Options

The Trump Administration Thread Is Now Happening

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Anonymous organizations for a good while now are little more than mercenaries, working for whoever pays the money. From the companies that are totally not owned by the proxies of Russian oligarchs, to the little kids using their mom's credit card.

That, BTW, is the cause of the huge mass of plauslible deniability that exists on who the hell hacked the DNC.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Waffen wrote: »
    As far as I know, 4chan is well on the Trump train, so I don't see them looking for anything embarrassing on him, their Orange God.

That's because 4chan is mostly uninhibited young teenage boys who just discovered the internet and can't think for themselves. They post the Donald Trump memes because they imagine that they're, "triggering" people for the "lulz" while other posters are more/less doing the same. In other words, its the Ashley Madison of message boards. Its men flirting with other men". They're doing it because its the internet and everything on the internet must be true.

We also know that Trump is pretending that everyone coming to DC this week are coming to support his inauguration. Just precisely, how many people are planning to protest it? I can't imagine that it'll be a small amount.

Estimates are 200,000 currently, but i doubt that incorporates a lot of locals who might just show up.

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Anonymous, the consumer of WB media properties, and 4chan are two different creatures right now. Trump support is mostly in /pol/ and seeps into other boards.

Yeah, I litterally just checked Anonymous' youtube channel and saw that there most recent video was a demand for proof of life for julian assange because the embassy he was seeking shelter in had been raided two months ago by the CIA and now it had control of Wikileaks.

I'm pretty sure theres a healthy dose of team trump in the hacktivist collective.

Problem with Anon, and also it's strength, is that it's not a coherent group.
    One part could say, "screw Trump, let's get dirt on him!" and get a whole mess of people on board with it.
    At the exact same time, another guy could want to have Trump's Orange love babies, and get a bunch of people on board with that.

I'm sure there's enough bleeding over of things on both sides to keep Trump relatively safe from a major campaign from them for now. And that's not even counting if Russia has truly managed to gain some influence over their actions.

The thing is that Anonymous is supposed to be united in a series of core ideals (net neutrality, opposition to corruption in government regardless of alignment, the freedom of information) and by the same coin they were perfectly fine with trump by all appearances (or at least an inadequate number of slacktivists cared to take action) right up until he insulted lewis, but waited until after MLK day to take action all while ignoring that the sainted Asange was at best an idiotic idealist being manipulated by the russian government.

It's hyporcitical as shit and feeds directly into the perception amongst veteran net surfers that they're less a lurking power house and more of a band of pretentious teenage anarchists.

That's because they are hypocritical as shit.
    They are a bunch of people in it for all their own reasons. Some are passionate about a cause... or at least for a little bit. Some are just in it for the lulz, and some are certainly in it for even less savory reasons.

That they can occasionally come together in enough of a way to do some pretty big stuff is true. But there's no guarantee what they get around to doing will be of any real importance either. They are just as likely to come together to bring down some random website as they are to actually hunt for documents to expose corruption. Actually, I'd say they are far more likely to down a web site, it takes a lot less skill.

Even at their "best" they are unreliable.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    furbat wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    One of the things I read that I really feel has played a huge role in this new administration is what Lewis Gould talks about in his book The Republicans: A history of the Grand Old Party. His main point is that the Republican party has almost always been skeptical about the legitimacy of the democratic party, and that this skepticism has shaped the two parties' relations and has led to the current partisan divide.

Definitely makes sense now looking back and seeing Republicans go on and on about voter fraud and what have you.

I think that goes both ways very hard. This election, fake news has been the scapegoat to explain the inconceivable fact that millions of voters support Trump warts and all. Before that, the left railed against big money stealing elections. Though, after 2016 we won't hear about that for a bit I think.

do you ever make any posts that aren't "Both sides are the same!"

