Options

Ralph Nader Appreciation Thread [Cars]

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaYFLb8WMGM

And now I'm hooked on car testing videos from the Netherlands.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Moose test! Love it!

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    What's the chicken tax?

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    It's a retaliatory 25% tariff that was put on imported potato starch, dextrin, brandy, and light trucks by LBJ in the 60s because some European countries put a high tariff on imported US chicken. The light trucks part was a sweetheart deal with the UAW to prevent them from striking and to protect US automakers who couldn't compete. It's been removed from everything but light trucks. It's why all the trucks in that video aren't sold in the US, because they'd be 25% more expensive the second they touched land. It's also why the Subaru Brat had two rear-facing seats with belts, to qualify as a passenger car, and why Ford imports its Transit Connect vans from Turkey with rear seats and windows, then rips out the seats and replaces the windows with metal panels. It's cheaper to destroy parts and reconfigure a vehicle than it is to pay the import tax.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Why does it still exist with light trucks? Also when can we get an updated Subaru Brat :D

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    mollehmolleh Registered User regular
    Not sure if people have any interest in this type of thing here, but here is my turbocharged 93 Thunderbird SC (yes, a factory supercharged 3.8 V6 that we converted to a single turbo system)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gsZYiXCojA

• Options
    Why does it still exist with light trucks? Also when can we get an updated Subaru Brat :D

Protectionism. Higher union labor costs coupled with kind of sucking at building a quality light truck means US auto makers can't compete with German and Japanese.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    I guess I should have phrased the question as "Why does this protectionism still exist? Is it just still on light trucks because of historical reasons or are we still really that bad at producing light trucks? It seems arbitrary to be applied just to trucks."
    Says the Cow who owns a 1986 Toyota pickup

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Kind of a mix of both, coupled with the fact that fuel prices meant there wasn't a real drawback to buying a full-size truck over a light truck, and US automakers are good at full size trucks. You didn't see a real push for 20+ mpg trucks until gas went up to $3ish. Basically bringing in a lower price, more fuel efficient slightly smaller foreign truck would start to disrupt the large US truck market.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Yeah, the prevailing theory is that the profit margins on large trucks is really awesome. But they couldn't convince people to pay the same margins on compact trucks, so they stopped making them. One of the reasons I'm not really interesting in buying a truck is that they've all morphed into something monstrous. I don't need anything the size of an F-150. I don't even need something the size that "compact" trucks have swelled into.

Give me something the size of an old Ranger or S-10 with a 2.3L Ecoboost and I'll be happy.

Hell, bring a Ute over from Australian and I'll be even happier.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    Volkswagen Amarok with the new 3 litre TDI. It's my white whale.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    It occurs to me that some of the larger American pickups could only be driven in Europe by someone with a category C licence or equivalent (vehicles weighing more than 3500kg but less than 7500kg), which most people don't have.

Dodge Ram and Ford F250 appear to fall into that category but I don't know how popular they are relative to the likes of the F150, Tacoma, etc.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    The F-250 is more a work/construction vehicle. Most would depend on the configuration though, the regular cab RAM 1500 weighs around 5000 pounds. I have a 1500 with the full 4 person crew cab that weighs about 6100 pounds.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    It occurs to me that some of the larger American pickups could only be driven in Europe by someone with a category C licence or equivalent (vehicles weighing more than 3500kg but less than 7500kg), which most people don't have.

Dodge Ram and Ford F250 appear to fall into that category but I don't know how popular they are relative to the likes of the F150, Tacoma, etc.

A lot of pickup truck models are really targeted at people who use them for work. The vast majority of the US landmass is still taken up by areas with a lot of farming, excavation, etc. even if most of the population is clustered around cities now.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    The F250 is probably the most popular 3/4ton out there. I can't even tell you how many I see on a daily basis being driven around as just personal vehicles by people. Most of them are packing the PSD of course. Pretty sure I see more F250s than I do Tundras and Titans combined.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    The 3/4 ton trucks (F250/Silverado 2500/Ram 2500) are really popular among people towing boats and campers. I know several people who have them.

It's not much more expensive than a half ton and offers much better payload/tongue weight capacity.

EDIT: As far as compact trucks go, I had a 2000 Ranger 4x4. It's an absolutely wonderful little truck, but there's no way it would be practical for me anymore. Once you have two kids, an extended cab full size starts being a minimum requirement. I was pretty excited about the new Colorado, especially the diesel, but once you factor in the tiny price difference compared to the much more capable Silverado it becomes a really hard sell. I could see high demand for a compact truck in a dense city, but here in the midwest vehicle size is a non-issue.

mRahmani on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    The 3/4 ton trucks (F250/Silverado 2500/Ram 2500) are really popular among people towing boats and campers. I know several people who have them.

It's not much more expensive than a half ton and offers much better payload/tongue weight capacity.

