As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Eldad Hagar Appreciation [chat]

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    My cuff links rarely match my tie

I'm a rebel like that. A rebel in a three piece.

nah the cufflinks don't need to match the tie, I was simply saying that if you are wearing clothes on that level, your leather should deffo match.

cufflinks and ties are, like, the only two places men can have fun with their outfits any more.

I guess socks too

Whimsy socks are big
    pocket squares!

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    credeiki wrote: »
    What's with crop tops though? I don't understand the silhouette you're supposed to have with them. Slightly bare midriff+slightly high-wasted short shorts? The proportions look weird to me.

It looks good on a lot of ladies and I'm curious because the high waisted short shorts let you hide any pooch while accentuating your boobs and phat thighs

However I am sartorially unadventurous and very self conscious of my Valkyrie-esque Thunder thighs to personally invest in testing the theory

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I've worn cufflinks like once in my life

I'm a unclassly swine

I have maybe a dozen different sets of cufflinks and I will wear them 1-2 times a week. generally if I am meeting with the C Suite or a big potential client/vendor

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    When you oppose boxy 80s women's shoulder pads, you oppose God, America, the first amendment, and Murphy Brown

In both women and cars, design principles evolved between the 80s and 90s to favor curves over boxy frames and sharp edges

you get fitted for an 80s blazer, I'll track down a 1985 BMW 5 Series

we're going to war with squishy design

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Let's not forget that men also wore crop tops in the 90's.

It was not a good look.

Striped sweaters as far as the eye can see

• Options
    My cuff links rarely match my tie

I'm a rebel like that. A rebel in a three piece.

nah the cufflinks don't need to match the tie, I was simply saying that if you are wearing clothes on that level, your leather should deffo match.

cufflinks and ties are, like, the only two places men can have fun with their outfits any more.

I guess socks too

Whimsy socks are big

yeah I forgot about using socks to add flair - I personally don't go that route - My sock drawer is filled with black, grey, brown, and blue solid socks for the most part, with like two pairs of Argyle black and blue just in case.

yeah I do goofy print socks and stuff with jeans, I would be a little hesitant to go BASE jumping off the rainbow bridge

but the internet insists it's allowed now

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Dresses on men are still considered generally shocking and socially unacceptable because femininity in general is still opposing manliness and men who express femininity are deviant

Women who wear masculine fashions get away with it partially because men's fashions are easily tailored to accentuate feminine / sexy qualities--baby doll tees, low cut jeans, etc. Conversely just because women can wear suits doesn't mean there aren't ways that women are discouraged from showing excessive masculinity--ex suits that erase the curve of the female body or those exaggerate boxy shoulder pads from the 80s, coincidentally coded masculine at the exact time of the the anti-feminist backlash and rise of the "career driven" woman breaking into male spheres

I don't think the here's any question that women face far more daily and routine scrutiny for the care we put into our appearance and frankly the politics of what a certain decision to wear one thing one way or go without something (like makeup! Or a bra!) could mean. There's also a lot more shaming/anxiety/self consciousness taught to women at a very young age about what innovation of fashion a woman can or can't pull off, including men's clothing, with the primary metric to evaluate the success of that fashion being that she still appear attractive to men despite straying from traditional feminine clothing.

Whereas the question of how attractive a man is to women isn't top of mind when we evaluate a mans clothing choices (plus we haven't exactly created an easy to check list for men the way we have for women that can be drilled down to the most insignificant of body parts, like our nails); primarily it's, does this assemblage of fabric express confidence/business prowess/tech genius/dedication to the dark God Aztoth first, THEN is it also hot for the ladies??

Tldr stream of consciousness mobile posting: eat Arby's

young-thug-jeffery

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Speaking of Patrick Bateman, wasn't one of the things in American Psycho that the over described outfits actually looked ridiculous

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    tumblr_ocbbttrqDY1u9uwfco1_540.jpg

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    What's with crop tops though? I don't understand the silhouette you're supposed to have with them. Slightly bare midriff+slightly high-wasted short shorts? The proportions look weird to me.

