Options

Completely unprepared for [chat]

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    add in payroll taxes as well i suppose, maybe another $5k

but we're not approaching $50k/employee

my total compensation (i.e. total cost to the company for my labor) is more than 50% what my pay is. that's not including liability insurance and other overhead stuff like that

this is probably less at a factory where I would expect fewer benefits, but still, probably 25-30% premium I think

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Six wrote: »
    Why do unfunny vendors always try to make me laugh and also always call when I email asking for details they have to email?

@six is it a salesman or rep rule you have to call cause I just want an email. One guy yesterday called all three of my phones just to say he was emailing and then his email was slow

I said ok email me and hung up

It's probably some rule for inside sales. A real rep would just email you, but a real rep is also building a relationship with you. This guy wants you to agree to a meeting so he can move on.

Anyone who won't leave you alone doesn't know what they're doing or is pushing something where that doesn't matter.

@OnTheLastCastle

I have one vendor going so hard in the paint for our printer business but we have 25 months left on our 5 year lease. He claims he's done buyouts up to FOUR YEARS out... but every other company has told me 12-15 months is max.

I finally agreed to let him meet with me again. He's been bugging me nonstop for years, I swear to god.

I hate dealing with vendors. Luckily my company has no interest in purchasing really so I just do other things mostly!

Those kind of people don't sound super fun to deal with.

The ones that make it higher know what they're doing and can be awesome. Or worse.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Yeah a lot of people don't realize that at amazon warehouses there are these little robot pallet jacks that just go and grab pallets and move them to and from places.

Like they've replaced people to do that.

That's only going to increase.

yeah when they start costing less than $500,000 a unit, goodbye warehouse employees

shit, if they just cost 500k/10yr combining maintenance and downtime, with no risk of workers compensation, they will be a steal.

warehouse employees don't cost $50k/yr here yet

I'd say you get them down in the $300k range and it'll be over though

yeah they do; benefits, overtime, only 1 shift a day, probably only 5-6 shifts a week, workers compensation, etc.

dude i work in an actual warehouse

i know how much workers here cost

it's not $50k/yr

workers compensation is hardly even a line item, people get hurt like once every couple years

You probably pay $12 an hour if I had to guess.

But a lot of those numbers are only not numbers because of how many workers you have to offset it. But I bet "$12/hr" has a bit more to it than $25,000 a year on those spreadsheets. Like medical, that's expensive. You no longer have to pay the income taxes for your 50k a year worker, they never get hurt, or at least, they won't sue you if they do get hurt. I bet lawsuits aren't really a number in your spreadsheet either, it's just one of those costs that no one thinks about because it's not an actual dollar amount they can visualize at the end of the day.

It's the same reason my boss can't visualize the good place to spend money because the actual costs are sunk into things he's already paying so they're invisible on the expense accounts. The only thing it costs is employee time, which, may not be something one thinks about as a cost necessarily.

it doesn't happen often enough to think about

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

how much does it cost to train your employees?

do you keep training them? What about if they leave, do you train new workers?

What about insurance in case they break things or cost the company money?

What about heating/cooling your warehouse or toilet facilities, etc?

Those are things you absolutely do not have to think about with robot workers, but they are a a cost that is not salary.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

my total compensation (i.e. total cost to the company for my labor) is more than 50% what my pay is. that's not including liability insurance and other overhead stuff like that

this is probably less at a factory where I would expect fewer benefits, but still, probably 25-30% premium I think

yeah warehouses don't tend to have amazing benefits packages

• Options
    Yeah a lot of people don't realize that at amazon warehouses there are these little robot pallet jacks that just go and grab pallets and move them to and from places.

yeah when they start costing less than $500,000 a unit, goodbye warehouse employees

shit, if they just cost 500k/10yr combining maintenance and downtime, with no risk of workers compensation, they will be a steal.

yeah they do; benefits, overtime, only 1 shift a day, probably only 5-6 shifts a week, workers compensation, etc.

it's not $50k/yr

workers compensation is hardly even a line item, people get hurt like once every couple years

bennies don't add up? my work claims it spends $300-500 on our insurance monthly

$12/hr * 40 * 52 = 24960

our insurance is like $45/wk on average, so 45 * 52 = 2340

we don't offer other benefits

vacation is factored into 52 weeks of pay

even if people work 45 hours a week, it's still only 12*47.5*52+2340 = 31980

you could argue robots can work 24 hours, but we're not open and taking orders 24 hours a day and the work gets done by the end of the day every day, so there's no benefit to 24 hour robots

it's a viable solution for like amazon and walmart, but not for normal sized businesses

at least, not yet

how do you have workers at 40 hours a week with no health insurance

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Why do unfunny vendors always try to make me laugh and also always call when I email asking for details they have to email?

