As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Trump Administration Thread Is Now Happening

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Gundi wrote: »
    Conway is a mercenary. I don't know why people feel sympathy for her. She joined for the money and is staying on for the power.

I can't entirely blame her for staying on, she can see the writing on the wall.

She could be the next Eva Braun if she plays her cards right.

I think Trump likes 'em a bit younger.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    On a somewhat random note, I find the European far-right's embrace of Trump (and vice-versa) a little strange. Human, but strange. I really fail to see why Europeans would think that a supposedly American-FIRST Trump administration would be good for Europeans, and similarly how a <European nation>-FIRST revolution across Europe would be good for America. It would seem highly irrational and contrary to one's own interests/objectives.

That being said, I don't find it unusual. We're talking about a group of people that misperceived their relative positions in the world and have pscyhologically placed themselves in the role of rebellious outsiders fighting a more powerful world order, when in reality they're probably much closer to the traditional world order than most - even within the context of the Western world, they're still all rich, white folk who've inherited enormous wealth from their parents - and have otherwise been derided for much of their lives, so seeking support and validation of their accomplishments makes sense. I just can't help but note that this seems likely to result in something similar to the Sino-Russian split at some point, as the "Communists" realise that they actually hold opposing positions.

Still, I wonder how much of this is driven by 1) the unique nature of the Internet, and 2) state-sponsored propaganda. The conflicting nationalist-transnational nature of their support base is so full of inherent contradiction, it remains difficult to believe that it arises naturally. How can nationalists in one nation cheer nationalists in another nation? Why would French and British and German nationalists cheer nationalism in the other nations, when such nationalism has traditionally manifested in conflict between them??? Yay, the US is going to withdraw from NATO leaving us underequipped and undefended? ?????????

Edit: Need to add, those "rich white folk" I refer to are the leaders of these neo-nationalist movements, and not so much their followers.

I think the magic connection here is Putin. He's funding their groups and supplying them with propaganda that causes them to see other fascists as an international brotherhood. This is in his interests. He doesn't want fascism to overtake Europe and then turn on him. He wants each country run by an ultranationalist party that has loyalty to him and sees him as fuhrer.

The problem here is that, once they end up in power, they owe him probably nothing AND might need a scapegoat

You'd think that would be a problem but fascists genuinely like other fascists. They can bond over kicking in the heads of gay people, feminists, Jews, black people and Muslims.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    bJC7AHt.jpg

This is being shared around on FB made by a hilarious lady named Johannah

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    gripgrip Registered User regular
    Wacky alternative theory on Conway: the Russian allegations are much deeper and more damning than anyone outside of Washington knows, and Conway thinks that the best way to keep them from coming to light is to stay on and keep the administration afloat.

This post is a joint production of fatigue and nothing being impossible anymore.

www.goodbyecody.com
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    conway IS putin

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Conway is a mercenary. I don't know why people feel sympathy for her. She joined for the money and is staying on for the power.

And also money.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

I can't entirely blame her for staying on, she can see the writing on the wall.

She could be the next Eva Braun if she plays her cards right.

Heck when she join up it was her looking at a steaming dumpster fire of a candidates and saying "I can get this elected"

It's not like she signed on not knowing what to expect

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Nahetyanu wants the US to move the embassy to Jerusalem because the inevitable outbreak of violence would make it a lot easier to justify anti Palestinian violence to his own people and the US.

Gundi on
  • Options
    I don't understand anything about why they want to move the embassy but I saw how negative and possibly violent the reactions will be and well

it's fucked up that we can take an action that will illicit violent response and then act like it's not our fault at all. I really can't understand a view of the world that basically says "yeah, try it!" when people say 'hey you're doing something that really upsets us and we may fight you'

who wants to fight that badly over nothing? or at least, something I view as nothing, which I guess is the point.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I don't understand anything about why they want to move the embassy but I saw how negative and possibly violent the reactions will be and well

it's fucked up that we can take an action that will illicit violent response and then act like it's not our fault at all. I really can't understand a view of the world that basically says "yeah, try it!" when people say 'hey you're doing something that really upsets us and we may fight you'

who wants to fight that badly over nothing? or at least, something I view as nothing, which I guess is the point.

Yup its a pure dick move.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    who wants to fight that badly over nothing?

nahetyanu

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    august wrote: »

"What would your brother say?"
    "My brother would say the crowds were larger on Friday."
    "My brother would say the CIA cheered wildly for the President's speech."

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://www.politico.com/blogs/donald-trump-administration/2017/01/breitbart-writer-expected-to-join-white-house-staff-234016
    Julia Hahn, a staff writer at Breitbart News, is expected to join the White House – a move that further underscores Breitbart’s influence in the new administration.

According to two sources briefed on the move, Hahn’s title will be special assistant to the president and she is expected to primarily work under White House chief strategist Steve Bannon, himself a former key player at Breitbart. Prior to joining Trump’s campaign, Bannon, an outspoken populist and member of the president’s inner circle, was chairman of the conservative website.

[...]
    There is no way the multiple factions people are building under Trump don't start fighting.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    So Trump has the nuclear codes now right? Or is this one of those things which gets more officially handed over later in some capacity?

Like, it turns out one of the things which stops me sleeping at the moment is ongoing fear of waking up to find out he's done a surprise strike on Syria or something.

In fact I'm worried I'm going to wake up and find out it's even being contemplated openly.

