Options

The [American Political Media]: The People Who Shape The Political Landscape

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    That sounds a bit like they're upset that Buzzfeed of all organisations is getting all the attention.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    So 4chan made up the Russian hooker thing. Fakenews is going to a whole new level.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    No, that's what /theDonald is saying happened.

The hooker stuff is not the story either way.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Who even knows anymore? I heard it on the local radio on my way into work is all.....

you are referring to the cesspit that is /r/thedonald?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Who even knows anymore?

Well they're trying to say a memo from June was based on a story they concocted in November so...

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Who even knows anymore?
    As far as I can tell, the sole source for the claim is some post about Rick Wilson which doesn't make any sense because Rick Wilson has said he wasn't the source of the claim in the memos and probably wasn't the source given what we know about the memos.

https://medium.com/@therickwilson/fool-chan-e97fba24384f

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Who even knows anymore?
    As far as I can tell, the sole source for the claim is some post about Rick Wilson which doesn't make any sense because Rick Wilson has said he wasn't the source of the claim in the memos and probably wasn't the source given what we know about the memos.

And like, the places running with it are The Daily Stormer and shit. weev runs The Daily Stormer now IIRC. The story about it being a 4chan troll is the 4chan troll. Trollception.

• Options

Who even knows anymore?

And like, the places running with it are The Daily Stormer and shit. weev runs The Daily Stormer now IIRC. The story about it being a 4chan troll is the 4chan troll. Trollception.

So then places this morning are reporting on the reverse troll. I need a white board. or a chalk pen and a window.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular

Who even knows anymore?

So then places this morning are reporting on the reverse troll. I need a white board. or a chalk pen and a window.

Yeah, pretty much. Anybody reporting for sure that it's 4chan is mindlessly repeating the far right excuse.

It may end up having truth to it, but like hell if we know at the moment.

• Options
    Qanamil wrote: »

Who even knows anymore?

Yeah, pretty much. Anybody reporting for sure that it's 4chan is mindlessly repeating the far right excuse.

I think part of that will be the far left is so foaming at the mouth for anything anti trump- it will look like they are just grasping at anything. it will make it very easy for those far right types to hand wave it.
    Can we just start a middle movement where we talk about shit? Lets be alt middle.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Who even knows anymore?

Yeah those memos appear to be unfiltered intel; some of it is going to be bullshit. But the CNN story that the IC briefed the executives on something from it indicates some of it is also probably true.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Who even knows anymore?

I think part of that will be the far left is so foaming at the mouth for anything anti trump- it will look like they are just grasping at anything. it will make it very easy for those far right types to hand wave it.
    Can we just start a middle movement where we talk about shit? Lets be alt middle.

The assumption that anyone on the far right would believe anything not directly from their preferred fake news sources is fallacy. Witness the many beliefs in Hillary fake scandals and flat out ignorance of Trump's real ones.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Who even knows anymore?

The assumption that anyone on the far right would believe anything not directly from their preferred fake news sources is fallacy. Witness the many beliefs in Hillary fake scandals and flat out ignorance of Trump's real ones.

Yeah I don't give a fat flying fuck about anyone on the far right. They will never believe anything that doesn't confirm their worldview, regardless of how far left of them they are.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    That sounds a bit like they're upset that Buzzfeed of all organisations is getting all the attention.

Buzzfeed is a more mainstream version of Cracked: they fund some hard-hitting stuff by publishing endless inane list articles, but they're worth keeping on your feed when the juicy stuff crops up.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Gonna throw this here too...

Trump calls CNN "fake news" at his conference, and refuses to take questions. I hope CNN is so pissed off that it gets them to do their jobs. My fear, however, is that they'll roll over like a puppy and show their belly to their master so they don't get their access cut off entirely.

• Options
    You know it'll be the second one. And the rest of the media will go along with shaming CNN for running fake news.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I can't imagine the actual news will take very kindly to being shunned and told they are fake news

But then stranger things have happened

Like Trump getting elected

So

Um

We're fucked

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I can't imagine the actual news will take very kindly to being shunned and told they are fake news

But then stranger things have happened

Like Trump getting elected

So

Um

We're fucked

Trump has constantly attacked CNN. CNN has reacted by hiring more Trump supporters in the past because ratings uber alles.

• Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    So during the press conference Breitbart asked Trump: "What reforms do you recommend for this industry here?"

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Yeah, the strangest thing would be the corporate media not being the GOP's lapdogs.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Ardol wrote: »
    So during the press conference Breitbart asked Trump: "What reforms do you recommend for this industry here?"

Repeal and Replace.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

Jesus, that was breitbart? I wasn't sure if a real journalist was being coy or if it was an actual plant. Good to know.

