Options

The Last Jedi Teaser can be seen right now in the [Star Wars] thread

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    On the subject of the Star Wars soundtrack, I'm listening to a really great show on Rebel Force Radio talking all about the soundtrack called Star Wars Oxygen

They do some deep dives into each movie, and there's been some really fascinating stuff!

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    On the subject of the Star Wars soundtrack, I'm listening to a really great show on Rebel Force Radio talking all about the soundtrack called Star Wars Oxygen

They do some deep dives into each movie, and there's been some really fascinating stuff!

I am here for this

• Options
    edited January 2017

I am here for this

There have been times when I've literally had to pause it because they've revealed something crazy

For example, in the last episode I listened to, they were starting to talk about RotJ, and the music expert talked about how he discovered that Luke and Leia's theme is actually based on the first 5 notes of the main theme

And then they got into the fact that the theme actually follows the hero's journey structure just like the movies themselves do

Etchwarts on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Ceno wrote: »
    Saw an article today that Rian Johnson has only now just been able to complete the title crawl for Ep VIII due to the reveal.

I'm so dang excited for what Rian Johnson might do with a starwars dark middle chapter

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I don't think you can get that again

There's only one first good Star Wars movie in 30 years

After feeling really burned by the prequels the Clone Wars cartoon movie was look we promise it's good and will not be bad
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh3P3DoZZh4

John Williams.

His score can make me pumped for even the mess that was TCW the film.

I don't know how Star Wars would have fared without him.

If you want to know, look at what even the good Star Wars movies were like without it. e.g. the throne room scene at the end of ANH

https://youtu.be/Tj-GZJhfBmI

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I will never forget the time somebody posted that and somebody else went "what's the big deal, so Chewie's voice sounded a little off, that was probably an accident"

just thinking about it makes me have to sit down

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    That was me! I am still of the opinion that it is dumb, I demand fidelity in goofy scene-but-with-X-removed videos.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I have to sit down again

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I showed that to @Tonkka one night at @Thanatos's place after out a bar for @Seattle Thread's birthday party, and we both lost our shit laughing for several minutes straight.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    But that's not just minus Williams, it's pretty much minus all score. Throw on some Bill Conti or Hans Zimmerman for a comparison of another oscar winner.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Greg Rucka is writing a novel starring Chirrut and Baze about the fall of their temple

Yup yes I will read that

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Greg Rucka is writing a novel starring Chirrut and Baze about the fall of their temple

Yup yes I will read that

Holy shit, is that a story I'm interested in

I am all about that side of The Force

Etchwarts on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    If I can ever get my gaggle of Star Wars ladies back to the table, I totally want to see how they do if I spin their crew as a bunch of dark side cultists via Force and Destiny.

(They'll probably love it since when we played awhile back they were jumping headlong into the Dark Side anyways)

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have that Fiend Folio in my office.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    whoops

Shadowen on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular

I am here for this

There have been times when I've literally had to pause it because they've revealed something crazy

For example, in the last episode I listened to, they were starting to talk about RotJ, and the music expert talked about how he discovered that Luke and Leia's theme is actually based on the first 5 notes of the main theme

And then they got into the fact that the theme actually follows the hero's journey structure just like the movies themselves do

I'm just getting into the episode V stuff and this is musical nerd heroin for me. Thanks for the tip!

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Finally getting back to my Clone Wars series watch with season 3. I think that might be when the show really hit its stride.

The origin story of the batch of clone troopers we got to know in previous seasons is segued flawlessly into the Battle of Kamino; the story of 99, as well as Fives and company, seems tailor-made to punch me in the gut. But always under the triumphal scores and scenes of bravery and battle are the hints of what's to come. Anakin telling Ventress he was planning on just letting a battalion of angry clones murder her, for one.

And then it's followed by a Jar-Jar episode. And all this while Ryloth is cut off by Separatist blockade and starving. Clone Wars, stop. Staaahp. And they throw a heaping helping of racist Neimodian accents in for good measure. Though as I think I said back at the very start of the series, with the Yoda/Toydaria story, it's nice to see a species not be defined by the stereotype of the first example we see of them, and Jar Jar's involvement was kept to what he's best at--a deliberately-annoying distraction. Also, Ima-Gun Di might have finally lived up to his name, but he did it well.