It looks good on a lot of ladies and I'm curious because the high waisted short shorts let you hide any pooch while accentuating your boobs and phat thighs

However I am sartorially unadventurous and very self conscious of my Valkyrie-esque Thunder thighs to personally invest in testing the theory

I've seen ones that are super cropped, and that basically makes sense to me, but when the whole ensemble shows only like 0.5 inch of midriff in between the longish top and high-waisted shorts, it just looks like someone is wearing a shirt that's slightly too small. I don't know, it's a weird look. It definitely appeals conceptually, but summer's almost over and I don't quite understand when I'd wear it. Just wearing men's cargo shorts and tshirt this weekend in any case, heh.

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Julius wrote: »
    Smash the patriarchy! Abolish gender norms!

*shits all over utilikilts and people who wear them because it's not smashing or abolishing in a way that I personally like and even worse it's not all about me*

do utilikilts even smash anything or abolish gender norms though?

they are marketed as being for manly men who value comfort and utility, not as pretty skirts for any gender.

Are pantsuits marketed as rugged and manly? (this was rhetorical, because nope, they sure aren't nor is any clothing aimed at women)

Why are you applying an obvious double standard to your smashing?

Uh I don't think pantsuits smash many gender norms either. but pants are seen as traditionally male, whereas kilts aren't seen as traditionally female.

but obvious double standards are characteristic of patriarchy. men are much freer in their choices than women, and their choices are less likely to be seen as reflective of politics or challenges to norms.

I don't hate on utilikilts, but I think it's silly to see them as feminist statements somehow.

I don't want to get into a huge argument, but obvious double standards are a big thing in feminism in general. No, I know you don't agree and that's fine. That's where I'm at though, I've seen them come into play too often to pretend otherwise.

However, kilts for men are at least somewhat gender-nonconforming in the U.S. outside of a Scottish heritage event. And gender nonconformity isn't owned by feminism.

• Options
    milski wrote: »
    Speaking of Patrick Bateman, wasn't one of the things in American Psycho that the over described outfits actually looked ridiculous

also all the restaurants served food that sounded horrid

• Options
    but i mean, you want to make it big in the 80s or not

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Happy Birthday me! Ate way too much watermelon with my daughter this morning and going out for dinner later.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

also all the restaurants served food that sounded horrid

book does that too

one of his other books Glamorama is like 60% celebrity name dropping

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    In WoW I resuscitated four injured baby dragons, "gently lifting" the last who was too injured to fly and brought him to the nearby dying ancient dragon

I agreed to help and the dying ancient dragon said, "You are a kind, small thing (username)."

that's a nice thing to say to someone

I did that quest too, but I'm an Outlaw rogue so when I picked up that precious, hurt baby dragon and the game forced a slow walking speed as you gingerly cradle this delicate miracle of nature, I instead shot out my grappling hook and recklessly catapulted us forward. He was fine though.

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    tumblr_npp6egvWVY1qzrblzo1_540.jpg

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Today in Swedish news: damn millennials are ruining the Swedish language by Swedifying "to swipe" into "svajpa".

Other loan words like tape -> tejp and wire -> vajer are of course fine because we've had those for 50+ years and are thus perfectly natural.
    Det är det enda ni gör på dagarna
    Ni sitter där i Ventrilo och vi alla svajpa

• Options
    but i mean, you want to make it big in the 80s or not

I think I'm pretty alright with my current situation w.r.t making it and decades

I ate an engineer
  • Options

I've seen ones that are super cropped, and that basically makes sense to me, but when the whole ensemble shows only like 0.5 inch of midriff in between the longish top and high-waisted shorts, it just looks like someone is wearing a shirt that's slightly too small. I don't know, it's a weird look. It definitely appeals conceptually, but summer's almost over and I don't quite understand when I'd wear it. Just wearing men's cargo shorts and tshirt this weekend in any case, heh.

Well as with many other current fashion styles (esp cutouts) a tiny bit of unexpected skin is alluring as fk

• Options

Well as with many other current fashion styles (esp cutouts) a tiny bit of unexpected skin is alluring as fk

Hakkes thanks for having the brosplanations ready.

:bro:

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

Oh! Yeah ok explaining it that way makes sense, although does it still count as unexpected when you're already baring arms/shoulders/thighs?

Damnnnn now I want to go to Forever 21 and pick up a cheap crop top, but that's kinda dumb.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Leitner wrote: »
    Smash the patriarchy! Abolish gender norms!

