As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

City [chat]

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    spool32 wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Is their a difference between emotional cheating and your partner having a complicated part of their emotional life that's separate from you?

i guess the definition is kind of fluid. some people say like, anything that, if your partner knew about it, would make them uncomfortable. but some people are incredibly sensitive and jealous and would regard any conversation in private with the opposite sex as inappropriate. i think that's kind of silly. something i heard that i thought was a pretty reasonable definition is if your behavior with another person draws away from your behavior with your partner. so like, if you don't feel sexy- you think your partner doesn't communicate desire to you or whatever- so you get that effect from someone else, by flirting.

i guess that doesn't exactly gel with polyamory but for monogamous relationships it seems p close to me. if you're not contributing all the thoughts and actions you would in a happy relationship because you're siphoning off some of that validation or closeness or whatever to another person, that seems p bad.

i think trying to define cheating so empirically isn't really going to work as it really depends on the sort of implied relationship agreement between two (or more) individuals

right, like i said it's very fluid. all anyone can attempt to do is make a best-fit guess at it for most people.

I disagree utterly. It's not fluid - here's Scalzi on this issue, and he is correct:
    Scenario: You’ve just done something physically and/or emotionally intimate with another consenting adult human being who is not your spouse/partner.

So, gonna tell your partner?

a) Yes.

b) Any other response.

If the answer is “b,” then there’s a really excellent chance you’re cheating.

of course it's fluid, because people are different. some people have a different threshold for what would bother them. you're seeking a definition that would fit everyone, which is preposterous. if you want it to be inclusive, you'd have to stretch the language to say 'assuming your partner regards all acts of physical and emotional intimacy with others to be troubling'. many do not.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    in general, a person does have to exercise a series of judgment calls on which of their friends, loved ones, family members etc. they choose to confide into emotionally not just in terms of trust

in terms of that person's capability to not only directly empathize with your situation, but also in terms of that person's positive or negative experiences (or lack thereof) with whatever your situation is causing some kind of resentment or other serious misalignment of how they perceive you and your relationship with them

to some extent, this can be a "don't moan about your privileged problems to people who have it shittier than you, you insensitive prat"

but it can also go the other way, divulging to someone you trust about an issue you're grappling with that is completely outside their spectrum of experience in a way they find foreign, upsetting, un-envious, and not something they understand how to comfort someone over because they don't think like... that should be something that happens to a person they are friends with

it can actually be remarkably alienating to have a lot of really close friends who trust you with a lot of their intimate details and secrets and come to you for emotional support, and you can't really lean on them the same way because the problems you are facing are not only outside their experience, but could actually damage your friendship if you tried to explain

i have had periods of oversharing and not-sharing-at-all but generally speaking i talk about my problems and worries a lot. in spats, i cut down on it on the forums because i don't want to stew in it too publicly. i also don't want to clog up what are otherwise fairly lighthearted venues.

but throughout, whether or not i successfully limit my public grousing, i do talk to my friends about it through gchat or whatever. and i know they are my friends and will accept it, if i can't make myself stop vomiting my existential horror. but i very much feel like an imposition and yes, i very much feel weird because many of those problems are completely alien to the person. stuff about class or mental illness or several other things that are like, i appreciate you listening. i know you don't really understand, which isn't your fault but i regret this gap between us and yet i can't stop. aloneness is v scary.

it's a tricky thing

i try to strike a balance with the jokey-jokes so i don't come off as maudlin and exhausting to endure

this is harder to do at this point as i am battling suicidal depression on a daily basis so y'know

i'm restrictive with what i share publicly, and choosy with when and how i share privately, and ultimately i tend to vary between screwing it up in one way or the other balance wise

so, you do what you can

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Is their a difference between emotional cheating and your partner having a complicated part of their emotional life that's separate from you?

