Options

The Trump Administration Thread Is Now Happening

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Yeah sure, okay.

Then I choose to acknowledge an Alternative President.

edit for TotP: In reference to Kellyanne Goebbels' "alternative facts" bullshit

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Conway went full doublethink.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/wh-spokesman-gave-alternative-facts-inauguration-crowd-n710466
    [...]

Asked on "Meet the Press" why Spicer used his first appearance before the press to dispute a minimal issue like the inauguration crowd size, and why he used falsehoods to do so, Conway pushed back.

"You're saying it's a falsehood and Sean Spicer, our press secretary, gave alternative facts to that," she told NBC's Chuck Todd.

She then went on to echo Spicer's claim on Saturday that it wasn't possible to count the count, despite Trump's team's accompanying insistence that it was the "largest audience."

"I don't think you can prove those numbers one way or another. There's no way to quantify crowd numbers," Conway said.

Conway also suggested that Todd's insistence on asking why Spicer delivered a demonstrably false statement could affect the White House's treatment of the media.

"If we're going to keep referring to the press secretary in those types of terms I think we're going to have to rethink our relationship here," she said.

"There is no way to quantify crowd numbers" exists alongside the claim the media got the crowd size wrong.

Maybe all the attendees at the Obama inaugurations were wearing six foot tarps.
    Maybe the majority attendees at the Trump inauguration were watching via blimp.
    Maybe the inauguration attracted more mole people who were listening via vibrations from their underground cave network.
    You can't prove things!

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Those facts are just, like, your opinion, man.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    The military is pretty reliant on the chain of command functioning all the way down without questioning orders. It's an important rule because it keeps our soldiers alive, but training and expediency don't leave a lot of room for critical thinking.

We fetishize the moral individual breaking the chain of command because an order is Bad and Wrong, but that doesn't really happen. It's easy when we're outside looking in to criticize soldiers for doing evil things, but you have to also remember that the soldiers executing commands operate with limited information. They're told as much as command wants to tell them, and that's it.

(Note that I draw a distinction between following orders in a combat situation and, say, administering "enhanced interrogation techniques" to prisoners of war.)

Ehhhhh don't wholly agree. I've seen people disobey unlawful orders and done it myself. Don't get me wrong, I've followed orders I felt weren't 100% okay in the heat of the moment. But far more often (at least with sailors) I've seen people tell someone "No, we can't do that."

I do agree it's not easy to do.

That's fair. I've never been in the military so this knowledge is based talking to people who have and reading stuff. I'm glad to hear it's more common then I thought.

Each branch and each sub community within those branches varies wildly. I don't disagree that it happens and probably more often than it should. But at least for Navy it's stressed that lawful and unlawful orders are a thing.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    "Alternative facts"

Remind me, are we at war with Eurasia or Eastasia?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/wh-spokesman-gave-alternative-facts-inauguration-crowd-n710466
    [...]

Asked on "Meet the Press" why Spicer used his first appearance before the press to dispute a minimal issue like the inauguration crowd size, and why he used falsehoods to do so, Conway pushed back.

"You're saying it's a falsehood and Sean Spicer, our press secretary, gave alternative facts to that," she told NBC's Chuck Todd.

She then went on to echo Spicer's claim on Saturday that it wasn't possible to count the count, despite Trump's team's accompanying insistence that it was the "largest audience."

"I don't think you can prove those numbers one way or another. There's no way to quantify crowd numbers," Conway said.

Conway also suggested that Todd's insistence on asking why Spicer delivered a demonstrably false statement could affect the White House's treatment of the media.

"If we're going to keep referring to the press secretary in those types of terms I think we're going to have to rethink our relationship here," she said.

"There is no way to quantify crowd numbers" exists alongside the claim the media got the crowd size wrong.

Maybe the inauguration attracted more mole people who were listening via vibrations from their underground cave network.
    You can't prove things!

I need some sort of anger gif

• Options
    "Alternative facts"

Why not both?

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »

They did vote. They just happened to vote in a state that was, A. Blue, and B. Has less value than someone who lives in say, North Dakota.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    "Alternative facts"

Why not both?

Because Putin has more tapes.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Phyphor wrote: »
    I doubt if its at all possible but it seems like the most effective way to positively effect the next election is organized voluntary resettling.

Virtually impossible. You'd need so many to move, sell the houses that everybody has been encouraged to buy, find new jobs, etc

Almost certainly, but if you move a core of engaged people out to the states that lost us this election, canvass and organize for the next four years, and set up an infrastructure to shuffle money from overwhelmingly Liberal areas on the coast to right expensive races elsewhere in 2018 and 2020. I think even a much smaller amount of people moving than those required to flip the vote on their own can act as a force multiplier on what was already there.

