As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stardew Valley - Join us. Thrive.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    WordLust wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    also the $9949159

that's a difference

Left screenshot is player 1; Right is player 2. The money values are different because the players have different amounts of money.

But they shouldn't have different amounts of shadow.

Or, hear me out now, should they?

Are they truly there, or are they just shades passing through each other's world?

Everyone has always told you that you are the only farmer in Stardew Valley, who is this other figure to claim that they are he?

He claims that he has loved all of the people of the village, and that they all love him, but when asked about her other friends, Emily mentions only Sandy.

He casts no shadow as he walks through your farm, even when the sun casts yours brilliantly before you. Such could only be the case if he had no body, if he was some form of spectral being, descended to the underworld.

Or perhaps this is your underworld, and you remember him not due to your draught from the sweet Lethe that provides you with so many fish. Nobody else seems to remember him either - did they all come here with you?

• Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    also the $9949159

that's a difference

Left screenshot is player 1; Right is player 2. The money values are different because the players have different amounts of money.

Are they truly there, or are they just shades passing through each other's world?

Everyone has always told you that you are the only farmer in Stardew Valley, who is this other figure to claim that they are he?

He claims that he has loved all of the people of the village, and that they all love him, but when asked about her other friends, Emily mentions only Sandy.

He casts no shadow as he walks through your farm, even when the sun casts yours brilliantly before you. Such could only be the case if he had no body, if he was some form of spectral being, descended to the underworld.

Or perhaps this is your underworld, and you remember him not due to your draught from the sweet Lethe that provides you with so many fish. Nobody else seems to remember him either - did they all come here with you?

It's actually the same multiplayer as dark souls. You're just watering your crops and then all of a sudden the specter of another player materializes and starts scything all of your parsnips because fuck you that's why! HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Then you stab them with your sword and they disappear in a burst of flame, leaving behind only an echoing laugh and the shredded remains of your hard work.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Oh my god, fixing the minecart was so worth it. And I'm getting better at fishing, too!

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    also the $9949159

that's a difference

It's actually the same multiplayer as dark souls. You're just watering your crops and then all of a sudden the specter of another player materializes and starts scything all of your parsnips because fuck you that's why! HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Then you stab them with your sword and they disappear in a burst of flame, leaving behind only an echoing laugh and the shredded remains of your hard work.

praising the sun makes a lot more sense if you're a farmer

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Delmain wrote: »
    No, it looks like they are both missing the other player's shadow.

The twigs, rocks, and grass on the left side of the frame are also all different. compare it to the details on the ground texture which is positioned the same in both pictures.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Semi-frequently there'll be a fish that will break free in a second, and it's legitimately setting up that "Soon, soon..." obsessed fisherman in me.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I fucking love the fishing in Stardew Valley and I sorta wish they release alt versions of these maps, because I want a big honking lake instead of rivers

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Having grown up on a farm, I wish there was an option to turn on semi-rare hailstorms that would destroy your whole crop. I've got three hundred melons that are about two days out from harvest, and it's giving me the kind of low-key constant tension you get when you've got your annual budget in alfalfa swathed and waiting to bale and the horizon's turning an unhealthy shade of purple.

From a gameplay perspective, it would also add more of a risk/reward mechanic for crops with longer growing seasons.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    also the $9949159

that's a difference

THE GUILTY PAY THE PRICE

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Having grown up on a farm, I wish there was an option to turn on semi-rare hailstorms that would destroy your whole crop. I've got three hundred melons that are about two days out from harvest, and it's giving me the kind of low-key constant tension you get when you've got your annual budget in alfalfa swathed and waiting to bale and the horizon's turning an unhealthy shade of purple.

From a gameplay perspective, it would also add more of a risk/reward mechanic for crops with longer growing seasons.

I've had my crops struck by lightning before I'm pretty sure (and all of my fruit trees got lightning murdered at one point)

And also a meteor hit my farm once, although it missed my crops

• Options

then you can get planetary magic shields to protect your crops with

f'real, though, I would like to see a magic skill added in an update
    let me brew potions, or give my tools a day-long enchantment (with side-effects)

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Side effect of enchanting your fishing rod: larger green brick, but you can speak Fish for the duration.

"No, man, throw me back! I've got a wife and roe!"

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    kowikowi Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    I fucking love the fishing in Stardew Valley and I sorta wish they release alt versions of these maps, because I want a big honking lake instead of rivers

Best part of the game for me.

PSN: kowi - WiiU: kowi - XBL: KoWi - twitch.tv/kowi profile.png - "Yes, Kowi is the King of All" - smilie.png Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    The fishing is wonderful. Fishing haters can get off my lawn!

There are kinda sorta magics you can get throughout the game that have various benefits for your farm. Some of them depend on chance, though, and the others you can't get until you've more or less already "completed" the game.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I love the fishing except for the Legendary fish. Those things are straight up impossible unless you just get really lucky.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    The main trick is that you need a trap bobber. The fishing bar decreases 2/3 slower when you're not on the fish, so there's more time to catch up to it. Helps with other hard-to-catch fast movers too - I think I had more trouble catching an octopus than a couple of the legendaries.

Also you're probably not going to find the legendaries unless your fishing is around level 10 (either by flat skill or eating something that gives +fishing). Supposedly luck plays a role in how often the fish will show up when they do so either fish on a lucky day (purple glowing star from the fortune teller on TV) or eat something that gives +luck, but the latter would cancel out any +fishing.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    I can confirm that prior to 1.1 you didn't need level 10 to hook a legendary. No chance of getting it, but you could still hook it.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I never go for the legendaries because I don't like pissing around with fishing at a certain spot, at a certain time day, in a certain season, under certain conditions, etc. The only one I ever catch is the sewer one, since it shows up pretty reliably and is also pretty easy to catch.

