As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Trump Administration Thread For Discussing the Trump Administration

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    If there's one positive to social media, it's how quickly people emerge to poke holes in everything his administration tries to get away with.

Outside of things like Farenthold and a few other shining examples, I consider the social media criticism to be the true Fourth Estate at this point.

Everything else seems far to eager to not call out the Emperor's nudity for fear of being called biased.

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    What does Trump expect them to do?

They kind of have to sabotage the ethics committee first, so then they can get away with all of the unethical shit they have planned.

He only questioned them. He didn't say anything about stopping.

He can just shrug his hands now and say he already said something about it without having to actually do a single thing about it.

It's a win/win for him.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

They kind of have to sabotage the ethics committee first, so then they can get away with all of the unethical shit they have planned.

Donald Trump is ignorant of many things. Including whatever is in this post.

I may sig that...

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

I think its more so that no one investigates the shit they have already done.

You basically had a situation where a bunch of congressmen went to the Ethics committee, asked if it was ok to take a bribe from a foreign goverment, were told it was a-ok, and when the agency responsible for oversight found out and investigated, the ehics committee ordered them to stop investigating, and when they found out they could not legally do that, passed(or essentially passed, the rules bill probably isn't going to fail over it) a bill essentially outlawing the agency responsible for congressional oversight from doing their jobs without direct approval of the organization they are overseeing.

That is not corrupt, that is super mega double secret corrupt.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

He can just shrug his hands now and say he already said something about it without having to actually do a single thing about it.

It's a win/win for him.

And if they reverse course, he can then take credit for having done almost nothing.

It looks like the backlash is making them reverse course.
    I guarantee you Trump is going to take credit for it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Orca wrote: »
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Only I can be corrupt with absolute impunity

That tweet was clearly written by the campaign team, as it managed to play to the base without any obvious horrific content. Its the tweet that a smarter trump would write.

In other news, stuff like this helps keep my hopes alive on battling climate change...

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-38391034

More and more clean technology is already ready to make money for people, trumps old technology backers are going to be looking more and more like dinosaurs over the next 4 years.

When I think about it, I realize that this election in the long run will effectively just hand power to the corporations. Which, considering gerrymandering and voter suppression might not be an awful thing. If the power of spending rules, then true, white people are over represented, but at least inner city black people aren't just completely ignored. Maybe they only spend say, 30%, as much as the top 0.5% combined but that's better than the no representation they get right now.

Shadowrun future incoming.

Shadowrun future has already arrived. We just didn't know it.

Listen until there is an IC that can simulate perfect (if utterly devoid of emotion) sex in the matrix to distract me from how the cool dragon is dead we ain't there yet.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »
    Though China would love to see the US pull back from Asia so they could dominate more of the SE Asia like Vietnam. Say what you will about the TPP but cutting China out of those growing states was it's main purpose.

That will show them not to mess with Donald.
    Trumps big problem here is how foolish his supporters have been in thinking their lives are so awful. He has to actually do an exceptional job to avoid people directly experiencing negative outcomes over the next couple of years, and his policies don't work. He has to provide exceptional leadership internationally to avoid China and India dominating world politics, and even becoming major players in US domestic policies, and he doesn't understand any aspect of the world he lives in.

I know we like to joke and say how his supporters well back him through anything, but he's going to have real problems when their wages go down, their plants close, and they start literally dying in industrial accidents. 'fake news' works best on a relatively content population when you are in charge. Even the nazis, the masters of lies, started to lose their grip on power when their economic engine started to run out of steam at the end of the 30s. They had done well enough to spin off into a war to hold on a little longer, and their economic policies actually worked.

I was never joking. There's a fundamental difference between the German population and the deep down core of Trump's supporters - Germans care about their own well-being and the deep core does not. Their self image comes from their ancestors - white sharecroppers who had lives of pitiful misery, basically modern serfs with no literacy, ability to vote, hope for the future, and regularly died by the thousands of malnutrition and disorders like pellagra. And they did not care and were perfectly content with their lot so long as they thought they were innately better than their just-as-miserable black neighbors and could lynch them once in a while. All they care about is punching down to give themselves an easy illusion of superiority. Other countries had peasant revolts due to conditions far less bad than what southern whites lived with while the sharecroppers eagerly propped up their feudal lords.

And what scares me the most, which I've mentioned before, is that I'm sure Trump understands this at a gut level. He knows that his base could be literally starving, but if they were allowed to massacre gay people in the streets, or Hispanics or Muslims or educated women or elderly people or whatever else, they would prioritize that over their own survival and would be no threat to the regime's power. He wouldn't have to put any effort into keeping them alive because there's always another group that can be othered and targeted - growing up, I heard nasty bigoted talk from Baptists about Methodists and their evil religious rites and they're practically the same damn religion with minor window dressing differences. Turning on each other is a lot less thinking work than actually fixing problems and provides a quick, easy release from actual problems.