Giggles_Funsworth on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    On stuff:

Trump wasn't going to let the opportunity presented by vandalism get by unnoticed.
    Is any other news service corroborating this? Because I take nothing the Daily Mail says at face value.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Holy lol "alternative facts"

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    [...]

You can't prove things!

I need some sort of anger gif

latest?cb=20110314162137

Was my go-to at one point. There are probably better ones.

• Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

They're just alt-facts, like the alt-right for the right.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I am never going to stop caring about all the lies. Trump's group thinks they are important enough to threaten the press over.
    So far, so good. But we do not congratulate a schoolmaster on teaching that two and two make four, though we may, perhaps, congratulate him on having chosen his laudable vocation. Let us then say it was praiseworthy that Tarrou and so many others should have elected to prove that two and two make four rather than the contrary; but let us add that this good will of theirs was one that is shared by the schoolmaster and by all who have the same feelings as the schoolmaster, and, be it said to the credit of mankind, they are more numerous than one would think—such, anyhow, is the narrator's conviction. Needless to say, he can see quite clearly a point that could be made against him, which is that these men were risking their lives. But again and again there comes a time in history when the man who dares to say that two and two make four is punished with death.

The schoolteacher is well aware of this. And the question is not one of knowing what punishment or reward attends the making of this calculation. The question is that of knowing whether two and two do make four. For those of our townsfolk who risked their lives in this predicament the issue was whether or not plague was in their midst and whether or not they must fight against it.

Conway also sounded like there was going to be a purge of the intelligence community.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/22/donald-trump-cia-speech-win-twitter-protests
    Appearing on ABC’s This Week on Sunday, senior Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway said it was time for the president “to put in his own security intelligence community” and added: “We really would prefer the intelligence community that’s going out the door to be much more respectful toward the president and his vision in moving forward.”

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    The military is pretty reliant on the chain of command functioning all the way down without questioning orders. It's an important rule because it keeps our soldiers alive, but training and expediency don't leave a lot of room for critical thinking.

We fetishize the moral individual breaking the chain of command because an order is Bad and Wrong, but that doesn't really happen. It's easy when we're outside looking in to criticize soldiers for doing evil things, but you have to also remember that the soldiers executing commands operate with limited information. They're told as much as command wants to tell them, and that's it.

(Note that I draw a distinction between following orders in a combat situation and, say, administering "enhanced interrogation techniques" to prisoners of war.)

I'd be willing to bet you'd get breaking of the chain of command if he tried to get soldiers to bomb LA for refusing to kick out illegals but in foreign countries?

Nah

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Waffen wrote: »
    Marathon wrote: »

They did vote. They just happened to vote in a state that was, A. Blue, and B. Has less value than someone who lives in say, North Dakota.

I bet you a lot of people who were protesting yesterday were unable to vote due to a variety of circumstances.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

Alt-Right, Alt-Facts, Alt-President.

Think I just found my next protest sign.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Conway also sounded like there was going to be a purge of the intelligence community.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/22/donald-trump-cia-speech-win-twitter-protests
    Appearing on ABC’s This Week on Sunday, senior Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway said it was time for the president “to put in his own security intelligence community” and added: “We really would prefer the intelligence community that’s going out the door to be much more respectful toward the president and his vision in moving forward.”

Well, that isn't ominous as fuck. It's only 9am and my coffee is going down like sawdust.

• Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »

I think I might have to steal that one from you.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    Waffen wrote: »
    Artereis wrote: »
    god he looks so miserable

Not as miserable as Melania, honestly. I can't remember the last time she's looked happy in public.

She is married to Trump so

Wanted to caveat off that. My wife has been pointing out to me that in all of their photo shoots/videos, she looks absolutely miserable. Maybe Donnie could become the first President to be divorced while serving in the White House.

During the election I heard something about her wanting to vote for Hillary or something, I know she did something with her fashion sense to passively show she was pissed off too. Don't blame you one bit, Melania.

Yeah, I find that my heart goes out to her every time she's photographed, even though I want to hate her just for being part of their deplorable clan. She just looks so damn sad all the time.

Looks like she elicits sympathy in the Obamas too:

qOe78VA.jpg

Omg this picture. :(

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Wait. Wait wait.

