmare storyline in a book, and since they tied it all back to Xavius in the book they wanted to keep their canon straight for the game.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Is there a reason to make engineering goggles? They're lower iLevel than my pre legion event hat (715 vs 720)

is it just not worth making anything until level 110 and you get rank 3?

Also I saw some level 103 crafted leather pants but engi goggles look like they're always level 101 so idk

I feel like I'm missing something

override367 on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

We've been answering this a lot, so people will tend to ignore these posts. The short answer is No. The long answer is that there's a Discord channel set up for coordinating across PA peeps.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    Does anyone have any good recommendations for UI mods? The classes that i played i have to look for a debuff on my target, or a buff on myself, and everything is so freakin' tiny that i can barely see them. I can't find any options in the default UI to help out but if one exists, that would also be helpful.

Tidy Plates is a good replacement for the default nameplates and shows debuffs you've applied to targets.

Elkano's Buff Bars replaces the buff icons with lists of buffs/debuffs applied to your character, including the name of each one.

I use them both and am happy with it.

Additionally, you could try WeakAuras, which you can set up to let you know when a buff/debuff expires. It can be done for your targets too, but it seems to me that it's a little more complicated.

I use TellMeWhen for a simple way to monitor Buffs/Debuffs. I set up the icons right next to my character's unit frame.

I also rebuilt my UI back around the beginning of MoP, so I've got addons for just about everything.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Zunde wrote: »
    I'm happy as a clam and broke as a joke.
    rs3i7z3s0hmt.jpg

5. Years. Of. Playtime.

(gratz?)

Mugsley on
  • Options
    Javen wrote: »
    What I got from the Val ending:
    Lots of people have done the Crusader Bradenbrad quest in Icecrown right? Where you try a bunch of different ways to prevent a crusader from becoming undead? Finally A'dal comes by and takes him to heaven?

Ysera is Bradenbrad and Elune is A'dal

I don't know how you guys remember this stuff. I did that quest, literally, 7 years ago. I've had two kids and two houses since then.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    there's been a couple of forum guilds over the course of time and ultimately there just aren't enough people interested to sustain one (at least, in addition to the SE one on cho'gall.)

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

We've been answering this a lot, so people will tend to ignore these posts. The short answer is No. The long answer is that there's a Discord channel set up for coordinating across PA peeps.

I've said it before and i'll say it again. The guild question is the Mankrik's wife of these forums.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    There is no beating the odds when a level 100 decides to camp you in Hillsbrad.

That's the only world PvP that I have an issue with, and I believe it's the majority of it.

In a roundabout way, I agreed with you believing that is the majority of it. But that opinion is just as biased as the very few people in this thread who think otherwise.

But opinions are opinions, and your deserves to be respected just as much as the dissenting one. Others opinions do NOT need to be referred to as "they fool themselves into thinking" though.

I know I'm late to this, but nah, man. I've been playing since MC was released and world pvp has always been annoying. And yeah, I did TM/SS all the time. But mostly my experiences have been getting ganked in stranglethorn vale or the crossroads or [insert leveling area here]. You're not talking to a representative group of people here: You're talking to a subset of a subset of a subset (the wow players who are PA people who post in the mmo sub forum).

And I played since then too, and nah man, it was fun.

I can do this too :bzz:

(you quoted the one post that had like no content, I basically addressed everything you said there in many others)

Kai_San on
  • Options
    Mc zany wrote: »

I've said it before and i'll say it again. The guild question is the Mankrik's wife of these forums.

I think we need to have @Dhalphir include the Discord info in his sig (and possibly a statement as well that says there's no formal PA guild). He's the lynchpin!

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Keemossi wrote: »
    But it requires a lot more effort to get results, and so it's actually much worse than High Tolerance, since you can't screw up with HT. This seems to be a running theme with Legion specs/talent tiers, effort does not translate to results.

that sounds fine to me? If you want to add some extra complexity and fun to your rotation, you can do so, but people who don't want that aren't forced to play a convoluted spec because it's flat out superior? Like that sounds to me to be literally their design goal.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Mc zany wrote: »

I think we need to have @Dhalphir include the Discord info in his sig (and possibly a statement as well that says there's no formal PA guild). He's the lynchpin!

We can put it in the next OP. We're due for a new thread fairly soon.

Nobody reads signatures.

• Options
    Nobody reads OPs!

\o/

• Options
    I read signatures AND ops!

I has much minority.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    But it requires a lot more effort to get results, and so it's actually much worse than High Tolerance, since you can't screw up with HT. This seems to be a running theme with Legion specs/talent tiers, effort does not translate to results.

that sounds fine to me? If you want to add some extra complexity and fun to your rotation, you can do so, but people who don't want that aren't forced to play a convoluted spec because it's flat out superior? Like that sounds to me to be literally their design goal.

