Options

The Trump Administration Thread Is Now Happening

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    His own security force and now his own intelligence service

so is Trump literally creating his own brown shirt force?

Oh no, of course not

they won't wear brown

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Folllow-up:

They are airing them on CNN. My friend has apparently been seeing them all day.

XKxFo7f.jpg?1

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Oh no, of course not

they won't wear brown

Yellow shirts seems more like Trump's style.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    So Trump has the nuclear codes now right? Or is this one of those things which gets more officially handed over later in some capacity?

Like, it turns out one of the things which stops me sleeping at the moment is ongoing fear of waking up to find out he's done a surprise strike on Syria or something.

In fact I'm worried I'm going to wake up and find out it's even being contemplated openly.

I actually think it'd be very difficult for the US to do something like that. Despite the apparent response time, there are actually a lot of steps that have to be followed between the Pres saying 'go' and anything actually firing. The US has built its entire nuclear infrastructure around not using them.

Also if we nuked Syria we'd also be nuking Russian troops so odds are you wouldn't wake up. So there's that.

Although, not that I think he'll actually nuke anybody.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Folllow-up:

XKxFo7f.jpg?1

What's the end game here? Make people hate congress more? Require more money to compete in govt?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    I've sent Cornyn a letter about not confirming Sessions already but didn't they go to boyscouts or some shit together ugh

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    So Trump has the nuclear codes now right? Or is this one of those things which gets more officially handed over later in some capacity?

Like, it turns out one of the things which stops me sleeping at the moment is ongoing fear of waking up to find out he's done a surprise strike on Syria or something.

In fact I'm worried I'm going to wake up and find out it's even being contemplated openly.

I actually think it'd be very difficult for the US to do something like that. Despite the apparent response time, there are actually a lot of steps that have to be followed between the Pres saying 'go' and anything actually firing. The US has built its entire nuclear infrastructure around not using them.

One thing I read said the president basically gets a huge book of codes with several sections corresponding to the day of launch and certain other verification factors and has to personally look up enter each section in to start the process(to ensure someone does not just get one page and wait until that day to launch) and likened the entire process to programming a universal remote control to work with an off brand TV. If this is in any way true, given my own attempts to explain to my 70+ year old relatives how to program their remotes, and what we already know about Trump, there is almost no way he will ever be able to figure out how to work the thing, and thus will civilization be preserved.

Not gonna lie, this actually gives me hope, because as far as I can tell, Trump isn't smart enough to figure that kind of a thing out.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Taximes wrote: »

Oh no, of course not

they won't wear brown

Red hats.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

Oh no, of course not

they won't wear brown

Gold lamè seems more like Trump's style.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I've sent Cornyn a letter about not confirming Sessions already but didn't they go to boyscouts or some shit together ugh

is that what they're calling the rallies these days?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    That they keep inviting Conway shows you how deeply unserious TV news is. It's all about the show.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    It makes me nervous that the new administration and the republicans are so willing to wage a disinformation propagandistic campaign.

We need greater critical thinking now more than ever.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    It makes me nervous that the new administration and the republicans are so willing to wage a disinformation propagandistic campaign.

We need greater critical thinking now more than ever.

Bush admin on steroids.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    They must really be worried about Sessions being confirmed if they are buying ads pumping him up and asking people to call congressmen in support.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

?

I thought the US nuclear arsenal was designed the opposite way, for a quick strike. So there is very little turnaround between the president ordering a launch and the missiles firing.

They also run constant drills where the officers actually turning the key and launching the nuke don't know if it's a drill or the real thing.

They have, from their point of view, literally nuked Russia thousands of times.

Edit: When the order comes, only the Sec. of Defense (and maybe State)could stop it, but that's about it. Which would mean getting fired and replaced with the next guy that will follow the order.

That seems somewhat questionable. I doubt that "I've pretended to commit war crimes so many times that when I was actually ordered to commit war crimes I couldn't tell the difference" would hold up very well in a trial.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

Oh no, of course not

they won't wear brown

Red hats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redcap

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    I'd send letters, but I have Tammy Baldwin, who will already do what I'd ask her to do, and Ron Johnson, who will just ignore me anyway.

Actually, fuck it. Since this Packers game is just pissing me off right now I think I'll go write some hand written letters.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Xantomas wrote: »
    They must really be worried about Sessions being confirmed if they are buying ads pumping him up and asking people to call congressmen in support.

and/or, with all the seriously illegal shit they probably have in mind, they know they have to get someone who's properly "on side", will give orders to enforce it, and won't end up throwing them all in jail.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Folllow-up:

XKxFo7f.jpg?1

What's the end game here? Make people hate congress more? Require more money to compete in govt?