Hey, this time at least, I'd say there's some element of truth. IMO, the average Trump supporter is woefully uninformed and unequipped to engage in the democratic process, and we're all going to suffer as a result of their gullibility and misdirected anger and bad decisions. And the man they've elected to the Oval is, even with all the Russian stuff aside, completely unfit for the office. But that's as much about the terrible state of education and media in this country, and a twenty-year campaign of disinformation about the other candidate, and some fucking awful cultural narratives about ambitious women that we still haven't been able to fully overcome (as much as I hoped and believed we had). I can only blame them so much when the entire reality that the media presents them, every day, is an outright lie. What else are they going to believe?

And - here's the important bit - while I might occasionally grouse about how the ignorant get to vote the same as those of us who have a fucking clue, I do not and would not seriously support any efforts to suppress or disenfranchise them. That's what they, or rather, their masters do - not me, not us. That's where we get to say we're better.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    As far as I know, 4chan is well on the Trump train, so I don't see them looking for anything embarrassing on him, their Orange God.

That's because 4chan is mostly uninhibited young teenage boys who just discovered the internet and can't think for themselves. They post the Donald Trump memes because they imagine that they're, "triggering" people for the "lulz" while other posters are more/less doing the same. In other words, its the Ashley Madison of message boards. Its men flirting with other men". They're doing it because its the internet and everything on the internet must be true.

We also know that Trump is pretending that everyone coming to DC this week are coming to support his inauguration. Just precisely, how many people are planning to protest it? I can't imagine that it'll be a small amount.

Estimates are 200,000 currently, but i doubt that incorporates a lot of locals who might just show up.

I'm coming, and so are a bunch of D&Ders. I do not expect any hounds. Fortunately, the weather isn't shaping up to be a subzero icebox, either. It may even be fun.

If you live in/around DC, please consider dealing with the logistical hassle to make that 200,000 estimate not a benchmark for failure.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Hoz wrote: »
    I was thinking about the healthcare quagmire that Trump has put Republicans in. I think there is only one gambit they can make and that is to allow insurance companies to create token coverage plans that are really cheap but don't really cover shit.

They can't make premiums of actual insurance cheaper without going after healthcare costs in some way, which is really really hard. So they're probably going to do what Republicans have been doing all along, lie. And the biggest lie they can go with is token insurance plans.

They can call them "Gilded Plans", something that looks nice but is just gold plated garbage.

And then we can nickname them "Trump Plans", because gold plated garbage is his bag.

Zomro on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Insurance providers used to have so-called catastrophic coverage plans that were eliminated when the ACA took effect. It was a source of many stories about how it was horrible that people were being forced to pay more for coverage.

Which was true, but it also meant that the coverage was actually useful.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

So would the actual people of LA not hate this?

This is exactly the sort of thing Trump would love.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

LA is gunning hard for the 2024 olympics, completely independent of Trump or frankly any administration.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

But the last couple of Olympics have been enormous shit shows that did not go well for the host country. Why the fuck would we want one?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    The US is capable of turning a profit on the Olympics.

But if Trump overtly supports this, then support for it in LA will probably crater.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Events like the Olympics carry the hidden cost of practically ruining the host location. While LA is probably one of the few cities on earth unlikely to be severely impacted, much of the infrastructure needed to host hasn't really been upgraded since they last hosted in 1984.

So long as the hidden costs are kept hidden, locals probably won't care. And of those same costs can be hidden from US taxpayers, then everybody else probably won't care either.

Remember when everybody prominent conservatives celebrated that Chicago lost out and how Obama was directly responsible and thus not patriotic enough or something? Yeah.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Los Angeles is historically the best city at hosting the olympics. We don't have to do anything, it will be slightly less chaotic than when several of our sports teams win championships in the same year.

fiteme.

