As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Eldad Hagar Appreciation [chat]

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    The waitress at the barbecue place was wonderful and answered all my questions about what to eat and such, so I left her three dollars on a thirteen dollar bill

Have I mastered your tipping system yet

Yes, that was fine/what most not-cheap people would have left.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    At this point I am chugging hot coffee just to stay warm in this fucking refrigerator of a panera bread but it is making me demonstrably jittery and my thoughts are racing I haven't done caffeine like this since college fk

College taught me that after a certain point, sleep deprivation has a taste.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Women are definitely freer to wear whatever they want in the year of our lord 2016. But that freedom comes with the expectations that they'll wear highly gender-specific clothing and "be girly" from time to time. This is particularly strong at weddings and other formal events, or when out dancing or dating. So they can get away with wearing whatever some of the time, but then other times they get stuck with some hugely impractical stuff. There's a stigma is they don't do this.

Men have a way smaller set of acceptable clothing options, but all of the options are much more comfortable and utilitarian. Stepping outside what is acceptable comes with a really heavy, brutal rebuke.

I dunno which is worse because I am strongly gender conforming and I like the clothes of my assigned gender. So this is not my fight. If someone wants to claw away at societal norms tho, I'll halfheartedly hold up a sign in support or something.

I'm gender conforming too, and I burned my utilikilt after getting very little use out of it long long ago because of the amount of awful attention it draws. And no, not awful attention because they are ugly like cargo shorts. Nice try. No. It takes quite a bit more courage than I will ever possess to rock it, but I do think it looks good on some guys/some guys can pull it off.

I was just being bitchy because people were shitting on them sometime after I went to bed last night but before I woke up this morning. And the shittiness is always framed as "Oh they just look bad" but immediately beneath the surface of that is exactly what you described above. And obviously so.

I'm not fooled, sorry.

Ah, ok, I missed the context for why you were coming out swinging/ trying to make some sort of pissing contest between men+ women's clothing standard suckiness.

I really wish people didn't shit on utilikilts because in the US it *is* a gender-nonconforming thing even if bla bla bla scottish men kilts and marketing at nerd men/rugged/whatever. And dudes who wear them are being pretty brave whether they fully understand that or not.

Anyway sorry people give you shit for this. I have also had to put up with (different, in different contexts) shit for always buzzing my hair, wearing menswear to weddings, etc, and I wish people were more supportive of men who are also pushing the boundaries.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Next door neighbour just knocked on my door to ask if I had seen anything, as they came home last night to catch burglars in the act of burgling their house. I heard some angry shouting at the time, but I thought it was a street argument.

And now I'm paranoid and want to double check the locks on my doors.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    milski wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    The waitress at the barbecue place was wonderful and answered all my questions about what to eat and such, so I left her three dollars on a thirteen dollar bill

Have I mastered your tipping system yet

We updated standard tips to 30% last year actually. She probably thinks she messed up your drink order.

/s

Wait, you only tip 30%?

I hope you don't go anywhere more than once or your food will be about a 1/5th restaurant staff mucous by weight.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    I wonder why no one calls women for those flats they wear being uglier than crying adults. Are they comfortable? It doesn't matter, because they are hideous.

i hate the ones where like. . .partial toe is exposed. like the base of the toe but then it closes. it's just so unsightly.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I don't tip because the staff have to get minimum wage if they get zero tips and the free market... and stuff

• Options
    credeiki wrote: »
    Women are definitely freer to wear whatever they want in the year of our lord 2016. But that freedom comes with the expectations that they'll wear highly gender-specific clothing and "be girly" from time to time. This is particularly strong at weddings and other formal events, or when out dancing or dating. So they can get away with wearing whatever some of the time, but then other times they get stuck with some hugely impractical stuff. There's a stigma is they don't do this.

Men have a way smaller set of acceptable clothing options, but all of the options are much more comfortable and utilitarian. Stepping outside what is acceptable comes with a really heavy, brutal rebuke.

I dunno which is worse because I am strongly gender conforming and I like the clothes of my assigned gender. So this is not my fight. If someone wants to claw away at societal norms tho, I'll halfheartedly hold up a sign in support or something.

I'm gender conforming too, and I burned my utilikilt after getting very little use out of it long long ago because of the amount of awful attention it draws. And no, not awful attention because they are ugly like cargo shorts. Nice try. No. It takes quite a bit more courage than I will ever possess to rock it, but I do think it looks good on some guys/some guys can pull it off.

I was just being bitchy because people were shitting on them sometime after I went to bed last night but before I woke up this morning. And the shittiness is always framed as "Oh they just look bad" but immediately beneath the surface of that is exactly what you described above. And obviously so.

I'm not fooled, sorry.

Ah, ok, I missed the context for why you were coming out swinging/ trying to make some sort of pissing contest between men+ women's clothing standard suckiness.

I really wish people didn't shit on utilikilts because in the US it *is* a gender-nonconforming thing even if bla bla bla scottish men kilts and marketing at nerd men/rugged/whatever. And dudes who wear them are being pretty brave whether they fully understand that or not.

Anyway sorry people give you shit for this. I have also had to put up with (different, in different contexts) shit for always buzzing my hair, wearing menswear to weddings, etc, and I wish people were more supportive of men who are also pushing the boundaries.

FWIW I thought you were hella cute in that picture you posted the other day.