WordLust on
  • Options
    I can confirm that prior to 1.1 you didn't need level 10 to hook a legendary. No chance of getting it, but you could still hook it.

catching them before max rank is doable, if you're stubborn enough

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Damn, fake videogame wife, get off my nuts! Yes, I did give Leah a blackberry today. No, it wasn't a "secret gift." I gave everyone in town a gift, up to and including some weird monster. I'm grinding hearts, woman! Don't you want to be able to leave some cheevos to our weird mute child?

Fuck this, I'm gonna go get messed up on cauldron fumes with that wizard.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Damn, fake videogame wife, get off my nuts! Yes, I did give Leah a blackberry today. No, it wasn't a "secret gift." I gave everyone in town a gift, up to and including some weird monster. I'm grinding hearts, woman! Don't you want to be able to leave some cheevos to our weird mute child?

Haha, everybody complains about this.

I thought CA said at one point that he had taken this out in an update...?

Don't worry, though, it's just dialogue. It doesn't actually affect anything.

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular

Oh thank god. Abigail was accusing me of that the other day and she dropped a heart the next morning, and I thought about giving up on building hearts with any single people because it takes a lot of gems to make her happy again, but if it's just a meaningless complaint then a lot of people are getting some mayo.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Yes it does, you lose hearts with your spouse. At least on PS4 version.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    You definitely lose hearts with your spouse.

Ape took out jealousy if you gift on the person's birthday.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Funny, Elliot never dropped hearts or got mad at me for showering other people in gifts.

Of course, he's also always wandering off to secluded romantic areas in Leahs company. But since I only married him for the cheevos and the nice library add-on, who cares if he's cheating, as long as he doesn't complain.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Funny, Elliot never dropped hearts or got mad at me for showering other people in gifts.

I think it's just a small chance every time you do it and I don't think them barking at you about it means you actually lost hearts either.

• Options
    I checked CA's changelog and it's true that he only removed the jealousy dialogue for giving gifts on birthdays. Your spouse may still express jealousy for giving gifts on normal days.

I still am not sure it actually affects heart level, though, or if it does, I'm not sure it effects heart level very significantly. If you regularly talk to / hug your spouse, it probably doesn't matter in the slightest.

Based on community discussions, it also seems like the jealousy dialogues only happen when you give items to eligible singles, but not when you give items to ineligible town folk.

• Options
    I checked CA's changelog and it's true that he only removed the jealousy dialogue for giving gifts on birthdays. Your spouse may still express jealousy for giving gifts on normal days.

I still am not sure it actually affects heart level, though, or if it does, I'm not sure it effects heart level very significantly. If you regularly talk to / hug your spouse, it probably doesn't matter in the slightest.

Based on community discussions, it also seems like the jealousy dialogues only happen when you give items to eligible singles, but not when you give items to ineligible town folk.

It absolutely doesn't matter much but they definitely lose an entire heart sometimes when you gift things to eligible singles

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

It absolutely doesn't matter much but they definitely lose an entire heart sometimes when you gift things to eligible singles

so what

getting hearts up with your spouse is super easy

you always know where to find them and you (presumably) know their loved gifts off the top of your head

• Options
    edited February 2017

so what

you always know where to find them and you (presumably) know their loved gifts off the top of your head

thus the "It absolutely doesn't matter much" part of that post

plus I've been told your spouse loses hearts gradually anyway but I have no idea if that's true.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

so what

thus the "It absolutely doesn't matter much" part of that post

plus I've been told your spouse loses hearts gradually anyway but I have no idea if that's true.

Yeah, I was reinforcing that bit, =P

I don't know about the spouse losing hearts thing though. I know the normal townsfolk only lose hearts if you literally do not talk to them at all, so if it's the same rule, you'd have to like, completely ignore your spouse for weeks to lose a single heart

• Options
    If you have not maxed out an NPCs hearts, their heart level does degrade over time, but it is very, very slow.

If you have an NPCs hearts maxed out, then their heart level does not degrade and will stay maxed out forever (including spouse). I think that just means it doesn't NATURALLY degrade, though. It's possible their heart level can still degrade if you do something that makes them angry, such as giving them a hated item.

• Options
    Oh cool, so there's a gift exchange on not-Christmas

"Your friend is..."
    Pierre

:confused:

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

"Your friend is..."
    Pierre

get him some joja-cola

• Options

"Your friend is..."
    Pierre

get him some joja-cola

So... Pierre... it uh... turns out I'm your secret santa. I uh... wasn't sure what to get you so I'M NOT F***ING YOUR DAUGHTER OKAY SO GET OFF MY BACK I mean Merry Christmas.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    411Randle wrote: »

Oh thank god. Abigail was accusing me of that the other day and she dropped a heart the next morning, and I thought about giving up on building hearts with any single people because it takes a lot of gems to make her happy again, but if it's just a meaningless complaint then a lot of people are getting some mayo.

"getting the mayo" for worst new euphemism of 2017

• Options

"Your friend is..."
    Pierre

get him some joja-cola

I'm torn, because I initially wasn't going to be mean, but then I remembered him appearing on my doorstep to pressure me into continued business with him. Dude, I've stepped into Joja-Mart a grand total of three times and haven't bought a thing, ease up.

• Options
    And my spouse just bought me one unit of mixed seeds as a present. Way to accurately translate a $5 gift card into the world of Stardew Valley, toots.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I just give everyone Void Mayo so they leave me and my devil chicken family alone

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    411Randle wrote: »

"getting the mayo" for worst new euphemism of 2017

I regret nothing!

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
This discussion has been closed.