Options

David [Chat] Pumpkins

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    plorp
    Ludious wrote: »
    Like it's technically not inappropriate to label this conversation as really gay right

Considering I just pictured a towers of Hanoi puzzle where all the game pieces were dudes...no.

Didn't someone get in trouble for that at Guantanamo?

Abu Ghraib, and it was a human pyramid. No penetration.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    like a week after katrina someone asked me what did the little black kid say in new orleans

i don't know, what did he say?

*gargling choking noises*

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    like I get why Democrats have to cheerlead Obamacare, but it's mostly worthless if you can't come up with a significant percentage of your yearly income on a whim before the first dollar of care will be provided by your insurance

and for me, I'm in a position where it will be a long time before I can afford to use health insurance, but I'm going to have to basically take 10% of my income out and burn it for the monthly premium or I'm in violation of the law - forced to pay for care I can't afford to use
    I mean

yeah, if you have a big expense you need to pay your deductible "up front."

But like, shouldn't you still be able to go get checkups and whatnot? And preventive care. Those things still seem useful.

Yeah, your office visits and prescriptions are just on a copay. You don't need to pay 100% of those.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    a
    Gooey wrote: »
    you all should just make more money

just leads to mo problems

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    it is better for me to owe 4,000 dollars than 150,000 dollars

but there's definitely a part of my brain that's still like, 4k is not a thing i could deal with i'd probably just default

nah you could work a deal with the hospital. Most hospitals have financial counselors. You just go in lookin real sad, like that picture of you with the gun,ONLY NO GUN, and they will work with you

would they work with me if it were 150k too tho

yes but it wouldn't handwave away $146,000

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

but there's definitely a part of my brain that's still like, 4k is not a thing i could deal with i'd probably just default

nah you could work a deal with the hospital. Most hospitals have financial counselors. You just go in lookin real sad, like that picture of you with the gun,ONLY NO GUN, and they will work with you

would they work with me if it were 150k too tho

Actually yes. Hospitals know they charge fuck you stupid amounts of money because it's the insurance company that's paying the bulk of it.

You can ABSOLUTELY call the hospital, for any debt typically over $1000, and basically be all "fuck you and your $100 aspirin. I owe you $5000 and I don't fucking have that. I'll give you $200 a month for the next 12 months and we'll settle it at 50%" and they'll usually do it.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    a
    Gooey wrote: »
    you all should just make more money

just leads to mo problems

i suppose there is a linear relationship, yes

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    like I get why Democrats have to cheerlead Obamacare, but it's mostly worthless if you can't come up with a significant percentage of your yearly income on a whim before the first dollar of care will be provided by your insurance

and for me, I'm in a position where it will be a long time before I can afford to use health insurance, but I'm going to have to basically take 10% of my income out and burn it for the monthly premium or I'm in violation of the law - forced to pay for care I can't afford to use
    I mean

yeah, if you have a big expense you need to pay your deductible "up front."

But like, shouldn't you still be able to go get checkups and whatnot? And preventive care. Those things still seem useful.

Yeah, your office visits and prescriptions are just on a copay. You don't need to pay 100% of those.

is that true of all the exchange things?

i have to pay 100% of prescription costs and regular office visits until i hit my deductible. the only thing that's on a co-pay before hitting my deductible is preventative care (which in terms of office visits is defined as 1 or maybe 2 visits a year)

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I think I'm probably going to not get health insurance next year and instead just pay the fine, it'll be cheaper and I can't use the insurance anyway

3 possibilities right
    -no significant medical expenses
    -moderate medical expenses
    -major medical expenses

surely we all agree in the first scenario you lose money by not paying the fine

you seem to be saying you can't afford copays so the second scenario is the same for you as the first because you just won't receive medical care

but in the third scenario medical insurance will save you money, or else they legally wouldnt be able to sell it to you

and your financial situation is way better than it was a year ago so you have something to lose, right?

I cant afford deductibles, its going to be a while before I just get 2 grand together and stick it in savings

It's not like the doctors won't cover you or fix you just because you haven't paid your deductible yet.

You would just owe that after the fact.