*shits all over utilikilts and people who wear them because it's not smashing or abolishing in a way that I personally like and even worse it's not all about me*

do utilikilts even smash anything or abolish gender norms though?

they are marketed as being for manly men who value comfort and utility, not as pretty skirts for any gender.

Are pantsuits marketed as rugged and manly? (this was rhetorical, because nope, they sure aren't nor is any clothing aimed at women)

Why are you applying an obvious double standard to your smashing?

Uh I don't think pantsuits smash many gender norms either. but pants are seen as traditionally male, whereas kilts aren't seen as traditionally female.

but obvious double standards are characteristic of patriarchy. men are much freer in their choices than women, and their choices are less likely to be seen as reflective of politics or challenges to norms.

I don't hate on utilikilts, but I think it's silly to see them as feminist statements somehow.

You having a laugh mate?

There are basically no clothes women can't wear and be generally accepted in, whereas there's a vast swathe of clothes that if a man wears he's running a high chance of getting called a faggot or gay bashed.

Citation needed!!!

Living in the real world?

Can you name any clothing a woman would wear and get the same reaction as a man wearing a sundress? Hell, I'll make that even easier, anything which would cause real note among your average twenty year old in a major city.

Men can't wear dresses, right. But they get away with basically everything else.

Women are encouraged from a very young age to dress in a revealing way by basically every facet of media, but also to dress modestly or else be a slut. This is enforced in schools by sending girls home for dressing in revealing clothes, often because it's a "distraction" which puts forward the delightful message that girls' learning is less important than providing a distraction free environment for boys.

Let's not forget that rape victims are still blamed for dressing sexily, same with women that are shouted at on the street. But dressing masculinely is also bad because boys won't notice you.

This doesn't even touch the policing women do on each other's clothes, or the entire issue of doing up ones hair and or makeup.

I'll take not being able to wear a sundress in public to avoid all that shit any day

Well no, it's not basically just dresses.

The reality is there is a comparatively very small range of mainstream acceptable clothing pieces and cuts for men.

Which is what we were talking about. Unless I totally misread @Regina Fong

Sure there are also those pressures placed on women nobody was denying their was, but that's far more complicated and nuanced than limiting them to a small collection of acceptable fashion, and that's a different conversation.

That's exactly what I was saying and I stand behind what I said about diversity of fashion acceptable to men vs. women. I don't actually understand how someone from the same planet as me can argue this, but there it is.

Also laughing at the notion that men aren't scrutinized and policed for how they present themselves by other men and women. It is not the exact same standard (hair and make-up) for men as it is for women but how can you have missed that there is an acceptable range and that stepping outside of it gets you negative attention and criticism unless you are literally a rock star is beyond me.

Blinders. It must be the blinders.

• Options

Hakkes thanks for having the brosplanations ready.

:bro:

Is it rly a brosplanation or just a common thread in historical ideals of sexual attraction generally

The exact battle lines change but even to this day my mother chides me for even the shadow of a hint of a cleavage BC it's far too sexy

But when showing most skin is mostly accepted in society generally it's not a question of HOW MUCH but WHERE that's the sexy mystery

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Fashion [chat] is so hot right now

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options

Oh! Yeah ok explaining it that way makes sense, although does it still count as unexpected when you're already baring arms/shoulders/thighs?

Damnnnn now I want to go to Forever 21 and pick up a cheap crop top, but that's kinda dumb.

Tummies weren't really an avenue of sexual interest recently and more of a source of body shame (I know my jelly belly is always the first to jiggle) so in a way it's about baring something that's usually hidden (i.e. In a dress or a shirt etc)

As usual this can be a radical political act too depending on how jelly is dat belly

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Women are definitely freer to wear whatever they want in the year of our lord 2016. But that freedom comes with the expectations that they'll wear highly gender-specific clothing and "be girly" from time to time. This is particularly strong at weddings and other formal events, or when out dancing or dating. So they can get away with wearing whatever some of the time, but then other times they get stuck with some hugely impractical stuff. There's a stigma is they don't do this.

Men have a way smaller set of acceptable clothing options, but all of the options are much more comfortable and utilitarian. Stepping outside what is acceptable comes with a really heavy, brutal rebuke.

