As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[tech] It's Tech Spring Cleaning Week now. Clean your....tech....stuff.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    maybe they'll FINALLY make a circular phone

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The Samsung FuckmethisbloodyphoneisHUGE, coming out in 2017.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'd love some good dumb adjective names.

Samsung Tremendous

Samsung Gigantic

Samsung Outlandish

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Samsung Monolith

and the Samsung Monolith Jr.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    AnBdlAG.png
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/10/gear-vr-no-longer-works-with-explosive-galaxy-note-7/

i hadn't really considered it, but using the gear vr with an exploding note 7 does seem like a uniquely bad scenario

also:

h4b9ePb.png

UT6USKQ.png
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/10/rip-galaxy-note-7-samsung-permanently-ends-production/

officially dead now

Brolo on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Samsung OhdamnitnowIneedtoshopforjeansbasedentirelyonpocketsize

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    That's too bad about the Samsung Galaxy Note 7.

• Options
    Samsung OhdamnitnowIneedtoshopforjeansbasedentirelyonpocketsize

vu6SeI0.jpg

big phones are the future

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    feel like Lifeproof really missed the boat on the fireproof case

• Options
    5Eg1nZj.jpg

the future

gGwIuRp.png

the future

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    whats crazy is they gave up... you do that if you have literally no idea what's wrong

i bet the guy whose responsibility that is just went on vacation and threw his phone into the ocean or something

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »

I like the idea of a case designed not to protect a phone from the world, but the world from the phone

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    5Eg1nZj.jpg

the future

gGwIuRp.png

the future

In fairness, there are many potential uses for a Surface Table. I thought they'd become more of a thing, in fact.

• Options
    you cant have a thing if there's no software for it

the software situation on the Surface is... legendarily bad

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I figured whoever was enough of a fancy lad to buy a Surface Table would probably develop their own software to use with it. Perhaps instead of running it on Surface, building it directly onto Windows 10 would be less of a hassle.

Either way, I just thought we'd see more touch screens in more places than we already do.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Jasconius wrote: »

Aside from the fact that you can run every windows program on it.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »

Who cares about Windows though, nobody uses that shit anymore!

• Options

hardly any of which have been designed for a touch screen (which is highly relevant to the conversation on this page!), and a sum much greater than whole optimized for the ultra high DPI panels of the surface products

so yeah it runs win32 apps... well, I can hack a nintendo wii to call apt-get, but since most linux software doesn't gel with wiimote commands, I wouldn't say it's a great personal computer

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

The original surfaces were using Windows RT or something similar IIRC, only the Pro and Surface 4+ were actual bonafide intel PCs that could run anything.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

The original surfaces were using Windows RT or something similar IIRC, only the Pro and Surface 4+ were actual bonafide intel PCs that could run anything.

that's really beside the point. The surface 4 fails as a tablet. If you're using it as anything other than a soggy laptop replacement then congratulations, you're one of the 20 people in their ad campaign

• Options
    I guess that must be true because you just said it.

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    afaik the Surface table became PixelSense and that runs Intel (just chiming in on the RT stuff)

• Options
    Yeah applications need to be built with that stuff in mind because of limited resources (similar to the ipad) and because it uses a different instruction set than x86 (ARM based I think). So you're limited to what's on the app store and built with the RT/PixelSense stuff in general.

This is where a lot of the confusion with the Surface vs Surface Pro/Surface 4+ stuff comes from actually.

The Surface Pro tablets are actually pretty solid. I got one on a whim as recommended by Tube and it does a lot of things well, but it's not a very good laptop replacement. But that's fine. It excels in places where you need something a bit more than an ipad, but nothing really as extreme as a big clunky tablet. If I was going to do it again, I might get the convertible tablets with the laptop keyboard that you can fold away, but, all in all it is handy.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I guess that must be true because you just said it.

actually a lot of people say it, and its really not all that hard to find these opinions expressed in major technology publications...

do I need to get you to certify an MLA formatted reference before I express my harmless opinions? shouldn't there be some sort of form for that? would save you the trouble of having to look for these posts

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Yeah applications need to be built with that stuff in mind because of limited resources (similar to the ipad) and because it uses a different instruction set than x86 (ARM based I think). So you're limited to what's on the app store and built with the RT/PixelSense stuff in general.

This is where a lot of the confusion with the Surface vs Surface Pro/Surface 4+ stuff comes from actually.

The Surface Pro tablets are actually pretty solid. I got one on a whim as recommended by Tube and it does a lot of things well, but it's not a very good laptop replacement. But that's fine. It excels in places where you need something a bit more than an ipad, but nothing really as extreme as a big clunky tablet. If I was going to do it again, I might get the convertible tablets with the laptop keyboard that you can fold away, but, all in all it is handy.

they're fine computers but the original discussion was about the giant surface table

i think any reasonable person would say that you probably need special software for a 42 inch touchscreen computer to be good... and the Surface does not have special software at all.

Which is the entire reason why the Pro is the only thing even remotely viable as a product. I have a Surface Pro 4. I know it very well. I'm not missing anything here.

• Options
    I misread, sorry, I thought it was tablet.

I can think of a few applications for the table, but they're all business related.

• Options
    do I need to get you to certify an MLA formatted reference before I express my harmless opinions? shouldn't there be some sort of form for that?

I'd settle for you simply not being shitty about them. I understand this is a technology thread and we're all supposed to act like tribalist pricks, but this isn't that type of forum.

• Options
    do I need to get you to certify an MLA formatted reference before I express my harmless opinions? shouldn't there be some sort of form for that?

I'd settle for you simply not being shitty about them. I understand this is a technology thread and we're all supposed to act like tribalist pricks, but this isn't that type of forum.

I'm in the running for least technology tribalist person in this thread. The cross-sections of devices I own or have owned is sickeningly chaotic. I've seen and interacted (and written software for) almost every consumer computing system and form factor that has come out since iPhone 1.

it wasn't my intention to come off as a prick, but having apparently insulted your baby I could see how some might see it that way

for that I am legitimately sorry

i would love to talk about these things instead of snipe each other about it, this isn't the politics thread afterall

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I use this Surface Pro 3 every day for work. It totally works fine as a work laptop replacement while being lighter and still usable as a touchscreen with full windows 10.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I didn't think anything Jasc said was necessarily being shitty about anything. He was just stating things.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Also we use APA citations here.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    get the fuck out of here

chicago or nothing

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    get the fuck out of here

chicago or nothing

Chicago is fine but we don't need the extensive end note citation format it provides over APA. maybe if this was a history subform.

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    get the fuck out of here

chicago or nothing

Chicago is fine but we don't need the extensive end note citation format it provides over APA. maybe if this was a history subform.

fine. fine! i'm not upset or anything.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah, in jas' case here, I think he hates everything.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    It's true that i find almost everything about technology over the past few years to be utterly fucking horrific

But it's only because I know what it looks like, and was engaged professionally, when it's done correctly. (For example, Apple desktop and mobile environments, 2007-2010)

I think the future for ms is extremely bright but the surface is not part of that

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    T4CT wrote: »

sHdZRNu.png

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/10/heres-how-to-return-your-note-7-without-blowing-up-the-mail-service/

Brolo on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Holy crap

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    now THAT is pretty incredible

those protective gloves need to be treasured

• Options
    "Recovery Box"

This discussion has been closed.