A lot of people are actually excited because it would force infrastructure projects on the docket anyway into a fast track.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    hey guys, if you feel like doing something today to show support for someone Trump is going after

you could join a "postcard avalanche" effort to send postcards showing support for John Lewis

deets:
    Campaign One: Congressman John Lewis
    Address: 100 Peachtree Street NW, Suite 1920, Atlanta, GA 30303
    Message: <write whatever you wish to show your support> Suggestions: "We stand with you." or "Thank you for your many years of service for the good of the American people." or "We, too, think he's illegitimate."
    Side note: Congressman Lewis loves chickens. We're not keeping score but you can totally give yourself bonus points for sending him a postcard with a chicken on it.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Probably heard how corrupt they were and wanted in.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

But the last couple of Olympics have been enormous shit shows that did not go well for the host country. Why the fuck would we want one?

I dunno

London 2012 was a really positive experience in the mind of most Britons, I'd say

It is very highly regarded, we did well, attendance was very high

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    John Bolton wants US military assets in Taiwan.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Simple folk often imagine that only the poor and hideous would hire prostitutes, because they can't get a woman any other way. This has an obvious flaw, in that the poor don't have any money to blow on hookers.

I've heard it said that men don't hire a hooker to sleep with them, they hire her to go away afterwards

Yep. Or more to the point, people hire prostitutes because of the power imbalance inherent in the transaction. Which is one of those uncomfortable points that legalization advocates avoid.

Uh, a large part of that power imbalance is there because of prostitution illegality.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    John Bolton wants US military assets in Taiwan.

https://youtu.be/oqrdElgM09c

Do these assholes need to re-fight Vietnam all the fucking time now?

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »

I'm coming, and so are a bunch of D&Ders. I do not expect any hounds. Fortunately, the weather isn't shaping up to be a subzero icebox, either. It may even be fun.

If you live in/around DC, please consider dealing with the logistical hassle to make that 200,000 estimate not a benchmark for failure.

Happy Valley PA, home to Penn State, is sending 13 buses on its own as per my mother in law's current count.

We'll be attending a sympathetic march here in town, since traveling with our schedules and an 8 month old to a march in January seemed like a terrible idea.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    [quote="Hakkekage;c-36794941"

If you live in/around DC, please consider dealing with the logistical hassle to make that 200,000 estimate not a benchmark for failure. [/quote]

My wife and three kids and I are planning on being there on Saturday. So that'll be +5 from Maryland. We can walk to the Red Line, and I'm hoping Metro is not a complete cluster.

• Options
    maggieNYT wrote:
    Trump's inaugural address is expected to be less than 20 minutes, anchored in Jacksonian approach, per two ppl familiar with it.

But as ever with Trump, things could change before Friday.

And, as ever with Trump, depends how much he sticks to the pre-written text. At his kickoff speech in June 2015, he threw out the prepared.

Jacksonian? Like hell Trump would have a speech this well written:
    Fellow-Citizens:

About to undertake the arduous duties that I have been appointed to perform by the choice of a free people, I avail myself of this customary and solemn occasion to express the gratitude which their confidence inspires and to acknowledge the accountability which my situation enjoins. While the magnitude of their interests convinces me that no thanks can be adequate to the honor they have conferred, it admonishes me that the best return I can make is the zealous dedication of my humble abilities to their service and their good.

As the instrument of the Federal Constitution it will devolve on me for a stated period to execute the laws of the United States, to superintend their foreign and their confederate relations, to manage their revenue, to command their forces, and, by communications to the Legislature, to watch over and to promote their interests generally. And the principles of action by which I shall endeavor to accomplish this circle of duties it is now proper for me briefly to explain.

In administering the laws of Congress I shall keep steadily in view the limitations as well as the extent of the Executive power trusting thereby to discharge the functions of my office without transcending its authority. With foreign nations it will be my study to preserve peace and to cultivate friendship on fair and honorable terms, and in the adjustment of any differences that may exist or arise to exhibit the forbearance becoming a powerful nation rather than the sensibility belonging to a gallant people.

In such measures as I may be called on to pursue in regard to the rights of the separate States I hope to be animated by a proper respect for those sovereign members of our Union, taking care not to confound the powers they have reserved to themselves with those they have granted to the Confederacy.