I'd say more that it seems that more complex rotations and abilities are rewarded, just not to an extreme degree. For instance, I'm maining a Balance Druid this expansion. Fury of Elune is a complex talent that will change how you play significantly. It's also a single target dps boost (3-7%), and a really big cleave dps boost. You don't HAVE to use it to do good dps, but to be the best you can be, you need to use it. It's a similar thing with the Stellar Flare talent, which adds another dot to manage that draws from astral power. It's a small dps increase on a single target, more on 2 or 3 targets.

Not necessary, but again, a decent boost.

I'm happy with this model. Originally I was going to pass on balance because it was far too simple for my liking, but with different talent choices the gameplay opens up a little.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Nobody reads OPs!

\o/

It's true

• Options
    Not rewarding for more complex play is incredibly, jaw droppingly, amazingly stupid and shitty design if that's really intentional. Why would you ever pick the more complex option unless it's better by a significant margin? The boring passive options are reliable no matter how much mechanical shit you have to deal with meanwhile. If the more complex option is, when played optimally, equal, there is no point ever picking it.

Which is super annoying, since brewmaster isn't that fun without Blackout Combo, but if I can have similar results even when my fps drops, when I panic, when I'm tired and fail.. yeah, I'll just get the boring shit.

• Options
    Not rewarding for more complex play is incredibly, jaw droppingly, amazingly stupid and shitty design if that's really intentional. Why would you ever pick the more complex option unless it's better by a significant margin? The boring passive options are reliable no matter how much mechanical shit you have to deal with meanwhile. If the more complex option is, when played optimally, equal, there is no point ever picking it.

Which is super annoying, since brewmaster isn't that fun without Blackout Combo, but if I can have similar results even when my fps drops, when I panic, when I'm tired and fail.. yeah, I'll just get the boring shit.

This debate is exactly why people are still salty about the Hunter shot rotations back in TBC.

• Options

That sounds like more of an issue with how you're approaching the game. If the simple talent was better, then I'd agree with you, but if it's equal then what's the problem?

Either the complexity introduced by blackout combo is fun or it is not fun. If it is fun and viable then play it.

• Options

It is only stupid if you are shortsighted and really don't understand balance.

If you make anything better than another thing, no one uses anything else because you HAVE to use the best dps option no matter what don't you know!

There are plenty of people who WANT to be challenged in their game style and don't need a "reward" for it.

By making everything an equal choice, you make it a choice. All making it better if it's complicated will do it make everyone force you to take the complex option, and if you can't handle it, not take you.

• Options
    No, if they're equal there is no choice. The simple one is better. Same results for less effort.

Like, Blackout Combo is what really makes brewmaster fun. But say I panic and press the wrong buttons in a tight spot and wipe the group. Wouldn't have happened with the boring talent. Intentionally crippling myself is NOT fun, it's really fucking stupid.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Sorry again if I'm asking questions that have already been asked countless times in the thread, but I can't find a good way to search that. Is there a good, concise resource to review all of the major mechanical changes since Cataclysm? The ones that I've run into are -

1. Mob tagging doesn't seem to be a thing anymore? Is there a cutoff for xp/loot credit in terms of %damage done?
    2. The comments about guilds got me to look for cross-realm play that was apparently implemented. How does that work? Is it like GW2 megaservers?
    3. Glyphs seem to be gone?
    4. Talent trees have seen...some changes
    5. There's a 4th druid spec?

I'm sure there is a lot else that I'm missing, if anyone knows of a "major changes in x, y, and z expansions" overview page that'd be awesome.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    No, if they're equal there is no choice. The simple one is better. Same results for less effort.

Like, Blackout Combo is what really makes brewmaster fun. But say I panic and press the wrong buttons in a tight spot and wipe the group. Wouldn't have happened with the boring talent. Intentionally crippling myself is NOT fun, it's really fucking stupid.

You have a very close minded view so I guess enjoy that opinion. just know that no matter how much you want to ignore it, there are others who do not feel this way.

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Kneel wrote: »
    My Goblin Holy Priest was 101 this morning when I queued as a healer for a random dungeon. Got grouped with level 107-110 players, but I figured that the scaling would take care of matters - it did for the prior two random dungeons I did, and they went without a hitch.

Jesus. The druid tank took ridiculous damage that I could barely keep up with and just kept pulling more mobs. Nor would he pick up the mobs that decided to give me a kicking. Or move out of the fire.

