Options

[GW2] Path of Fire expansion to be released on Sept 22!

• Options
    KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I play Valenon Oakborn, a Sylvari Elementalist, you may or may not have seen him around. Anyways, I built and geared him ages ago now as a healer/tank, but it's been so long that I'm sure the way to accomplish that goal has changed quite a bit. So I was wondering if anyone knew any good builds for a Staff Elementalist?

Oh right, here's his current build and loadout. You can tell how long ago it was that I set him up because it was back when having multiple Rune sets was big. :D

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Elementalist

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    New trailer for the next Living Story, Sept 20:
    http://youtu.be/qyKleU1C4Rk
    I see a Karka :)

Perrsun on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    New trailer for the next Living Story, Sept 20:
    http://youtu.be/qyKleU1C4Rk
    I see a Karka :)

Hype as fuck. I have so much to do in the next week.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fZZF3YpQF0

Same trailer, better music. :P (Also, fits shockingly well with the transitions despite no editing o_O )

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    This has me hype! Things really feel like they are moving now!

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    If Primordus is the next Elder Dragon, I hope they bring back some of the awesome Destroyer names from GW1.

Destroyer of Bones
    Destroyer of Sinew
    Destroyer of Flesh
    Destroyer of Hordes
    Destroyer of Deeds
    Destroyer of Souls
    Destroyer of Hope
    Destroyer of Thoughts
    Destroyer of Lives

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Revive Orb functionality is changing! It will no longer be useless!
    Hello fellow Tyrians,

The Ring of Fire content update is going to bring an update to Revive Orbs as well and I’m here to give you a sneak peek into the changes that you can expect. We’ve heard your feedback on the current design of Revive Orb and Revive Sickness: health comes back too low, it applies cripple to you, and its cumbersome to use.

The new Revive Orb functionality is intended to address some of these concerns head on while keeping the item well balanced with the gameplay.

• Revive Sickness has been updated to be more in line with other forms of revival. The orb will return you to 50% of your health pool instead of previous 1 health point. You no longer are crippled but are locked in combat state for 60 seconds and cannot use another orb while under Revive Sickness.
    • When defeated, if you have an orb in inventory, you will receive a UI option to ‘Consume a Revive Orb’ alongside the usual “Return to Waypoint” option.
    • We’ve replaced the Ghostly Caretaker with an orb vortex that circles above your body and fills in for the 10 seconds it takes for the revival to complete.

All previous existing Revive Orbs will automatically be updated to reflect these changes. This item remains unavailable in WvW, PvP, and Raids content. Whether you use it in Central Tyria, Heart of Maguuma, or even Ember Bay, we hope you will be pleased with the new Revive Orb.

Thank you and we’ll see you in the game.
    Sarah Witter

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Reviving-the-Revive-Orb/first#post6326383

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Houn the last two days:

- Man, everyone is playing WoW. Maybe I should save some money and fire GW2 back up instead.
    - Holy crap, I got it running on Linux with minimal effort.
    - Hrm, dyes cause weird texture glitches.
    - Oh, hey, installing wine-staging means that there are no more texture glitches, and it runs at 60fps instead of 30!
    - Man, I do NOT remember how to play any of my characters. Better start over with a new character.
    - ...shit, what race and profession?

• Options
    Houn wrote: »
    Houn the last two days:

- Man, everyone is playing WoW. Maybe I should save some money and fire GW2 back up instead.
    - Holy crap, I got it running on Linux with minimal effort.
    - Hrm, dyes cause weird texture glitches.
    - Oh, hey, installing wine-staging means that there are no more texture glitches, and it runs at 60fps instead of 30!
    - Man, I do NOT remember how to play any of my characters. Better start over with a new character.
    - ...shit, what race and profession?

welcome back!

race: charr obv
    profession: engineer obv

okay but seriously, like

Races

1. do you want to be a cool badass giant cat? charr
    2. do you want to be a cool badass, but kinda human shaped? norn
    3. do you want to be beautiful but kind of creepy? sylvari
    4. do you want to be kinda uglycute and maybe pinky and the brain / invader zimm? asura
    5. do you want to be boring, but at least most armor looks ok on you? human

professions

1. do you like being an overpowered nerd who does calculus and also keyboard mozart every time you go into combat? do you also like traditional big boom wizard types and elemental magic? elementalist
    2. do you like being a tricky bastard and also enjoy the idea of exploding into butterflies while trolling people? mesmer
    3. do you still want to do calculus and mozart in combat, but you're not into the "magic" thing and you don't care about being op? alternately, do you like being a techy gageteer mcguyver type? engineer.
    4. do you just want to hit things and don't want to worry about complicated shit? warrior
    5. do you like pets? do you still kinda want to be a healer even though there's not really a healer class in the game? ranger
    6. MMMM PALADINS. guardian
    7. MMM ARMY OF THE DEAD AT MY COMMAND. necromancer.
    8. woo channeling the spirits of the dead, also not having to make overly complex skill choice decisions! revenant (note: can't do this if you don't have the expansion)
    9. do you like being an enormous jerk? thieves