The management of the public revenue--that searching operation in all governments--is among the most delicate and important trusts in ours, and it will, of course, demand no inconsiderable share of my official solicitude. Under every aspect in which it can be considered it would appear that advantage must result from the observance of a strict and faithful economy. This I shall aim at the more anxiously both because it will facilitate the extinguishment of the national debt, the unnecessary duration of which is incompatible with real independence, and because it will counteract that tendency to public and private profligacy which a profuse expenditure of money by the Government is but too apt to engender. Powerful auxiliaries to the attainment of this desirable end are to be found in the regulations provided by the wisdom of Congress for the specific appropriation of public money and the prompt accountability of public officers.

With regard to a proper selection of the subjects of impost with a view to revenue, it would seem to me that the spirit of equity, caution and compromise in which the Constitution was formed requires that the great interests of agriculture, commerce, and manufactures should be equally favored, and that perhaps the only exception to this rule should consist in the peculiar encouragement of any products of either of them that may be found essential to our national independence.

Internal improvement and the diffusion of knowledge, so far as they can be promoted by the constitutional acts of the Federal Government, are of high importance.

Considering standing armies as dangerous to free governments in time of peace, I shall not seek to enlarge our present establishment, nor disregard that salutary lesson of political experience which teaches that the military should be held subordinate to the civil power. The gradual increase of our Navy, whose flag has displayed in distant climes our skill in navigation and our fame in arms; the preservation of our forts, arsenals, and dockyards, and the introduction of progressive improvements in the discipline and science of both branches of our military service are so plainly prescribed by prudence that I should be excused for omitting their mention sooner than for enlarging on their importance. But the bulwark of our defense is the national militia, which in the present state of our intelligence and population must render us invincible. As long as our Government is administered for the good of the people, and is regulated by their will; as long as it secures to us the rights of person and of property, liberty of conscience and of the press, it will be worth defending; and so long as it is worth defending a patriotic militia will cover it with an impenetrable aegis. Partial injuries and occasional mortifications we may be subjected to, but a million of armed freemen, possessed of the means of war, can never be conquered by a foreign foe. To any just system, therefore, calculated to strengthen this natural safeguard of the country I shall cheerfully lend all the aid in my power.

It will be my sincere and constant desire to observe toward the Indian tribes within our limits a just and liberal policy, and to give that humane and considerate attention to their rights and their wants which is consistent with the habits of our Government and the feelings of our people.

The recent demonstration of public sentiment inscribes on the list of Executive duties, in characters too legible to be overlooked, the task of reform, which will require particularly the correction of those abuses that have brought the patronage of the Federal Government into conflict with the freedom of elections, and the counteraction of those causes which have disturbed the rightful course of appointment and have placed or continued power in unfaithful or incompetent hands.

In the performance of a task thus generally delineated I shall endeavor to select men whose diligence and talents will insure in their respective stations able and faithful cooperation, depending for the advancement of the public service more on the integrity and zeal of the public officers than on their numbers.

A diffidence, perhaps too just, in my own qualifications will teach me to look with reverence to the examples of public virtue left by my illustrious predecessors, and with veneration to the lights that flow from the mind that founded and the mind that reformed our system. The same diffidence induces me to hope for instruction and aid from the coordinate branches of the Government, and for the indulgence and support of my fellow-citizens generally. And a firm reliance on the goodness of that Power whose providence mercifully protected our national infancy, and has since upheld our liberties in various vicissitudes, encourages me to offer up my ardent supplications that He will continue to make our beloved country the object of His divine care and gracious benediction.

I will be surprised if he can talk for 20 minutes without ad libbing a bunch.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Trump didn't hire speechwriters, he just hired some folks to rephrase his train wreck of a style into a historical framing.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Jacksonian seems right: advocate genocide, tell the courts to go fuck themselves, and cripple the national economy.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    So apparently they've taken out a bunch of Facebook ads targeted at "New York City resident, 27 and older" trying to convince people to attend the inauguration.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Who have? Don't they realize that New Yorkers despise Donald Trump? They loath him more than Californians!