He was instructed on how the football works at around 8am on the 20th IIRC, and as soon as he took his hand off the make Lincoln spin in his grave button Lincoln's bible, the football and actual codes were in his presence and his to use.

So what's the betting that since he's, "like, a smart person", he didn't need (ahem) the briefing on how the nuclear football works?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.politico.com/blogs/donald-trump-administration/2017/01/breitbart-writer-expected-to-join-white-house-staff-234016
    Julia Hahn, a staff writer at Breitbart News, is expected to join the White House – a move that further underscores Breitbart’s influence in the new administration.

According to two sources briefed on the move, Hahn’s title will be special assistant to the president and she is expected to primarily work under White House chief strategist Steve Bannon, himself a former key player at Breitbart. Prior to joining Trump’s campaign, Bannon, an outspoken populist and member of the president’s inner circle, was chairman of the conservative website.

[...]
    There is no way the multiple factions people are building under Trump don't start fighting.

Perhaps he wants that?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    http://www.avclub.com/article/trumps-new-press-secretary-five-year-running-feud--248859

Your White House press secretary, everyone.

sdas09S.jpg?1

This is legit. Legit insane.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »

[...]

Perhaps he wants that?

I dunno, but I don't lend credence that he was able to deliberately set it up

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

[...]

I hope that happens and I hope when the ship starts to leak it is glorious. I mean, I guess everyone has NDA's but I also guess that they aren't very enforceable. As soon as one or two people break the entire thing could fall apart.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Has anything good ever come out of Twitter?

To be clear I am not being facetious with that question.

• Options
    moniker wrote: »

Watching the Green Revolution through it was quite the experience

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

Parts of the Arab Spring?

• Options

it's been used to communicate in a lot of times of crisis around the world, I think that's probably the leading good because anything related to spreading important news quickly is countered by the spreading of fake news.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017

Well, Emily Wong's live updates of the Reaper invasion were pretty good.

Oh, you meant in non-fictional universes? Yeah, I got nothing.

Orca on
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Also, Comey just paid a visit to the WH.

leaked footage of the meeting:

maxresdefault.jpg

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    http://www.avclub.com/article/trumps-new-press-secretary-five-year-running-feud--248859

Your White House press secretary, everyone.

sdas09S.jpg?1

This is legit. Legit insane.

wow.. I mean he's not wrong dippin dots are bullshit.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

Yes, the unfiltered gut reactions of people, especially people in power.

I think it is very important that Trump keep tweeting horrible things because every tweet is just another reminder and advertisement of the fact that he's not changing.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm legit curious about the metadata on Trump's tweets. During the election, it was fairly obvious to see which were him and which were campaign staff. It appears that he has chosen to keep using his personal twitter account instead of @POTUS, yet I thought I heard he got a new phone from the intelligence community. I wouldn't think they would let him use twitter on that thing...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I'm legit curious about the metadata on Trump's tweets. During the election, it was fairly obvious to see which were him and which were campaign staff. It appears that he has chosen to keep using his personal twitter account instead of @POTUS, yet I thought I heard he got a new phone from the intelligence community. I wouldn't think they would let him use twitter on that thing...

Just because he has a new phone doesn't mean he's using it for tweeting ridiculous things.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

[...]

Perhaps he wants that?

It is a kind of management technique. Get your subordinates busy fighting themselves rather than you and you can reap the rewards of any successes and eliminate the weak. A strategy honed over centuries by the Sith, I believe.

• Options

[...]

Perhaps he wants that?

It is a kind of management technique. Get your subordinates busy fighting themselves rather than you and you can reap the rewards of any successes and eliminate the weak. A strategy honed over centuries by the Sith, I believe.

Oh I don't doubt it's a viable, just whether Trump could see it through without tripping over his need to dominate or something.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Well, Emily Wong's live updates of the Reaper invasion were pretty good.

Oh, you meant in non-fictional universes? Yeah, I got nothing.

Which is probably only good for people who have or follow Twitter and those who didn't care how it turned out.

• Options

[...]

Perhaps he wants that?

Oh I don't doubt it's a viable, just whether Trump could see it through without tripping over his need to dominate or something.

That's just it. Trump is exactly the kind of manager who want his subordinates fighting for his attention and approval. Having never ever watched an episode of The Apprentice, I feel safe stating that that's what the show basically was.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I captured this screenshot and am keeping it for posterity:
    y4qgSrk.jpg

Okay this is many pages late, but I think the bigger issue here is that it is -102 degrees wherever you are

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    y4qgSrk.jpg

Okay this is many pages late, but I think the bigger issue here is that it is -102 degrees wherever you are

What?

It's 33 degrees

Temperature isn't displayed in the upper left of an iPhone

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

[...]

Perhaps he wants that?

Don't you dare lump me in with this pack o' bastards.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    y4qgSrk.jpg

What?

It's 33 degrees

Not sure what those numbers are supposed to represent

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    How the fuck did we get here? If we had to have a raging narcissist as the US president again, why couldn't he have been more like LBJ instead of an orange lunatic?

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    y4qgSrk.jpg

What?

It's 33 degrees

Not sure what those numbers are supposed to represent

It's signal strength. It's always negative, and I believe the range is -40 to -130. Higher (as in closer to zero) is better.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Trump call with Netanyahu "went very well", discussions begin on moving embassy in Israel.

Also, Comey just paid a visit to the WH.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VRwTiQWoXU

This discussion has been closed.