Options

Ultima: [chat] of the Avatar

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    You guys are confusing me. Which character was the white mage? Don't you have to fall for the white mage?

• Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    kbcfj7scu1qv.png

I wanted to be real artsy and have a bunch of different fields of vision, but then realized I'm not good at drawing.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    I actually really hate the whole "protagonisexual" thing that BioWare experimented with in Dragon Age 2

I'm glad they abandoned it for Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition and characters have specific sexualities, especially in DAI.

Like, in DAI, Cassandra, Blackwall, Cullen, and Solas are heterosexual. Cullen and Solas are even particular about species, with Cullen not being interested in Qunari or Dwarves, and Solas only interested in having sex with elven ladies.
    Sera and Dorian are homosexual, and Dorian's homosexuality is a plot point that is actually pretty central to his backstory and could not exist if they did the goofy "protagonisexual" thing of DA2.
    Iron Bull and Josephine are bisexual/pansexual (Iron Bull's writer specifically identified him as pansexual). Bull's sexuality, again, is a pretty important part of his character and would get fucky by putting him in a box of only being into whatever the protagonist is.

I don't like the weird "quantum sexuality" concept for NPCs because A.) It reinforces the stupid BioWare fanbase idea of them being the gods of their own narrative and that everything should be their power fantasy where every character is their potential waifu at all times, and B.) It destroys potential storylines like Dorian's and C.) It's actually a form of bisexual erasure in it's own way (see: Anders in DA2).

I disagree.

While I don't like ingame romances, this applies to other character interactions sometimes, and I don't like being constrained based on a mechanical choice (i.e. class/race)

This isn't really a game mechanics issue though, in Dragon Age's case?

Like in Dragon Age your choice of race is barely a game mechanics choice. You get an incredibly minuscule mechanical benefit starting out. Dwarves get +25% Magic Defense. Qunari get 10% physical damage resistance. Elves get +25% Ranged Defense against all ranged attacks, including magical projectiles, and Humans get +1 Bonus Ability Point.

That's a joke. Those benefits are made kinda worthless after a few levels (Dragon Age Inquisition isn't a hard game unless you choose to make it very hard, in which case those racial benefits will not save you). That is not something you Character Optimize around, if you are a nerd for that shit. You pick a Qunari because you want to roleplay as a Qunari.

If you choose to play a Human, Elf, Dwarf, or Qunari in Dragon Age Inquisition that will have a significant impact on the game (especially that last one), not from a "game mechanics" standpoint but because it's a roleplaying game and the world reacts to what race you are. Like during the quest "Wicked Eyes, Wicked Hearts", you have to attend court with the Empress of Orlais. You have to conduct yourself at a royal function with a bunch of Orlesian nobility and shit. If you are an elf or god help you, a fucking Qunari, you literally lose points immediately because Orlesian nobility are fucking racist. Those are realities of Dragon Age's setting. You can overcome that disadvantage through your actions, but you literally start with a disadvantage versus being say, a human noble warrior from the Free Marches, scion of House Trevalyan, which immediately gains you points.

The idea that there should be some kind of impenetrable barrier between your game mechanics choices and your roleplaying and the setting is absurd. If I wanted a game like that, I wouldn't be playing BioWare's games, I'd be playing Skyrim where nobody seems to give a shit that I'm Argonian or whatever.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    kbcfj7scu1qv.png

I wanted to be real artsy and have a bunch of different fields of vision, but then realized I'm not good at drawing.

Why do you have a cup of Pinecone cream?

@Blameless Cleric

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Self-Portrait
    Pilot G-2 Pen on Starcraft: Heart of the Swarm pad of paper on bed

4bjbtP2h.png?1

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    That's clearly Americone Dream.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    @skippydumptruck @desc

husbo bought a Golf-R today :3

@so it goes uguu~

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Romance options really were lacking in ME1.
    I went with Liara because I had no interest in the human ken doll Kaidan Whinolenko. Pschah.

ME2 garrus because he is my eternal bro. But then I played through it again, after getting ME3, having somehow fucked up the saves, Liara because why not, shadow broker was cool.

Which turned out to be the best choice for ME3 because TALI AND GARRUS OMG

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Which is better, Japan Crate or Tokyo Treat?

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    That's clearly Americone Dream.

That's one interpretation.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    skippydumptruck @desc

husbo bought a Golf-R today :3

BALLIN

this 2 new car household!

@So It Goes

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Welcome to earn a thread, where you earn a thread. Tonight's task is simple. Draw and post Man Ruminating On His Couch After Eating Too Much Ice Cream. Man can also be a woman. Technical merit will not be a considered and in fact we might look down on that sort of thing, who do you think you are? The winner will be decided on as of yet unknown criteria. I will be the sole judge, jury, and if provided with an address executioner. You will be missed. Deadline is Geth's closure of the thread.