Clone Wars does politics better than the prequels did, at least, but that's not saying much. That said, these days I am down for politics stories where the good guys work around the system because the system is ineffective, corrupt, or broken, so several episodes of that in a row I don't mind. (I think given the first two seasons, and indeed the first two episodes of season 3, I'm surprised there's so much talking going on in season 3, and once I adjusted it became much more palatable.) And in the Pantaran episode, the stun blaster made its return, so that was cool too. It's also interesting when you notice some voice actors getting double duty on an episode, especially when each role requires a different accent. It's a small moment, but I'll say I was struck by how it seems Mandalorian schools resemble the all-white interiors of Kamino buildings (and the interior of Leia's ship, for that matter)...

I'm beginning to think the greatest strength of Clone Wars isn't so much the writing and characters and art design, though all are quite good, but the order of episodes, of all things. When they go with an anachronic order they get, for example, the episode with the cadets followed by the episode where the surviving cadets, now soldiers, come back to defend Kamino. And while there are relatively few actual multiparters, some episodes clearly take place one after the other, and they manage to build on the stories and themes of the previous episodes very well.

Anyway, the way Ziro's arc ended up was kind of hilarious (and not just because of Quinlan Vos), and in counterpoint to season 2's story that had Onaconda in it, Padme does something I don't think anyone else managed to do in the prequel era: she actually delivered a setback (though not a defeat) to Palpatine by stopping the Republic from stepping up their war efforts for a while longer. It's kind of fitting that this story (which takes place back when there was still a lot more hope, because e.g. Onaconda was still alive) is the last political one before the action-heavier stories start up again, reminding everyone that while the pew-pew and vzzt-zmm are fun to watch they all ultimately point to Palpatine's victory, regardless of who wins the fights.

But at this point a spanner gets thrown in the works, because darksiders gonna darkside, and suddenly there are more than two sides in the war--at least, in the one behind the scenes. And to my immense surprise, despite his stupid, stupid name, Savage Opress gets more characterization in a single episode than Grievous, Maul, and maybe even Dooku combined did in the movies. And I love how the lightsaber fights became shifting three-way battles with the endless double-crosses with Ventress being betrayed and Opress going rogue. The fact that Palpatine either didn't account for that and still won or saw it coming and accounted for it only amplifies just how much fate seems to have been on his side.

And after my favorite action arc of the whole series thus far comes some really good Force-as-mysticism stuff, including the "Jedi can be really short-sighted". The Mortis Arc reminds me almost of Legend in the way it tried to tell a story that was very nearly a fable--which the main characters of this war adventure story stumbled into. It's also interesting how it seemed to deal with the prophecy, and it has nothing to do with the Sith/Jedi war.

On to the Citadel arc. I do like the idea of the Citadel as an installation, because it makes sense the Jedi would eventually get around to constructing a prison that can hold a dark Jedi long-term, after what exile resulted in (i.e., the Sith and thousands of years of on-again off-again war). It gives weight to the idea that the Jedi have been around a long time and have learned from at least some of their mistakes. And oh hello Tarkin. And once again, for those who know about what happens, the data getting back to the Republic just means it's available for Palpatine to allow the Separatist fleet to ambush Coruscant at the start of episode 3. To say nothing of how the galaxy might have been better off if Tarkin were to have died there.

Oh look the Most Dangerous Game. With teenagers as the prey. Did I mention Clone Wars throws shockingly dark sometimes? And while I liked the cameo, and it fit the story they were telling, it did feel a bit gratuitous. Still and all, a good story, well-told, even if they didn't hit back at "You murdered my son!" hard enough. "He died because of his own actions"? No, "Murder's the wrong word. I killed him in self-defense so he wouldn't fucking skin me as a trophy."

And like the first two seasons, the season finale doesn't feel like a season finale, though Ahsoka getting a story where she gets to be an awesome leader all by herself is kind of a graduation moment.

