Options

Bad Food "Thread": Things Man Was Not Meant To Digest

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I'm dead serious about the jalapenos thing in cinnamon buns. You want jalapenos with good flavor. It's not about the spiciness. It's like chili powder in brownies or salt in caramel, it's all about accenting flavors.

• Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    The work cafeteria went Super Bowl-themed with the lunch buffet today: foot-long hotdogs, bratwurst, chicken tenders, and waffle fries with cheese and chili available for slathering. Gonna enjoy every minute of the impending gastro disaster.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I ate one of those naked chicken chalupas last night

while I was eating it I was thinking "this is fine. every part of this is perfectly acceptable."

which like, as far as fast food goes, is like an A+

y'all should eat it

ask for sour cream

• Options
    QUESTION:

Why is something called sour cream, which is, by definition, spoiled dairy, so good?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    QUESTION:

Why is something called sour cream, which is, by definition, spoiled dairy, so good?

And why do the French call their sour cream "fresh cream?"

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Oh is creme freshe literally just sour cream? I've never tried it, but they talk about it in cooking shows a lot.

• Options
    Oh is creme freshe literally just sour cream? I've never tried it, but they talk about it in cooking shows a lot.

It's in the same family of food, but it's got a milder flavor and looser texture.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    QUESTION:

artificial selection on those bacteria I suppose

I imagine the desperate human who had to decide to starve or eat spoiled food getting the surprise of their life when they had sour cream. "Wow.. this is... good????"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    It's not the same thing. They're similar, and you can use them for similar purposes, but crème fraîche and sour cream are not the same thing.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    I heard we're talking about Ukranian ketchup...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    It's not the same thing. They're similar, and you can use them for similar purposes, but crème fraîche and sour cream are not the same thing.

I mean they are

they are slight variations of the same thing. One has more fat than the other but that's pretty much it. It's like saying full fat milk and 2% are different. They taste slightly different but they're both milk.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I made @tynic s chocolate chip cookies recipe. They are good.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    WHY DON'T WE JUST EAT BREAKFAST FOR DINNER, HUH?

Well I sometimes do. What of it?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I was looking for the second of the pizzas I made. We only ate one and I froze the other. I can not find it. My parents tell me we ate it last week but I can not remember that at all and I am very bugged by this fact.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    I like the chicken chalupas, but the cool habanero double tacos are still my favorite right now. They give me flashbacks to a better time with spicy frito burritos.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I have struck upon an idea for a sweet grilled cheese, using Brunost and brioche slices

I will not rest until I try this or forget about it

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I'm pretty late to the party here but someone mentioned potato on pizza?

That's really good, you should try it

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I was looking for the second of the pizzas I made. We only ate one and I froze the other. I can not find it. My parents tell me we ate it last week but I can not remember that at all and I am very bugged by this fact.

Sometimes it's difficult to see the obvious when you're so close to it.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Sour cream is the result of the thought process that begins with "what happens if you try to ferment milk into alcohol?"

• Options
    Opty wrote: »
    Sour cream is the result of the thought process that begins with "what happens if you try to ferment milk into alcohol?"

Well, that and airag. But I like where your head's at.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I have struck upon an idea for a sweet grilled cheese, using Brunost and brioche slices

I will not rest until I try this or forget about it

Oh! Oh my! That cheese is generally not used in melts. And for the life of me, I can't remember why, though if you suggest that here in Norway, people will think you're really weird. Please go for it and let me know how it goes. It is very good on warm things like waffles, though.

Actually, I'd offer to send you some, but isn't it problematic to mail dairy internationally?

• Options
    I made beer battered chicken thighs.

They were pretty good.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Dare to Dream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GL_0B2-Jn4&t=0s

Taking a fast food meal and stuffing it into a sausage

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Dare to Dream:

But they don't tell you what fast food made good sausage. Just that some of it wasn't completely inedible.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Dare to Dream:

But they don't tell you what fast food made good sausage. Just that some of it wasn't completely inedible.

The dog wouldn't even eat it!

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Dare to Dream:

Get a Sausage attachment for a Stand Mixer and make your own Fast Food Sausages

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Dare to Dream:

No... no... I chose Life.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Dare to Dream:

No... no... I chose Life.

Death comes for us all in time.

Eat at Arby's.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Mrs Rhesus got mad at me in the pub over the weekend for abusing the pot of melted butter that came with our charcuterie board

Things that butter is for: bread

Things that butter (apparently) isn't for: haggis, salami, olives

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    looks more like a burger to me

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    there's melted cheese in the vicinity of bread, it's clearly a melt AKA a grilled cheese sandwich

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I had a 5 guys grilled cheese sandwich the other day. With mushrooms and grilled onions in it (GF's request).

It was pretty good.

Their cajun fries are probably the best fry of a national chain.

In fact I would go as far to say that 5 guys is the best casual dining nation wide burger chain in the UK.

I classify casual dining as "you have to collect your order" though someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Mrs Rhesus got mad at me in the pub over the weekend for abusing the pot of melted butter that came with our charcuterie board

Things that butter is for: bread

Things that butter (apparently) isn't for: haggis, salami, olives

Well I mean. You paid for that pot of butter. Every drop not used is money wasted.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    I had a 5 guys grilled cheese sandwich the other day. With mushrooms and grilled onions in it (GF's request).

It was pretty good.

Their cajun fries are probably the best fry of a national chain.

In fact I would go as far to say that 5 guys is the best casual dining nation wide burger chain in the UK.

I classify casual dining as "you have to collect your order" though someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

In the US casual dining would be more like dennys or friendlys (still has waiters)

5 guys is the middle ground of casual dining and fast food

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    yea, casual dining, you show up in whatever clothes you have on, sit down, and a waiter takes your order.
    everything from mom and pop shops, dives, denny's up to red lobster and other chained restaurants.

fast food, go to the teller, give your order, get it within 5minutes, all while still standing, or at a drive-thru.

fine dining, like casual, but more expensive, portions are a bit smaller, but damn some of them are a divine experience, and there is a dress code, you shlub, try to care about your appearance.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Five Guys is fast casual, along with like Chipotle and Panera Bread and similar

• Options
    I don't think I'd like a restaurant with a dress code.

Mostly because I don't have much nice clothes and don't want to wear them just to go out to eat. Also shit would be expensive.

Id rather eat at big boy than at some fancy place with napkin rings any day. Forever.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    I went to this really fancy restaurant in NJ on a business trip one time - literally left the airport for this dinner, so I was in jeans and a t-shirt, but they still let me in. We all had a laugh over it and a few bottles of wine, but there was nothing on the menu that I really wanted because my pallet is... not refined, and everything had mushrooms or looked gross. So I settled on the Lobster Gnocchi, because I like both lobster and gnocchi.

Everyone else got a big stonkin' steak, which I didn't find on my menu.

Because the restaurant gave me their lunch menu.

I was so mad. I love steak.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
This discussion has been closed.