Options

Completely unprepared for [chat]

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    who dimmed the lights?

where did the sound system come from?

shhhh baby don't fight it

Boooooo

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Yeah a lot of people don't realize that at amazon warehouses there are these little robot pallet jacks that just go and grab pallets and move them to and from places.

Like they've replaced people to do that.

That's only going to increase.

yeah when they start costing less than $500,000 a unit, goodbye warehouse employees

shit, if they just cost 500k/10yr combining maintenance and downtime, with no risk of workers compensation, they will be a steal.

warehouse employees don't cost $50k/yr here yet

I'd say you get them down in the $300k range and it'll be over though

yeah they do; benefits, overtime, only 1 shift a day, probably only 5-6 shifts a week, workers compensation, etc.

Yea, even assuming some down time to swap out batteries that thing is going to be running 20+ hours a day so it really compares to 3 normal workers.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    you also have to figure things like software bugs taking out your entire workforce until fixed, things like that

automated workers aren't at panacea levels yet and probably won't be for a while

That's not as big of a thing as you'd think.

Hell I worked at a warehouse that was entirely run on PLC conveyor systems 15 years ago that went down maybe one day a year for about an hour due to bugs in the system. It's pretty simple code if everything is stacked right.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah a lot of people don't realize that at amazon warehouses there are these little robot pallet jacks that just go and grab pallets and move them to and from places.

yeah when they start costing less than $500,000 a unit, goodbye warehouse employees

shit, if they just cost 500k/10yr combining maintenance and downtime, with no risk of workers compensation, they will be a steal.

50k a year maintenance/upkeep is equivalent to 30k a year in worker terms because of all the ancillary benefits that go into workers

health insurance, workers comp, disability, taxes, breaks, sleep

Hell you could probably replace several workers since it doesn't need to sleep, that's 3 shifts of workers. They're probably faster too, since they don't get tired.

50k is probably worth it over a 15k a year worker at that point.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

yeah they do; benefits, overtime, only 1 shift a day, probably only 5-6 shifts a week, workers compensation, etc.

dude i work in an actual warehouse

i know how much workers here cost

it's not $50k/yr

workers compensation is hardly even a line item, people get hurt like once every couple years

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Can't we compromise with cars

Let me have a little electric Ariel Atom to plug into a solar powered charging station amidst all the self driving pods

There will be private roads and raceways that are the dalliances of the hobbyists and the wealthy where they can still drive.

The Sport of Driving will be much like the Sport of Horseback Riding.
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Let me have a little electric Ariel Atom to plug into a solar powered charging station amidst all the self driving pods

No, you can't drive as well as a robot. Go pay to drive on a track if you wanna drive. Everyone else will be in the cars 2 inches apart going 150 down the highway with crashes reduced to a tiny fraction of what they were.

I bet this is how second amendment people feel all the time about their freedoms

I'm coming for your car desc

COLD DEAD HANDS

VROOMVROOM

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    The good news is that if Russia has a hold on the US presidency it's very unlikely that there will be global nuclear war! Probably!
    nuclear war is not worth worrying about
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIoBrob3bjI

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Delta has been playing around with using RFID for baggage handling. And they are claiming to get lost bag issues down to almost zero.

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    I mean my game plan in the case of thermonuclear war was to head to the Sierra Nevada from the foothills.

But I totally overlooked the "Everything Burns Out Here" part of Cali

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    are HRA insurance things bad? they seem bad

I am going to elect for the $9/pay period you have a $5k deductible and just pray i guess

the $80 you get $2500 to spend but have $5k deductible still seems... i dunno. if i use all 2500, that's awesome i saved $500. but if i don't... wasted money.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

it's not $50k/yr

workers compensation is hardly even a line item, people get hurt like once every couple years

I'm with synd man. I don't work in a warehouse anymore but I handle staffing and if I'm paying someone 30K a year and the company is matching their 401 contributions and paying their end of insurance and paying out vacation and sick time it's not 30K a year.

I mean it's just not.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    In other news regarding impending death, I've discovered that the key to a really good beef stew or braise is using vegetable oil

It's incredibly unhealthy, but I didn't realize that it was so much better tasting than olive oil.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    My plan is to drive towards a targeted city as fast as I can

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

it's not $50k/yr

bennies don't add up? my work claims it spends $300-500 on our insurance monthly

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I wouldn't worry about what to do in the event of nuclear war. That will take care of itself.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

I am going to elect for the $9/pay period you have a $5k deductible and just pray i guess

the $80 you get $2500 to spend but have $5k deductible still seems... i dunno. if i use all 2500, that's awesome i saved $500. but if i don't... wasted money.