I just didn't say anything because you were apparently trying to look hugely misanthropic like "I will cut everyone" but I thought you looked nice.

So I just kept my mouth shut.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Do any of you play Slime Rancher or Subnautica? I'm trying to decide between the two.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Do any of you play Slime Rancher or Subnautica? I'm trying to decide between the two.

Slime Rancher is adorable but didn't feel very meaty when I played it. It does appear to work basically doubled its content since then. I'd recommend it if its your thing.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I wonder why no one calls women for those flats they wear being uglier than crying adults. Are they comfortable? It doesn't matter, because they are hideous.

i hate the ones where like. . .partial toe is exposed. like the base of the toe but then it closes. it's just so unsightly.

Oh yeah, that's gross.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    The real Indie darling I'd recommend is crosscode

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

Subnautica is very pretty but I felt it didn't have much to do.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I leave these as a tip

twenty-dollar-tip.jpg

Sure, you guys leave a few dollars but I'm saving souls.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Why is no one commenting on my finally topical reason to tie young thug into chat conversation

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options

Looks like it has a demo.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Why is no one commenting on my finally topical reason to tie young thug into chat conversation

The Boy Who Cried Thug

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    The fact that fake money with a sermon printed on it to preach to servers when you stiff them is a real thing makes me want to shake some motherfuckers by the shoulders while screaming into their faces until they either stroke out or jesus leaves them.

• Options

Looks like it has a demo.

It isn't really like the other games granted. More of an action rpg/zelda dungeon feel.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Geth, recycle the thread on page 100

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Elki. Thread will be recycled after 100 pages.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I leave these as a tip

twenty-dollar-tip.jpg

I leave a pamphlet telling them to read atlas shrugged and then I steal 20 cents from the restaurant to cover my costs for the pamphlet

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Julius wrote: »
    Julius wrote: »
    Smash the patriarchy! Abolish gender norms!

*shits all over utilikilts and people who wear them because it's not smashing or abolishing in a way that I personally like and even worse it's not all about me*

do utilikilts even smash anything or abolish gender norms though?

they are marketed as being for manly men who value comfort and utility, not as pretty skirts for any gender.

Are pantsuits marketed as rugged and manly? (this was rhetorical, because nope, they sure aren't nor is any clothing aimed at women)

Why are you applying an obvious double standard to your smashing?

Uh I don't think pantsuits smash many gender norms either. but pants are seen as traditionally male, whereas kilts aren't seen as traditionally female.

but obvious double standards are characteristic of patriarchy. men are much freer in their choices than women, and their choices are less likely to be seen as reflective of politics or challenges to norms.

I don't hate on utilikilts, but I think it's silly to see them as feminist statements somehow.

I don't want to get into a huge argument, but obvious double standards are a big thing in feminism in general. No, I know you don't agree and that's fine. That's where I'm at though, I've seen them come into play too often to pretend otherwise.

However, kilts for men are at least somewhat gender-nonconforming in the U.S. outside of a Scottish heritage event. And gender nonconformity isn't owned by feminism.

I don't see how it can be seen as gender-nonconforming, aside from due to ignorance. Whenever the topic comes up, the criticism doesn't seem to be gender based. Nor do advocates seem to come from a place of gender nonconformity. the issue rather seems to be about general nonconformity.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    oh hey looks like we'll go to an art museum instead of being total shut-ins for once. See you later, [chat]!

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »

Flats are SO comfortable (once broken in)

Downside: Smell my toes they have been basting in the enclosed toe box of my ballet flats for hours. They are so fragrant. Take a whiff I beg of you.

Comfort over aesthetic confirmed. Shame.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I leave these as a tip

twenty-dollar-tip.jpg

if whoever they gave this to tracked them down and murdered them in their sleep no court would convict

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    I leave these as a tip

twenty-dollar-tip.jpg

and money on tips

• Options
    Casual wrote: »
    I leave these as a tip

twenty-dollar-tip.jpg

if whoever they gave this to tracked them down and murdered them in their sleep no court would convict

If it turns out it's Senator Ted Cruz on the floor would you get double nonconvicted or would it be a multiplying two negatives thing?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Casual wrote: »
    I leave these as a tip

twenty-dollar-tip.jpg

If it turns out it's Senator Ted Cruz on the floor would you get double nonconvicted or would it be a multiplying two negatives thing?

He's a sitting U.S. senator so you'd be in trouble. That's why the idea was "if this happened in the senate" because everyone there is senate/staff and the senate has absolute control over video/photography in the senate hall.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    YICZ5gT.jpg

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    YICZ5gT.jpg

oF6Ir6C.jpg

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    wow

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    replying to one image file containing nothing but text with another

this is instagram all over again @Evil Multifarious

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Tipping is awful

Sort out your wage system, America

• Options
    We don't actually tip. It's all a conspiracy to bilk foreigners out of their cash.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Tipping is awful

It is more likely we do something awful like somehow introduce it to other countries in a way that causes it to spread to nontourist areas.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Tav wrote: »
    Tipping is awful

Rich, sustenance value thereof

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    There should be a law that whoever founds a Kingdom or Dynasty or whatever, no future leader can have that name. If they have it, they have to abandon it.

Romulus -> Romulus Augustus
    Umberto of Savoy -> Umberto II of Italy

Wake up sheeple!

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Olmr0BYh.jpg
    Portrait of a @wandering as a Young Man

This discussion has been closed.