• Options
    Previous Character Experience:
    - 35 Sylvari Engineer: Never really got comfortable with the kits. Sylvari story is kinda cool. Dude looks AMAZING.
    - 28 Norn Ranger: I don't remember anything about playing this character. I get a vague impression it was super-easy and I hit 28 in maybe half the time I did with my other characters, but recall nothing of the story or gameplay.
    - 22 Asura Ele: I vaguely remember getting to a point where I was consistently dead. Couldn't figure out how to play it then. Asura story is pretty funny, though.

I've read about all the professions and dabbled with them at low levels, but actually making a commitment is hard. I'm that dude that gets choice paralysis hardcore if I can't wrap my brain around every potential aspect of a choice and it's long-term effects on my free time and play. I don't get huge amounts of playtime for anything these days, so I feel a (likely erroneous) need to absolutely maximize fun/joy, and I don't know what combination of profession and race will provide that for me.

Which is dumb, I admit. Brains are weird, yo.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    - 35 Sylvari Engineer: Never really got comfortable with the kits. Sylvari story is kinda cool. Dude looks AMAZING.
    - 28 Norn Ranger: I don't remember anything about playing this character. I get a vague impression it was super-easy and I hit 28 in maybe half the time I did with my other characters, but recall nothing of the story or gameplay.
    - 22 Asura Ele: I vaguely remember getting to a point where I was consistently dead. Couldn't figure out how to play it then. Asura story is pretty funny, though.

I've read about all the professions and dabbled with them at low levels, but actually making a commitment is hard. I'm that dude that gets choice paralysis hardcore if I can't wrap my brain around every potential aspect of a choice and it's long-term effects on my free time and play. I don't get huge amounts of playtime for anything these days, so I feel a (likely erroneous) need to absolutely maximize fun/joy, and I don't know what combination of profession and race will provide that for me.

I have a bunch of characters, although my Asura Engineer is my main. Currently levelling up a Mesmer, to play something completely different. I also have a 80 Ranger I don't see much (although I now have her out in Tyria, bandit farming while my main is in Heart of Thorns).

I'd recommend starting over, ideally using cash from your other characters to buy bag (or craft them).

And join the guild, I'm sure people will help start you off !

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Sylvari are really cool, their story is great, and to be honest they're my favorite in terms of looks. My own Sylvari is an amazing adorable Nightmare Before Christmas type perky goth.

If you have choice paralysis issues, I'd say try a Revenant or Warrior. Revenants have a neat thing where their Utility skills all come as one discrete package, so you only actually choose from 4 skill loadouts, instead of potentially 20 different skills. Warriors meanwhile are probably the simplest class to play, in that their mechanic is mostly "hit stuff."

Engineers and Eles are by far the most difficult and annoying classes, because you have to have a super good handle on either kits or attunements. Like I said earlier, it's kinda like trying to play Mozart while doing calculus sometimes.

*e* I'll also say that Necros are pretty simple overall like Warriors most of the time; there are complexities you can get into, but you can equally just go "idk MINIONS." they are tougher than the other spellcasting classes too. and as a sylvari you can look like a cute pumpkin goth.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

You can sort of divide the professions the way they're commonly played into those that rely more on cooldowns and those that rely more on autoattack with their cooldowns being for specific purposes. Engineer and Ele both are solidly into the cooldown dependent damage classes. Warrior is similar. So it may be worth exploring the less cooldown dependent classes like thief, rev, or guardian.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    ky13ky13 Registered User regular
    I am still alive. I swear.

Eternity_Sky-banner-4.png
    Hey, it's me, Teldra! Did someone say "greatsword"? [Eternity]
  • Options
    I ended up rolling a Sylvari Ranger, of all things. We'll see how this goes!

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Of the five classes I've tried (Ranger, Ele, Mesmer, Thief, Guardian), I've found Ranger to be the easiest to play, because they have a lot of ways to keep enemies away from them while they kill from a distance.

