Options

Completely unprepared for [chat]

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Just make robots to fix robots and also have a robot hr department and robot payroll.

• Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    add in payroll taxes as well i suppose, maybe another $5k

but we're not approaching $50k/employee

how much does it cost to train your employees?

do you keep training them? What about if they leave, do you train new workers?

What about insurance in case they break things or cost the company money?

What about heating/cooling your warehouse or toilet facilities, etc?

Those are things you absolutely do not have to think about with robot workers, but they are a a cost that is not salary.

robots are actually incredibly sensitive to temperature variation -- heating and cooling means parts with tight tolerances moving out of alignment

also you'd still want to carry insurance on them in case of fire, theft, earthquake etc

those sneaky robot thieves mirite

copper wire is copper wire

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'm assuming that 50k/yr/10yr cost was including maintenance/upkeep/etc.

Or was that just the "cost of plopping this down" sort of thing?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Senjutsu wrote: »

how much does it cost to train your employees?

do you keep training them? What about if they leave, do you train new workers?

What about insurance in case they break things or cost the company money?

What about heating/cooling your warehouse or toilet facilities, etc?

Those are things you absolutely do not have to think about with robot workers, but they are a a cost that is not salary.

robots are actually incredibly sensitive to temperature variation -- heating and cooling means parts with tight tolerances moving out of alignment

also you'd still want to carry insurance on them in case of fire, theft, earthquake etc

those sneaky robot thieves mirite

I've already got spray paint and gold chains

I'm going to rescue a robot from Chanus' warehouse and teach it how to be "swag" like in Chappie

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular

Is this how you categorize your insane TP spend?

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    also if Futurama taught us anything, it's that the robots are the thieves

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I'm assuming that 50k/yr/10yr cost was including maintenance/upkeep/etc.

my initial statement was (paraphrasing) "once they start getting below $500k per unit, you'll start seeing an effect"

i guess that could have been interpreted as plus maintenance but that's not what i was meaning to say

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    and you're all doing the thing where you line item every aspect of one side and only consider the initial purchase cost of the other side

robot employees require maintenance

in a dusty warehouse, probably constant maintenance

Dang, I have relevant experience here. We bought a waterjet table a couple years ago. It was $120k. It's incredible, you tell it piece shape, size, number, whatever, it cuts a 16x24 sheet of product into amazing designs. Push button, get cut pastries.

Until someone hits the USB port where you upload programs and snaps it off. Custom piece. $85. 3 days downtime.

Or one of the stepper motors goes bad. Also custom. $750. 4 days from Spain.

The water filter has to be replaced monthly. $60.

Someone dropped a stack of pans on one of the cutting surfaces, it's a removable metal frame with very thin blades crisscrossing. $600.

The nozzles for it are $40 apiece. They last about 10 hours.

At 1000 hours, the pump requires a full rebuild. $10,000 in parts and labor to have someone do that.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I DO use a lot of toilet paper.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Honk wrote: »
    My friend who works in a warehouse tipped and spilled a shipment of dialysis fluid. That was probably expensive for the company.

I wonder if it had any consequences at the hospitals. It's not impossible. They once thought that I was allergic to morphine and when I was in the hospital I got ketogan as a substitute, but then one truck had tipped which meant that they ran out of ketogan for several weeks and I got some third grade bullshit painkiller that didn't work instead.

AFAIK dialysis fluid is cheap, but, hospitals charge an arm and a leg for pretty much all aspects of a concentrate/dialyzer so they get paid fairly for treating patients. Like a bag of saline is maybe $5 a pop, but you'll get charged a few hundred for it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Why do unfunny vendors always try to make me laugh and also always call when I email asking for details they have to email?

@six is it a salesman or rep rule you have to call cause I just want an email. One guy yesterday called all three of my phones just to say he was emailing and then his email was slow

I said ok email me and hung up

It's probably some rule for inside sales. A real rep would just email you, but a real rep is also building a relationship with you. This guy wants you to agree to a meeting so he can move on.

Anyone who won't leave you alone doesn't know what they're doing or is pushing something where that doesn't matter.