Edit: Specifically referring to the press in terms of reforms. Essentially, "How would you recommend silencing dissent? And the people around me?"

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

The scariest thing is apparently Brietbart is considered a real news organization worthy of being at a presidential press conference now

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Who even knows anymore?

Can we shut up about it being "the far left"

anyone with a damn brain is terrified of Trump I'm sorry

• Options

The scariest thing is apparently Brietbart is considered a real news organization worthy of being at a presidential press conference now

Remember that Bush planted people at his. We're just running through that administration, without the fig leaf of giving a shit about corruption. And to be fair to Bush, he is and was not a purely vile person on an individual level. Not that he was a good one, he had an impulse for cruelty, but not like Trump.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Unfortunately, "Trump shits at CNN" was a constant primary headline and nothing happened.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular

Fuck me, that was Breitbart?

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    What is fake news?

Is it the onion? Is it those awful chain letters your republican uncle forwards? Or some combination of the two?

Today, at least, it seems to mean any news story you don't like. It seems like a new and kind of important thing going forward, and I don't have a clear definition in my head.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    VishNub wrote: »
    What is fake news?

Is it the onion? Is it those awful chain letters your republican uncle forwards? Or some combination of the two?

Today, at least, it seems to mean any news story you don't like. It seems like a new and kind of important thing going forward, and I don't have a clear definition in my head.

no, it's any story someone with an 'R' next to their name doesn't like.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    What is fake news?

It's meant to mean news specifically designed from scratch that is fictional with the intention of fooling people into reading and sharing it (for the clicks or for propaganda purposes).

It used to be a harmless way to describe satire like the Onion but after the election described things like "FBI Agent Investigating Clinto Found Dead," a story shared on FB, invented by Macedonian teens or whatever, and published on a prop site that looked at a glance like a media site but only had one story.

It's been immediately seized by the right as a covenient phrase to dismiss any news story they disagree with, even if that story comes from a reputable organization and results from actual reporting based on evidence. Trump just called CNN "fake news" for reporting what the intelligence community briefed both him and President Obama on.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    "Fake news" = clickbait. At least as it's being thrown around currently.

Next question is 'and what exactly is clickbait anyways?', followed by 'an article written by someone you don't like'.

Right now there is so much garbage (or clickbait or whatever) floating out there that most things go straight to my mental spam folder. Starting with all those Hillary 'scandals' and now Trump 'scandals' that lacked any real substance and went nowhere (and the email one never had much substance despite it's impact, either), it's going to take a lot for anything new to register on my give-a-shit-o-meter.

• Options
    Ah false balance. Check this out. TPM had this whole thing figured out from publicly available, verifiable information in July. Except the golden showers part.

• Options
    I'm just glad that our media held their fire on this scandal. Hate to have effected the election.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    The thing is, we had a name for that: conspiracy theories. Why was this replaced with the super vague "fake news?" Fake can mean so many things. Trying to ascribe a specific meaning to it and then complaining that people are calling the wrong things fake news is an exercise in futility

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    The thing is, we had a name for that: conspiracy theories. Why was this replaced with the super vague "fake news?" Fake can mean so many things. Trying to ascribe a specific meaning to it and then complaining that people are calling the wrong things fake news is an exercise in futility

Because the term started with websites that were literally just that: they looked like news sites but the content was totally fabricated. Think the onion but propaganda not comedy.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Okay, Buzzfeed's response to the attack on them is impressive:

Trashcan_large.jpg?v=1484165218

Yes, you can buy a Buzzfeed trashcan, among other "failing pile of garbage" gear.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Clickbait is
    "Hillary Clinton could be indicted with this one weird law"

Conspiracy Theory is:
    "Hillary Clinton won't be indicted because of VINCE FOSTER"

Fake news is:
    "Hillary Clinton Indicted!" (Which I could swear I saw)

Clickbait is probably factual content, but framed deceptively.

CT's are crazy people inferring what isn't known.

Fake news is an outright lie.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Because the term started with websites that were literally just that: they looked like news sites but the content was totally fabricated. Think the onion but propaganda not comedy.

But it didn't stay that way, even before conservatives started using it. It's just a bad term if you are trying to be specific, which I'd argue not everyone was even on the same page about to begin with (I definitely saw it used to attack politically biased but not outright fabricated sites often)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Okay, Buzzfeed's response to the attack on them is impressive:

Trashcan_large.jpg?v=1484165218

Yes, you can buy a Buzzfeed trashcan, among other "failing pile of garbage" gear.

They even got a Steele pun into the description.

This discussion has been closed.