HDHP usually goes hand in hand with an HSA, so just bank roll 2-8k pre tax and sit on it forever.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Hospitals would rather get some money than no money.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    like a week after katrina someone asked me what did the little black kid say in new orleans

If I ever said something critical of basic cat pic meme humor I take it back

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I should go back to being super poor, an income raise of $700/paycheck is actually ~300 a paycheck after factoring in all the extra shit I have to pay for, and it goes into the negative once the student loans start

override367 on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I can't understand why conservatives defend health insurance so much

it's soooooo baaaaaaaaaad

All I want is a single payer system that gives everyone at least a basic standard of care, but ALSO gives me the opportunity, as someone who does well(ish) for himself, to purchase additional insurance so I'm not waiting two weeks to see a doctor for something minor.

This is how the current system works.

And I can say it was not how the single payer system of Japan worked. For Japan I just went to the doc's office when sick. Waited about 15-30 minutes. No appointment. Saw the doc. Got meds. Paid 5 bucks. Left.

Really switching to single payer fixes part of the healthcare system.

Doesn't help with the destructive cost of med school, lack of general practice providers, lack of doctors and caregivers in rural areas, and a few other things which lead to the whole wait 2 weeks thing.

I can say single payer in Japan was more efficient and got me the test and care I needed with with less waiting than I have received in the US.

See for me it's been the opposite (from the American side)

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

you know the funny thing is I think you know waaaaaay more offensive jokes than I do and they are waaaaaay worse

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    i like plenty of offensive jokes. there are lots of soft guidelines about like, punching up instead of down, time since a tragedy, confidence that you know your audience etc.

but i still sometimes laugh at jokes that break any or all of those.

Don't you like Daniel Tosh?

This isn't a judgment. I enjoy his stuff. I just feel like I remember you being a person I spoke to about him before.

*braces to be pelted by rocks from chat*

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    How can you be a white collar professional in the year of our lord 2016 and not know how to set your own default printer.

i have been working as a software engineer on company networks for 7 years and i have never needed to do this at home or work

Is it because you just don't print things?

Because that's an acceptable answer
    It's a common task that can be Google'd. Even if people didn't know how to do it, they shouldn't need someone to walk them through it like babies.

The barrier there is people not knowing the appropriate verbiage to google.

"When I go to print it comes up the HP and not the hall printer" is not going to get you anywhere.

• Options
    i like plenty of offensive jokes. there are lots of soft guidelines about like, punching up instead of down, time since a tragedy, confidence that you know your audience etc.

This isn't a judgment. I enjoy his stuff. I just feel like I remember you being a person I spoke to about him before.

Tosh is funny it's just that Jeselnek is way better

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    there's a mr. show skit about a guy who sues the government because there's no warning on money that says when you spend it it's gone forever.

that's kinda funny but the execution of the skit, told as a true hollywood story, is superb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6fez3AHUzQ

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options

i hate his standup but yes i love his show

that's what i'm saying, i'm p tumblry about a lot of stuff but i laugh at a lot of repugnant jokes that never should have been thought up let alone told

• Options

I think his shtick is played out at this point but the first five years he was a big act I enjoyed him immensely. Same with Seth McFarlane

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    neither tosh nor jeselnik make me laugh ever

sig.gif
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

I like jeselnik more, but an interview I heard with him helped so that doesn't really count

I don't like Tosh really at all

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    How can you be a white collar professional in the year of our lord 2016 and not know how to set your own default printer.

i have been working as a software engineer on company networks for 7 years and i have never needed to do this at home or work

Is it because you just don't print things?

Because that's an acceptable answer

might well be

i think my printer at home is out of black ink and i bought the wrong cartridge and maybe just stopped when the cartridge was the wrong shape?

it's pretty sustainable to just drive to UPS once or twice a year when i need something printed

sig.gif
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Funniest thing I ever saw Tosh do was just his utter hatred of Lane Kiffin.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Tosh is funny it's just that Jeselnek is way better

See I don't like Jeselnek's style at all. I can't listen to him for more than like 5min because I get bored. Every joke of his seems to have the same set-up of "talk about a thing then swing into the SUPER UNEXPECTED OFFENSIVE PUNCHLINE"

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Ok there is this CRAZY indie game on Steam early access called My Summer Car.
    MY SUMMER CAR is the ultimate car owning, building, fixing, tuning, maintenance AND permadeath life survival simulator. You start the game with hundreds of loose parts and assemble both car and engine. Not only you need to maintain your car, but yourself as well. Sausages, beer and sleeping will do just fine.