@OnTheLastCastle

I have one vendor going so hard in the paint for our printer business but we have 25 months left on our 5 year lease. He claims he's done buyouts up to FOUR YEARS out... but every other company has told me 12-15 months is max.

I finally agreed to let him meet with me again. He's been bugging me nonstop for years, I swear to god.

I hate dealing with vendors. Luckily my company has no interest in purchasing really so I just do other things mostly!

Those kind of people don't sound super fun to deal with.

The ones that make it higher know what they;re doing and can be awesome. Or worse.

I would be an excellent salesman because I am
    #1 fun
    #2 get to the point, I use few words and don't babble
    #3 know my shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit or learn it
    #4 listen

hm maybe I should be an inside sales person after all. the devil doth tempt.

#4 should be #1 and also #2.

When I did sales a lot of what I did was more of a consultative role. Lots of listening, asking questions for clarification rather than assuming and so on. But I also only did very long sales cycle stuff. If my stuff closed in six months then I'd be worried things were rushed.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Chanus, robots may not make sense to replace employees in your particular shop right now.

But the shops where it does make sense are going to be positioned to price you out of business.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

we know what you eat

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    cars break down and people break down and other things break down too

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I mean for automation and the end of our work force where is @Donkey Kong to tell us we are all screwed?

Also Castle your health insurance is $9 bucks a month?

Jesus.

Mine is $120. And even the cheapo plan is like $80.

My deductible is $1200 though and my max oop is $2k. I hit that usually in the first two months thanks to Crohn's meds. And the rebate covers 90% of it.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    and you're all doing the thing where you line item every aspect of one side and only consider the initial purchase cost of the other side

Dang, I have relevant experience here. We bought a waterjet table a couple years ago. It was $120k. It's incredible, you tell it piece shape, size, number, whatever, it cuts a 16x24 sheet of product into amazing designs. Push button, get cut pastries.

Until someone hits the USB port where you upload programs and snaps it off. Custom piece. $85. 3 days downtime.

Someone dropped a stack of pans on one of the cutting surfaces, it's a removable metal frame with very thin blades crisscrossing. $600.

At 1000 hours, the pump requires a full rebuild. $10,000 in parts and labor to have someone do that.

Some of this is offset though. Like with Yeti coolers they can make like 10K of them before they have to replace the mold. They then crank out another 1K they sell as "blemished" models (that are 100% the same minus some surface imperfections) which offsets the cost of the new mold.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I'm stealing a sailboat with a water filter. That should be able to last me a while.

You haven't watched Fear The Walking Dead.

That plan will fail.

Why does it fail on the show? Is it because they don't know how to live on a boat? Because I know how to do that.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Jesus.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Houn wrote: »
    Chanus, robots may not make sense to replace employees in your particular shop right now.

But the shops where it does make sense are going to be positioned to price you out of business.

nah

it doesn't make sense in my entire industry because we aren't a 24 hour service

because the customers we serve are not open 24 hours

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

Oooo employee costing.

So we'll take the $12 an hour base.
    Then we have to add in fringe (benefits and taxes). About 30% for a US Company that only gives the minimal amount of fucks to keep employees.
    Then we have overhead, roughly 20%.
    Then we have G&A, roughly 7% for a manufacturing company.
    12*1.30*1.20*1.07
    Burdened labor rate is $20.03
    20.03*1944= ~39k per person.

drops the mic.

• Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Why do unfunny vendors always try to make me laugh and also always call when I email asking for details they have to email?

@six is it a salesman or rep rule you have to call cause I just want an email. One guy yesterday called all three of my phones just to say he was emailing and then his email was slow

I said ok email me and hung up

It's probably some rule for inside sales. A real rep would just email you, but a real rep is also building a relationship with you. This guy wants you to agree to a meeting so he can move on.

Anyone who won't leave you alone doesn't know what they're doing or is pushing something where that doesn't matter.

@OnTheLastCastle

I have one vendor going so hard in the paint for our printer business but we have 25 months left on our 5 year lease. He claims he's done buyouts up to FOUR YEARS out... but every other company has told me 12-15 months is max.