i guess the definition is kind of fluid. some people say like, anything that, if your partner knew about it, would make them uncomfortable. but some people are incredibly sensitive and jealous and would regard any conversation in private with the opposite sex as inappropriate. i think that's kind of silly. something i heard that i thought was a pretty reasonable definition is if your behavior with another person draws away from your behavior with your partner. so like, if you don't feel sexy- you think your partner doesn't communicate desire to you or whatever- so you get that effect from someone else, by flirting.

i guess that doesn't exactly gel with polyamory but for monogamous relationships it seems p close to me. if you're not contributing all the thoughts and actions you would in a happy relationship because you're siphoning off some of that validation or closeness or whatever to another person, that seems p bad.

i think trying to define cheating so empirically isn't really going to work as it really depends on the sort of implied relationship agreement between two (or more) individuals

right, like i said it's very fluid. all anyone can attempt to do is make a best-fit guess at it for most people.

I disagree utterly. It's not fluid - here's Scalzi on this issue, and he is correct:
    Scenario: You’ve just done something physically and/or emotionally intimate with another consenting adult human being who is not your spouse/partner.

a) Yes.

b) Any other response.

could be a and you were still cheating though

or b and you weren't

or you and your partner could not 100% agree on what counts as physically or emotionally intimate

it's fraught with peril!

If it's cheating to your partner then it is cheating.(assuming you knew)

If you can't come to a consensus on that then that's not a working relationship.

true but like

that it is fluid is why there will not necessarily always be consensus?

if there's not consensus it's not because it's fluid it's because there has been poor communication or communication was ignored.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    I've never had sex

I'll take questions about whether I can relate to any of your "emotions" or "relationships"

why haven't you smurged anyone

I don't think there's a way to answer this?

I've never been in a relationship

you dont have to be in a relationship to smang

oh I guess it must be some other personal issue then

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

a) Yes.

b) Any other response.

or b and you weren't

or you and your partner could not 100% agree on what counts as physically or emotionally intimate

it's fraught with peril!

he goes on:
    Cheating is allowing another person into a level of intimacy your partner expects to be theirs alone. That level of intimacy is not uniform from person to person. There is no guarantee that your partner’s expected level of intimacy will be entirely congenial to you; in that respect what qualifies as “cheating” is not up to you.

Most people get that. Most people also don’t want to hurt their partner and/or don’t want to get caught doing something they know their partner will consider cheating. Which is why any other response than an unqualified “yes” to telling your partner about an intimate encounter with another consenting adult human being is a good first indicator you’ve just done yourself some cheating.

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2011/06/08/how-to-know-if-youre-cheating/

okay so yeah i agree to that but it almost literally defines it as fluid

within the boundaries of the relationship, I don't see any fluidity here at all.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

a) Yes.

b) Any other response.

or b and you weren't

it's fraught with peril!

If you can't come to a consensus on that then that's not a working relationship.

true but like

if there's not consensus it's not because it's fluid it's because there has been poor communication or communication was ignored.

because people have different ideas of what constitutes fidelity

you can come to an agreement based on whose definition is more static to them

but there is disagreement because it is a fluid concept in the first place

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I've never had sex

I'll take questions about whether I can relate to any of your "emotions" or "relationships"

I guess I find that harder to relate to because I was so desperate to find a sex person when I realized my sexuality and I tried for years

And then I realized I wanted to a relationship more

But then I realized people don't want or need it as bad or have a whole bungh of reasons I've never even thought of not to

Idk

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

a) Yes.

b) Any other response.

or b and you weren't

it's fraught with peril!

true but like

because people have different ideas of what constitutes fidelity

you can come to an agreement based on whose definition is more static to them

but there is disagreement because it is a fluid concept in the first place

yes, there is fluidity in what the populous as a whole considers fidelity, there is not fluidity in what a couple in a relationship consider fidelity. You're either cheating or you aren't.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

a) Yes.

b) Any other response.

or b and you weren't

it's fraught with peril!

he goes on:
    Cheating is allowing another person into a level of intimacy your partner expects to be theirs alone. That level of intimacy is not uniform from person to person. There is no guarantee that your partner’s expected level of intimacy will be entirely congenial to you; in that respect what qualifies as “cheating” is not up to you.

