As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX West 2016 - Prime is dead, long live PAX

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    You guys can have your classic Avengers moments.

@Aphostile & I will be drunkenly roaming the streets at 2 a.m.

You could say we're Heroes For Hire.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    What am I saying...

We're the Masters of Evil.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Why is there always arm wrestling?

Why not

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    The standout moment of this year for me was walking up to the Roanoke on Thursday night at the exact same time as @Grey Ghost

It was a literal AVENGERS ASSEMBLE moment and neither one of us planned it!

The standout moment for me was that arm wrestling snap. :tell_me_more:

You always did have a weakness for the gun show...

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Why is there always arm wrestling?

Why not

I don't know. I'm just a drunk willing participant when it inevitably happens.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Arm wrestling is nice and all.

But it's got nothing on a communal butt squeeze.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Arm wrestling is nice and all.

But it's got nothing on a communal butt squeeze.

Butt contest.

What are we, animals?

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Well, I may have slept for 13 hours after getting off my red eye yesterday.

I think that's an indicator of a successful PAX.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Boy oh boy downtown is vastly different.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I don't think I've got the PAX Pox, but I do think the radical jump from Seattle back to Salt Lake weather has fucked my sinuses right up. It feels like they're full of sand and grit. I've had three nosebleeds since getting home. I used to get them all the time, before I'd lived here a year or so. So that's great, if this trip reset how my nasal parts react to extreme dryness.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    It could be all that cocaine we did in the hotel room every night.

Or what you said, I'm no doctor.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    If my hotel demeanor was Me On Coke, my baseline must be legally dead.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    If my hotel demeanor was Me On Coke, my baseline must be legally dead.

weeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllll...

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Do we have a weekend at bernie's situation here cause if so I know a voodoo witch we can call

• Options
    Also I apparently took one for the team because it seems the hotel room couch was full of spiders. I have at least four spider bites.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Damn, dude. That couch did look a little aged...

• Options
    COUCH MADE OF SPIDERS.

• Options
    Spider-Couch

• Options
    ALL-FANG THE SPIDERCOUCH

THE ARACHNISOFA, THE FURNITURE OF HOTELS

THE SEAT THAT STUNG THE FIRST WOUND FROM THE ASS OF UNTOLD GUESTS

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    ALL-FANG THE SPIDERCOUCH

THE ARACHNISOFA, THE FURNITURE OF HOTELS

THE SEAT THAT STUNG THE FIRST WOUND FROM THE ASS OF UNTOLD GUESTS

why your fantasy novel hasn't hit the NY times bestseller list yet baffles and astounds

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Jerry thinks this was the best ever PAX, what say you.

Honestly for me it might be true, in a super unobtrusive way. It just quietly stacked up the wins.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    Do we have a weekend at bernie's situation here cause if so I know a voodoo witch we can call

every day i leave the house is a weekend at bernie's situation

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Jerry thinks this was the best ever PAX, what say you.

Honestly for me it might be true, in a super unobtrusive way. It just quietly stacked up the wins.

The pay check was certainly better than last year's!

• Options
    Whose year's?

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    I dunno, it'd be hard to beat PAX 2012 for me. Buuuut that also doubled as a launch party.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Paxes of yore, when we were young and folk of legend, still hold the dearest place in my heart.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Since I tragically missed out on this year's funtimes in Seattle, PAX South Number 1 has got some real honest moments of wonderment for me.

Boston 2013 does have a missing tooth and a relocated shrubbery.

So hard to choose.

OOH if I go to Australia this year I'll have been to them all! I just realized that!

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    This year was pretty good, but I don't think it's on PAX to supply all the fun. Each year seems to be better than the last because you have a better idea of what it is you want to spend your time doing, or not doing. Also totally depends on who is around and who you run into.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    This year had it's ups and downs, but definitely more ups than downs, and the downs were not as downy as some years, so overall I would say it was a very good PAX.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    From a personal perspective, my issues that caused me to arrive late prevent this from being a personal best PAX - I've never missed Roanoke night before when I've been at West!

From an overall show standpoint, it was pretty good. It felt like the Q&A questions were poorly filtered, but that's really the only thing I can think of to pick on. What would be cool is if Robert returned as a panelist and reprised the Khoo & A, but I doubt there's must interest in that from him or many others.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I feel like this PAX had some pretty high highs for me and some low lows. I've been to every PAX in Seattle since, well, it's technically been in Seattle (so, 2007). I remember that show fondly, though I doubt I could watch more than 5 seconds of Wil Wheaton's keynote today. The only PAX I've been too that stands out as bad was probably 2008, which I still remember as "CrowdedPAX", especially relative to 2007.

This PAX had some stuff on the floor that I really liked. I managed to get into the Horizon: Zero Dawn demo and while I don't think it'd make me buy a PS4, it does look like a pretty cool game. I walked through the Indie Megabooth and saw a game that caused me and probably, like, 10,000 other people to say "hey, this reminds me of SimTower!". (On a related note, I just played Project Highrise for the past 4 hours.) I attended the preliminaries of the Omegathon for the first time ever and enjoyed that thoroughly. The initiatives to make the Expo Hall less crowded have paid off and it's noticeably easier to get around than it used to be. While I'm not crazy about Twitch's super-large booth or anything, the Expo Hall, to me, almost makes West worth it on its own. (As the Post-PAX survey has put it in the past, I enjoy the sheer spectacle.) I attended Acquisitions Inc for the first time ever and enjoyed shouting "GREEN FLAME" with 2500 people at the same time.

And, of course, I hung out with a bunch of y'all.

