Options

Rat Rod [chat]

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I love that I can press a button on my phone and say "what is this song" and it is like here is the song.

Now Siri knows you're not a hip trainspotter though

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    When someone says "we use CentOS" it screams "we want RedHat but we're honestly too cheap to afford it" in my mind

My company uses CentOS, I think because they are cheap and also really wish that people would just use windows (but also know that a percentage of technical staff would rebel if forced off unix).

linux desktop people are annoying as fuck sometimes

I mean, I love linux, but it is deffo not great in a user environment setting (they need some enterprise improvements to get there tbh).

...I am one of those users and I definitely cause problems for IT.
    I do have a windows work laptop for microsoft products and skype for business and all that.

I don't know why you'd even use Linux at the user end, just simply because of Office.

There's really nothing even close on Linux, especially to Office 16.

Google Drive, unless you're in need of a specific feature of Office?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    When someone says "we use CentOS" it screams "we want RedHat but we're honestly too cheap to afford it" in my mind

My company uses CentOS, I think because they are cheap and also really wish that people would just use windows (but also know that a percentage of technical staff would rebel if forced off unix).

I mean, I love linux, but it is deffo not great in a user environment setting (they need some enterprise improvements to get there tbh).

I do have a windows work laptop for microsoft products and skype for business and all that.

I don't know why you'd even use Linux at the user end, just simply because of Office.

I'd wager a guess it has a lot to do with science equipment interfacing.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    brothers

erchfg2wsznd.jpg

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

would you rebel tho

this is important

I need to know where you fall on the nerd ladder

I would.

Having to use Libre Office or Open Office instead of Word and Excel would make me lose my shit.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    gooby I've heard u mention Ranger, what is ur other doggo's name

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Mario maker 3ds! Yes! Finally! With... No online level sharing.

Well that was a Rollercoaster of emotions. Damnit Nintendo stop doing mushrooms.

Why would they do something like this with no appeal whatsoever?

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

VMware is a neato thing, tho.

• Options

would you rebel tho

this is important

I would.

Having to use Libre Office or Open Office instead of Word and Excel would make me lose my shit.

windows nerd

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »

Texas

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    watching old bond movies

old school Bond is rapey as fuuuuuuuuuuck

• Options

might use serial or scsi which are a nightmare on windows.. and even more of a nightmare on a VM

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    i made a mistake and then caught my own mistake before it caused problems but not before letting people know there was a mistake (that i didn't realize was my own)

so much egg on my face *dies*

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options

Google Drive, unless you're in need of a specific feature of Office?

I mean, Google's stuff is decent, but it's not even close either.

I tried to write an IEEE formatted research paper in Google Docs and it felt like trying to eat ice cream with a wheelbarrow.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Gooey why is the name of your second dog kept secret from us? Answer the question!

• Options

Well that was a Rollercoaster of emotions. Damnit Nintendo stop doing mushrooms.

See, I figured you'd at least be able to connect with a special Friend Code (translated into a series of impractical waggles with a proprietary motion controller) and then watch an AI clumsily attempt to play the other person's level.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

would you rebel tho

this is important

I would follow a rebellion if one of the gurus led it but I am not legit enough of a linux user to take that initiative.

--also, I use linux as a desktop environment because most of my work does not involve office at all. It's coding in python and writing scripts to run the python stuff. I don't really know how to script or use the terminal on windows, so it's easier for me to do it in a linux environment. A mac would be fine too because of the terminal.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    edited September 2016

might use serial or scsi which are a nightmare on windows.. and even more of a nightmare on a VM

Didn't even think about that. Very good point.

Edit: What about the Windows Bash compatibility patch they did earlier this year where they actually linked Linux command line stuff directly to Windows? Or is that limited?