I think their is tax incentives on that 80 as well but am unsure.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    i have no opinion on this matter, but i as always stand with chanus. or behind him actually if violence is about to occur because he is perfectly shield shaped

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I discovered recently that there's a decommissioned missile silo outside the town next to my town. Used to be a part of NORAD or the Triangle out here in Cali before the missile building stuff at Mather was shut down.

I'm p sure this means the Russians still have it listed as a target for a nuke strike.

Which is just great!

The Sacramento area would get pasted simply because there is a high enough population density to hit it. Most cities over 50k likely make the Russian targeting list because when you have over 7k good sized warheads then there is no reason to be stingy.

I live in the foothills currently, so I was hoping for some sort of protection from the Valley getting glassed, if that ever happened.

but now that there's a silo nearby, it would probably still be listed as a target, so yeah. So much for that.

You're fucked. Even if the blast doesn't touch you. Even if the radiation and the fallout doesn't get you then you need to keep in mind that you're in a moderately wooded area. Take a moment to imagine just how many wildfires would be started by all of the various blasts all around California.

mdbpjib6hys2.jpg

I'm sorry, let me give you some of the other follow on effects. Fallout will make it's way into the water supply. So you're gonna need to carefully filter all of your water. Any nuclear plant near you will contribute heavy metals to that nastiness. Then you have stuff like untreated sewage overflow that's gonna make lots of fun diseases spread. Basically the best possible individual outcome after a nuclear war is to be in the blast area and die close to instantly.
    Luckily, most radioactive particles do not dissolve in water and can be filtered out.

complete-bio-filter-265x400.jpg

Then you boil and use that water.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Yeah we are coming to another major revolution in humanity.

And that means a lot of pain before we come out the other side with a system in place to allow us to function again. Its scary for us because we get to live through it. And societal change on this scale has a lot of shit times over good times. But at the end humanity will have civilization very different than the current industrial model. I mean we are still mostly running off a system designed in the late 1800's early 1900's.

So yes, expect suck. Also probably our grandchildren will live in something closer to Star Trek than we do today.

Also don't laugh too much at basic income in the US. It is still very much liked by Libertarian and Conservative think tanks.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    I discovered recently that there's a decommissioned missile silo outside the town next to my town. Used to be a part of NORAD or the Triangle out here in Cali before the missile building stuff at Mather was shut down.

I'm p sure this means the Russians still have it listed as a target for a nuke strike.

Which is just great!

The Sacramento area would get pasted simply because there is a high enough population density to hit it. Most cities over 50k likely make the Russian targeting list because when you have over 7k good sized warheads then there is no reason to be stingy.

I live in the foothills currently, so I was hoping for some sort of protection from the Valley getting glassed, if that ever happened.

but now that there's a silo nearby, it would probably still be listed as a target, so yeah. So much for that.

You're fucked. Even if the blast doesn't touch you. Even if the radiation and the fallout doesn't get you then you need to keep in mind that you're in a moderately wooded area. Take a moment to imagine just how many wildfires would be started by all of the various blasts all around California.

mdbpjib6hys2.jpg

I'm sorry, let me give you some of the other follow on effects. Fallout will make it's way into the water supply. So you're gonna need to carefully filter all of your water. Any nuclear plant near you will contribute heavy metals to that nastiness. Then you have stuff like untreated sewage overflow that's gonna make lots of fun diseases spread. Basically the best possible individual outcome after a nuclear war is to be in the blast area and die close to instantly.
    Luckily, most radioactive particles do not dissolve in water and can be filtered out.

I love that it actually says "gravel/sand/charcoal"

The problem is what do you do with those buckets every month?

• Options

I think their is tax incentives on that 80 as well but am unsure.

it is pre-tax yes. i wonder how much less tax i'd pay if i subtracted $80 from my paycheck

• Options
    I could also do an FSA which is pre-tax too.

OR I COULD GO ALL IN AND HRA/FSA UP THE BHOLE

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

it's not $50k/yr

You probably pay $12 an hour if I had to guess.

But a lot of those numbers are only not numbers because of how many workers you have to offset it. But I bet "$12/hr" has a bit more to it than $25,000 a year on those spreadsheets. Like medical, that's expensive. You no longer have to pay the income taxes for your 50k a year worker, they never get hurt, or at least, they won't sue you if they do get hurt. I bet lawsuits aren't really a number in your spreadsheet either, it's just one of those costs that no one thinks about because it's not an actual dollar amount they can visualize at the end of the day.

It's the same reason my boss can't visualize the good place to spend money because the actual costs are sunk into things he's already paying so they're invisible on the expense accounts. The only thing it costs is employee time, which, may not be something one thinks about as a cost necessarily.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    The good news is that if Russia has a hold on the US presidency it's very unlikely that there will be global nuclear war! Probably!