On to season 4! Hail Netflix!

Shadowen on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    "tl, dr"

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    "tl, dr"

Man don't be like that. Read it or don't. All you're doing is shitting on someone putting in time on a worthwhile post.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Well, you went and posted those amazing TFA trailers so now I have to post this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVl4MYER0Zc

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I did read it, it is an awesome level of fandom, I was drunk and trying to make a joke

Apologies @Shadowen

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind going in blind, but realistically I'm going to see the trailer like twenty times in trailers before it comes out, and seeing the trailer for the first time in a big screen is pretty cool. (I did this for the second trailer of the force awakens and the second one of rogue one.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Well, you went and posted those amazing TFA trailers so now I have to post this.

Han Solo having flashbacks should contain vastly more Leia

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »

Han Solo having flashbacks should contain vastly more Leia

Fair enough.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Took my father to see Rogue One while I was in Louisiana. He almost missed seeing it in theaters altogether, the first time we'd have failed to see Star Wars as a family. SilverWind was with us, which made things a bit more expansive than they would have been otherwise.

It's pretty interesting the energizing or even healing effect that a movie like that can have; things are tense in my family, they've always been tense, but I don't know that I've seen my father than unabashedly happy about any movie-going experience we've had together. Loved it. We spent the next day talking about how much cooler entertainment is now than it was when I was a child, or he was a child, or probably ever.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Finally saw Rogue 1

Man that film was relentlessly grim

Brilliant though

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Also (ending spoiler question)
    did Vader's Star destroyer seem bigger than the two defending the shield gate?

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    It's a Super Star Destroyer, isn't it? It's a class above the others that were in the fight previously

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    It's a Super Star Destroyer, isn't it? It's a class above the others that were in the fight previously
    It's the same Star Destroyer from New Hope, so it's a normal Imperial-class. It's probably just meant to look bigger as it destroys the Rebel fleet

• Options
    Nah, that's the one that crashes into the Death Star. (still the coolest space moment in Star Wars imo)

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Hellbore wrote: »
    It's the same Star Destroyer from New Hope, so it's a normal Imperial-class. It's probably just meant to look bigger as it destroys the Rebel fleet
    Also it jumps in at extreme close range to the rebel fleet while the other two were engaged at longer range.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Nah, that's the one that crashes into the Death Star. (still the coolest space moment in Star Wars imo)

execdive7.jpg

man, the SSD had a really cool design

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Even Imperial-class Star Destroyers are big ships, compared to many of the Rebel ships.

Remember the size of the Hammerhead? Hell, remember the size of the Tantive?

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Even Imperial-class Star Destroyers are big ships, compared to many of the Rebel ships.

N--no?

I'm a bad nerd

• Options
    I wonder if that scene influenced the design or if the design influenced the scene. Because it looks like a dagger.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I wonder if that scene influenced the design or if the design influenced the scene. Because it looks like a dagger.

I bet it was way more fun to plan out the space battles in the OT compared to now with all the CGI. ( Tho I hope they still go old school for the planning at least!)

I'm just picturing it all being planned by a bunch of folks running around with all the models going Ptew ptew !

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options

N--no?

I'm a bad nerd

The Tantive is Leia's ship from ANH.

Remember how Vader's ship was so big that it had a hangar that would fit Leia's entire ship inside it?

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

N--no?

I'm a bad nerd

Luckily there's a handy chart*
    http://orig03.deviantart.net/494a/f/2014/171/0/1/size_comparison___science_fiction_spaceships_by_dirkloechel-d6lfgdf.jpg

*"Handy chart" used here as a marketing term, actual chart is incredibly hard to navigate

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

N--no?

I'm a bad nerd

Luckily there's a handy chart*
    http://orig03.deviantart.net/494a/f/2014/171/0/1/size_comparison___science_fiction_spaceships_by_dirkloechel-d6lfgdf.jpg

*"Handy chart" used here as a marketing term, actual chart is incredibly hard to navigate

That chart gets bigger every time I see it.

04xkcuvaav19.png
This discussion has been closed.