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    watching old bond movies

i'm just going to slap you and throw you on the hay in this barn

you know that's how you court a lady

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    watching old bond movies

TBF who could say no to Sean Connery

• Options
    yeah for sure, python and all that are easier to use on linux

especially with shebangs and all that, I wish windows had shebangs sometimes

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Nintendo is about as insane as Konami these days but somewhat more profitable and popular. They keep doing crazy shit. Hopefully the NX is awesome cause I've been worried ever since they decided to name a console the "Wii U"

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    watching old bond movies

TBF who could say no to Sean Connery

well i mean no one who didn't want to get slapped

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Seems like my tuesday night League bros have signed all of the local bros up for an escape room. I...guess it should be fun? I was talking to my mom about it, and she was like 'oh sounds right up your alley' but no, it's the sort of thing people think I might like, but if they think one step farther, they might realize that being trapped in a small area full of collaborative puzzle-solving group-think is possibly *the worst*. But I really want to hang out with these guys, so I'll go for sure. I'm just...a bit skeptical about the activity (although it is a good idea for a group of nerds who are friends/acquaintances with varying degrees of closeness).
    It's basically like a dumbed down version of True Dungeon at Gen Con, I feel. The "puzzles" tend to be either nonsensical or too easy. The Brooklyn 99 episode where Hitchcock and Scully basically solve an escape room is not too far off the mark.

Still, it is usually a fun time, even for introverts.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    did you know that israel made yiddish language theater illegal?
    (is 2 pages too late)

I did not but I am not surprised. It's sad, but people used to have crazy different values with respect to how they viewed cultural/linguistic preservation.
    for some reason I thought israel wouldn't have been so stupid about trying to expunge parts of Jewish culture
    and yet

The idea of creating a new Hebrew state was at the core of the Israel is in the first few decades. Especially with mass immigration from different areas of Europe.

Also you had more than one type of Yiddish coming in. And Russian and German Jews are not exactly friends when it comes to this stuff.
    it was more understandable in the '20s and '30s since whatever, ra-ra Zionism ra-ra assimilation / forging 'new' national identity
    but it was illegal in the '50s which is just mindblowing to me

what would have made them suddenly do an about face on yiddish as a language to get rid of?
    is this a serious question? israel should have tried to preserve yiddish in the post-holocaust world. instead they continued trying to kill it, and now it's dead (and modern israel wants to preserve it now!)

yes it's a serious question. Should have doesn't matter; what isn't understandable about it?

modern israel wants to preserve it, but minority language conservation was not a thing in pretty much any country in the 50s.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

I wish my wife still had shebangs, am I right fellas?

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    But yeah, I love Linux for programming

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

See, I figured you'd at least be able to connect with a special Friend Code (translated into a series of impractical waggles with a proprietary motion controller) and then watch an AI clumsily attempt to play the other person's level.

There is some degree of level sharing actually:
    The 3DS game, released on Wii U last year, comes with 100 built-in courses. You can also play courses designed on the Wii U version of Super Mario Maker, although not all will be compatible. You also won’t be able to search for maps by Course ID.

Ah yes, this makes perfect sense. Make it halfway compatible and hard to navigate for no particular reason. Perfect job, Nintendo. You nailed it.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    This was a good snapchat to follow

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

that was a crazy combo. took watching it in slow mo after the fight to appreciate just hwo noice.

• Options
    hmm what for lunch

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

Payton

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Shivahn wrote: »

I wish my wife still had shebangs, am I right fellas?

ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

• Options
    hmm what for lunch

pizza ofc

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Also, I might like Windows a lot, but I'm load"$",8 4ever.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited September 2016

qxsbht.png
    There. Mobile upload making me look dumb. But the Smarter Every Day dude has a good snapchat.

@spool32

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    sometimes i feel bad like i am neglecting payton in my gooby texts but...

ranger and i have a connection i'm sry

• Options
    due file too hueg

• Options

There is some degree of level sharing actually:
    The 3DS game, released on Wii U last year, comes with 100 built-in courses. You can also play courses designed on the Wii U version of Super Mario Maker, although not all will be compatible. You also won’t be able to search for maps by Course ID.

Ah yes, this makes perfect sense. Make it halfway compatible and hard to navigate for no particular reason. Perfect job, Nintendo. You nailed it.

Is there any part of a mario side scroller that would make something difficult to port to the 3ds for any reason?

This discussion has been closed.