As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Take this [job] and perform it to the best of your ability.

1939495969799»

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Peccavi wrote: »
    What drives someone to replace all their punctuation in emails with ellipses? Are they actually super passive aggressive, or just crazy?

The other admin does this in her emails, combined with apparently random boldings and capitalizations. Reading her emails causes me physical pain.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    the all ellipses method for punctuating emails doesn't usually strike me as passive-aggressive, but makes it feel like the sender is slipping in and out of lucidity

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    QuirkyLittleTyrantQuirkyLittleTyrant A Mug Featuring Pichu On A Cloud Registered User regular
    I finally got a job! They're going to hire me part time for two months instead of freelance, then switch me to full time.

I'm very happy, but somewhat worried now because I think I forgot how to be a person six weeks ago, and if they poke me too hard they'll find out I'm just 40 rats in a suit.

Thank you sincerely, job thread, for your advice and support.

PSN ID: Khrysocome
    Steam: ZappRowsdower
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    What drives someone to replace all their punctuation in emails with ellipses? Are they actually super passive aggressive, or just crazy?

I had a boss do that

I had to ask him to his face if he was upset about something because ellipses usually means a trailed thought or if someone's being passive aggressive in text form.

He didn't realize.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Man, today has been a slow day at work.

I have two machines currently working on doing the really fine finishing polishing for two different optics.

One machine has an hour and change left on its run, and has to be kept available after that's done for some imminent priority stuff.

The other, which I just started, will finish what it is doing 12 hours from now.

For the the second half of my work day I essentially get to babysit this stuff and hope nothing goes catastrophically wrong!

Because that means cleaning up ferrofluid, and I would much rather try and look busy than be doing that.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I'm going back to 5/8 shifts instead of 4/10 shifts and I'm pretty ok with that.

I was doing Mon wed-Fri and now it will be Mon-Fri. Sad I won't be able to stay up late to watch the Valiant RPG on HyperRPG but those last two hours just dragged so badly.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

The other admin does this in her emails, combined with apparently random boldings and capitalizations. Reading her emails causes me physical pain.

I find as I get older I have been doing the random capitalization thingy.

It's horrifying.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    @Mr Khan do you already live in the DC area? If you aren't sure about a viable place to stay I have a couch or extra room you could use as a base in a pinch. I'm not in DC, I'm north of it by a bit (Odenton if you want to look at it), but I am near a MARC station that can get you into DC.
    Overall though I don't think you need to go into details with the HR person until it becomes an absolute "when are you able to start?" You should be able to give them something like "I'm already planning on moving to the area and have made arrangements to do so."
    I'd make sure to give them the impression that moving to the area is already going to happen, with or without the job. Because otherwise they may be looking at you negatively thinking you may expect relocation assistance (which you could ask for).

Thanks for the offer. I don't think the moving is an issue, just that they want to try to feel out people who don't have an idea of how to make the move, or, like you said, are going to demand relocation assistance. I don't really expect relocation assistance in the non-profit sector i work in.

Lying and saying i was already planning on moving (and setting a date about a month or so out from whenever that conversation was taking place) seems like a good idea, though. That would be a better way to frame it that makes it look more stable for them.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I use ellipses in work emails sometimes.

Usually its something like "that plan violates operational procedures.........

...................."

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    So while I did not get the time off I wanted for the entire weekend with my nieces, I did get Friday and Saturday off.

But this comes at the expense of 5 12's, which is rather boring in the daytime, sitting around do nothing while all these well paid dudes walk around and do manly work.

But on the other hand, this 60 hours will help me bite hard on some of my bills and move me closer to eliminating several medical debts.

That said, I am going to baby myself come this payday as a proper tithe for my misery.

On the bright side, baby bro pays me back tomorrow and middle bro will soon be in the country and no longer asking me for money!

• Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Fishman wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    Zoel wrote: »
    chromdom wrote: »
    chromdom wrote: »
    For the past couple of days, I've been playing small pranks on co-workers: changing their computer wallpapers to hated sports rivals.
    Really, no big deal.
    And after the last one was discovered and retribution was promised, I let them know I'd take payback in the spirit in which it is intended

But should they choose to elevate the conflict.... Well, blood and fire, tears and the gnashing of teeth were mentioned.

Unrelated, one of the co-workers got pooped on by a bat last night.

Came back from lunch to be greeted by a "I am woman, hear me roar" wallpaper.
    I'm a man, but not mad like they were. I hope there's not more coming, and they're not teaming up to ramp up against me.

Why are you not locking your computer when you leave it? Why is no one in your office locking their computers when they leave them. That's just bad procedure.

whenever someone leaves a computer unlocked:

I open up whatever word document is on the screen, I write "PRIVACY IS EVERYONE'S BUSINESS", copy it, and then I just spam that ctrl-v like I'm an olympian.

Since I work with, you know, adults who respect other people's property, time, and research, I don't expect to have to lock my computer every time I get up to get coffee, and if I got back and found something like that on screen I'd track down the 9 year old responsible and weld them to a desk.

I work for a government ministry where leaving your machine unattended so people can access citizen's private information is grounds for disciplinary action, so not only is it an enforced policy that your computer has to be locked if you're not at your desk, not locking is likely to result in another team member jumping on your PC and sending a group email saying 'Just to let everybody know, I'll be buying drinks/shouting lunch for the whole team on Friday!'.

