As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam]: Where backlog progress and sales collide.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    harvest wrote: »
    Hey thread, if you have a Raspberry Pi and an nVidia card, and want to try streaming Steam games to your TV you can install Moonlight on there to make it happen. I spent an hour figuring out how to do it and then played Dark Souls 3 from the recliner and it was amazing.

Any comparison info to the SteamLink?

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Fell asleep for like an hour and a half, just to wake up to more crazy generosity. Thank you so much to @Drake for a copy of Gunmetal Arcadia Zero. Ive been told its basically Zelda 2, which everyone knows is the 2nd best Zelda game right behind Link to the Past. Thank you so much. <3<3

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    I've only gotten through the first level, but Shadow Tactics is without a doubt a fantastic game. I'm pretty bad at it, and had to reload countlessly, but didn't really get frustrated once. I had no idea it had controller support when I played the demo, and it works really well and gives the game a different feel. I'm going to play the second mission with KBAM and then decide what to stick with for the rest of the game I think.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I wish Rocket League had the capacity for custom soundtracks.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Bleed 1 is very hard, even on easy mode
    Focus on not getting hit. And save your bullet time for emergencies of not getting hit.

But then I can't aim for shit!
    Yeah you're doing it wrong. You have endless ammo (at least with pistols) and don't need to account for accuracy. Priority number one is not getting hit. Priority number two is to always be shooting.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Focus on not getting hit. And save your bullet time for emergencies of not getting hit.

Yeah you're doing it wrong. You have endless ammo (at least with pistols) and don't need to account for accuracy. Priority number one is not getting hit. Priority number two is to always be shooting.

I....may have not known/forgotten that you can dodge through bullets. Unless that's not a thing you can do in that game.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Sigh, I had an opportunity to get Shadow Tactics too, but i decided otherwise. I regret it more and more with every positive word I hear about this game. I hope that there will be some good sale this year.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I'd been wondering what the FTL devs were up to, and today, they revealed just that:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJR1OpHNgzc
    Introducing the next game by Subset Games, creators of FTL...

Into The Breach!

The remnants of human civilization are threatened by gigantic creatures breeding beneath the earth. You must control powerful mechs from the future to hold off this alien threat. Each attempt to save the world presents a new randomly generated challenge in this turn-based strategy game.

Into the Breach is a single-player game coming to Windows, Mac, and Linux (although not simultaneously). There is no planned release date. Ben Prunty, FTL’s composer, is making an original soundtrack for the game, and award-winning sound designers PowerUp Audio are heading up the rest of the audio. Chris Avellone is lending his writing talents and world building skills to the team as well.

More info available at http://subsetgames.com/

I'm not sure if I'm into it as much as I enjoyed FTL, but I really liked FTL, so I'll probably give this a chance.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

I....may have not known/forgotten that you can dodge through bullets. Unless that's not a thing you can do in that game.

The best way to find out is to try! :biggrin:

I will say that after many deaths on easy, I completed Bleed (back in 2014). Basically, if I can do it, anyone can. :wink:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    SteevL wrote: »
    I'd been wondering what the FTL devs were up to, and today, they revealed just that:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJR1OpHNgzc
    Introducing the next game by Subset Games, creators of FTL...

Into The Breach!

The remnants of human civilization are threatened by gigantic creatures breeding beneath the earth. You must control powerful mechs from the future to hold off this alien threat. Each attempt to save the world presents a new randomly generated challenge in this turn-based strategy game.

Into the Breach is a single-player game coming to Windows, Mac, and Linux (although not simultaneously). There is no planned release date. Ben Prunty, FTL’s composer, is making an original soundtrack for the game, and award-winning sound designers PowerUp Audio are heading up the rest of the audio. Chris Avellone is lending his writing talents and world building skills to the team as well.

More info available at http://subsetgames.com/

I'm not sure if I'm into it as much as I enjoyed FTL, but I really liked FTL, so I'll probably give this a chance.

I wonder if the "going back in time" at the end of the trailer is more about rerolling a new world with some carryover and not an actual gameplay mechanic?

The announcement seems to indicate that, but I'm just assuming.