Cherry on the cake: get told to 'level up 101 faggot' by the 110 dps warrior who obnoxiously ignored the damage he was taking by refusing to move.

On the plus side, LFG is normally pretty straightforward. This was definitely the exception to the rule.

On the other hand, it's comforting to know that wow hasn't changed that much

• Options
    Sorry again if I'm asking questions that have already been asked countless times in the thread, but I can't find a good way to search that. Is there a good, concise resource to review all of the major mechanical changes since Cataclysm? The ones that I've run into are -

1. Mob tagging doesn't seem to be a thing anymore? Is there a cutoff for xp/loot credit in terms of %damage done?
    2. The comments about guilds got me to look for cross-realm play that was apparently implemented. How does that work? Is it like GW2 megaservers?

I'm sure there is a lot else that I'm missing, if anyone knows of a "major changes in x, y, and z expansions" overview page that'd be awesome.

1. Full XP even if you just auto attack and run away while someone else is killing it (someone tell me if I'm wrong here)
    2. All zones are cross-realm, in that you'll see people from other servers while you're traveling about. These *seem to* be related to any servers that were merged (obv), as well as servers in the same "cluster." What I'm not clear on is whether server clusters are still A Thing. You can also use the Group Finder tool in-game to play on other servers.
    3. Glyphs are now consumables and are pretty much cosmetic only. (e.g. change the way your spells look or how your summoned helpers [e.g. Spirit Wolves for Shaman] look)
    4. They were greatly simplified back in MoP. Artifacts have talents in this expansion that are more similar (but not identical) to the old talent trees.
    5. Yes.

• Options
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    Kneel wrote: »
    My Goblin Holy Priest was 101 this morning when I queued as a healer for a random dungeon. Got grouped with level 107-110 players, but I figured that the scaling would take care of matters - it did for the prior two random dungeons I did, and they went without a hitch.

Jesus. The druid tank took ridiculous damage that I could barely keep up with and just kept pulling more mobs. Nor would he pick up the mobs that decided to give me a kicking. Or move out of the fire.

Cherry on the cake: get told to 'level up 101 faggot' by the 110 dps warrior who obnoxiously ignored the damage he was taking by refusing to move.

On the plus side, LFG is normally pretty straightforward. This was definitely the exception to the rule.

On the other hand, it's comforting to know that wow the internet hasn't changed that much

Small typo there, don't worry I got your back.

• Options

You have a very close minded view so I guess enjoy that opinion. just know that no matter how much you want to ignore it, there are others who do not feel this way.

Yes, my closed minded opinion that crippling my character is supposed to be a fun. I guess.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    An option that you explicitly said you find fun is equal to the other talents on the row?

The occasional mistake you might make renders your character crippled? Okay.

I have news for you. You are making mistakes much more significant in impact every time you walk into an instance. Using a single drinking brew at the wrong time is more significant a mistake than messing up ten blackout combo ability triggers.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular

1. Full XP even if you just auto attack and run away while someone else is killing it (someone tell me if I'm wrong here)
    2. All zones are cross-realm, in that you'll see people from other servers while you're traveling about. These *seem to* be related to any servers that were merged (obv), as well as servers in the same "cluster." What I'm not clear on is whether server clusters are still A Thing. You can also use the Group Finder tool in-game to play on other servers.
    3. Glyphs are now consumables and are pretty much cosmetic only. (e.g. change the way your spells look or how your summoned helpers [e.g. Spirit Wolves for Shaman] look)
    4. They were greatly simplified back in MoP. Artifacts have talents in this expansion that are more similar (but not identical) to the old talent trees.
    5. Yes.

One slight caveat: you don't get credit if a member of the opposing faction tags it first.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    After regretting boosting my mage to 100, i ended up switching to frost. While it is certainly less damage, i'm having a great time with it, so the day is saved. The artifact looks amazing.

It took awhile for me to learn the abilities, the interaction between abilities is a little more complicated than fire. I think i'm going to wait just a bit longer before queuing for a legion dungeon (want to replace the majority of my boosted gear, and also to get better at my rotations), but I would definitely be up for running dungeons (I'm MST) with folks here in the near future (on alliance). Feel free to add Gremlidin#1734 if anyone wants.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    It is incredibly frustrating after playing games like GW2 to come back to the faction walled off play. All of my old characters were alliance, but of course all the friends I play with now are horde so I've got my one boosted horde character to play with, while my 4 lvl 80 alliance guys just chill in the corner.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Realize that xavius is on a power order of magnitude similar to Illidan and Azshara. These are all night elf leaders that were corrupted and transformed by the legion. You can find reference to xavius in all the vanilla night elf kalimdor quest zones.

This discussion has been closed.