Options

USA Presidential Election 2016: Galoot Debate

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    So this was a legit rout?

I would say it wasnt 100% a rout. Trump was somewhat together for the first... 10 minutes, and but then he just fell apart. Clinton was just dunking all night long though. So like 80% rout.
    I think there's just no good way for her to talk about NAFTA, we can only hope he doesn't catch on for the second debate.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    He also sounded like a complete fool all night. It's very apparent that he didn't prepare at all. I had to stop watching partway through for the same reason I can't make it through certain shows like The Office. The awkwardness eventually gets to be too much.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    there were some moments where Clinton opened fire on Trump's income tax issue, his actual poor business performance, and some other things, and instead of the expected Trump outburst, he kinda just stood there.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    chapter 11

fucking destroyed

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    He also sounded like a complete fool all night. It's very apparent that he didn't prepare at all. I had to stop watching partway through for the same reason I can't make it through certain shows like The Office. The awkwardness eventually gets to be too much.

I usually have this problem as well but I got around it this time by being unable to follow anything he was saying for more than a few seconds. My attention would just wander and i'd start thinking about something else, then i'd pop back with a "wait, did he just say that?" and i'd have to check the chat to see if I had heard correctly.

She was great though, and a lot of fun to watch.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    chapter 11

fucking destroyed

was that actually in the debate?

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    If he could have controlled himself I'd be terrified. Hillary's initial answer on trade deals could have been damaging to her, but trump dropped every ball thrown to him after that. Thankfully.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    David Frum is now saying Hilary was smiling too much.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Veagle wrote: »

NO.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »

Specifically, asking 'who told her to smile so much?' and the replies are fucking -devastating-.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Trump almost at times seemed kinda polite.

Sorta.

That was probably me mistaking his silence for politeness though.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    How dare a woman enjoy herself on live television.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Sorta.

Yeah, I think that was mostly 'seething quietly'. I genuinely believe Trump expected this to go very, very differently, and didn't realize that he wasn't going to get away with the same crap as during the primary.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options

I mean I know this doesn't surprise anyone but it was all of them.

Also Vox counted the interruptions of Hillary. 70 total, about 3/4 from Trump and a few from holt but those may have been partly trying to move on for time?

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Getting checked by the moderator repeatedly was really something. Wasn't there talk about the moderator planning to not do that? But he did. A lot. "The record says otherwise" is a difficult thing to try to counter.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    This loss is going to have Trump reeling for at least a couple of days. One has to assume he's gonna have to seriously change his strategy to survive the next debate, right?

I am honestly curious if he is even recognizing it as a loss.

I think that would require a measure of introspection and humility that I just don't think he possesses.

Just look at how he tried to dodge the "will you accept the results of the election" question. He can't imagine loosing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

She's just the best in the business. There's a reason her big campaign before this was Todd "Legitimate Rape" Akins

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Xehalus wrote: »
    chapter 11

fucking destroyed

was that actually in the debate?
    Yeah she pulled it out again, you might as well I guess.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    GSM wrote: »
    Getting checked by the moderator repeatedly was really something. Wasn't there talk about the moderator planning to not do that? But he did. A lot. "The record says otherwise" is a difficult thing to try to counter.

The one I think we're all worried about is Fox News anchor and reigning Most Disappointing Son in the World Chris Wallace.

Because there is zero doubt that he will be biased towards Trump, and what that means for the debate is frighteningly unclear.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    So this was a legit rout?

I would say it wasnt 100% a rout. Trump was somewhat together for the first... 10 minutes, and but then he just fell apart. Clinton was just dunking all night long though. So like 80% rout.
    I think there's just no good way for her to talk about NAFTA, we can only hope he doesn't catch on for the second debate.

Despite the primaries, no one gives a shit about trade. 85% of voters have no idea what TPP is.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Carson VendettaCarson Vendetta Registered User regular
    i have a question about donating to the Clinton campaign. I don't have my own place yet and I'm not sure my family wants to receive my political mail. Did you all receive a lot of mail after contributing?

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Okay, so, I thought the whole "he's not gonna prepare!" stuff was going to be a way to lower expectations, but the way they're playing this comes across more like, "preparing is for nerds," which is an interesting tactic for a presidential campaign

• Options
    edited September 2016
    i have a question about donating to the Clinton campaign. I don't have my own place yet and I'm not sure my family wants to receive my political mail. Did you all receive a lot of mail after contributing?

Mail no, I think I've received like 2 or 3 pieces and I've been donating to her campaign for 10+ months. I get more physical mail from Senate/House candidates I've donated to
    Email yes because that's how that works (but I filter it all into its own tag and archive)

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Okay, so, I thought the whole "he's not gonna prepare!" stuff was going to be a way to lower expectations, but the way they're playing this comes across more like, "preparing is for nerds," which is an interesting tactic for a presidential campaign

I mean the media thinks its an equally valid strategy

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    "maybe clinton did TOO good"'

oh fuck off

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    And that was a zinger that she prepared for, with the "I think he's saying I prepared too much... but that's what you're supposed to do if your're a politician and more importantly a leader"

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    PantsB wrote: »

I mean the media thinks its an equally valid strategy

that's obviously a shitty take, but I can see where "this is too rehearsed" could come off as a valid criticism. I don't think it applies here, but rubio blew himself up in the primaries in part because he was too committed to getting off his sound bites

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    what can we say about Hillary to be polarizing

I dunno let's complain about her being good at debating what a nerd

• Options
    I didn't get any junk mail, I didn't even get the magnet I was supposed to get, I don't think they're spending much money on mailers. But they will send you a thousand emails and texts if you don't unsubscribe.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I got the feeling that her smiling while he was spewing his bullsh*t was basically her responding the same way you would when someone cuts you off. Either you flip them the bird, or you just fire a sh*t-eating grin at them like you don't have a care in the world.

Alternately, you could hear her thinking "Bless his heart" every time he opened his mouth, in, like, the southern way where it's actually more of a threat/insult.

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq4U3n3cvNY

the way she just turns him into a joke here is so great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UASFmTAKYnQ&feature=youtu.be&t=32

really the end of this debate was great for clinton on so many levels. Just that quote, his just complete collapse when she brought it up.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Sorta.

Please don't mistake my weakness for kindness.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    UiPfg7V.png

He's not wrong

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I skipped 20 pages, because I read the D&D threads. Sorry. I think Lester did alright.

• Options
    BigPointyTeethBigPointyTeeth run away! run away! MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Towards the end, Trump was reminding me of the election in Parks and Rec.

https://youtu.be/dinCqrw4xFg

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

No. Just emails.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Isn't there usually a "check this box if you do (not) want mail from us" option?

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Isn't there usually a "check this box if you do (not) want mail from us" option?

Tell that to Daily Kos

Fuckin' won't stop sending me petitions to sign because I listened to them one time and emailed my congressman

Fuck off, jerks

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
This discussion has been closed.