• Options
    Unexpected Bonus: Female Sylvari is Jennifer Hale! Awesome.

FemShep Sylvari Ranger Cannon.

• Options
    Depending on the ME3 ending you chose it might even make sense.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBS9yhc9ISA

haha hey @Kylindra there's a new jumping puzzle! It's called the Chalice of Tears :V

• Options
    KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    haha hey @Kylindra there's a new jumping puzzle! It's called the Chalice of Tears :V

Based on the comments could either be awesome or terrible. I like the part about figuring out where to go and difficult jumps. I do NOT like the part about dealing with enemies. In my mind, that doesn't make a JP hard, it makes it annoying, mostly if you have to do it alone. So it'll probably be at its most fun early on and then god help you later.

Repeatable hearts? Sounds like dailies. :(

• Options
    Kylindra wrote: »

Based on the comments could either be awesome or terrible. I like the part about figuring out where to go and difficult jumps. I do NOT like the part about dealing with enemies. In my mind, that doesn't make a JP hard, it makes it annoying, mostly if you have to do it alone. So it'll probably be at its most fun early on and then god help you later.

Yeah agreed on both accounts. Repeatable hearts is just sorta like... why? Hearts were a crutch for transitioning from traditional MMO gameplay to the more event-based play, why they back :\

• Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular

Yeah agreed on both accounts. Repeatable hearts is just sorta like... why? Hearts were a crutch for transitioning from traditional MMO gameplay to the more event-based play, why they back :\

I like hearts...

I mean I like events too and I'll happily wander away from a heart to go do one if I see it happening but there are lots of things about hearts to commend. It's nice that there is a decent amount of content that is always available and requires no outside game knowledge to trigger.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Sometimes you get into a map just as Hab or the Unbound Guardian gets killed and have to putz around for half an hour for them to be back up. I wouldn't want them all to be this way but having at least one high level zone where you're not a beholden to the map timer could be nice for times your schedule is tight.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    How is Guild Wars 1 ?

I never really got into it when it came out, but I'm tempted to grab it, and play it in between Living World updates, mostly for the lore, and to play through event I've only heard about in GW2.

Has it aged well? Worth a play ? The platinum version is only £13 and comes with all the expansions.

• Options
    The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    GW1 and GW2 are VERY different games. Pretty much the only thing in common is the name/lore. Do not get GW1 expecting a rougher/older version of GW2

GW1 is not open world, has no dodging, jumping, mobile combat, or personal craft disciplines. Maps are instanced for you (and your party if you have one) if you're not playing with other humans then you need to make use of NPCs. Personally I felt GW1 was also a lot harder and more punishing especially early on than GW2. However, there are some "killer combos" you can make later that make stuff a lot easier.

It may seem like I'm poo-poo'ing GW1 but I'm not, I loved GW1 and sunk a lot of time into it. It is a great game, and I definitely think it's worth playing today. Whether you'll have fun with it will depend on your ability to adjust and deal with its sometimes sharp edges. If you can get into it then it's great, the build diversity, the fun of having mobs with interesting and lethal abilities, figuring out how to adjust your build to deal those asshole mobs in a particular map.

Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
  • Options
    MortifiedPenguinMortifiedPenguin Registered User regular
    Yea, I'm doing the trials in Prophecies right now and at this point I wish I had played something other than a warrior. I spend half of my time watching my character path towards targets and the whole thing feels beyond clunky. I'm still enjoying the story well enough, but it definitely shows its age.

• Options
    GW1 is to GW2 what Warcraft 3 is to World of Warcraft. They're both great games in their own right (and yes okay look, despite everything WoW was good and a landmark of the genre, let's not get into that argument) but they're very, very different in terms of mechanics and gameplay style. Speaking of Blizzard games, I'd call GW1 a sort of Diablo-esque game, in that everything is instanced and you're more "dungeon"-crawling through the world with friends (just, y'know, the "dungeon" consists often of mountains and jungle, but it's functionally the same).

It's still a very good game, just, as others have said, old and kinda clunky. Combat is more about micro-managing yourself & your NPC party members.

• Options
    Whoa. WTF happened to Lion's Arch?

