Options

apologies in advance [chat]

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    what the fuck is this shit

Which shit?

There are currently several flavors to choose from.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    help him do research about Popeye and Betty Boop for something he's writing

"No, I'm not going to help you write your shipping fanfic."

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Ludious wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    It's so fucking weird that somehow medical doctors get colloquially called "doctors" despite that being the less specific part of the title

It's worth it when you get to cause a scene on a plane though

"Oh you want a medical doctor. You should have said. No, he is probably dead now"

This is why I want my doctorate

"Is there a doctor on board?"

"Oh yes, I am a doctor!"

"Help this man! He's having a heart attack!"

"Oh um. Well I can tell you that while he's still conscious he can sign this form to donate his brain to my lab."

That's why you're not getting into the colony. This shit right here.

It's not like I'm going to take his brain if he lives, or this will decrease his chance of living!

I'm just saying, IF he happens to die then he can still do some good!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    But that wasn't the question they were being asked. It was specifically, how do they as filmmakers avoid it. They're doing exactly what people want by being more ethnically and culturally sensitive and explaining how they got to that point, and getting shit on for it.

do they want a gold star or what?

you're supposed to do that shit because its the right thing to do, not so people will fellate you about how great you are at presenting not-completely-racist material

also, that doesn't at all address the fundamental point about how myopic it is to have that discussion without anyone who isn't a greying white guy present

I guess for me it depends on what the point of that interview is.

If it's just a general question of how they, as show runners, work to ensure that minorities and other cultural groups are represented well, then it's fine to have them as they are show runners.

Of course the answer would be hire a talented and diverse cast and crew (and listen to them), so it'll be a really short panel.

clint eastwood, as terrible an example of a person as he can be at his worst, is actually really good at this thing

and then he doesn't go off and hot dog about what a not-racist he is afterwards, because expecting a big pat on the back afterward kind of defeats the point

It did not seem like they were trying to come off as self congratulatory or superior, and looking for the worst in people because they're privileged and talk about something adjacent to minority issues is a good way to make allies go "well fuck you, too!"

good for them

the door's right over there if they prefer the neo Nazi clubhouse

I'm fed up with 'allies' who are only here for the sake of glamor & convenience, because it turns out they'll ditch you the moment the going gets tough

.. what

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I was right first time. It was xzibit

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=38ZDGm7IjyY

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    It's so fucking weird that somehow medical doctors get colloquially called "doctors" despite that being the less specific part of the title

"Oh you want a medical doctor. You should have said. No, he is probably dead now"

"Oh yes, I am a doctor!"

"Oh um. Well I can tell you that while he's still conscious he can sign this form to donate his brain to my lab."

I want to write a proposal about automatic recognition of human casualty poses so they can be treated by robot drone doctors! That is un-evil; can I get back in?

...although I don't have the most solid idea for one specific part of the problem, so I probably won't write it up unless a colleague decides to help me there...

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Feral I worked at my university's help desk and helped do AD password resets and install it on machines, as well as helping with a rollover to a more google focused system. Obviously not an expert or even really that experienced with it. I've done a lot of troubleshooting and geek squad work as a repair person in the back. Some sort of "manage the IT stuff for a site" job would be nice, especially as pertains to schools if applicable. I hear networking is a good way to start down that path but I don't know it very well either, other than hating troubleshooting my parents' network and installing dd-wrt on my own router.

@SniperGuy

Okay! Got it.

First off, Active Directory really does benefit from a basic understanding of TCP/IP networks. A lot of Active Directory "problems" are actually networking problems - like a client can't reach a DNS server, for instance. That doesn't mean you need to be able to configure a Cisco router from scratch or anything, but you should be able to talk about subnets and traceroute intelligently.

I'm not going to recommend any specific books, but look into books geared towards the following certification tests, in the following order:

CompTIA Network+
    (Optional) Microsoft 740: Installation of Windows Server 2016
    Microsoft 741: Networking with Windows Server 2016
    Microsoft 742: Identity with Windows Server 2016

Regarding Microsoft 740: study this if you want to get your MCSA. The 740 covers how to install Windows Server, which isn't that different from installing Windows 10. It also deals with SANs and Windows Containers which are outside the scope of what you want to learn about.

I'm a huge proponent of hands-on work. Some more questions related to setting up a test lab:

1) Do you have a decent computer: say, Core i3 or i5, 16 Gb RAM or more, 1 TB or more free storage space?
    2) Do you have a second computer that you can dedicate to self-education and fucking around?
    3) Do you have access to any spare equipment? Even a small switch or spare DD-WRT router?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Ilpala wrote: »
    I forgot how rough those Pence comics were.

