Options

DC Comics Thread! Titans out this week!

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Something I've been thinking about

Everyone pretty much agrees that Superman and Batman's "arch-nemeses" are Lex Luthor and The Joker

But who are the runners-up, there?

The only one I can think of for Superman that is nearly as prominent or as strong of a character is probably Brainiac

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    The Riddler or Ra's for Batman
    Lex also works as an antagonist for Batman

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Top three Batman villains are Ra's al Ghul , Two-Face, and the Riddler

I guess if you want Joker in there you can ditch Ra's, as he doesn't really fit the Batman aesthetic

Top three Superman villains are Lex Luthor, Brainiac, and Darkseid

Although if you want to consider Darkseid as something more than just a Superman villain, I'd probably switch him out for Parasite or Metallo

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

I guess if you want Joker in there you can ditch Ra's, as he doesn't really fit the Batman aesthetic

Although if you want to consider Darkseid as something more than just a Superman villain, I'd probably switch him out for Parasite or Metallo

Zod, as much as I don't give a shit about him

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Keith wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »

Zod, as much as I don't give a shit about him

I thought about Zod but he's the worst (well, second worse, I guess there is Doomsday), and I'm going more with my tops than anything here.

That's sort of where my whole thing with the Joker comes from too.

I do like him, but I like him more as a force of nature than as a nemesis to Batman. The Joker is something that tears through Gotham and leaves the whole damn town is disarray. He's the wrinkle in everyone's plans.

I have some weird Batman opinions though, and they're definitely partially based on what I think should be the case rather than what is frequently represented as the case in comics.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Riddler and Two Face fill the role of Batman nemesis much more comfortably than the Joker in my humble opinion.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I feel like I've done my Batman villain ranking around here before

Riddler is the top of my list, for sure, and Two Face is generally second in line, depending on my mood

Joker rarely makes the top ten

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Two-Face in particular is basically the perfect Batman nemesis due to Bruce/Batman and Harvey's relationship prior to the acid

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Yeah. I think they also both challenge Batman in more interesting ways than just killing loads of people.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Found it
    Straightzi wrote:
    Whoops now I'm doing this

Best Major Batman Villains (totally off the top of my head so I assuredly missed some):
    1. Riddler
    2. Two-Face
    3. Penguin
    4. R'as Al Ghul
    5. Catwoman
    6. Bane
    7. Mr. Freeze
    8. Scarecrow
    9. Poison Ivy
    10. Calendar Man
    11. Black Mask
    12. Clayface
    13. Joker
    14. Hugo Strange
    15. Mad Hatter
    16. Killer Croc
    17. Ventriloquist
    18. Firefly
    19. Man-Bat
    20. Hush

Straightzi on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I mostly just wanted to talk about Brainiac being super underrated as a top-shelf Superman villain

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I mostly just wanted to talk about Brainiac being super underrated as a top-shelf Superman villain
    The problem is that every not-DCAU version hasn't come close to hitting those heights

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Yeah. I think they also both challenge Batman in more interesting ways than just killing loads of people.

Joker can be really good when he's funny. Unfortunately, he hasn't been funny since... well a loooong time.

His story was great in "What Ever Happened to the Caped Crusader?"

• Options
    Oh yeah. I think the Joker can be a great villain. But I don't think we've seen it in a long time, and I kinda feel we won't see it for longer still.

Basically every Joker story tries way too hard to be an IMPORTANT Joker story instead of focusing on being like, a good story.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I think the Joker, as a concept, is too caught up in the idea of being Batman's nemesis

Every modern Joker story is about how he's Batman's nemesis, essentially, rather than being a good story about someone who happens to be Batman's nemesis

Luthor occasionally runs into this problem too, but tends to be a better character in his own right

• Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    That Joker story in Gotham Central was pretty great

• Options
    I mean, Gotham Central is the gold standard for a lot of DC stuff

But yeah, that's probably my favorite Joker story

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    The problem is that every not-DCAU version hasn't come close to hitting those heights

I thought the Geoff Johns and Gary Frank story was pretty good

• Options

It wasn't bad but I am not a fan of how it made every other version of Brainiac be a decoy body and the real Brainiac is a 7 foot tall muscle man

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

It wasn't bad but I am not a fan of how it made every other version of Brainiac be a decoy body and the real Brainiac is a 7 foot tall muscle man

don't talk about daddy that way

• Options

don't talk about daddy that way
    Ain't my Daddy

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    if they decided to go in an Injustice direction with Harley trying to reform and Batman supporting her efforts

i would be pretty down with that

I mean, Batwoman and Batman have already done it with Clayface.

DC has learned some lessons, but "stop having the Justice League be unconscious on the ground in their covers" is not one of them

They're just all taking a nap in the Watchtower and Batman is just having fun with the holo-projecters to take some fun pictures.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I like the 80's robot looking Braniac.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Who knew a quality product would mean more success.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Certainly not their movies division!

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Someone monkey pawed "I wish DC made good comics."

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular

New52 was succesful when it came out (pre-New52 DC was wretched in the last years though, so that would help things), but I'm happy to see Rebirth doing even better. They just need to not make the same mistakes they did with the New52: let the creators find their way on titles instead of switching everything around every X months.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Remember when Captain Boomerang's kid was important for a while?

That was weird.

I liked his design though.
    And totally was Supergirl's best friend because edgy or something?
    Something I've been thinking about

Everyone pretty much agrees that Superman and Batman's "arch-nemeses" are Lex Luthor and The Joker

But who are the runners-up, there?

The only one I can think of for Superman that is nearly as prominent or as strong of a character is probably Brainiac
    Darkseid, Mongol, to a certain extent Metallo for Superman.

Batman would be Ra's, Riddler, or Two-Face.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Batman's arch-foes in my head are always influenced by the Tim Burton movies and Adam West. So it's always Joker, Penguin, Catwoman, Riddler in my head, even though Catwoman hasn't been a villain in years.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I'm also way more into the event knowing that the real conflict is a supervillain that forces the teams to work together and that Tim Seeley will be co-writing the Suicide Squad tie-in issues.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    batman's rogues gallery is arguably so good that you could have a different top ranking every month (though the general public would presumably always put Joker first)

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Ben Percy talked about Teen Titans, revealing that there is a 6th member of the team that hasn't been revealed yet (10 bucks says it is Aqualad) and that each arc of the series will focus on one of the members of the team while remaining an ensemble title. He also commented on the book being able to genre hop a bit due to how different the cast members are, giving examples of Damien led detective stories, sci-fi Starfire ones, comedic Beast Boy ones, etc.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Is All-Star Batman out of continuity with the other books? Not that they seem to be in continuity with each other.

And when is his new pupil going to get a codename?I dont m mind the Bat Family vibe going on in Detective Comics, but I miss the detective part. Those were my favorite Batman stories and so far, while good, these different titles seem to be missing aspects of Batman's chatacter. In fact, if it wasn't for the supporting characters, Batman himself would be pretty one note.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    batman's rogues gallery is arguably so good that you could have a different top ranking every month (though the general public would presumably always put Joker first)

I always put Ra's and Talia al Ghul first and second. They've always been better Batman villains than the Joker to me. They're family, they make things personal, they have actual motives that aren't just 'Batman is my nemesis', and they force Bats out of his comfort zone.

Edward Nygma is totally above the Joker at any and every time too.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    reading lots of old comics and man does any post-crisis DC character get shafted as much as lana lang? pre-new 52 her only role was to pop up in stories and be mind controlled. like eight times in twenty years!!

• Options
    Furu wrote: »
    reading lots of old comics and man does any post-crisis DC character get shafted as much as lana lang?

Hawkman?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.