@six is it a salesman or rep rule you have to call cause I just want an email. One guy yesterday called all three of my phones just to say he was emailing and then his email was slow

It's probably some rule for inside sales. A real rep would just email you, but a real rep is also building a relationship with you. This guy wants you to agree to a meeting so he can move on.

Anyone who won't leave you alone doesn't know what they're doing or is pushing something where that doesn't matter.

@OnTheLastCastle

I have one vendor going so hard in the paint for our printer business but we have 25 months left on our 5 year lease. He claims he's done buyouts up to FOUR YEARS out... but every other company has told me 12-15 months is max.

I finally agreed to let him meet with me again. He's been bugging me nonstop for years, I swear to god.

I hate dealing with vendors. Luckily my company has no interest in purchasing really so I just do other things mostly!

The ones that make it higher know what they;re doing and can be awesome. Or worse.

I would be an excellent salesman because I am
    #1 fun
    #2 get to the point, I use few words and don't babble
    #3 know my shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit or learn it
    #4 listen

hm maybe I should be an inside sales person after all. the devil doth tempt.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Shit even my job is going to be obsolete in a decade.

I mean a robot can change hard drives and rack servers and run cable and powershell scrips can pretty much do what I do now without me being here.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    But sales is almost always morally wrong

• Options

@OnTheLastCastle

The ones that make it higher know what they;re doing and can be awesome. Or worse.

#1 fun
    #4 listen

#4 should be #1 and also #2.

• Options

Those are things you absolutely do not have to think about with robot workers, but they are a a cost that is not salary.

you guys act like this isn't literally part of what i do

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Our current interstate system is not designed to handle 150mph traffic.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Basically if you live in California and you hear of a bomb going off but it's far enough away that it doesn't kill you your only option is to get the fuck out of California.

Yeah, that's not really limited to California. And places where that isn't an issue often have other things that make surviving there harder. Imagine how many people outside of Phoenix will die if there is no longer power to their AC and water delivery ends.

nuclear winter means you might actually want to be that far south

and have super insulated everything besides

• Options

it's not $50k/yr

bennies don't add up? my work claims it spends $300-500 on our insurance monthly

$12/hr * 40 * 52 = 24960

you could argue robots can work 24 hours, but we're not open and taking orders 24 hours a day and the work gets done by the end of the day every day, so there's no benefit to 24 hour robots

it's a viable solution for like amazon and walmart, but not for normal sized businesses

at least, not yet

i don't, that's in there where i said "our insurance"

• Options
    anyway i'm not saying this is impossible or anything like that

i'm simply rebutting the claim that replacing an employee for $50k/yr is a steal

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm stealing a sailboat with a water filter. That should be able to last me a while.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    and you're all doing the thing where you line item every aspect of one side and only consider the initial purchase cost of the other side

robot employees require maintenance

in a dusty warehouse, probably constant maintenance

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Delta has been playing around with using RFID for baggage handling. And they are claiming to get lost bag issues down to almost zero.

Baggage handlers are the best argument for automating every job possible

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

six is it a salesman or rep rule you have to call cause I just want an email. One guy yesterday called all three of my phones just to say he was emailing and then his email was slow

OnTheLastCastle

#1 fun
    #4 listen

i was make clever joke to myself

• Options
    a

it's not $50k/yr

$12/hr * 40 * 52 = 24960

at least, not yet

oh I thought that was liability

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    anyway i'm not saying this is impossible or anything like that

i'm simply rebutting the claim that replacing an employee for $50k/yr is a steal

fair enough.

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I'm stealing a sailboat with a water filter. That should be able to last me a while.

You haven't watched Fear The Walking Dead.