Interesting turn from FTL, seems like a rogue-like Advance Wars with a weirdly tiny playfield. Doesn't mean it won't rock, though; they have my faith after FTL.

I just hope it has a more robust meta than FTL did for carry-over unlocks into new runs. Rogue Legacy is still my gold standard of having a reason to do a new run every time and make it different enough (with the combined resetting of the castle and the random descendant component to offset the march to power from the Manor), so I'm hoping this has some good options.

EDIT: Also, Hi Steam Thread. It's been awhile.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Maybe I can actually see the ending to this game.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »

Thought the title was you being sarcastic.

Welp.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Speaking of games like Bloody Boobs:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/558846854614253751

Greenlight is closing down in Spring in favor of a new initiative called Steam Direct.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    So I just casually said I wanted to give bleed a shot this morning after all the talk about it. Ended up spending 2 hours with it and finishing on normal difficulty. Yeah this is pretty great.

I went back to the first two levels to beat them on vhard for some unlocks before the final two levels. The second boss on vhard is when the game just started to click and i felt like a badass.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »

Greenlight is closing down in Spring in favor of a new initiative called Steam Direct.

Oh my god... this is great news.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular

"Steam Direct will enable developers to get their games on Steam without having to pass an approval process first."

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »

"Steam Direct will enable developers to get their games on Steam without having to pass an approval process first."

We're gonna need bigger shovels...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    edited February 2017

I thought the implication was that you have to pay a fee and edit do the work to be as legit as possible and then maybe release one non crap shovelware game and then you have carte blanche.

Kinda like how it's way easier to make a Hollywood movie after you've already made a Hollywood movie.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options

I mean... why though? They still have to setup a company, submit tax forms, pay Valve a listing fee, etc...

• Options
    FgxVrmf.png

Goddamnit @destroyah87 you monster! I am seriously being deluged in games, and while amazing, its completely uncalled for. Though, I have heard this one is much much better than Zestiria starts out, so I'm actually kind of excited to give it a shot in a bit. Thank you so much Destroyah, now STOP SENDING GIFTS WHILE BEING AWAY SO WE CANT BITCH AT YOU FOR IT IN CHAT.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

I mean... why though? They still have to setup a company, submit tax forms, pay Valve a listing fee, etc...

Actually, from their wording, it's the same system they have with Greenlight (paying a $100 submission fee, which currently goes to Child's Play) except without any community input (and less work for Valve to do). The wording of "personal or company verification" seems to mean it's the same paperwork they currently have (i.e. depending on where you live, you may not have to set up a company if you're a one-person dev). The main difference is that instead of a one-time $100 fee, you have to pay a fee for every game you submit (with the fee increasing possibly as much as to $5,000, which is good in theory, but not if you're a small indie dev team), but your game gets directly listed with no filtering from Valve or the community.

The Recettear dev has been pretty vocal about it:

Zavian on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

While the character design bit lets me know there is an actual game and legitimate work in there....holy shit.

• Options
    gIqyYbQ.png

@CorriganX is a jackass, confirmed.

And I'm pretty sure there's no "no tag back" rule.

Thanks. <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    QSDBLCe.png

this is some bullshit. If we dont follow the hallowed rule of no tag backs, what rules will we follow. WILL WE DESCEND INTO ANARCHY?! ARE THERE NO GUIDELINES?!

Thanks @Pixelated Pixie <3

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    THE BOOBS HAVE BEEN UNLEASHED UPON ME!
    GDeyhUe.png
    It was for research! You see, I was....umm....well...you know....yeah.
    Much thanks @Pixelated Pixie , you monster!
    <3<3<3

• Options
    TetraRayTetraRay Registered User regular
    The blood is getting everywhere....
    b4v4imyxoc3v.jpg
    Thank you @Pixelated Pixie ........

Steam ID: TetraRay
  • Options
    While co-oping Bloody Boobs with @CorriganX and @TetraRay ...

Tetra: "Anyone know where the last penis is?"

GOTY.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
  • Options
    @mildlymorbid is a fiendish foe
    E13XTGX.png
    Gunmetal Arcadia looks amazing, much thanks you monster!
    <3<3<3

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    The best review i could find for bloody boobs

"I have no idea what I am supposed to do but there are boobs so that's already 50% of that what the game promised"

Good enough i suppose.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

It really doesn't feel like it.