China tho

India and Pakistan is always a possibility.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I don't particularly care to live in a transitional time period. I hope I go early in an uprising

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Why do unfunny vendors always try to make me laugh and also always call when I email asking for details they have to email?

@six is it a salesman or rep rule you have to call cause I just want an email. One guy yesterday called all three of my phones just to say he was emailing and then his email was slow

I said ok email me and hung up

It's probably some rule for inside sales. A real rep would just email you, but a real rep is also building a relationship with you. This guy wants you to agree to a meeting so he can move on.

Anyone who won't leave you alone doesn't know what they're doing or is pushing something where that doesn't matter.

@OnTheLastCastle

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

it's not $50k/yr

bennies don't add up? my work claims it spends $300-500 on our insurance monthly

$12/hr * 40 * 52 = 24960

our insurance is like $45/wk on average, so 45 * 52 = 2340

we don't offer other benefits

vacation is factored into 52 weeks of pay

even if people work 45 hours a week, it's still only 12*47.5*52+2340 = 31980

you could argue robots can work 24 hours, but we're not open and taking orders 24 hours a day and the work gets done by the end of the day every day, so there's no benefit to 24 hour robots

it's a viable solution for like amazon and walmart, but not for normal sized businesses

at least, not yet

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

Which is just great!

mdbpjib6hys2.jpg

Luckily during nuclear america, you won't have to go to work, so you have an extra 8 hours a day to figure that shit out.

• Options
    add in payroll taxes as well i suppose, maybe another $5k

but we're not approaching $50k/employee

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

There will be private roads and raceways that are the dalliances of the hobbyists and the wealthy where they can still drive.

The Sport of Driving will be much like the Sport of Horseback Riding.
    SniperGuy wrote: »

No, you can't drive as well as a robot. Go pay to drive on a track if you wanna drive. Everyone else will be in the cars 2 inches apart going 150 down the highway with crashes reduced to a tiny fraction of what they were.

I bet this is how second amendment people feel all the time about their freedoms

Probably. And it is a dumb feeling.

There will never be an America where they will be unable to shoot at the range or hunt, much like there will never be an America where you can't get your drive on (in very controlled situations).

But the idea of driving manually on a shared road will go way out of vogue in the coming decade. Probably illegal in the next two.

But my freedoms and my emotions

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

If you're gonna do an FSA just do the $2500 card option instead I think. Unless you definitely think you'll spend somewhere in the $1000 range only

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I look forward to watching the colony ships leave my old ass behind to die on this rock while they go terraform mars or that hidden 9th planet or whatever.

How cool is that EM drive if it actually works in space? So far their testing methodology has been validated and it worked in a test environment so it'd be really awesome if it works in space!

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I suspect we might be surprised by how quickly the Republicans would adopt a guaranteed income model and claim it's been their idea all along (which isn't even untrue, really), though it may not be the one we'd want

The real problem would be getting taxes to increase enough on the massive profits of companies that have cut labour costs and paid off the costs of their equipment to pay for a really decent guaranteed income.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

Which is just great!

mdbpjib6hys2.jpg

Luckily during nuclear america, you won't have to go to work, so you have an extra 8 hours a day to figure that shit out.

eh,

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Six wrote: »
    Why do unfunny vendors always try to make me laugh and also always call when I email asking for details they have to email?

@six is it a salesman or rep rule you have to call cause I just want an email. One guy yesterday called all three of my phones just to say he was emailing and then his email was slow

I said ok email me and hung up

It's probably some rule for inside sales. A real rep would just email you, but a real rep is also building a relationship with you. This guy wants you to agree to a meeting so he can move on.

Anyone who won't leave you alone doesn't know what they're doing or is pushing something where that doesn't matter.

@OnTheLastCastle

I have one vendor going so hard in the paint for our printer business but we have 25 months left on our 5 year lease. He claims he's done buyouts up to FOUR YEARS out... but every other company has told me 12-15 months is max.

I finally agreed to let him meet with me again. He's been bugging me nonstop for years, I swear to god.

I hate dealing with vendors. Luckily my company has no interest in purchasing really so I just do other things mostly!

• Options

Which is just great!

mdbpjib6hys2.jpg

I mean I guess I could put it on a pull behind trailer and take it out to the desert and just bury it once a quarter and put a red flag in it.

• Options

Which is just great!

mdbpjib6hys2.jpg

It generally means having that set up already and running. It's not going to be very common. And there are lots of other follow on effects that can still get you.

• Options

If you're gonna do an FSA just do the $2500 card option instead I think. Unless you definitely think you'll spend somewhere in the $1000 range only

now that i've given up on depression meds, i really don't have much in the way of health costs. i could maybe find my thing on a generic list from a pharmacy.

vision insurance and dental are separate and i'll opt for those.

This discussion has been closed.