That plan will fail.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    But sales is almost always morally wrong

I mean it doesn't have to be. I worked at best buy and would gladly recommend cheap chrome books and such to people instead of expensive macbooks or tablets or whatever when all they wanted was web surfing.

Ideally sales is figuring out the best product to fit a person's needs when they aren't sure what products are available. The people who want to sell the 80 year old woman a MacBook when she literally only uses Facebook are pretty terrible though.

• Options
    a

it's not $50k/yr

$12/hr * 40 * 52 = 24960

at least, not yet

oh I thought that was liability

you are

• Options

six is it a salesman or rep rule you have to call cause I just want an email. One guy yesterday called all three of my phones just to say he was emailing and then his email was slow

OnTheLastCastle

#1 fun
    #4 listen

i was make clever joke to myself

That's what I was doing too

hi5

• Options
    heh, your insurance is an order of magnitude less than my family plan

• Options

It wasn't part of your calculations, though.

I'm not acting like it's not part of what you do, just that managers and executives completely brainfart around this stuff sometimes because it's not a number on a balance sheet, it's not part of payrolls, but it's a cost to having a human workforce.

You probably, as a manager of warehouse workers, do not think about liability or toiletries, but it's a huge cost. Think of how much toilet paper people like AH go through when they eat gas station food. Now imagine that's the entirety of your workforce doing that because they don't have good health insurance and have shitty pay and benefits.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Why?

• Options

Not with that attitude

• Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular

robots are actually incredibly sensitive to temperature variation -- heating and cooling means parts with tight tolerances moving out of alignment

also you'd still want to carry insurance on them in case of fire, theft, earthquake etc

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

it's not $50k/yr

$12/hr * 40 * 52 = 24960

at least, not yet

Errr, the robots can run lights out. Unless you pack every order that comes in that business day they'll have shit to do overnight when you don't have anybody there. That sort of running is automation's bread and butter and a huge way it justifies it's capital costs.

If you have like a really hard peak flow that doesn't leave any backlog I can see humans being more scalable, though you've got to get those part time workers who are happy with 4 hour shifts or whatever.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

It wasn't part of your calculations, though.

I'm not acting like it's not part of what you do, just that managers and executives completely brainfart around this stuff sometimes because it's not a number on a balance sheet, it's not part of payrolls, but it's a cost to having a human workforce.

You probably, as a manager of warehouse workers, do not think about liability or toiletries, but it's a huge cost. Think of how much toilet paper people like AH go through when they eat gas station food. Now imagine that's the entirety of your workforce doing that because they don't have good health insurance and have shitty pay and benefits.

dude some of these guys don't even flush much less wipe

• Options
    and you're all doing the thing where you line item every aspect of one side and only consider the initial purchase cost of the other side

robot employees require maintenance

in a dusty warehouse, probably constant maintenance

um get a Roomba for the dust and a maintenance robot duh

• Options

Well maybe if you weren't so keen on family planning being "have sex and lots of kids" it would be cheaper Shark!

Did you ever think of that!?

When you were doing it?

DID YOU!?

• Options
    I'm just interested in the discussion chanus so let's list out the costs of each side so I don't have to work OK

• Options

family plans are insane

even spousal insurance is insane

though mostly because your employer only covers the 50% of your benefit and not the rest of your family's

• Options
    Senjutsu wrote: »

robots are actually incredibly sensitive to temperature variation -- heating and cooling means parts with tight tolerances moving out of alignment

also you'd still want to carry insurance on them in case of fire, theft, earthquake etc

those sneaky robot thieves mirite

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

Listen, chanus

First imagine a warehouse

It's a big high-ceilinged building with shelves of products and wrapped pallets everywhere, okay

• Options

Well maybe if you weren't so keen on family planning being "have sex and lots of kids" it would be cheaper Shark!

Did you ever think of that!?

When you were doing it?

DID YOU!?

I can state with 100% confidence that I did not think about that while doing it

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    My friend who works in a warehouse tipped and spilled a shipment of dialysis fluid. That was probably expensive for the company.

I wonder if it had any consequences at the hospitals. It's not impossible. They once thought that I was allergic to morphine and when I was in the hospital I got ketogan as a substitute, but then one truck had tipped which meant that they ran out of ketogan for several weeks and I got some third grade bullshit painkiller that didn't work instead.

PSN: Honkalot
This discussion has been closed.