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

A walking salad blew it up

Then Tyria's version of Aperture Science rebuilt it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

the cool music video version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gHsliMTzhg

an explanation:

a salad named Scarlet Briar was an overambitious scientist type who ended up partnering with an asura; the asura unwisely opened her mind to the entire Eternal Alchemy which let Moredremoth in and he was like HEY WHY DONT YOU KILL EVERYONE and she went "... UNSURE ACTUALLY FUCK afjlsdjfdlsjfl;a;jlsdf" and kind of completely lost her mind; half the time her actions seem to be to troll moredremoth / understand him so she can kill him, the other half she's his salad puppet.

in any case both halves of her brain were like "let's wake that bastard up early." my own interpretation is that half of her was like, "then these idiots with their airships will bomb the fuck out of him and i can get some quiet" and the other half was like "HAHAHA YES MASTER AWAKEN."

in any case, dragons eat magic from the ley-lines. lion's arch happens to be over a giant ley-line intersection. scarlet dropped a huge fucking drill onto lion's arch in order to redirect the ley-line energy to moredremoth in order to wake his butt up early. this had uh side effects, namely nuking LA.

then aperture science (aka the Consortium) funded the rebuilding of LA and decided that GIANT FISH BUILDINGS were the new in thing this year.

• Options
    Huh. Kinda sad I missed that.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Huh. Kinda sad I missed that.

It was kinda badly implemented when it came out, actually, but in hindsight it's a pretty good story.

*e* Namely, Scarlet's actual motivations and the fact that she was torn and losing her mind didn't come out until WELL into Season 2 of the Living Story, after LA had been blown up in the first place. While she was attacking us, she came off as this inexplicable nonsense mustache twirling villain who was just into it for Teh Evulz and evaded all our attempts to capture/kill her because she was ~speshul~. Stuff like "She attended all three Asuran colleges even though she was a Sylvari! AND studied under a renowned Norn metalsmith and Charr engineer!" were given out of context -- when the truth was more like, "She wheedled and whined her way into the Asuran colleges by allowing them to use her as a test subject which still gave her access to their libraries & resources; she legitimately apprenticed under the Norn and Charr, but also stole a lot of their stuff and betrayed them later."

There was some REALLY bad storytelling where we'd fight her, but she'd ~LOL ESCAPE~ ~HURR PART OF HER PLAN :V ~ which very much soured people on her. I still think that's bad storytelling and it would have been better if she'd been throwing lieutenants at us or something.

And the EXTENT to which she was either Mordremoth's puppet OR rebelling against him STILL isn't known.

IN HINDSIGHT she's actually a fascinating, complex character, but boy howdy she was badly presented when first introduced.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    Gonna be honest, I completely missed the parts where she wasn't just a mad person/puppet and was rebelling, despite playing everything as it came out.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Gonna be honest, I completely missed the parts where she wasn't just a mad person/puppet and was rebelling, despite playing everything as it came out.

That was because that stuff wasn't THERE as it came out / when it came out. It's in Season 2, and where it IS in Season 2 is really, really subtle and easy to miss, and also somewhat subject to interpretation. Stuff in her audio logs in Dry Top... a BIG one is her Journal, which I think was in S1, but again, it's easy to miss/misinterpret.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scarlet_Briar's_Journal

"It communicated with me through images of death, destruction, and destiny. I must know more. I must confront it and put an end to this madness."

Which doesn't suggest her just gleefully doing Mordremoth's bidding, it suggests trying to get it to stop the damn thing. But that gets hard to do when said thing is basically yelling DO THE THING I TOLD YOU TO DO constantly.

*edit* So, ironically, I think Scarlet's original pre-Omadd plan was indeed to build up an army to go after "this damn thing in my head that's giving me nightmares" -- hence her alliances, experiments with steam creatures, etc. Post-Omadd, with Mordremoth actively in her head, I think in her lucid moments she recognized that she couldn't not wake Mordremoth -- the thing was too strong and too much in her head. This, in turn, meant that trying to fight it with HER army was pointless, because it'd just take her over. So instead, her plan became "antagonize the shit out of the Pact and force their hand by waking Mordremoth and thus making sure they know it exists so THEY go kill it." But then she'd swing back and forth between her original plan, Mordremoth's plan, and that plan, which is why her own stuff seemed so inconsistent and weird.

I genuinely believe that's what ArenaNet was going for, but it turns out that narrative in MMOs is hard and their execution was kinda... eh.