Most people get that. Most people also don’t want to hurt their partner and/or don’t want to get caught doing something they know their partner will consider cheating. Which is why any other response than an unqualified “yes” to telling your partner about an intimate encounter with another consenting adult human being is a good first indicator you’ve just done yourself some cheating.

within the boundaries of the relationship, I don't see any fluidity here at all.

i think we're talking about two different things

if you and i agree that "this is what we'll consider cheating", then yeah, that is not fluid

but that we have to come to an agreement means it is by definition fluid as a concept

also these agreements are much more likely to be implied or not communicated until it becomes a problem for the other person

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    SIG

Get new cats, eat those cats in front of them to display dominance

Easy Peasy

• Options
    in general, a person does have to exercise a series of judgment calls on which of their friends, loved ones, family members etc. they choose to confide into emotionally not just in terms of trust

in terms of that person's capability to not only directly empathize with your situation, but also in terms of that person's positive or negative experiences (or lack thereof) with whatever your situation is causing some kind of resentment or other serious misalignment of how they perceive you and your relationship with them

to some extent, this can be a "don't moan about your privileged problems to people who have it shittier than you, you insensitive prat"

but it can also go the other way, divulging to someone you trust about an issue you're grappling with that is completely outside their spectrum of experience in a way they find foreign, upsetting, un-envious, and not something they understand how to comfort someone over because they don't think like... that should be something that happens to a person they are friends with

it can actually be remarkably alienating to have a lot of really close friends who trust you with a lot of their intimate details and secrets and come to you for emotional support, and you can't really lean on them the same way because the problems you are facing are not only outside their experience, but could actually damage your friendship if you tried to explain

i have had periods of oversharing and not-sharing-at-all but generally speaking i talk about my problems and worries a lot. in spats, i cut down on it on the forums because i don't want to stew in it too publicly. i also don't want to clog up what are otherwise fairly lighthearted venues.

but throughout, whether or not i successfully limit my public grousing, i do talk to my friends about it through gchat or whatever. and i know they are my friends and will accept it, if i can't make myself stop vomiting my existential horror. but i very much feel like an imposition and yes, i very much feel weird because many of those problems are completely alien to the person. stuff about class or mental illness or several other things that are like, i appreciate you listening. i know you don't really understand, which isn't your fault but i regret this gap between us and yet i can't stop. aloneness is v scary.

it's a tricky thing

i try to strike a balance with the jokey-jokes so i don't come off as maudlin and exhausting to endure

this is harder to do at this point as i am battling suicidal depression on a daily basis so y'know

i'm restrictive with what i share publicly, and choosy with when and how i share privately, and ultimately i tend to vary between screwing it up in one way or the other balance wise

so, you do what you can

i basically have to lie. even people who know about my problems will ask, how're you today? and i go, oh, not a good day so far but i am trooping on. and either they try to sincerely investigate- and i have to explain that sorry, just like yesterday it's not because i stubbed my toe or it's the anniversary of a death. sometimes i just can't feel good. and others will remark almost with exasperation like, again? why are you sad again? the people who get it and don't make small talk into waterboarding are a blessing.

• Options
    I've never had sex

I guess I find that harder to relate to because I was so desperate to find a sex person when I realized my sexuality and I tried for years

And then I realized I wanted to a relationship more

But then I realized people don't want or need it as bad or have a whole bungh of reasons I've never even thought of not to

Idk

yeah I feel like it'd be great but I've literally nveer dated or tried to date anyone and am not the type to I guess try to hook up for a night or something. it would never occur to me and if I wanted to I would not really know what to do.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

a) Yes.

b) Any other response.

or b and you weren't

it's fraught with peril!

true but like

I'm not saying it's not fluid, I don't think.

I'm not entirely sure the exact meaning of fluid here honestly due to what everyone is saying.