I summon @tapeslinger in Attack Mode!

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    zU7op7wh.jpg

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Which is better, Japan Crate or Tokyo Treat?

I get Oyatsu Box and have yet to be disappointed

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I actually really hate the whole "protagonisexual" thing that BioWare experimented with in Dragon Age 2

I'm glad they abandoned it for Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition and characters have specific sexualities, especially in DAI.

Like, in DAI, Cassandra, Blackwall, Cullen, and Solas are heterosexual. Cullen and Solas are even particular about species, with Cullen not being interested in Qunari or Dwarves, and Solas only interested in having sex with elven ladies.
    Sera and Dorian are homosexual, and Dorian's homosexuality is a plot point that is actually pretty central to his backstory and could not exist if they did the goofy "protagonisexual" thing of DA2.
    Iron Bull and Josephine are bisexual/pansexual (Iron Bull's writer specifically identified him as pansexual). Bull's sexuality, again, is a pretty important part of his character and would get fucky by putting him in a box of only being into whatever the protagonist is.

I don't like the weird "quantum sexuality" concept for NPCs because A.) It reinforces the stupid BioWare fanbase idea of them being the gods of their own narrative and that everything should be their power fantasy where every character is their potential waifu at all times, and B.) It destroys potential storylines like Dorian's and C.) It's actually a form of bisexual erasure in it's own way (see: Anders in DA2).

I disagree.

While I don't like ingame romances, this applies to other character interactions sometimes, and I don't like being constrained based on a mechanical choice (i.e. class/race)

Like in Dragon Age your choice of race is barely a game mechanics choice. You get an incredibly minuscule mechanical benefit starting out. Dwarves get +25% Magic Defense. Qunari get 10% physical damage resistance. Elves get +25% Ranged Defense against all ranged attacks, including magical projectiles, and Humans get +1 Bonus Ability Point.

That's a joke. Those benefits are made kinda worthless after a few levels (Dragon Age Inquisition isn't a hard game unless you choose to make it very hard, in which case those racial benefits will not save you). That is not something you Character Optimize around, if you are a nerd for that shit. You pick a Qunari because you want to roleplay as a Qunari.

If you choose to play a Human, Elf, Dwarf, or Qunari in Dragon Age Inquisition that will have a significant impact on the game (especially that last one), not from a "game mechanics" standpoint but because it's a roleplaying game and the world reacts to what race you are. Like during the quest "Wicked Eyes, Wicked Hearts", you have to attend court with the Empress of Orlais. You have to conduct yourself at a royal function with a bunch of Orlesian nobility and shit. If you are an elf or god help you, a fucking Qunari, you literally lose points immediately because Orlesian nobility are fucking racist. Those are realities of Dragon Age's setting. You can overcome that disadvantage through your actions, but you literally start with a disadvantage versus being say, a human noble warrior from the Free Marches, scion of House Trevalyan, which immediately gains you points.

The idea that there should be some kind of impenetrable barrier between your game mechanics choices and your roleplaying and the setting is absurd. If I wanted a game like that, I wouldn't be playing BioWare's games, I'd be playing Skyrim where nobody seems to give a shit that I'm Argonian or whatever.

DA:O didn't fully execute on this

nobody seemed to give a shit that my mage was an elf, only caring if my elf was proper elf

but largely speaking they nailed it p good in DA:O and I'm glad to hear they went further with it in DA:I.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Welcome to earn a thread, where you earn a thread. Tonight's task is simple. Draw and post Man Ruminating On His Couch After Eating Too Much Ice Cream. Man can also be a woman. Technical merit will not be a considered and in fact we might look down on that sort of thing, who do you think you are? The winner will be decided on as of yet unknown criteria. I will be the sole judge, jury, and if provided with an address executioner. You will be missed. Deadline is Geth's closure of the thread.

My art is not bound by your rules!

re8fvs9ynm88.jpg

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    podly I find this stance on what Does or Does Not qualify as "people suck DWI" or "no this is AUTHORIAL CHOICE" to be pretty arbitrary

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

I disagree.

nobody seemed to give a shit that my mage was an elf, only caring if my elf was proper elf

but largely speaking they nailed it p good in DA:O and I'm glad to hear they went further with it in DA:I.

In DA2 you could be a fuckin' Blood Mage in full view of everyone even though a huge chunk of the game's plot was a mass panic about blood mages

When designing DAI they were like "okay yeah you can't be a Blood Mage anymore because that's dumb for you to be allowed to be a Blood Mage and not have everyone around you freak out immediately"

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    If all you've eaten today is a bowl of soup six hours ago then a single beer can get you kinda fucked up

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    c4L0YlTh.jpg

"hmmm, maybe the yogurt next"

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »

I disagree.