On a related note, I think this would have been expanded on in the aborted Nightmare Court storyline of Heart of Thorns -- there's A LOT of evidence that there was a 4th lane in Dragon's Stand and some other places around the jungle where we would have met more Nightmare Court and discovered that they were rebelling against / fighting Mordremoth, because in the end the Court doesn't want to be beholden to ANYONE -- not the Tree OR the Dragon. So I think Scarlet violently and ineffectively fighting back could have paralleled that, and we might have gotten more of her story from them... but yeah narrative in games is hard.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    GW1 and GW2 are VERY different games. Pretty much the only thing in common is the name/lore. Do not get GW1 expecting a rougher/older version of GW2

GW1 is not open world, has no dodging, jumping, mobile combat, or personal craft disciplines. Maps are instanced for you (and your party if you have one) if you're not playing with other humans then you need to make use of NPCs. Personally I felt GW1 was also a lot harder and more punishing especially early on than GW2. However, there are some "killer combos" you can make later that make stuff a lot easier.

It may seem like I'm poo-poo'ing GW1 but I'm not, I loved GW1 and sunk a lot of time into it. It is a great game, and I definitely think it's worth playing today. Whether you'll have fun with it will depend on your ability to adjust and deal with its sometimes sharp edges. If you can get into it then it's great, the build diversity, the fun of having mobs with interesting and lethal abilities, figuring out how to adjust your build to deal those asshole mobs in a particular map.

The same mistake a bunch of us made. GW1 was amazing, I couldn't quite click with GW2!

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Monday again, back to the daily grind, and all I want to do is go home and play my ranger. YouTube videos of ranger gameplay is unfulfilling.

• Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

The same mistake a bunch of us made. GW1 was amazing, I couldn't quite click with GW2!

Well, to be honest, your ADD kicks in after 5 minutes and you have to go ride bikes (In every game ever!).

253J736.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016

That was because that stuff wasn't THERE as it came out / when it came out. It's in Season 2, and where it IS in Season 2 is really, really subtle and easy to miss, and also somewhat subject to interpretation. Stuff in her audio logs in Dry Top... a BIG one is her Journal, which I think was in S1, but again, it's easy to miss/misinterpret.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scarlet_Briar's_Journal

"It communicated with me through images of death, destruction, and destiny. I must know more. I must confront it and put an end to this madness."

Which doesn't suggest her just gleefully doing Mordremoth's bidding, it suggests trying to get it to stop the damn thing. But that gets hard to do when said thing is basically yelling DO THE THING I TOLD YOU TO DO constantly.

*edit* So, ironically, I think Scarlet's original pre-Omadd plan was indeed to build up an army to go after "this damn thing in my head that's giving me nightmares" -- hence her alliances, experiments with steam creatures, etc. Post-Omadd, with Mordremoth actively in her head, I think in her lucid moments she recognized that she couldn't not wake Mordremoth -- the thing was too strong and too much in her head. This, in turn, meant that trying to fight it with HER army was pointless, because it'd just take her over. So instead, her plan became "antagonize the shit out of the Pact and force their hand by waking Mordremoth and thus making sure they know it exists so THEY go kill it." But then she'd swing back and forth between her original plan, Mordremoth's plan, and that plan, which is why her own stuff seemed so inconsistent and weird.

I genuinely believe that's what ArenaNet was going for, but it turns out that narrative in MMOs is hard and their execution was kinda... eh.

On a related note, I think this would have been expanded on in the aborted Nightmare Court storyline of Heart of Thorns -- there's A LOT of evidence that there was a 4th lane in Dragon's Stand and some other places around the jungle where we would have met more Nightmare Court and discovered that they were rebelling against / fighting Mordremoth, because in the end the Court doesn't want to be beholden to ANYONE -- not the Tree OR the Dragon. So I think Scarlet violently and ineffectively fighting back could have paralleled that, and we might have gotten more of her story from them... but yeah narrative in games is hard.

Yeah, I completely missed any importance of that line. Probably because I was too busy with the mechanic of finding the capital letters. Glad you pointed it out.

And is it right that she made the steam creatures before getting her mind opened? I guess I just took it as her getting her mind opened, THEN doing everything important.

I feel like it's also hard to keep track of dates in this game (and many other games)... Like, you can tell me that Thaumanova blew up in the year 1234, but I also need a note (1 year ago) or somebody commenting "Wow, that was just last year" to put things into perspective.

Perrsun on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    WolveSight wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Well, to be honest, your ADD kicks in after 5 minutes and you have to go ride bikes (In every game ever!).

Hey, shut up, I've really been into Hex.

Oh, the Destiny xpac drops tomorrow?

Pokemon what now?

What is this I don't even.
This discussion has been closed.