I dunno which is worse because I am strongly gender conforming and I like the clothes of my assigned gender. So this is not my fight. If someone wants to claw away at societal norms tho, I'll halfheartedly hold up a sign in support or something.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I decided to skip Taco Bell and headed off-con to a Georgia barbecue place. I had beef brisket, collard greens, and sweet tea

Guys

Barbecue is delicious

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Let's not forget that men also wore crop tops in the 90's.

It was not a good look.

there is a phenomenon in China (and not the rest of East Asia presumably because Japan and Korea have standards) known as the Beijing Bikini

it sounds precisely as ghoulish as one would expect on a middle-aged potbellied man

mein gott the GIS of beijing bikini

shameless

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    number of google hits with a cursory search is hardly compelling data, especially for a rule that was around for decades before the internet
    Sure it is. On American domain sites, the rule is all over the place. But it's curiously absent from British, French or Italian sites. If what you claim - that it's a well known Western rule beyond just the US, common and predating the internet - it would show up just as much outside the US. But it doesn't; not even close, not even by a factor of ten. In fact I found more UK and Italian sites contesting it than agreeing.

I can't prove a negative, but that's pretty much good enough, along with personal experience that none of the tailors I've talked with about suits have ever mentioned this 'very common and well known' rule, to reasonably assume that this isn't the great pan-Western tradition you think it is. In the UK in particular, matching to that degree was only really done as a fad in the 50s. Maybe it'll come around against as the internet assimilates cultures, but historically it just isn't the case here.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Body fat is unsightly but once the lights are off, as long as you aren't 350+ lubs it's all good. Like, the feeling of chubby fuckin is alright.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I wonder why no one calls women for those flats they wear being uglier than crying adults. Are they comfortable? It doesn't matter, because they are hideous.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Women are definitely freer to wear whatever they want in the year of our lord 2016. But that freedom comes with the expectations that they'll wear highly gender-specific clothing and "be girly" from time to time. This is particularly strong at weddings and other formal events, or when out dancing or dating. So they can get away with wearing whatever some of the time, but then other times they get stuck with some hugely impractical stuff. There's a stigma is they don't do this.

Men have a way smaller set of acceptable clothing options, but all of the options are much more comfortable and utilitarian. Stepping outside what is acceptable comes with a really heavy, brutal rebuke.

I dunno which is worse because I am strongly gender conforming and I like the clothes of my assigned gender. So this is not my fight. If someone wants to claw away at societal norms tho, I'll halfheartedly hold up a sign in support or something.

I'm gender conforming too, and I burned my utilikilt after getting very little use out of it long long ago because of the amount of awful attention it draws. And no, not awful attention because they are ugly like cargo shorts. Nice try. No. It takes quite a bit more courage than I will ever possess to rock it, but I do think it looks good on some guys/some guys can pull it off.

I was just being bitchy because people were shitting on them sometime after I went to bed last night but before I woke up this morning. And the shittiness is always framed as "Oh they just look bad" but immediately beneath the surface of that is exactly what you described above. And obviously so.

I'm not fooled, sorry.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    have some shame dk

have some shame so i can put you in a little box in a little mcmansion out in Lexington where you BELONG

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    At this point I am chugging hot coffee just to stay warm in this fucking refrigerator of a panera bread but it is making me demonstrably jittery and my thoughts are racing I haven't done caffeine like this since college fk

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    The waitress at the barbecue place was wonderful and answered all my questions about what to eat and such, so I left her three dollars on a thirteen dollar bill

Have I mastered your tipping system yet

• Options
    Elki wrote: »
    I wonder why no one calls women for those flats they wear being uglier than crying adults. Are they comfortable? It doesn't matter, because they are hideous.

Flats are SO comfortable (once broken in)

Downside: Smell my toes they have been basting in the enclosed toe box of my ballet flats for hours. They are so fragrant. Take a whiff I beg of you.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    The waitress at the barbecue place was wonderful and answered all my questions about what to eat and such, so I left her three dollars on a thirteen dollar bill

I usually just get water but calculate the tip as though I bought two or three drinks as well. :+1:

• Options
    edited September 2016
    simonwolf wrote: »

We updated standard tips to 30% last year actually. She probably thinks she messed up your drink order.

/s

milski on
    I ate an engineer
This discussion has been closed.