I missed this. Did that motherfucker actually put gold drapes in the oval? Jesus Christ.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    I am never going to stop caring about all the lies. Trump's group thinks they are important enough to threaten the press over.
    So far, so good. But we do not congratulate a schoolmaster on teaching that two and two make four, though we may, perhaps, congratulate him on having chosen his laudable vocation. Let us then say it was praiseworthy that Tarrou and so many others should have elected to prove that two and two make four rather than the contrary; but let us add that this good will of theirs was one that is shared by the schoolmaster and by all who have the same feelings as the schoolmaster, and, be it said to the credit of mankind, they are more numerous than one would think—such, anyhow, is the narrator's conviction. Needless to say, he can see quite clearly a point that could be made against him, which is that these men were risking their lives. But again and again there comes a time in history when the man who dares to say that two and two make four is punished with death.

The schoolteacher is well aware of this. And the question is not one of knowing what punishment or reward attends the making of this calculation. The question is that of knowing whether two and two do make four. For those of our townsfolk who risked their lives in this predicament the issue was whether or not plague was in their midst and whether or not they must fight against it.

Oh man please do this. Please try to fuck over the CIA.

Wait

*buys popcorn futures*

Ok, now do it.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »

Alt-F4

• Options

Wait

*buys popcorn futures*

Ok, now do it.

They're just shitting on Obama appointees,, but in a way that is terribly phrased because they are horrible at this.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Wait

*buys popcorn futures*

Ok, now do it.

Hes already insulted the secret service by using his own storm troopers whats one more?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Wait

*buys popcorn futures*

Ok, now do it.

They're just shitting on Obama appointees,, but in a way that is terribly phrased because they are horrible at this.

Especially given the totally not ironic accusations that the IC was fucking horrible for providing all that evidence that led to invading Iraq under Bush 2.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Wait

*buys popcorn futures*

Ok, now do it.

Especially given the totally not ironic accusations that the IC was fucking horrible for providing all that evidence that led to invading Iraq under Bush 2.

Those were mostly political appointees, iirc.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I captured this screenshot and am keeping it for posterity:
    y4qgSrk.jpg

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    "Alternative facts" is some "from my perspective the Jedi are evil"-level horseshit.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    "Alternative facts"

Which one has more oil?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    MOTHERFUCKERS I AM BACK.

princess-leia-protest-poster-ladies-who-design.jpg

Atomika on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    They'll throw Trump under the bus the moment they realize he's going to get them voted out of office.

The only thing they are more cowerdly about than the vote they can cast, is holding on to their seat.

They'll turn on him, and when they do his backlash is going make them all look even worse.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Man, the response so far is really injecting some much needed hopium, but then I think about how the next step in the fascist handbook is to allow/make something horrible happen and then solidify control when people are emotionally vulnerable.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    They'll throw Trump under the bus the moment they realize he's going to get them voted out of office.

The only thing they are more cowerdly about than the vote they can cast, is holding on to their seat.

They'll turn on him, and when they do his backlash is going make them all look even worse.

It will take time, and unrelenting pressure. Right now the midterms are ages away, so the relative cost of towing the line is minimal. It's important to remind them we won't forget everything they do, and throw it in their face at the ballot box.

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular

At that point it will all come down to who has the best alternative facts.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

Republican leaders aren't even bothering with the pretense of checks and balances at this point.

And this right here, far more than a Trump presidency, is why the power of our democracy is declining.

I fully expect this to be the norm from here on out. If such blatantly awful cabinet picks with numerous conflicts of interest and complete lack of actual expertise can get through because the Republican party is unwilling to actually perform a check on the executive, then obstructionism and rubber-stamping will be the norm.

They are cowards and hypocrites.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

Republican leaders aren't even bothering with the pretense of checks and balances at this point.

And this right here, far more than a Trump presidency, is why the power of our democracy is declining.

I fully expect this to be the norm from here on out. If such blatantly awful cabinet picks with numerous conflicts of interest and complete lack of actual expertise can get through because the Republican party is unwilling to actually perform a check on the executive, then obstructionism and rubber-stamping will be the norm.

The slow destruction of norms in an arms race between liberals and conservatives. It is the fall of the Roman Republic, whether Caeser crosses the Rubicon this decade or in five.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »

The slow destruction of norms in an arms race between liberals and conservatives. It is the fall of the Roman Republic, whether Caeser crosses the Rubicon this decade or in five.

It's worth pointing out that this is actually precisely the kind of administration Caesar crossed the Rubicon in order to fight.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

the next election is very safe for them but they might start turning on him in 2020, especially if they can find anyone with any charisma to run against him in the primary

This discussion has been closed.