And people were talking about how the American public turned against Bush? That base never did.

I disagree 100%. His base THINKS they are tough guys like their ancestors were, who would be happy to endure horrible conditions and suffer like martyrs for a noble cause but the closest they have ever come to being hungry is playing Oregon Trail in middle school. While military members may have risked their lives, they did so at the head of the largest and most well equipped army in the modern world, and suffered most greatly (in the long term) by returning to communities, families and a nation which had no shared experience of suffering and no ability to understand what they had been through.

Right now Trumps base is fat and happy. They are old people, working people, people with jobs which are kinda meh, but keep the power on and the kids stocked up with soda and chips. It's easy to talk about sacrifice from a lazy boy. Easy to say, "My ancestors suffered and so can I, provided we maintain our moral high ground!" when your only experience of suffering is a popup telling you your peasants are dying in Clash of Kings online.

If they lose the good things they have they will not be happy. These people are not inhuman monsters, who care about nothing but inflicting pain on others. They just have been persuaded that their lives are awful and its someone elses fault. They will not turn on Trump overnight, but if their lives get worse they will step away from him. People want good things. Trump has persuaded them that they will have more good things by voting for him, since others are stealing stuff from them. Since thats absolutely not true, and the class he's raging against (poor minorities and immigrants) is effectively already enslaved by the system to give his supporters as much cheap stuff as they possibly can, there's no treasure to steal and distribute and no new slaves to take.

His only hope to keep his base actually happy with him is that the Obama momentum continues into 2020, and the only way for that to happen is to do as little as he possibly can. And honestly, without carefully targeted liberal policies to share the wealth of any Obama momentum which does maintain itself, all that wealth and treasure will just flow to the coasts and the cities.

And these 'happy peasants' of the past in the US? They weren't happy. They did revolt, and the US military and police put them down. Multiple times between the last 1850s and the 1930s. The size of the US and the lack of coordination between the 'workers rights' groups at the time just meant that the scale of the conflict never really rose to the national level.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Couscous wrote: »

It's a win/win for him.

And if they reverse course, he can then take credit for having done almost nothing.

It looks like the backlash is making them reverse course.
    I guarantee you Trump is going to take credit for it.

Anything to blunt the tidal wave of graft and corruption.

I'll take it. Assuming it works.

Orca on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    @tbloxham I very, very much hope that you are correct.

But I am not banking on it.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular

That tweet was clearly written by the campaign team, as it managed to play to the base without any obvious horrific content. Its the tweet that a smarter trump would write.

In other news, stuff like this helps keep my hopes alive on battling climate change...

More and more clean technology is already ready to make money for people, trumps old technology backers are going to be looking more and more like dinosaurs over the next 4 years.

When I think about it, I realize that this election in the long run will effectively just hand power to the corporations. Which, considering gerrymandering and voter suppression might not be an awful thing. If the power of spending rules, then true, white people are over represented, but at least inner city black people aren't just completely ignored. Maybe they only spend say, 30%, as much as the top 0.5% combined but that's better than the no representation they get right now.

I'd almost be ok with that if I could get my sweet shaman magic going.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Calling does actually work, even with Republicans. Ethics changes withdrawn.

Media, of course, crediting Trump.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Who orchestrated the gutting in the first place? I thought ye old GOP was against it.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular

Trump's control of the media cycle pretty much lets him handle Congress as he pleases. BTW, this kills all the "but Congress will fight against Trump" fantasies. He tweets, and they obey.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »

Trump's control of the media cycle pretty much lets him handle Congress as he pleases. BTW, this kills all the "but Congress will fight against Trump" fantasies. He tweets, and they obey.

Honestly, I think this is more a case of them getting caught with there dick out then anything else.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    This little episode is already out of the news cycle, since there's shiny new tweets:
    First, he kickstarts a beef with GM:

Then, he attacks Obamacare:

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/cnn-manages-to-blow-the-house-ethics-story
    House Republicans back off gutting ethics watchdog after backlash from Trump
    AP wrote:
    GOP drops weakening of ethics office, challenged by Trump
    CNN wrote:
    House Republicans pull plan to gut independent ethics panel after Trump tweets
    It is amazing when news organizations that could be patting themselves on the back for making a story get big and actually having an effect on Congress roll over to connect it to Trump's milquetoast criticism.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    It's pretty damning when Teen Vogue has the most balls to call out Trump's shit when global news outlets like CNN bend down to kiss his feet.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular

Yeah, who needs Beijing as an intermediary in that stand-off?