I work in a place where you need a security clearance to get through the door, and to log on to your computer you need to insert a personal ID card. If you remove the card, the computer automatically locks until it is reinserted. You are required to remove the card if you leave your desk.

If you don't, and leave the card inserted, then the IT folks who are walking around looking for precisely that will steal your card, and insert a note in it's place informing you that you now need to do the walk of shame up to the fourth floor to get it back.

I think you and I work in similar places, D. Here the catch is, the same card that unlocks the computer, unlocks the office door. So if one were to have a brain fart and leave one's card in the computer on the way to an urgent trip to the little engineerette's room, one gets to pound on the door and hope that one's coworkers will pry themselves from YouTube long enough to open the door.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

I had a boss do that

I had to ask him to his face if he was upset about something because ellipses usually means a trailed thought or if someone's being passive aggressive in text form.

He didn't realize.

My CEO does this in PMs and such. He does just fine in emails and such, especially with outsiders, so I just have come to expect and accept it.

Sometimes I twinge still when I respond to something and the response is "ok..." :rotate:

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I use ellipses in work emails sometimes.

Usually its something like "that plan violates operational procedures.........

...................."

I wasn't referring to proper use of ellipses...

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Today is one of those days when I desperately don't want to be here but I still have 4 hours to go and oh god

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Damn! Bounced from the running for that job.

To be fair, it was absolutely a long shot (some of the skillset requirements were demonstrably things I hadn't done) and I wasn't really interested in it, so I didn't put much effort behind it, but still.

Ah well.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Librarian Update:

We are still top High School in terms of circulation and maintain our lead of twice over the next High School despite them having 700 more students than us. I am now positive our numbers are legit as the majority of checkouts is manga and realistic fiction and those are for sure read.

Brainstorm time with you fine people of the job thread. Historic Fiction has abysmal checkout numbers despite having lots of really good books in that section. My main theory is that students see the work "Historical" and just run away.

Help me brainstorm a name I can apply to the Historical Fiction to help draw readers in. Current idea is "Adventure Fiction"

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Librarian Update:

We are still top High School in terms of circulation and maintain our lead of twice over the next High School despite them having 700 more students than us. I am now positive our numbers are legit as the majority of checkouts is manga and realistic fiction and those are for sure read.

Brainstorm time with you fine people of the job thread. Historic Fiction has abysmal checkout numbers despite having lots of really good books in that section. My main theory is that students see the work "Historical" and just run away.

Help me brainstorm a name I can apply to the Historical Fiction to help draw readers in. Current idea is "Adventure Fiction"

Bad ass made up stuff of the past?
    My daughter had to read one (5th grade) as part of a rotating book category project and she called it Fiction but Non-Fiction.

Can you do some incentive program at all? Talk with the teachers about assigning extra credit for something? Getting enough people buying in on reading that should get other people interested, right?

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I've been working at this new gig for exactly three weeks today and that includes a bullshit day of 'orientation' where no one talked to me and I just sat at a terminal retaking a food handler's test.

Today, someone tried to stick me on the fry station, the actual line where food is cooked and not just prepped.

I realize that more cross-training gets me more cha-ching per hour, but there's a limit to what the human brain can actually process in any given shift. If I were actually allowed to get some actual practice, they'd see some amazing progress from me. As it stands, I feel like a thumbless monkey fucking a football covered in grease.

25862811.jpg

• Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Librarian Update:

Ran historical through Thesaurus.com and came up with these:

Chrono-Fiction?

Timeline Fiction?

Factual Fiction?

Fiction-That-You-Should-Read-Because-History-Is-Important Fiction?

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Alternate History?
    Parallel Universes?
    Other Earths?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My work just announced a "Contest" where a person or group of persons can come up with a great "innovation" to help the company increase profits for the next quarter+. When they were talking about this like 4 months ago the prize was being able to lead a team to implement you change plus it looks good when your trying to get into another position and the person or persons will receive a bonus at the end of the year based on how it helps the company.

Now its just $1000. Split between all the members of your group. No lead position, no reccommendation letter for promotion, just anywhere from $1000 to $250 depending on how many people are on your team while you could possibly get the company hundreds of thousands in profit.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Timeless Tales might be good for a younger demo
    I honestly like Adventure Fiction though.

Might not line up with your more introspective books, but that's advertising baby!

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I finally got a job! They're going to hire me part time for two months instead of freelance, then switch me to full time.

I'm very happy, but somewhat worried now because I think I forgot how to be a person six weeks ago, and if they poke me too hard they'll find out I'm just 40 rats in a suit.

Thank you sincerely, job thread, for your advice and support.

88 rats

The average human body has the blood content equivalent to 88 average-sized rats.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Phew. So my job contact proactively let me know that there were some problems getting schedules organized for my 3rd interview and that they hoped to have a better idea of what would work once the current business load eased off, hopefully by the end of next week.

Imma just going to hope that if anyone else is in the running that they get bored/annoyed and drop out, because I'm in this for the long haul.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Second interview tomorrow morning!

This discussion has been closed.