Oh, honestly they seem pretty good to me, for what they are! Student comics are generally utter garbage, and at least those ones have a distinct style and recognizable punchlines that are very mildly amusing.

The hospital one was by far the best of the lot.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    those mike pence comics seem pretty normal for the level of comics in university newspapers

i don't understand what is so fascinating about them

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

"Oh yes, I am a doctor!"

I want to write a proposal about automatic recognition of human casualty poses so they can be treated by robot drone doctors! That is un-evil; can I get back in?

...although I don't have the most solid idea for one specific part of the problem, so I probably won't write it up unless a colleague decides to help me there...

omg this sounds awesome

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Shit. I just realized that if I ever run for office, someone is going to dredge up my old comics. I'd have to concede the race in disgrace.

Man, I've been on the internet since the late 90s. I'm completely unqualified for public office.

Houn for President 2020

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Shit. I just realized that if I ever run for office, someone is going to dredge up my old comics. I'd have to concede the race in disgrace.

Man, I've been on the internet since the late 90s. I'm completely unqualified for public office.

Houn for President 2020
    Oh yeah. We're in a post-truth society now. *sighs heavily*

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    help him do research about Popeye and Betty Boop for something he's writing

"No, I'm not going to help you write your shipping fanfic."

I will absolutely help him write his shipping fanfic if he teaches me about animation history in exchange

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options

Houn for President 2020

Most of the worst of what I've posted would let me at worst run as a GOP candidate.

So I've got that going for me.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    PhD comics is generally not funny; this one, while also not funny, captures the main problem I had with grad school.
    phd121216s.gif
    Heh. I once made some comic strips that was basically "Dilbert, but with med students" (which is basically what this comic is, but for PhD students). It was horrible, and I wish I could bury it forever in the vault where they have the Ark of the Covenant, never to be seen again.

man you guys are literally mike pence

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2016/08/25/here-are-the-cartoons-mike-pence-drew-while-in-law-school/?utm_term=.de26c3bc4862
    I also grew up in Indiana.

Man, there's really nothing to do in Indiana but draw shitty comic strips and be raging Christian fundamentalists, is there?

I guess GenCon is there every year. They almost fucked that up, too.

Something tells me GenCon isn't Mike Pence's cup of tea.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Here's a short interview with some of the Kiwis involved in Moana.

Ignore the headline, it's click-baity

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11766195

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    those mike pence comics seem pretty normal for the level of comics in university newspapers

i don't understand what is so fascinating about them

It's kinda like a teaser trailer for the future, when all potential leaders have their dirty social media laundry aired out for all to see.

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    @skippydumptruck

https://theawl.com/i-dont-read-the-news-anymore-and-it-s-great-aab6d78b1e85#.e85gaf6vs

also why i feel like a balance is important again

the balance of informed and sane and ignorant is tough of course

@TL DR

poo
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    But that wasn't the question they were being asked. It was specifically, how do they as filmmakers avoid it. They're doing exactly what people want by being more ethnically and culturally sensitive and explaining how they got to that point, and getting shit on for it.

do they want a gold star or what?

you're supposed to do that shit because its the right thing to do, not so people will fellate you about how great you are at presenting not-completely-racist material

also, that doesn't at all address the fundamental point about how myopic it is to have that discussion without anyone who isn't a greying white guy present

I guess for me it depends on what the point of that interview is.

If it's just a general question of how they, as show runners, work to ensure that minorities and other cultural groups are represented well, then it's fine to have them as they are show runners.

Of course the answer would be hire a talented and diverse cast and crew (and listen to them), so it'll be a really short panel.

clint eastwood, as terrible an example of a person as he can be at his worst, is actually really good at this thing

and then he doesn't go off and hot dog about what a not-racist he is afterwards, because expecting a big pat on the back afterward kind of defeats the point

It did not seem like they were trying to come off as self congratulatory or superior, and looking for the worst in people because they're privileged and talk about something adjacent to minority issues is a good way to make allies go "well fuck you, too!"

good for them

the door's right over there if they prefer the neo Nazi clubhouse

I'm fed up with 'allies' who are only here for the sake of glamor & convenience, because it turns out they'll ditch you the moment the going gets tough

My point was that your immediate assumption of bad faith because they are white is not helpful.

Replying by assuming they're acting in bad faith kind of proves that.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    my coworkers are supposed to be leaving for the holiday party
    clear out you lot

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Houn for President 2020

Most of the worst of what I've posted would let me at worst run as a GOP candidate.

It may surprise you to find out that I was kind of an asshole in my youth.

In my youth, yes.