In DA2 you could be a fuckin' Blood Mage in full view of everyone even though a huge chunk of the game's plot was a mass panic about blood mages

When designing DAI they were like "okay yeah you can't be a Blood Mage anymore because that's dumb for you to be allowed to be a Blood Mage and not have everyone around you freak out immediately"

even though in DAI it would make the most sense for being a blood mage to be okay, because everyone on your side thinks you're basically jesus, so normal rules wouldn't apply

and the people that hate you would hate you more

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

I disagree.

And it's fine of you enjoy that, I don't though.

Characters acknowledging your race/class etc is fine, requiring extra hoops to unlock a quest because you're lowborn or something, that's fine. Being locked out of story components completely because of them is not.

I don't really do multiple playthrough of games, I just don't have the time.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Just heard on the radio(emphasis mine)
    Owners of NYC bodegas, which everyone else calls convenience stores, protested Donald Trump's executive order that bars immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Just heard on the radio(emphasis mine)
    Owners of NYC bodegas, which everyone else calls convenience stores, protested Donald Trump's executive order that bars immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries.

Right, though?

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    c4L0YlTh.jpg

"hmmm, maybe the yogurt next"
    The watermarks totally make this image. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    I really really liked Tyranny being a short RPG with vastly different campaign paths depending on your choices and want other RPGs to do that and completely eliminate filler

IM LOOKING AT YOU DAI

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

I disagree.

And it's fine of you enjoy that, I don't though.

Characters acknowledging your race/class etc is fine, requiring extra hoops to unlock a quest because you're lowborn or something, that's fine. Being locked out of story components completely because of them is not.

I don't really do multiple playthrough of games, I just don't have the time.

Oh well

Watch it on youtube

• Options
    my god, so many women on couches eating ice cream

and these are just the 100% legit stock photos, not the women... uh... eating other things as well

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    tumblr_okls0yXEHE1sliee9o1_540.jpg

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    KQJUbqPl.jpg

Ludious on
  • Options
    for a long time, i thought JRPGs were the worst genre of video game

i thought i hated them more than i hated any other genre, that they were the worst things to masquerade around as "RPGs" and that in doing so, they basically were bringing RPGs down as a genre

but i was wrong, oh god i was wrong, i was so wrong i am filled with so much regret

JRPGs are fine, they are not my cup of tea and i still don't like them, but they're basically linear movie-games with lots of maths for people who like that sort of thing

it's like if an Uncharted game had a weird combat system i didn't enjoy

sure fine whatever, i don't like it but it's not a fucking poison

no the real problem is that "western RPG" has actually come to mean amusement park sandbox garbage nonsense with no actual roleplaying that is produced by fucking BETHESDA for most people

skyrim, fallout 4, etc.

and i am the man standing on a sandy shore, swinging a rusted sword against the tide, pointlessly howling into the sea air

nobody gives a shit

but there's no god damn roleplaying in those fucking games

as amusement park rides, judged on their own merits, yes i can see why some people find them fun, they are not for me but fine fine i get it

the problem is that someone picks up Mass Effect and goes "yeah but where is my 550 hours of open world exploration" and i want to just press my thumbs into their eyes like they were oberyn martell

• Options
    wafflesmageewafflesmagee I like pancakes. Registered User regular
    o8qfm3gr2c47.png

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    You know what the best RPG was?

Witcher 3.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    desc wrote: »
    tumblr_okls0yXEHE1sliee9o1_540.jpg

I iust don't think Stephen Byerley really ate that ice cream #birther

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    You know what the best RPG was?

Witcher 3.

I feel like Witcher 3 like, struck the balance

it was the great uniter

it had roleplaying, it had goofy skyrim exploration theme park shit

it just, had it all

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    the best RPG is Doki Doki Panic

• Options
    edited February 2017
    oh and I really enjoyed the frequent-but-not-perfect roleplaying in Tyranny

Since the game frequently has no "good option", it forced me to think "hmm, I'm playing as a diplomat, a skilled and knowledgeable mage who escaped the fascist railroading by using a legal technicality, so I'm going to play this way" (this is actually my character's background, selected during character creation)

And holy fucking shit it worked
    I sided with the rebellion to solve the edict, made them swear fealty to me, and when asked to explain my actions I said "My orders were to end the rebellion by eliminating all forces not loyal to Kyros in Ascension hall, since the traitors pledged fealty to me, and I am a servant of Kyros, I fulfilled the edict to the letter. Since the law states that Kyros' edicts are absolute, and I fulfilled the edict to the letter, I cannot have done anything wrong"

And Tunaan's like "well, fuck me"

Obsidian made a real attempt, it doesn't always work out right, but when it does it's really satisfying

override367 on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    kbcfj7scu1qv.png

same-planet.jpg?w=640

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Also the I think the commercials on syfy doesn't know who I am.

Sometimes it thinks I am a rich druggie needing rehab in South Florida. Other times I am buying a car. Other times I need plan b.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.