Options

USA Presidential Election 2016: Galoot Debate

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Astrology is a fun thing that doesn't really hurt anyone

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Astrology is a bunch of garbage nonsense, and anyone who believes in it is a doof.

This pretty accurate coming from an Aquarius

Peas on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »

I mean, as long as people aren't buying into scams based on it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

I think it can be hurtful in an indirect and oblique way. It deceives people for profit and is the thin end of a wedge that ends with spiritualists taking grieving people's money to give them a few platitudes about their dead loved ones. At least in the UK, premium rate astrology lines are common, and vulnerable people lose thousands of pounds to them.

My take that I'm trying to live by is "don't respect the belief, but respect the person". I don't have a problem telling someone that astrology is bollocks and they shouldn't believe it, but I would try my best to ensure I'm not making them feel stupid or attacking them for it.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Astrology is a bunch of garbage nonsense, and anyone who believes in it is a doof.

and yet, it can still be a fun thing.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I had no idea bout the astrology thing. Apparently I'm Ophiuchus now. Cool.

Ophiuchus, I choose you!

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular

and yet, it can still be a fun thing.

Fun for others, maybe. I'll have no part of it.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Hacksaw is a stranger to our lands, born under unknown stars.

• Options
    Essentially anything that has a deeply unpleasant and insidious effect on people's lives has at least a surface level of "fun" or otherwise rewarding aspect to it. MMOs and F2P games are undeniably "fun" and also exploit weaknesses in the human condition to bilk money out of the vulnerable. Crack cocaine? Super fucking fun.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    You know, I bet if you were a good statistician you could come up with a pretty good horoscope just based on seasonal cutoffs in your culture. Like in America, you know that a kid born in October is more likely to be good at sports than one born in August because school starts in September. That's got to influence a personality in a statistically significant way, right?

Wouldn't it be the other way around? The one born in August is likely to "start late" and therefore be bigger and more experienced for their grade level

Nah, the one born in August would be just old enough at the start of the school year and would be one of the youngest kids in class, while the October child would still be 4 when school starts, and the next year they'd be almost 6 and one of he oldest.

That really only means they'll have an advantage during their school years though, it wouldn't necessarily translate to much if anything as an adult, beyond maybe being more likely to stick with sports rather than being discouraged playing against bigger/more mature kids all the time. Meanwhile an August kid that stuck it out could end up stronger for it, having been the underdog for over a decade.

You're right, I got those months switched around!

But it really does make a difference. If you try something and find you're naturally better at it than everyone around you, you're more likely to keep doing it and get even better at it. Meanwhile, if you try something and realize that everyone around you is better at it, you're more likely to go and try something else instead. That's why "red shirting" is a thing in football states, where parents try and exploit any loophole they can to put off sending their kids to kindergarten until the following year.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    pretty surprised that we can be openly against fact checking

Facts have a known liberal bias.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

Either they can't read their own graph or I can't. The difference is 40 points, not 59.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    76%-17% is 59%

Jars on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    If Trump wins are we going to see future elections with both parties pulling this 100% bullshit flood of lies tactic?

given how successful it's been
    it might be too late already

I mean, when did the Colbert Report start? Post-truth politics had already been old hat by that first episode

Reality based community
    The source of the term is a quotation in an October 17, 2004, The New York Times Magazine article by writer Ron Suskind, "Faith, Certainty and the Presidency of George W. Bush," quoting an unnamed aide to George W. Bush (later attributed to Karl Rove):
    The aide said that guys like me were "in what we call the reality-based community," which he defined as people who "believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality." ... "That's not the way the world really works anymore," he continued. "We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality—judiciously, as you will—we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors…and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    76%-17% is 59%

Right you are, i couldn't see the 76% bit so I was reading the numbers from the previous poll.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    there's all sorts of beliefs that have exploited folk for profit, some more organized than others

astrology doesn't necessarily have to be one of them
    not that I really want to engage in a full-throated defense of astrology, since I don't believe in it

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    there's all sorts of beliefs that have exploited folk for profit, some more organized than others

astrology doesn't necessarily have to be one of themt

It doesn't have to be, but it is.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Astrology is just hogwarts houses but not dumb
    What's your achetype; evil, bold, smart, or lazy

THOSE ARE THE ONLY OPTIONS

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular

My family once went to a family psychiatrist who attributed all our problems to our astrological signs.