If everything goes well, you have a working car which you can use for various 1990's Finnish countryside summer activities. Basically doing stupid things under influence of alcohol. After you have gathered extra money from various random jobs, you can start to tune and upgrade the car with parts ordered via snail mail. You can turn the car into a obnoxious bass-boom disco machine.... or into a rally car to participate rally competitions... or just fix it into perfect factory condition. Of course car also needs to pass the inspection or you might get into trouble with police.

Not only you have access to one car, but also several other cars and vehicles which you can use. (Mostly useful to get groceries and for towing the project car from some ditch, again).

Warning, this game is not for fainted heart. Severe car fever is required to play this properly due to it's autistic approach on car building.

Full car assembly with over hundred parts
    Detailed driving and engine simulation
    Various other vehicles, cars and boat to use and drive
    Dozens of kilometers worth of dirt and paved roads with AI traffic
    Random paying jobs to cover food, beverage and fuel expenses
    Rally event to participate in
    Permanent death
    Sauna bathing
    90's Finnish summer!
    Support for steering wheel and shifter controllers
    Much more!

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    45 minutes on hold with ISP business support because they can't find the client's account

christtt

• Options
    I think the best part of an offensive joke, for me, is that moment after when you see a person fighting an inner battle. It's like watching a jedi struggle with the dark side

the pause, the realization, the choked closed mouth hiccup

leaning forward

will they contain it

will they beat it

nope,

nope

Sith

• Options
    edited October 2016
    I was excited about getting health insurance through work but it costs just as much as my super mega poor person obamacare insurance does WITH NO SUBSIDY and its worse by every metric

override367 on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    If Tosh is funny then Comedy Central did a really bad job of marketing his show back when I sometimes watched Comedy Central. The ads just made it look like a show about a guy watching youtube clips and quipping.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I once met a Jewish girl who wanted to hear all the Holocaust jokes

that was a weird night

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Y'all should watch @midnight, it is good times. It is not cringy at all which is typically what people think when they hear the premise. It's just a fun time for comedians to joke around about stuff. I love it. Also Chris Hardwick is delightful.

• Options
    I do that with any debt though that I feel was unfairly taxed or had a loan shark level interest applied to it.

I've called tons of people over the years and just been all "look. I don't have that kind of money, period. Do you want to take half of what I owe you which is what I originally borrowed plus like 5% interest and call it a win or do you want to sell the shit as a charge off for pennies on the dollar and lose money on the deal?"

So far no one has turned down my offer to pay them what I can

• Options
    i quite like jeselnik but his little self-congratulatory 'you thought that was offensive? just you wait' bits with his big toothy grin are obnoxious. jokes themselves are great.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

The nice thing about medical expenses is that as long as you're paying something they're mostly just happy they're getting money. Most places I've talked to have been pretty good about working out payment plans. I'm paying down a colonoscopy with 20 dollar a month payments. No interest because it's a medical bill not a loan or anything so while I could pay it off sooner, 20 bucks is really really easy to do. That probably runs out soon at this point, I should check that.

But everyone should definitely get health insurance if possible, way better to have it and not need it than the alternative.

the problem is if you have a deductable more than like $500, nobody is going to go get things fixed if they're not immediately life-threatening

like oh my back hurts
    I think I need some kinda surgery

technically you can afford it but people don't want to go into debt to do it

they wait it out hoping they just get better, or their insurance might get better

for instance my knee is all kinds of fucked up right now
    I could go to the doctor and spend several hundred just to get referred to a specialst where I spend several hundred more to spend a grand on getting imaging done, and then get the choice of spending thousands on either surgery or physical therapy, or both.

oooor I could just not that and deal and hope I luck into money/baller insurance/we get single-payer

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options

that was a weird night

yeah that's really weird, unless it was during sex, in which case don't kinkshame

• Options

Mr. Puppies.

I could have told you that.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

that was a weird night

Holocaust jokes are funny usually

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

it is in fact better to owe 4k than 150k

default is not the end of the story and there are degrees of bad that happen after that

i don't know enough about medical debt to know if 40k is better than 150k but 4k definitely is

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.