To counteract pressure to not confirm appointments.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    I think y'all are attributing more thought to this than is true. Thin-skinned Trump dislikes the reality he sees, commands Conway and Spicer to go out there and spin straw into gold. Conway's better at it than Spicer, but neither are doing a good job because they've been tasked with something impossible.

enlightenedbum makes a better point about the media bothering to entertain Conway at all, but they're still living in an old paradigm where, when you want an organization's opinion on something, you call their PR rep. The more important point is that the media isn't sitting for the crap, at least for now. There's a scenario where i could see them playing ball, but Trump and his team are too interested in negging people, and the best way to piss off the media is to poke at their pride. His twin needs to dominate, and to suppress *any* criticism, will prove his undoing. It's not enough that the media carried a shitton of water for him in the election, they still said bad stuff about him sometimes and that cannot stand. Any criticism is too much for Trump, and if the price of access will be "sit there while i tell you black is white, smile, and never ever say a word to challenge me," the media's not going to pay the price.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

Oh no, of course not

they won't wear brown

Gold lamè seems more like Trump's style.

Ill fitting suits made in Taiwan.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

?

I thought the US nuclear arsenal was designed the opposite way, for a quick strike. So there is very little turnaround between the president ordering a launch and the missiles firing.

President says launch, SecDef confirms the validity of the order, they're in the wind within 5 minutes.

Right, it does require secdef confirmation, and the secdef and vice president are instructed they can invoke the 25th amendment at that point if it is thought a strike is unwarranted.

IE instigate a coup. What a future we have to look forward to.

Not so much a coup. Initiating a first strike is insane, insanity is an incapacitating factor in regards to ability to carry out the duties of the presidency, 25th amendment states an incapacitated president may be relieved by consensus of cabinet and vice president, QED.

Hopefully Captain Yossarian is in the war room at the time.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular

No there aren't. As the person who (at one point in life) would have been the one to turn the key, I am quite familiar with the steps/actions that need to be taken.
    Accounting for the fact that there's a difference between T-dog randomly saying "What a goose, let's nuke them" and him actually making it an order...
    If he were to give the order "Nuke [city/building/orphanage/whatever he wants]" there are about 3 steps. And that's assuming it's not a target we already made plans to potentially have to nuke.
    If it were a [target] that we already have plans for (like it's "targeting package Purple Monkey Orphanage") it's 1 step between him and the key turn.
    This is what keeps me awake at nights.

Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
  • Options

?

They also run constant drills where the officers actually turning the key and launching the nuke don't know if it's a drill or the real thing.

Edit: When the order comes, only the Sec. of Defense (and maybe State)could stop it, but that's about it. Which would mean getting fired and replaced with the next guy that will follow the order.

We know the difference.
    It's like the difference between firing on a firing range, and firing a weapon at a person/animal you're hunting.
    The physical actions you take are exactly the same.
    But you know that at the range nobody dies.
    War Games didn't get it quite right.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

No there aren't. As the person who (at one point in life) would have been the one to turn the key, I am quite familiar with the steps/actions that need to be taken.
    Accounting for the fact that there's a difference between T-dog randomly saying "What a goose, let's nuke them" and him actually making it an order...
    If he were to give the order "Nuke [city/building/orphanage/whatever he wants]" there are about 3 steps. And that's assuming it's not a target we already made plans to potentially have to nuke.
    If it were a [target] that we already have plans for (like it's "targeting package Purple Monkey Orphanage") it's 1 step between him and the key turn.

Well, luckily, he has hotels in most of the places that are probably pre-determined.

• Options

So are the people saying that you didn't know if you were running drills or the real thing correct?

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    So Merriam-Webster's Twitter account currently has the definition of "fact" as their pinned tweet...

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular

Elaborate on this because I really need some hope at the moment.
    A thread or two back people were explaining that there really is nothing keeping Trump for giving the go.
    I want to know what checks there are, if any.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Fun thought:
    Because the military tries to think of everything (including scenarios like "alien invasion" and "zombie apocalypse"), there is very likely to be, somewhere in that big book of targeting packages, one for our own major cities.
    Sleep tight!

• Options

So are the people saying that you didn't know if you were running drills or the real thing correct?

They were 100% incorrect. VERY RARELY there would be SECURITY RESPONSE drills that not everyone knew it was the real thing. By this I mean "we have indications that someone is trespassing on the missile site" type of security response drill. But even security response drills, a majority of the time, started with the phrase "exercise exercise exercise".
    There are two parts to turning the key. (I'm truncating a lot here, but I'm going for clarity without breaking Security Clearance).
    Part one is "receive message that could be a launch order, or it could be your buddy sending you a dick pic" (no seriously, it happens).
    That part happens a lot. Because they want to make sure that someone is always awake and ready. There's a lot of messages that aren't launch orders. In fact, historically we have never sent a single launch order. You'd know. So technically, that part the person "never knows" until they actually look at the message.
    Then there's the "turn the key that makes things go whoosh boom".
    That part ONLY happens on the firing range (a.k.a. practice area) not in the actual launch consoles. You know 100% that the physical action cannot in any way launch a missile. The same way that if/when the time comes you know that the physical action WILL launch a missile. They don't fuck around with the launchy bit.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Fun thought:
    Because the military tries to think of everything (including scenarios like "alien invasion" and "zombie apocalypse"), there is very likely to be, somewhere in that big book of targeting packages, one for our own major cities.
    Sleep tight!