From what I remember when I was looking to get us a new work truck that was going to do a bunch of heavy towing, Ram is the only one that offers their diesel in the 1/2 ton category, and its only on the Tradesmen, which is the "work vehicle" version as far as options and stuff go. And if I have boat owning cash, and also am buying a a 35K+ truck, I'm probably spending the extra cash to get nice seats and better audio and all that stuff.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    mRahmani wrote: »

From what I remember when I was looking to get us a new work truck that was going to do a bunch of heavy towing, Ram is the only one that offers their diesel in the 1/2 ton category, and its only on the Tradesmen, which is the "work vehicle" version as far as options and stuff go. And if I have boat owning cash, and also am buying a a 35K+ truck, I'm probably spending the extra cash to get nice seats and better audio and all that stuff.

Actually, the diesel in the 1/2ton Dodge is vastly different from the diesel offered in the 3/4ton. The "EcoDiesel" in the 1/2ton can be optioned up in any trim level.

Steam
  • Options
    Resurrecting the thread with an actual resurrection.

http://www.worldwide-auctioneers.com/auctions/details.cfm?vehicleID=18&id=57

35.jpg

I still can't understand how someone parks a car like that for 45 years and just lets it rot.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    It's an old british car in america. It probably broke down one final time and the owner said the hell with fixing the damn thing again.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    It's an old british car in america. It probably broke down one final time and the owner said the hell with fixing the damn thing again.

Sell it!!!

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    is that an aston martin?

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

Sell it!!!

He still can! (and get new, uninflated dollars for a rare oldtimer...which i think will be more that what he would have gotten selling it when it broke down)

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    It's a DB4.

It's worth $400,000-500,000.

In that condition.

Heck when they parked it there at some point in the 70s it was probably already worth in the high 5, low 6 figures.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    So this is sad. The Mastermilo guys had their whole shop burn down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpskOwLvAoc

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoHbn8-ROiQ

Two things I take away from this video. 1, the Hilux is terrible at cornering. 2, I'd vote Trump if he said he'd end the chicken tax on light trucks because I'd buy every truck in that video if they'd just sell them in the US. Minus the Hilux of course.

Sigh...I'm still going to buy another tacoma over the rest of those trucks.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
  • Options
    What. The. Fuck.
    Those guys have way too much time on their hands and they also have no hearing left.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Two things I take away from this video. 1, the Hilux is terrible at cornering. 2, I'd vote Trump if he said he'd end the chicken tax on light trucks because I'd buy every truck in that video if they'd just sell them in the US. Minus the Hilux of course.

Hiluxes are often nicknamed Rolluxes in Australia, I'm sure you don't need that explained. The good news is that Tacomas and Hiluxes are different chassis, and the Tacoma seems to be much less roll-prone than the Hilux.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Love my Taco more and more every day.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttl-kF8Rbuo

Can't afford the $35m for one of the five existing 1959 250 TR's, so he finds a body in Italy that was never installed, scours the world for authentic parts, and builds one of his own.

The whole thing is amazing, but specifically 3:05 and 7:20.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Your car is all Fiat parts, mine's Ferrari parts. XD

Steam
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    My wife and I bought a car today. First car either of us have ever owned that wasnt a beater bought from a friend or inherited from someone. We got a 2016 Kia soul. My wife picked it out after online research, it seems pretty alright. Definitely better than the 91 Mazda van she was driving until it broke down.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    tumblr_olu6czg2zH1ry0ke6o1_540.jpg

Little buffing and that will come right out.

• Options
    stormbringerstormbringer Registered User regular
    I bought a solid Miata to build into a spec Miata to race one weekends where the ACR is banned due to noise.

Will start in the cage and paintwork next weekend once all my supplies show up.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Man watching all these Cadillac commercials during the oscars has made me really wish the Escala wasn't just a concept car.

cadillac-esacla-concept-masthead-1280x372.jpg

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    It's the new Cadilaudacura.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    So, I've had my 2009 Impreza over 7 years now and the first reliability problem has surfaced. The driver side rear door lock doesn't respond to the unlock command - it has to be toggled manually.

Annoying, but p good that it's the only issue I've had over 7 years.

It does mean that IT HAS BEGUN and I'll probably start finding little things here and there. My finances aren't there for a new car yet, so hopefully it's still pretty problem free at least 3 more years.

• Options
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/bullitt-mustang-found/

Sitting in a Mexican junkyard. Now they just have to figure out where the one in private hands went.

mustang01-640x0.jpg

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Geez the new 2017 Civic Type R looks overly aggressive

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/pictures/honda-civic-type-r-2017-geneva-motor-show/34/

2017-type-r-teaser-social-share-1200.jpg

2017-Honda-Civic-Type-R-front-view-e1439206311556.jpeg

This discussion has been closed.