>.>

• Options
    edited December 2016
    So the song establishes that Santa:

-Sees you when you're sleeping
    -Knows when you're awake
    -Knows when you've been bad or good

There's no mention of him monitoring you while awake, where you actually perform nice or naughty acts. Therefore we are forced to assume he just knows if you've been bad or good. He also simply knows when you're awake, so he also knows when you're asleep. Conclusion?

Santa watches you sleep because he likes to.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    If I also put together the totally legit independent study with Dillon and Thom I will literally only have 1 class I have to attend next semester holy shit

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    I would really appreciate it if 2016 would tap out

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

"Oh yes, I am a doctor!"

omg this sounds awesome

I knowwwwwww

and there's already a solution from google out there on github for a chunk of the problem (that comes up on a cursory search, so all competitors will know about it as well...)

But yeah this one I singled out based on pure coolness because it's like a vision of the future. I need to figure out if my workbro is down for it though. There's a different project he wants to do because the possible phase III involves integration with "giant lasers", which, yeah, also cool.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

2016 disproves this.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    i like 2016. 2016 is a good year

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    the company good year is named after 2016

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

Houn for President 2020

It may surprise you to find out that I was kind of an asshole in my youth.

In my youth, yes.

>.>

eh

kids and teens have a hard time acting like adults because they're not adults

no big

forgive and forget you seem pretty likable now bro

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    You guys can get in the colony when you agree to lobotomies

• Options

"Oh yes, I am a doctor!"

omg this sounds awesome

I knowwwwwww

and there's already a solution from google out there on github for a chunk of the problem (that comes up on a cursory search, so all competitors will know about it as well...)

But yeah this one I singled out based on pure coolness because it's like a vision of the future. I need to figure out if my workbro is down for it though. There's a different project he wants to do because the possible phase III involves integration with "giant lasers", which, yeah, also cool.

Hmm

Build a robot to finish my PhD and hire me right now

• Options
    I need to start keeping track of everyone's political opinions in a spreadsheet so I know what's off limits at this point.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Feral I worked at my university's help desk and helped do AD password resets and install it on machines, as well as helping with a rollover to a more google focused system. Obviously not an expert or even really that experienced with it. I've done a lot of troubleshooting and geek squad work as a repair person in the back. Some sort of "manage the IT stuff for a site" job would be nice, especially as pertains to schools if applicable. I hear networking is a good way to start down that path but I don't know it very well either, other than hating troubleshooting my parents' network and installing dd-wrt on my own router.

@SniperGuy

Okay! Got it.

First off, Active Directory really does benefit from a basic understanding of TCP/IP networks. A lot of Active Directory "problems" are actually networking problems - like a client can't reach a DNS server, for instance. That doesn't mean you need to be able to configure a Cisco router from scratch or anything, but you should be able to talk about subnets and traceroute intelligently.

I'm not going to recommend any specific books, but look into books geared towards the following certification tests, in the following order:

CompTIA Network+
    (Optional) Microsoft 740: Installation of Windows Server 2016
    Microsoft 741: Networking with Windows Server 2016
    Microsoft 742: Identity with Windows Server 2016

Regarding Microsoft 740: study this if you want to get your MCSA. The 740 covers how to install Windows Server, which isn't that different from installing Windows 10. It also deals with SANs and Windows Containers which are outside the scope of what you want to learn about.

I'm a huge proponent of hands-on work. Some more questions related to setting up a test lab:

1) Do you have a decent computer: say, Core i3 or i5, 16 Gb RAM or more, 1 TB or more free storage space?
    2) Do you have a second computer that you can dedicate to self-education and fucking around?
    3) Do you have access to any spare equipment? Even a small switch or spare DD-WRT router?

My personal PC is very good, i7 4770k, 16gb of ram, an SSD and two TB hard drives. Though maybe not 1 TB free at the moment.

I have most of a second computer built I should finish up, (needs a PSU and a hard drive I think) plus as a teacher I have an entire computer lab I can work on that I have admin rights on. I'm not sure if I have a spare router, the one with dd-wrt that I have is being used, but I can free it up for a time if I need. And thank you! I will look into some books related to those subjects.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Spectral seems more boring than it should be

I recognise the lead actors but can't remember from what. So that probably means The Wire

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

lol you are nega-jake and real jake is dead under your basement isn't he

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    I would really appreciate it if 2016 would tap out

Even numbered years suck

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I'm kinda over the 2016 hate. Oh it sucks. Feel free to say how much. 2017 is gonna make this look like a blowjob factory.

• Options
    You guys can get in the colony when you agree to lobotomies

Wat

How is it you're the one suggesting horrifical neuro-mutilation

• Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »

lol you are nega-jake and real jake is dead under your basement isn't he

life is good and nothing sucks

C8Ft8GE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.