Options

[Chat] Hotel

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    There should be a Batman villain who constructs elaborate real life versions of tortured hypotheticals and forces him to make agonizing decisions

Oh wait, that's already every Batman villain

You have to admire the brutal efficiency of Batman's personal philosophy

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I added flame throwers to the trolley.

360 degree coverage.

No one person left un-bbqed.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    the trolley problem does reveal some of our underlying calculus regarding life and choice though
    it is interesting and dumb

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Also, no, I'm not being purposefully obtuse OR dumb (and I'd ask you kindly not to call me dumb again.)
    I -get- that I'm supposed to take the problem at face value and accept the scenario as is. Sorry. It's poorly written. It also makes you the ONLY thing in the scenario capable of autonomy.

I -get- the scenario. If you want the answer, it's obviously pull the lever.

You know if you want to accept the half baked attempt at scenario writing

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Is the classic construction of the trolley problem such that you have to hit the switch to change to the track with one person but if you do nothing the trolley hits the five people?

I have read so many versions of it at this point I don't know what the point of the original was.

Exactly.

Maybe someone can explain why this makes a difference, then.

Assume for a moment that we're all...utilitarians, right? Those are the ones who think it's better to kill 1 person than 5? Whatever, pretend we're all those people. What is the argument in favor of doing nothing vs doing something?

I am explaining this badly, perhaps. My personal view is that you are making a choice regardless. The instant the choice is presented to you, you are no longer "doing nothing" by not hitting the switch. Doing nothing is equally a choice as hitting the switch. So at that point it reduces to a "is it better to kill 1 person or 5 people" problem. What is the argument against this stance?

The counterargument is pretty much only about whether or not inaction is fundamentally different from action, yes.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Is the classic construction of the trolley problem such that you have to hit the switch to change to the track with one person but if you do nothing the trolley hits the five people?

I have read so many versions of it at this point I don't know what the point of the original was.

Exactly.

Assume for a moment that we're all...utilitarians, right? Those are the ones who think it's better to kill 1 person than 5? Whatever, pretend we're all those people. What is the argument in favor of doing nothing vs doing something?

I am explaining this badly, perhaps. My personal view is that you are making a choice regardless. The instant the choice is presented to you, you are no longer "doing nothing" by not hitting the switch. Doing nothing is equally a choice as hitting the switch. So at that point it reduces to a "is it better to kill 1 person or 5 people" problem. What is the argument against this stance?

You're correct. The counter-argument is that you can 'opt out' by not doing anything, evading moral responsibility or involvement. "I didn't tie anyone to the tracks, so I'm not guilty. If I throw the lever, then I'll be guilty of killing one person."

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Is there a moral framework that provides moral justification for me preferring people I know and care about over strangers?

Like, does there exist a morality where it's cool that if the one person on the track is my sister and the other five people are strangers, I'd probably kill the five people?

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I wouldn't kill five humans to save my dog though. ):
    I love my dog very much but human life has more value than animal life when you get down to it.

Would you kill five dogs to save your dog

What if they were looking at you the whole time, all the dogs, just happy to be around you and existing, not even knowing the trolley was heading for them

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Is the Trolley thing supposed to be about if one life is equal to five? The part I'm not getting is, assuming you know nothing about the people on the tracks, you should definitely save the higher amount of people. If a plane can crash into a hundred people or two hundred people, isn't the answer obviously to shoot for less casualties?

Is the one person like doogie howser or someone?

naw the real question I think is whether you should intervene with fate or not

fate kills five people vs you kill one person

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Oh my god chat actually got sucked into the trolley problem through memes

Hue hue hue hue another rat tried to nibble the cheese perched just so atop this trap

• Options
    I love my dog very much but human life has more value than animal life when you get down to it.

What if they were looking at you the whole time, all the dogs, just happy to be around you and existing, not even knowing the trolley was heading for them

Are they all good utilitarians?

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

Exactly.

You're correct. The counter-argument is that you can 'opt out' by not doing anything, evading moral responsibility or involvement. "I didn't tie anyone to the tracks, so I'm not guilty. If I throw the lever, then I'll be guilty of killing one person."

Right, my question is, is there any good justification for that counter-argument?

Edit: Or rather, is there an accepted justification.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    desc let's talk about Belly of the Beast

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

I wouldn't kill 5 strangers to save my dogs.