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Liberals also hate the liberal media, ironically because it isn't liberal enough.

-.-

I won't speak for anyone else, but to me this is why the New York Times is garbage:

They explicitly and unabashedly published bullshit about Iraqi materiel, as part of a choreographed campaign right alongside the GOP, to advocate for war. Every one of those shitbag reporters working for that rag should have been made to sit behind sandbags recording stories front the front since they wanted the war so damn bad.

That story was instrumental in earning public support for the war effort from people sitting on the fence. An ombudsman for the NYT would later come out to wring their hands and talk about how unsubstantiated it all was, but by the time he did the damage was done.

I cannot wait for the old garbage media to die it's richly deserved death, and 'not being leftist enough' has nothing to do with it.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Liberals also hate the liberal media, ironically because it isn't liberal enough.

-.-

I won't speak for anyone else, but to me this is why the New York Times is garbage:

They explicitly and unabashedly published bullshit about Iraqi materiel, as part of a choreographed campaign right alongside the GOP, to advocate for war. Every one of those shitbag reporters working for that rag should have been made to sit behind sandbags recording stories front the front since they wanted the war so damn bad.

That story was instrumental in earning public support for the war effort from people sitting on the fence. An ombudsman for the NYT would later come out to wring their hands and talk about how unsubstantiated it all was, but by the time he did the damage was done.

I cannot wait for the old garbage media to die it's richly deserved death, and 'not being leftist enough' has nothing to do with it.

What? You just posted something about hating the NYT because it wasn't very liberal. And this contradicts me somehow?

Oh, and by the way, the "old garbage media" is already dying, and of course being replaced by quality, courageous and in-depth news sources. LOL! My joke. Being replaced by Breitbart and Buzzfeed.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Will Trump have SOTU?

From time to time, I suspect.

To be clear - it is constitutionally mandated that POTUS deliver the State of the Union to Congress. That it's an annual address is tradition though. I think it being a speech may also just be tradition. There is literally nothing to gain from breaking these traditions either.

So twitter counts?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

-.-

What? You just posted something about hating the NYT because it wasn't very liberal. And this contradicts me somehow?

Oh, and by the way, the "old garbage media" is already dying, and of course being replaced by quality, courageous and in-depth news sources. LOL! My joke. Being replaced by Breitbart and Buzzfeed.

Buzzfeed has actually developed a solid reputation for investigative reporting.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Who have? Don't they realize that New Yorkers despise Donald Trump? They loath him more than Californians!

Frankly unclear. I'm not even certain who would? Like... his company I assume?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options

No, I posted something about hating them because they lied in order to support a war. That has nothing to do with partisan interests.

Do you have anything of substance to defend them with here, or is cheerleading for an invasion & occupation based on terrible information indefensible enough for you?

Yes, and Breitbart / Buzzfeed are read by people who do not (on average) actually go to the polls on a given election day. That's the big difference (at least right now) between the responsibility resting on the shoulders of the Blogosphere vs the responsibility resting on the shoulder of traditional print media:

The demographic group that consumes the NYT / WaPo & watch Fox News / CNN / MSNBC is the same demographic most likely to actually be politically active. Perhaps this will change in the future, and when it does then I'll be worried about what Buzzfeed spews from its sewer nozzle - for now, fuck the NYT.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    I want no one to show up.

I want the camera to pan over the crowd and see tumbleweeds blowing across the field.

• Options

-.-

Buzzfeed has actually developed a solid reputation for investigative reporting.

One Buzzfeed group even got purchased by CNN and is now over there as the KFile doing decent work digging up old interviews like here:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/16/politics/kfile-trump-russia-sanctions-2014/
    In the interviews reviewed by CNN's KFile from March 2014, which occurred on NBC News and Fox News, Trump goes as far as to suggest imposing sanctions to hurt Russia economically and then later says he supports such sanctions. Trump also expressed his agreement with former Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney's 2012 assessment that Russia is the United States' number one "geopolitical foe."