But I do agree that it's different for everyone and that's why communication is important to let each other know what your boundaries are.

• Options

a) Yes.

b) Any other response.

or b and you weren't

it's fraught with peril!

he goes on:

that's not the disagreement. if people agree upon boundaries, then those can be relatively static. we're saying those boundaries are fluid across other relationships.

'did i do something wrong' in the micro sense is probably easily answered. there isn't much fluidity there. the point is that the high water mark of wrongness is fluid between different people, so you saying to your friend 'you did x? that's cheating!' doesn't make sense

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    I've never had sex

maybe if you were better at starcraft

919UOwT.png
  • Options

a) Yes.

b) Any other response.

or b and you weren't

it's fraught with peril!

true but like

I'm not saying it's not fluid, I don't think.

I'm not entirely sure the exact meaning of fluid here honestly due to what everyone is saying.

But I do agree that it's different for everyone and that's why communication is important to let each other know what your boundaries are.

it's because i think there are two different ideas being talked about at the same time

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    And now for no reason, the Title Sequence of Alien

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jJRvZ72fLs

I thank you

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Honestly I think people are just meaning fluid in a few slightly different ways here mebbe...

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

i dont even know what this means without context

but generally i would say that if you are physically and emotionally intimate, compartmentalizing a certain aspect of your life from your partner is emotional cheating by way of omission

but everyone, or almost everyone, does this to a degree

100% honesty all the time sounds like a disaster if you're with someone for a long time

I don't lie about things but there are many things I will not mention unless my partner directly asks about it (unless it's something like, I suddenly racked up credit card debt, have a drug addiction or cheated that stuff comes out)

Idk I feel like compartmentalizing is vital in many cases

I disagree and don't operate my relationship like that.

There are plenty of times when I just don't mention something because it's inconsequential or irrelevant, but if I ever feel like I probably shouldn't tell Belasco something, I immediately go and tell her.

I think the only things I don't immediately tell Querry if they make me uncomfortable are of the type "she did this thing that bugged me, but maybe I'm actually reacting to something else, let me figure out if this is worth addressing"

• Options
    I've never had sex

why do you think I am the only person still playing

• Options
    Yeah this is fucking fluid dynamics.

• Options

a) Yes.

b) Any other response.

or b and you weren't

it's fraught with peril!

he goes on:

spool the communication problem you're having with everyone else here is the literal definition you're positing here puts the onus of judgment on the person making the decision whether or not to tell their partner

like, they're actually the person who decides if it's cheating

which means, by the definition you are posting, each person is deciding for themselves based on their own relationship standards and their own established parameters with that partner

because the judgment call of whether or not it's even something that you need to subject to that question is still relative to each person and relationship

i was very, very close with one of my co-workers at my last job, a lot of physical contact and joking around and stuff, i'm a tactile person and so is she

i did not subject this sort of activity to the very idea of the question Scalzi or you is presenting, as within the established parameters of my marriage with my wife, none of that would be a matter of concern for my wife, erego, it didn't even occur to me as something to even consider telling or not telling her

however, another co-worker, who has a completely different marriage standard obviously, said something to me about it like "uhhhh" and i kind of shrugged at it

now, in your opinion, because someone else thought it was an issue i should raise, do i know have to subject it to Scalzi's riguer when previously i hadn't even considered it?

or am i free to dismiss it out of hand, which is exactly what i did

because i am uncertain you are accurately assessing the potential damage of a "tempest in a teapot" of disclaiming things to your spouse that don't matter because other people tell you it matters

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

a) Yes.

b) Any other response.

or b and you weren't

it's fraught with peril!

he goes on:

that's not the disagreement. if people agree upon boundaries, then those can be relatively static. we're saying those boundaries are fluid across other relationships.