Yeah but on the other hand, Crime in Chicago will be way down!

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Honestly at this point I'm waiting for every embassy to be moved to a local Trump property.

With, of course, taxpayer-paid security upgrades necessary for a United States Government Diplomatic Facility (that still says TRUMP on it in big gold letters).

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    There are not enough checks. That's why electing a maniac to the presidency is a bad idea.

Note that if Trump gives the order to use nuclear weapons, it's not going to be something random like "Nuke Sweden, their PM said something horrible about me. " What will happen is that Trump gets us mired in some horrible war that grinds on forever and no progress is being made. The armed forces are getting ground down by having their limbs blown off by IEDs and the people there loathe us. So Trump gets mad and decides that Japan surrendered pretty quickly after the nukes went off and gives the order to nuke the biggest mass of enemy resistance to teach them a lesson. The armed forces, who by now despise whatever this country is, and want to get out, don't put up much resistance.

• Options

They were 100% incorrect. VERY RARELY there would be SECURITY RESPONSE drills that not everyone knew it was the real thing. By this I mean "we have indications that someone is trespassing on the missile site" type of security response drill. But even security response drills, a majority of the time, started with the phrase "exercise exercise exercise".
    There are two parts to turning the key. (I'm truncating a lot here, but I'm going for clarity without breaking Security Clearance).
    Part one is "receive message that could be a launch order, or it could be your buddy sending you a dick pic" (no seriously, it happens).
    That part happens a lot. Because they want to make sure that someone is always awake and ready. There's a lot of messages that aren't launch orders. In fact, historically we have never sent a single launch order. You'd know. So technically, that part the person "never knows" until they actually look at the message.
    Then there's the "turn the key that makes things go whoosh boom".
    That part ONLY happens on the firing range (a.k.a. practice area) not in the actual launch consoles. You know 100% that the physical action cannot in any way launch a missile. The same way that if/when the time comes you know that the physical action WILL launch a missile. They don't fuck around with the launchy bit.

You know, that makes me feel a lot better about things. Thanks.

Also this:

Is hilarious.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    What happens if Trump sends a dick pic that has "send nukes" scrawled on it in MS paint?

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017

?

We know the difference.
    It's like the difference between firing on a firing range, and firing a weapon at a person/animal you're hunting.
    The physical actions you take are exactly the same.
    But you know that at the range nobody dies.
    War Games didn't get it quite right.

Ok, good. I was just going off of media reports regarding the drills, but I'm glad to know the men and women turning the key know when it's a drill and not.

Edit: Stupid draft

Veevee on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    What happens if Trump sends a dick pic that has "send nukes" scrawled on it in MS paint?

Say it was a hack on the basis his is bigger.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    There are not enough checks. That's why electing a maniac to the presidency is a bad idea.

Note that if Trump gives the order to use nuclear weapons, it's not going to be something random like "Nuke Sweden, their PM said something horrible about me. " What will happen is that Trump gets us mired in some horrible war that grinds on forever and no progress is being made. The armed forces are getting ground down by having their limbs blown off by IEDs and the people there loathe us. So Trump gets mad and decides that Japan surrendered pretty quickly after the nukes went off and gives the order to nuke the biggest mass of enemy resistance to teach them a lesson. The armed forces, who by now despise whatever this country is, and want to get out, don't put up much resistance.

This is where my completely opinion based opinion disagrees with you. Opinion.
    When it was Obama at the helm, I would have agreed with you. I reassured all of my friends and family that "the only way the key will turn is if something is big in the news (either massive single event, or super long also massive somethingorother) and politicians and civilians and political allies alike are all demanding we use it."
    With Cheeto Von-Goosington in charge, I have to doubt it will be the same level of restraint. Look at his history as a person and a leader. He literally has a list of people he wants to get back at. He has shown no restraint. He has shown no respect for humanity or life or his fellow man. I have no reason whatsoever to expect him to hold back from being a bully with everything in his power, should he decide to do so. I just...I honestly just hope he gets impeached or something before his trigger finger gets too itchy.

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

They will most likely need very precise coordinates to nuke a dick.

The next message will most likely be " my bad, that was supposed to go to the doctor".

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Once you get past the top brass military you can't rely on people to disobey such an order since they wouldn't know if there was a real threat or not.

You tell the person who turns the keys to nuke NK they'll likely have no idea if there's ICBMS already inbound for the US or not. you can't rely on someone in that situation to disobey.

This discussion has been closed.