There were some downsides, though they're mostly my own fault. Neither of my usual crew could make it this year, which left me scrambling for accommodations at the last minute that didn't cost $200/night. Thanks to one of my friends here, I was able to stay with his aunt and uncle in Kirkland. And indeed, on a given morning, counting the time it took to get a car, it'd take me about 30 minutes to get into town. All things considered, that's not bad. (And, as you might guess by the fact they let basically a stranger stay in their house for five nights for free, they are incredibly nice people.) But the downsides are that having a room in town helps a ton as a base of operations, so to speak, and if nothing else just a place to take your shoes off for a few minutes. Also, there were some early morning lines I wanted to get in, and while I realize I could've gotten up earlier, it would've been much easier to get in those lines if I could just walk into them.

So yeah, note to self: next year, figure out the hotel situation before, say, mid-August.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Hey @Tube how was that Dishonored party?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The queue was two and a half hours to get in and have some free drinks so we bailed immediately. I had no idea it would be that popular

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Also, those of you who came to karaoke night, what did you think of the set up and venue? Any suggestions for next year?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    I have mixed feelings about this PAX.

Pros:
    - Excellent roomshare, especially compared to previous very weird or awkward roomshares (especially since I didn't get the Spider Couch.)
    - Acq. Inc. was excellent, and really is the centerpiece of my PAX West experience these days.
    - Many good panels, including a ton of info about the Thornwatch game, that I'm very excited for.
    - Got a little more adventurous with food than in previous years, and was not disappointed by the results.
    - Q&As and Make-a-strip were also great, although I agree a little tighter control on the questions would have been nice. There were a couple repeats.

Cons:
    - The Omegathon finale was kind of weaksauce. Not a very compelling competition, not a lot of interesting banter. If the stage setup for it had been a little less elaborate, I would have assumed it was a backup game and that the actual thing they wanted to do fell apart at the last minute.
    - The D&D situation was a clusterfuck. If WotC is going to keep doing Adventure League games at PAX, they need to dramatically ramp up their operation both in terms of sheer size, and coordination. For three out of four days, all available slots were taken within 20 minutes of the Annex opening up, with easily 80% or more of the lines that were allowed to accumulate being told to turn around and find something else to do. At the very least, they need to get somebody on the fucking door with a clicker to tell everybody when the line is filled to capacity, so that I don't wait an hour and a half for a spot that won't exist.
    - The Exhibition hall needs to reign in demo lengths a bit, I think. There wasn't a single line that I checked out with less than a 2 hour expected wait. I wound up with a few gaps in my experience where I did nothing for an hour or two, because there just weren't any interesting short-duration things to check out.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    I feel like this PAX had some pretty high highs for me and some low lows. I've been to every PAX in Seattle since, well, it's technically been in Seattle (so, 2007). I remember that show fondly, though I doubt I could watch more than 5 seconds of Wil Wheaton's keynote today. The only PAX I've been too that stands out as bad was probably 2008, which I still remember as "CrowdedPAX", especially relative to 2007.

This PAX had some stuff on the floor that I really liked. I managed to get into the Horizon: Zero Dawn demo and while I don't think it'd make me buy a PS4, it does look like a pretty cool game. I walked through the Indie Megabooth and saw a game that caused me and probably, like, 10,000 other people to say "hey, this reminds me of SimTower!". (On a related note, I just played Project Highrise for the past 4 hours.) I attended the preliminaries of the Omegathon for the first time ever and enjoyed that thoroughly. The initiatives to make the Expo Hall less crowded have paid off and it's noticeably easier to get around than it used to be. While I'm not crazy about Twitch's super-large booth or anything, the Expo Hall, to me, almost makes West worth it on its own. (As the Post-PAX survey has put it in the past, I enjoy the sheer spectacle.) I attended Acquisitions Inc for the first time ever and enjoyed shouting "GREEN FLAME" with 2500 people at the same time.

And, of course, I hung out with a bunch of y'all.

There were some downsides, though they're mostly my own fault. Neither of my usual crew could make it this year, which left me scrambling for accommodations at the last minute that didn't cost $200/night. Thanks to one of my friends here, I was able to stay with his aunt and uncle in Kirkland. And indeed, on a given morning, counting the time it took to get a car, it'd take me about 30 minutes to get into town. All things considered, that's not bad. (And, as you might guess by the fact they let basically a stranger stay in their house for five nights for free, they are incredibly nice people.) But the downsides are that having a room in town helps a ton as a base of operations, so to speak, and if nothing else just a place to take your shoes off for a few minutes. Also, there were some early morning lines I wanted to get in, and while I realize I could've gotten up earlier, it would've been much easier to get in those lines if I could just walk into them.

So yeah, note to self: next year, figure out the hotel situation before, say, mid-August.

So safe to say Project Highrise was pretty good? I saw it and immediately went "oh this is just a simtower clone and they're ripping them off" then realized its been like 20 years since Simtower, so its probably safe to say a spiritual sequel is due.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2016
    If you haven't, please toss your feedback on the show itself into here too: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/206922/constructive-feedback-west-2016

zerzhul on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    free drinks
    I had no idea it would be that popular

Wildstar last year was the only party I've been to that had no line.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Hey @thehangedman a friend of mine works at WOTC and was running D&D demos all weekend. Would you like me to send along your grievances?

Tonkka on
  • Options
    Nah, no worries, I have no doubt they're keenly aware what a mess all that was. All the staff on the signup tables looked like they were witnessing the end of the world, every time I went in there to check if there was an unclaimed solo spot available.

I'm just extra disgruntled because I didn't get to show off my tiny magical grizzly bear pet more often.