'did i do something wrong' in the micro sense is probably easily answered. there isn't much fluidity there. the point is that the high water mark of wrongness is fluid between different people, so you saying to your friend 'you did x? that's cheating!' doesn't make sense

yeah, the disagreement here, I think, is what is being described as fluid vs static

I think spool is saying, "in a given relationship, it is static"
    others are saying, I think, "for all possible relationships, it is very fluid"

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    If my partner laughs more at somebody else's jokes than mine, I consider that cheating, or maybe a severe psychological disorder

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

d va sempai~~

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Is it cheating if we kiss down by the riverside and my left brain know that my love is fleeting?

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »

i dont even know what this means without context

but generally i would say that if you are physically and emotionally intimate, compartmentalizing a certain aspect of your life from your partner is emotional cheating by way of omission

but everyone, or almost everyone, does this to a degree

100% honesty all the time sounds like a disaster if you're with someone for a long time

I don't lie about things but there are many things I will not mention unless my partner directly asks about it (unless it's something like, I suddenly racked up credit card debt, have a drug addiction or cheated that stuff comes out)

Idk I feel like compartmentalizing is vital in many cases

I disagree and don't operate my relationship like that.

There are plenty of times when I just don't mention something because it's inconsequential or irrelevant, but if I ever feel like I probably shouldn't tell Belasco something, I immediately go and tell her.

I think the only things I don't immediately tell Querry if they make me uncomfortable are of the type "she did this thing that bugged me, but maybe I'm actually reacting to something else, let me figure out if this is worth addressing"

That's awesome, but GOD DAMMIT DON'T BE LIKE MY WIFE AND THE ENTIRE TIME YOU'RE "FIGURING THAT OUT" YOU GET ALL QUIET AND MOODY!

• Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    SIG

Get new cats, eat those cats in front of them to display dominance

Easy Peasy

new cats will be like

yeah? and?

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Also most people never sit down and define monogamy, boundaries, etc, so it's kind of... well, fluid isn't quite the right word, but like, amorphous and unpredictable?

Like, fuck, even I haven't done that, instead settling for roughly what Spool's saying and trusting that I have enough of a handle on who Querry is that our definition borders match up fuzzily but well enough that no one's gonna destroy the other

Most people don't even do that

• Options
    rockrnger wrote: »
    Is it cheating if we kiss down by the riverside and my left brain know that my love is fleeting?

is "down by the riverside" a euphemism or

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    If my partner laughs more at somebody else's jokes than mine, I consider that cheating, or maybe a severe psychological disorder

Maybe your jokes just aren't very funny, em

*Takes a deep breath*

Maybe....maybe they suck

• Options
    also I find smang repulsive and I hateyou all for it

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    a
    I've never had sex

i honestly only ever bring up startcraft because i beat you in it one time

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Anyway time to go to Planned Parenthood

I'm stocking up on abortions in case they get banned

• Options
    a
    I've never had sex

i honestly only ever bring up startcraft because i beat you in it one time

I KNOW GOOEY

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    fire is roaring in the wood stove. feeling p christmassy. snow on the ground but not too cold! this winter thing can be nice. I'd be drinking a glass of wine with this nice moment but am going to my 2nd yoga class of the day in an hour because i'm becoming a crazy person and it's great.

but I will def drink a glass of wine after.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    rockrnger wrote: »

is "down by the riverside" a euphemism or

It must be

Caus my hearts still beating.

• Options
    Also most people never sit down and define monogamy, boundaries, etc, so it's kind of... well, fluid isn't quite the right word, but like, amorphous and unpredictable?

Like, fuck, even I haven't done that, instead settling for roughly what Spool's saying and trusting that I have enough of a handle on who Querry is that our definition borders match up fuzzily but well enough that no one's gonna destroy the other

Most people don't even do that

it's true

it's almost like lawmaking by court ruling

issues come up as they come up, and that sets precedent, and that precedent is what is considered the rules going forward

until an issue comes up, the rules are whatever each partner thinks the other partner thinks it is

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Anyway time to go to Planned Parenthood

I'm stocking up on abortions in case they get banned

raincheck yer abortions

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    But first before we speak of love and truth, answer me this:

What is delicious?

This discussion has been closed.