"Well, Mitt was right, and he was also right when he mentioned in one of the debates about Russia, and he said, 'Russia's our biggest problem, and Russia is, you know, really something,'" Trump said on the March 24, 2014 edition of "Fox and Friends."
    Trump added the U.S. could use economic measures to harm Russia.

"There are a lot of things we could be doing economically to Russia. Russia is not strong economically and we could do a lot of different things to really do numbers on them if we wanted to," said Trump.

Trump went further speaking with NBC's "Today"on March 14, saying sanctions should be placed on Russia.

"We should definitely do sanctions," Trump said while promoting the Miss USA pageant.

"And we have to show some strength. I mean, Putin has eaten Obama's lunch, therefore our lunch, for a long period of time," he said. "And I just hope that Obama, who's not looking too good, doesn't do something very foolish and very stupid to show his manhood. I just hope that doesn't happen."

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Hakkekage wrote: »

Somebody needs to start a PM thread to talk about it. I'm meeting up with grad school friends for drinks afterwards, but they're being cagey about coordinating for the event proper.
    Jacksonian seems right: advocate genocide, tell the courts to go fuck themselves, and cripple the national economy.

Jackson also threatened to personally execute John C. Calhoun when South Carolina was advocating for nullification of federal law. Doubt you'd get that out of Trump.

Mr Khan on
  • Options
    Ardol wrote: »
    I want no one to show up.

I want the camera to pan over the crowd and see tumbleweeds blowing across the field.

Ideally, I would love this.

Realistically, given that there are going to be attendees there supporting Trump & celebrating the inauguration, I will settle for there being more people present but a significant number of them protesting the ceremony.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I'm just looking forward to the terrible photoshops/weird camera angles, inflating the size of the crowd.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    I'm just looking forward to the terrible photoshops/weird camera angles, inflating the size of the crowd.

I'm looking forward to the images lifted directly from Obama's inauguration and touted as Trump's crowds, complete with the lack of attention to detail that makes it SUPER obvious that it isn't, in fact, 2017.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Trump's Director of the Office of Public Liaison can bullshit with the best of them.

https://www.ft.com/content/0a15c89c-dcb6-11e6-9d7c-be108f1c1dce
    Donald Trump is committed to globalisation, Davos told

Elite in Europe and US have misunderstood trade stance says Anthony Scaramucci

A senior member of Donald Trump’s team insisted that the president-elect was committed to globalisation, open trade and Nato, despite recent comments that unsettled America’s allies.

Anthony Scaramucci, Mr Trump’s newly appointed public liaison official, told the World Economic Forum in Davos on Tuesday that the European and American elite had misunderstood Mr Trump and would change their views when he took office.
    “Every single trade deal that the US has [created] since 1945 were these asymmetrical deals. Because we were trying to help countries improve their living standards,” he said. “We call those agreements free trade but they were free asymmetrically. So all we’re asking for now is to create more symmetry in these trade agreements.”

Mr Scaramucci, former owner of SkyBridge, a hedge fund, added: “If the Chinese believe in globalisation they have to reach to us and create this symmetry because the path to more prosperity is via the American middle class and workers. Trump could be one of the last great hopes for globalism.”
    That line should have gotten laughter because HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Couscous on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Mortious wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Will Trump have SOTU?

From time to time, I suspect.

To be clear - it is constitutionally mandated that POTUS deliver the State of the Union to Congress. That it's an annual address is tradition though. I think it being a speech may also just be tradition. There is literally nothing to gain from breaking these traditions either.

So twitter counts?

Technically, maybe. All he is required to do is send a letter, from time to time (which really means nothing). A few tweets might qualify

Phyphor on
This discussion has been closed.