That number is too low

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

But would my dog be aware

Aware of my betrayal

Would he know, EM

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Also, no, I'm not being purposefully obtuse OR dumb (and I'd ask you kindly not to call me dumb again.)
    I -get- that I'm supposed to take the problem at face value and accept the scenario as is. Sorry. It's poorly written. It also makes you the ONLY thing in the scenario capable of autonomy.

You're asking a practical starting point for a philosophical debate to be a D&D campaign. That's not what it's for.

• Options

I don't know who is calling you dumb

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    Is the Trolley thing supposed to be about if one life is equal to five? The part I'm not getting is, assuming you know nothing about the people on the tracks, you should definitely save the higher amount of people. If a plane can crash into a hundred people or two hundred people, isn't the answer obviously to shoot for less casualties?

fate kills five people

I saw that movie!

• Options

Exactly.

Although if you get assigned a debate position and have to do the counter-argument, hard mode is not basing your argument on this and instead somehow trying to argue that it is better to kill the five people in the way than the one. If you can pull that of, you get a huge score multiplier.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    The trolley problem is about dank memes.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    desc wrote: »
    Oh my god chat actually got sucked into the trolley problem through memes

Hue hue hue hue another rat tried to nibble the cheese perched just so atop this trap

IT'S SO TASTY

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options

I 100% agree
    I'm always a little balked by how quickly people are like but I saved five people and killed one only

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    mjjDzZv.jpg
    ktV32Ys.jpg

• Options
    Would you strangle someone else's dog with your bare hands to save your dog

Would you do it without explanation in front of a crowd of people

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Anyway, the Iterated Prisoner's Dilemma is far more interesting than the Trolley Dilemma.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Butts

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    EM you are gonna make me cry from hypothetical thoughts

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Exactly.

Although if you get assigned a debate position and have to do the counter-argument, hard mode is not basing your argument on this and instead somehow trying to argue that it is better to kill the five people in the way than the one. If you can pull that of, you get a huge score multiplier.

human life is ultimately deleterious to the universe and all other lifeforms

the only ethical path is to kill as many humans as possible before your suicide

• Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    TROLLEY PROBLEMS ON MOTORCYCLES

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    What if there is an airplane on a treadmill and if you pull the lever it crashes into one person instead of six people

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    desc let's talk about Belly of the Beast

My character is an Aztec Thief

He was sentenced to death for his crimes before the worm ate earth

Considering himself half a ghost already, he takes foolhardy risks for useless but ostentatious trinkets buried in the rubble and stomach acid of the Digestive Tract but his newfound fraternity of adventurers begins to remind him that even in adversity, some things are more valuable than Jade

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    There should be a Batman villain who constructs elaborate real life versions of tortured hypotheticals and forces him to make agonizing decisions

Oh wait, that's already every Batman villain

You have to admire the brutal efficiency of Batman's personal philosophy

Next Batman movie is just him shooting every villain he encounters in the face and Gotham PD is like "Well... we're ok with this."

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

But refusing to do something counts as doing something. Fate put you by the lever. If you ignore it, it's not fate's fault, it is yours.

If someone is on fire next to you and you don't help them the bucket of water you have, you helped harm that person with your inaction.

edit: I still want to know if saving someone via time travel is morally problematic because you don't know how that will affect the timeline.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    That thing with trying to get a group of different animals across a river with one boat without them eating each other like why the hell am I even doing that.

• Options
    Also ethics is a fucking joke. The Stanford Prison experiment proved that.

In fact, the aliens should have vaporized us right then

• Options

I 100% agree
    I'm always a little balked by how quickly people are like but I saved five people and killed one only

killing a man and letting a man die both get you locked up in jail. "Intervene with fate" is some bullshit. It's you equally much whatever the outcome. Letting something happen isn't opting out. It is letting it happen.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    EM you are gonna make me cry from hypothetical thoughts

Okay less fraught:

Would you fart loudly on Chris Hemsworth while on a date with him, for $1000?

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Would you strangle someone else's dog with your bare hands to save your dog

Would you do it without explanation in front of a crowd of people

i would strangle you first for putting forth this hypothetical you son of a bitch

Orphane on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Are we talking about hypothetical dilemmas? Relevant:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N_RZJUAQY4

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Also ethics is a fucking joke. The Stanford Prison experiment proved that.

In fact, the aliens should have vaporized us right then

Well a fiction at least

This discussion has been closed.