ROK sure took things well:
    Because of our active outreach, President-elect Trump and U.S. officials are clearly aware of the gravity and urgency of the North Korean nuclear threat. They are maintaining an unwavering stance on the need for sanctions on North Korea and for close cooperation between South Korea and the U.S.

I'm guessing 'our active outreach' is the emergency session held in Seoul after the U.S. election ended, and this is intended to be reminder of whatever was involved in that conversation.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

...I just now had the mental image of Donald goblinizing into a troll pop up into my head, and now I can't stop laughing.

Although I guess that would be unrealistic due to his tiny fingers. Probably would end up as a goblin.

And it would totally be worth it if I end up being able to sling fireballs or have technomancer abilities.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    It's pretty damning when Teen Vogue has the most balls to call out Trump's shit when global news outlets like CNN bend down to kiss his feet.

We should really stop being mean to teen vogue, it turns out its a great magazine with a strong history of quality investigative journalism over the last 10 years.

Teenage girls it turns out, are overwhelmingly liberal, smart, practical and politically engaged. They are who Trump and his gaggle of fading old men are terrified of. Young women who aren't just proud of their gender despite societies biases (like their forebears in the 60s and 70s), but who lack the background in being told by their parents and family to be subservient to men. True, many of them wanted to be Princesses. And society demanded they conform. But the Princess they wanted to be was engaged in tax and welfare reform. She wore a pretty dress, but it was made by a fair trade garment company who focused on renewable fabric use. She may have married a handsome prince, but the Prince was a full and equal partner in raising the children and supported the Princess in her work as a biochemist.

Mocking Teen Vogue for being aimed at teenage girls is like mocking Penny Arcade for being about video games. Or video games in general for being of no more worth than pong.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Why is it so fucking hard to make people understand what the ACA is? So many people I know IN THE MEDICAL FIELD who spout off incorrect things regarding it.

(This in regards to Trump's tweets above.)

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    I wonder if this was the plan all along? Or is that giving them too much credit on being organized?

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    Why is it so fucking hard to make people understand what the ACA is? So many people I know IN THE MEDICAL FIELD who spout off incorrect things regarding it.

Upton Sinclair would like a word.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular

Have you ever met any physician that knew the first thing about billing and insurance?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Same reason people who took calculus can't understand tax brackets. If you admit that reality isn't as dire or onerous as you believe then it means your complaints are just so much bullshit.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I think for your general uninformed voter they probably are confused by it having two names for a start, Obamacare and the ACA. And there doesn't seem to be much push to say really what it is accomplishing. The people using it probably know how helpful it is but if you're predisposed to Republicanism anyway and are NOT using it, it's easy to blame any health related issues right down to waiting time on the ACA.

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    GSM wrote: »
    I wonder if this was the plan all along? Or is that giving them too much credit on being organized?

Yes, not Trump's plan mind you. Republicans have set it up to be demonized since the Democrats first tried to pass it.
    The fact that it's imperfect, that it's not what it was originally supposed to be... and that the Republicans has both hands firmly involved in making it that way, mean nothing.
    It was the Democrats that "forced it" on America, and the Republicans have made absolutely damn well sure that every failing, every issue, every possible problem the ACA had was shouted out to the mountain tops.

It doesn't matter that they caused it, that's drowned out.
    It doesn't matter if the issues they are talking about have existed since before the ACA, and would still exist without it.
    It doesn't matter if the issue even has anything to do with the ACA at all in fact.

It only matters that it can be perceived as an issue with it, that it makes people angry, and that it gives them a target to point people at and look good.

So yes, this is exactly their plan, and Trump was just the guy that happened to be here at the right time and place to use it as one of his tools to bludgeon the public to death with while on the campaign trail.

I have little doubt they will gut it completely if they can find a way to make money off it and not catch any political flak for it. Otherwise I expect a few token "adjustments" to show they did something, then they will clap their hands together and proclaim they have fixed the ACA. Probably with some language about how it was impossible to truly change it more thanks to (insert excuse blaming Democrats) and that they will continue to find ways to improve it going forward as they are able.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I think for your general uninformed voter they probably are confused by it having two names for a start, Obamacare and the ACA. And there doesn't seem to be much push to say really what it is accomplishing. The people using it probably know how helpful it is but if you're predisposed to Republicanism anyway and are NOT using it, it's easy to blame any health related issues right down to waiting time on the ACA.

The two name thing was a specific ploy to make it an albatross for Obama.

It's part of the reason why people in Kentucky are only now learning that the "Kentucky Kynect" system they all know love is in danger of going away, because HARDY HAR HAR you actually had Obamacare that thing they hated.