We did not go back to this psychiatrist.

• Options
    NeoToma wrote: »

you should be able to, like, blend the houses to get more nuance.
    Slythindor. Ravenpuff.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

My family once went to a family psychiatrist who attributed all our problems to our astrological signs.

We did not go back to this psychiatrist.

It was kind of mind-blowing to learn that Meyers-Briggs might as well be astrology in terms of its scientific validity. I'd been given that test in jobs, in counseling, and in college classrooms.

It's weird how deep bullshit can creep into culture.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I like astrology because when i ask folks to define themselves everyone goes
    "Im vibrant flower that just cant be defined, im not like other folk an-
    Oh what's your sign?
    "Aries: it doesnt fit cuase im not an asshole."
    Cool thats far more useful

Mostly i like the ways in which people choose the brand or describe themslves and astrology gives us a starting point.
    There's enough wiggle room and varation within each sign folks can cherry pick the things that the think fit

Its useful to have language to define yourself and astrology is more interesting defining yourself by the things you like to consume

NeoToma on
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    It's supposed to be sunny tomorrow, and the next day. I am strongly considering going camping, and coming back tuesday.

I will have to get all my shit together, like tonight.

but damn if it doesn't seem like a good idea.

because seriously. engaging with any piece of the debate that treats mr. dayglo shitler like a real human being will make me absolutely insane.

Label on
  • Options
    Oh what's your sign?

Mostly i like the ways in which people choose the brand or describe themslves and astrology gives us a starting point.
    There's enough wiggle room and varation within each sign folks can cherry pick the things that the think fit

Its useful to have language to define yourself and astrology is more interesting defining yourself by the things you like to consume

I define myself by the people I hate.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular

Oh it's totally lazy!

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

I think it can be hurtful in an indirect and oblique way. It deceives people for profit and is the thin end of a wedge that ends with spiritualists taking grieving people's money to give them a few platitudes about their dead loved ones. At least in the UK, premium rate astrology lines are common, and vulnerable people lose thousands of pounds to them.

My take that I'm trying to live by is "don't respect the belief, but respect the person". I don't have a problem telling someone that astrology is bollocks and they shouldn't believe it, but I would try my best to ensure I'm not making them feel stupid or attacking them for it.

I have it in the same category as playing the lottery and other games of pure chance

ideally nobody would do them for any other reason than for their own enjoyment, being fully cognizant of the fact that (continuing with the lottery example) doing it is a total waste of money

and when that is true, you know, it's your money, do whatever boats your float

but just like there are a lot of predatory games of chance (we've all been to a carnival), there are also some real dirtbags out there slingin' horoscopes

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Label wrote: »
    It's supposed to be sunny tomorrow, and the next day. I am strongly considering going camping, and coming back tuesday.

I will have to get all my shit together, like tonight.

but damn if it doesn't seem like a good idea.

because seriously. engaging with any piece of the debate that treats mr. dayglo shitler like a real human being will make me absolutely insane.

http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html
    BtfJA9I.jpg

http://www.ask8ball.net/
    eC1rb9E.jpg

Peas on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i was a gryffindor on the old pottermore, they made me take the quiz again and it sorted me into hufflepuff

delete the internet

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Oh what's your sign?

I think Myers-Briggs types might be better for that sort of thing

• Options
    I was a Hufflepuff in both old and new Pottermore.

And my Patronus is a Black Mamba.

• Options
    Is it gay to fuck your patronus? I'm asking for a friend.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I don't know anything about the ascribed personality traits of the signs in astrology and I refuse to learn them.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Don't kink shame

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    The ladyfriend and I have had disagreements bordering on heated about whether I'm Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff

(I insist the former, she's adamant it's the latter)

• Options

Patronuses emerge from ones self are an aspect of ones self, so it would be more like masturbation, I think.

Patronanism.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular

It's been a while since I read/watched, but I know there's at least one dude with a Ma-tronus

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I am 100% a Hufflepuff

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I was a Hufflepuff in both old and new Pottermore.

And my Patronus is a Black Mamba.

Ah yes Hufflepuff. Hogwarts house to John Cena.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    man I hate Harry Potter houses

Heroes, Villains, Nerds, and Other

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I don't know anything about the ascribed personality traits of the signs in astrology and I refuse to learn them.

The new one is for people who grudgingly tolerate MSPA

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.