I finally agreed to let him meet with me again. He's been bugging me nonstop for years, I swear to god.

I hate dealing with vendors. Luckily my company has no interest in purchasing really so I just do other things mostly!

Those kind of people don't sound super fun to deal with.

The ones that make it higher know what they;re doing and can be awesome. Or worse.

I would be an excellent salesman because I am
    #1 fun
    #2 get to the point, I use few words and don't babble
    #3 know my shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit or learn it
    #4 listen

hm maybe I should be an inside sales person after all. the devil doth tempt.

#4 should be #1 and also #2.

When I did sales a lot of what I did was more of a consultative role. Lots of listening, asking questions for clarification rather than assuming and so on. But I also only did very long sales cycle stuff. If my stuff closed in six months then I'd be worried things were rushed.

This is what a good sales rep does and is pretty hard to do well among everything else they need to do. Managing a territory is basically running a subsidiary or franchise business.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

Jeez this is getting expensive

Are you sure I can't just pay someone else to run a sweatshop and handle all these expenses for me using underpaid labor overseas

• Options

sounds like you should fire the human workforce at your plant because it's costing you stupid amounts of money to fix their fuckups

• Options

nah

I don't know your vertical, but if no one is serving 24 hours, sounds like a market space ripe for expanding into.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »

Oooo employee costing.

Then we have to add in fringe (benefits and taxes). About 30% for a US Company that only gives the minimal amount of fucks to keep employees.
    12*1.30*1.20*1.07

drops the mic.

there i win

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Just make robots to fix robots and also have a robot hr department and robot payroll.

*rubs hands together frogramishly*

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    eeuughhh there are people in my shop very very very slowly wandering around and very loudly talking about reiki and crystal healing as "way better than the doctor" for this pregnant lady's baby which is like

HMMMMMMM

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    I'm stealing a sailboat with a water filter. That should be able to last me a while.

You haven't watched Fear The Walking Dead.

That plan will fail.

Why does it fail on the show? Is it because they don't know how to live on a boat? Because I know how to do that.

Because you can't just live off fish. You'll need other nutrients. You might be able to stick with bull kelp and seaweed but your sodium intake is going to skyrocket.

Which means if you want something besides fish and desalinated water you're going to have to make port somewhere, which is a risk.

Also radar and sonar isn't going to stop working, so anyone else with a boat is going to be able to find you. If it's just you, you're not going to be able to keep a solid watch.

You're in a confined space with limited firepower in the middle of the ocean.

Then, you have tropical storms, which aside from your instruments (which are hopefully solar powered) you won't be able to predict all that well.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

Oooo employee costing.

12*1.30*1.20*1.07

drops the mic.

there i win
    This is the internet. Did you really win?

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    "I talked to my OB and he didn't even KNOW about reiki. I almost didn't keep my next appointment..." (other woman nods sympathetically)

is this real life????

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

tough negotiation on promotion

I want a 10% raise, an extra week of vacay, AND the double quilted

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Basically what you are all saying is in the future we will all be:

0eu7kspzczb7.png

• Options

nah

yeah, that's the thing about lights out automation

it's not just that you can work 24 hours, it's often that you have to and it has to be economical to do so

the line start-up costs on some of this shit is steep

• Options
    "I talked to my OB and he didn't even KNOW about reiki. I almost didn't keep my next appointment..." (other woman nods sympathetically)

is this real life????

The answer is always "Yes".

• Options
    I'm not even exactly sure what you all were debating. It seems to be the specific cost within a relatively narrow range for a piece of machinery to be cost effective for replacing an employee.

But that can't be right.

That would be a ridiculous argument to have.

• Options
    Where's SKFM to come in and tell us we're all expendable and then fire us to increase a christmas bonus.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

is this real life????
    Is she giving birth to a golem?

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular

is this real life????

that poor child

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options

nah

I don't know your vertical, but if no one is serving 24 hours, sounds like a market space ripe for expanding into.

it isn't though

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    ugh

they have implemented a new employee development plan thing at work

i am now trying to come up with goals

what is this shit

919UOwT.png
This discussion has been closed.