• Options

We should really stop being mean to teen vogue, it turns out its a great magazine with a strong history of quality investigative journalism over the last 10 years.

Teenage girls it turns out, are overwhelmingly liberal, smart, practical and politically engaged. They are who Trump and his gaggle of fading old men are terrified of. Young women who aren't just proud of their gender despite societies biases (like their forebears in the 60s and 70s), but who lack the background in being told by their parents and family to be subservient to men. True, many of them wanted to be Princesses. And society demanded they conform. But the Princess they wanted to be was engaged in tax and welfare reform. She wore a pretty dress, but it was made by a fair trade garment company who focused on renewable fabric use. She may have married a handsome prince, but the Prince was a full and equal partner in raising the children and supported the Princess in her work as a biochemist.

Mocking Teen Vogue for being aimed at teenage girls is like mocking Penny Arcade for being about video games. Or video games in general for being of no more worth than pong.

Yeah, I started out here back in high school (well, Everything Else) because I was interested in knowing more about the world and politics and such and...well, things were even worse back then if you wanted to know anything. Hell, I used to watch the Sunday shows thinking I'd get informed. *shudder*

Inquisitive teens would read CNN instead of TeenVogue for informative takes on the news of the day if CNN wasn't shit.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    The ACA really needed a snappy name.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    :x :x

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Thank you Eternal Leader Trump, Divine of Appearance, Powerful of Strength, Sovereign of the Four Winds, Sustainer of the Sun for stepping down from your heavenly throne and thwarting those evil republican brutes.

• Options

It needed better subsidies with a higher ceiling for phase out and less of a Rube Goldberg approach. The exchange aspect of the law mostly helps poor and poorish people with only a bit more help for the ~middle class however you want to define it. You know who doesn't really vote that often? The poor and the dispossessed.

• Options
    Thank you Eternal Leader Trump, Divine of Appearance, Powerful of Strength, Sovereign of the Four Winds, Sustainer of the Sun for stepping down from your heavenly throne and thwarting those evil republican brutes.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38499284

Yeah, this sort of article pisses me off. While I'm glad to see strife, it needs to be portrayed as such, and the media need to start recognizing all the important factors.

"Trump forced to issue statement as public outcry grows over Republican attempt to scrap ethics committee" is the title you give this article. Not "Trump saves day again!"

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Sorry, I was talking about the ethics committee dismantling being threatened then canceled in less than 24 hours. That maybe it was all a show to allow Trump to look like he was being gracious and bipartisan.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I had a conversation with someone like that recently.

"What are you planning to do when they cancel obamacare, are you just going to drop your insurance? you may want to go ahead and try to go full time at work to get on theirs."
    "No, I have Blue Cross, it isn't obamacare, it won't affect me"
    "Oh, how do you afford that, you only work part time right?"
    "Yeah its only $100 a month"
    "Really? So you are a 25 year old female who only works part time, and somehow you managed to get a plan that isn't through work, or your parents, but is only $100, and isn't a subsidized plan?"
    "I don't know, I just know I didnt have to go through the government, the guy that does my car insurance set it up and its blue cross."

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

This, but the name "Obamacare" is intentionally misleading from the start. I kinda wish Obama hadn't latched onto it or endorsed the name during the Romney debate, because "Obamacare" implies insurance, which is not what it fucking is.

I remember during ACA enrollment, people would refer to the Co-ops that formed as Obamacare, and refused to believe that it wasn't.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I had a conversation with someone like that recently.

"What are you planning to do when they cancel obamacare, are you just going to drop your insurance? you may want to go ahead and try to go full time at work to get on theirs."
    "No, I have Blue Cross, it isn't obamacare, it won't affect me"
    "Oh, how do you afford that, you only work part time right?"
    "Yeah its only $100 a month"
    "Really? So you are a 25 year old female who only works part time, and somehow you managed to get a plan that isn't through work, but is only $100, and isn't a subsidized plan?"
    "I don't know, I just know I didnt have to go through the government, the guy that does my car insurance set it up and its blue cross."

People like this (of little brain) when they cancel Obamacare, will simply sigh, bemoan their lot briefly, forgo health insurance, and not connect it at all to political actions. Your friend will probably never realize she had Obamacare, just something like "Blue Cross raised their rates to $700 which I couldn't afford, but luckily Trump cancelled the mandate so I didn't get fined for having no insurance."

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »

The two name thing was a specific ploy to make it an albatross for Obama.

It's part of the reason why people in Kentucky are only now learning that the "Kentucky Kynect" system they all know love is in danger of going away, because HARDY HAR HAR you actually had Obamacare that thing they hated.

That is puzzling because they're ditching Kynect for the Federal Exchange. It was always going to be Obamacare no matter what

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
This discussion has been closed.