That announcement was basically: "Steam is great, Greenlight worked great, lets do more of that with the barrier of entry being cashmoney and not a community approval process!"

There is no indication of any means of reducing the piles of horse shit flooding Steam every day, or limiting the backdoor bullshit profits from cards, or having more oversight into content theft or engine asset flip "games".

Greenlight needed to go, but this doesn't seem in any way better, as the only thing it will change (at least from this little information) is less transparency for the userbase to see whats happening.

Companies that paid (with keys, or whatever) for greenlight votes will just sort the difference between the costs to a meager initial investment, bypassing rigging the votes, and still rely on the few duped customers and more generally still use bundles to get their games out there for marketplace trading profits.

Maybe I'm missing something, and I hope I am; but it seems to be all that is happening here is that they're hoping that getting the issue out of the immediate line of sight of the userbase, people will stop thinking about and stop making such a big deal about the utter lack of curation in what is put on Steam.

I don't see much good coming from this.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    Story trailer for Torment: Tides of Numenera. It is a spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment. Which is easily one of the best CRPGs ever made. (and still not on Steam for some reason. boooo)

Quite a tough act to follow. But hopefully it is a great game as well. I really do like the premise and the story trailer is pretty awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7QKH891Huc

• Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular

Thought the title was you being sarcastic.

Welp.

The About blurb: "Imagine that you are a young beautiful girl with a tasty body"

So....pretty much just let my mind operate as normal, then?

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    While co-oping Bloody Boobs with @CorriganX and @TetraRay ...

Tetra: "Anyone know where the last penis is?"

GOTY.

Well I guess I found my next game then.

The RPG group is coming tonight, should be great.

• Options
    Corrigan and I died to make sure Tetra got to touch the last penis and go through the giant pink portal to victory.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    TetraRayTetraRay Registered User regular
    Definitely so bad that it is funny kind of game

Steam ID: TetraRay
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    It really can't be stressed enough just how awesome the Gunmetal games are. Gunmetal Arcadia Zero is pretty much a straight up Zelda 2 tribute with impeccable feel. And it's designed with speedruns and NG+ in mind if you are a fan of such things.

And this is where the sequel differentiates itself. It takes the impeccable feel and mechanics of Zero and puts them into a highly polished roguelite format, with legacy progression mechanics, different characters to unlock and play and so on if that is your sort of thing. I love both things so these are taking up a lot of my brainspace and time right now.

If you enjoy classic NES style gaming this is some of the best. And the CRT emulation truly is glorious. I scoffed at first but it really was the final touch that turned on the nostalgia overdrive. Minor Key Games has really been putting out consistently fun and interesting games.

• Options

That announcement was basically: "Steam is great, Greenlight worked great, lets do more of that with the barrier of entry being cashmoney and not a community approval process!"

There is no indication of any means of reducing the piles of horse shit flooding Steam every day, or limiting the backdoor bullshit profits from cards, or having more oversight into content theft or engine asset flip "games".

Greenlight needed to go, but this doesn't seem in any way better, as the only thing it will change (at least from this little information) is less transparency for the userbase to see whats happening.

Companies that paid (with keys, or whatever) for greenlight votes will just sort the difference between the costs to a meager initial investment, bypassing rigging the votes, and still rely on the few duped customers and more generally still use bundles to get their games out there for marketplace trading profits.

Maybe I'm missing something, and I hope I am; but it seems to be all that is happening here is that they're hoping that getting the issue out of the immediate line of sight of the userbase, people will stop thinking about and stop making such a big deal about the utter lack of curation in what is put on Steam.

Hmm, yeah I guess I should read more into it. On paper it sounds like great news, but I can see how it would cause more harm than good.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular

Hmm, yeah I guess I should read more into it. On paper it sounds like great news, but I can see how it would cause more harm than good.

The best thing about this is it does away with whole audience aspect of Greenlight which played directly to trolling. Removing that playground aspect will do a lot to clean up the process.

Sure we'll still get shitty games, but this will stop the game of Greenlighting shitty games.

This discussion has been closed.