Options

Non-Russia related Corruption/Grift/Ethics Violations in the [Trump] Administration

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Does recording reporters without their consent count as an ethics violation?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

Technically, no, as the District of Columbia has one-party consent recording laws... which the article points out.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Technically, no, as the District of Columbia has one-party consent recording laws... which the article points out.

It was recorded by a third party

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    It was certainly not ethical.

Nixon's penchant for being paranoid and recording everything is what tripped him up in the end, so... I guess this is an odd sort of good news?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

Nixon's penchant for being paranoid and recording everything is what tripped him up in the end, so... I guess this is an odd sort of good news?

Not if they're editing the recording, which the reporter alleges

Before James O'Keefe, this would have been less believable as a counter accusation. But the fringe tactics of the right are no longer fringe, they're in the White House

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    tweet about russia stuff

I just can't believe this crack team of trust fund fuckups, third-tier political hacks, and racist webmasters is losing their fight with the US intelligence apparatus.

Please post Trump - Russia stuff in the Russia thread

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    The tokenism, while tangential, is just fucking phenomenal. Mind blowing.

'HEY WE'RE TALKING ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF WOMEN BEING BEHIND A DESK! ~TEE HEE HEE!~'

Not a woman who can actually shape the world or anything, of course. Not a woman with any actual power (other than the power to kind of sadly hawk her fashion products).

More on point, though, is the fact those earrings so prominently on display are from her own damn fashion line. Probably the top as well, though honestly it's just some generic black top so it's not as egregious as the jewelry.

You know I don't think it's actually been mentioned in this thread given we all have a hard enough time keeping up with the grift, theft and ethics violations committed by her father and his staff, but it's worth noting that many of Ivanka's "designs" are in fact stolen from other designers.

A quick Google will bring up more than enough examples of this. She's pretty notorious for it by now.

Omg...wait...*digs through Imgur*

OMG

so apparently 11 months ago is when I was in Marshalls and snapped a shot of these two identical dresses that were the same in every way except for the fabric and branding. One of them--the black one--was branded Ivanka Trump but literally everything about the design was the same as the white one by Carmen (not familiar with this line). I took a pic and posted it in chat at the time cause I thought that was weird!

iwEmuXml.jpg

Ah, you found an example in the wild! Here's a few more a quick Twitter search showed me.

I believe there's a couple of lawsuits outstanding against her, for stolen designs and her Chinese-made scarves being highly flammable.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    apple, tree.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    The tokenism, while tangential, is just fucking phenomenal. Mind blowing.

'HEY WE'RE TALKING ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF WOMEN BEING BEHIND A DESK! ~TEE HEE HEE!~'

Not a woman who can actually shape the world or anything, of course. Not a woman with any actual power (other than the power to kind of sadly hawk her fashion products).

More on point, though, is the fact those earrings so prominently on display are from her own damn fashion line. Probably the top as well, though honestly it's just some generic black top so it's not as egregious as the jewelry.

You know I don't think it's actually been mentioned in this thread given we all have a hard enough time keeping up with the grift, theft and ethics violations committed by her father and his staff, but it's worth noting that many of Ivanka's "designs" are in fact stolen from other designers.

A quick Google will bring up more than enough examples of this. She's pretty notorious for it by now.

Omg...wait...*digs through Imgur*

OMG

so apparently 11 months ago is when I was in Marshalls and snapped a shot of these two identical dresses that were the same in every way except for the fabric and branding. One of them--the black one--was branded Ivanka Trump but literally everything about the design was the same as the white one by Carmen (not familiar with this line). I took a pic and posted it in chat at the time cause I thought that was weird!

iwEmuXml.jpg

Ah, you found an example in the wild! Here's a few more a quick Twitter search showed me.

I believe there's a couple of lawsuits outstanding against her, for stolen designs and her Chinese-made scarves being highly flammable.

My understanding of the fashion industry is that IP theft is so rampant because it's impossible to prove someone stole your design even if its blatant. There's a lot of etsy sob stories about major brands just straight lifting designs from small time dress makers. Thiose two dresses that look to be the same are probably copies in a chain of 12 other copies.

edit: semi unrelated, I generally stay away from anything that has a known property or character on it, because unless that property pointed you to it(as in their partnership, or pointed you to their merc), it's probably infringing and the actual owners get no support from you buying it.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    How long is it until we're going to need to split off a third thread for a specific non-Russian non-general corruption incident?

And will it be Mar a Lago related, or will Trump be caught trying to schtoop an intern?

It hasn't even been a goddamned month!

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    wazilla wrote: »
    I mean, Ivanka is realistically one of the most powerful women in the world right now regardless of official title or position...

start_bild.jpg?__blob=normal&v=1

ap280869892811_0.jpg

220px-Lagarde,_Christine_(official_portrait_2011)_(cropped).jpg

moniker on
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    I for one think it's hilarious how messed up this administration is that we need so many and so specific of topics here to talk about it all. We're going to start needing to use the Dewey Decimal system for all these Trump threads.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »
    I for one think it's hilarious how messed up this administration is that we need so many and so specific of topics here to talk about it all. We're going to start needing to use the Dewey Decimal system for all these Trump threads.

Maybe we should start a new thread for discussing which thread posts should go in.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Okay, now what are they going to do about the president profiting from Mar-a-lago, which he still owns, and him using his stays there as advertisements?

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Before James O'Keefe, this would have been less believable as a counter accusation. But the fringe tactics of the right are no longer fringe, they're in the White House

Frankly the fact that she was threatening her over email previously is damning enough.
    “Protect your legacy!!” Manigault wrote to Ryan in October. “You have worked too hard to have people question your ethics as a journalist.” She cited a story that mentioned the Clinton campaign’s efforts to woo journalists and added, “This story suggests that as a reporter, you are (or were) a paid Clinton surrogate. I pray this is not true! This could be hurtful to your legacy and the integrity of your work.”
    Literally writing to a journalist and telling them that if they write good words about an opponent's campaign that it will hurt them later is freaking medieval

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    wazilla wrote: »
    I mean, Ivanka is realistically one of the most powerful women in the world right now regardless of official title or position...

start_bild.jpg?__blob=normal&v=1

ap280869892811_0.jpg

220px-Lagarde,_Christine_(official_portrait_2011)_(cropped).jpg

So, like, 4th or 5th, yeah

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    a nu start wrote: »

Maybe we should start a new thread for discussing which thread posts should go in.

I have a feeling the mods would start sharpening their knives at some point.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Frankly the fact that she was threatening her over email previously is damning enough.
    “Protect your legacy!!” Manigault wrote to Ryan in October. “You have worked too hard to have people question your ethics as a journalist.” She cited a story that mentioned the Clinton campaign’s efforts to woo journalists and added, “This story suggests that as a reporter, you are (or were) a paid Clinton surrogate. I pray this is not true! This could be hurtful to your legacy and the integrity of your work.”
    Literally writing to a journalist and telling them that if they write good words about an opponent's campaign that it will hurt them later is freaking medieval

Meh. Recording is one thing.

But that other stuff is just a political journalist's job to deal with. Politicians are going to try their hardest to work the refs, democrats have had similar arguments with journalists before. Bad journalists get worked, good journalists see through both the negative and positive feedback. It's part of the job description.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I just can't believe this crack team of trust fund fuckups, third-tier political hacks, and racist webmasters is losing their fight with the US intelligence apparatus.

Divorcing this part from the Flynn stuff, which isn't for this thread anymore:

Yeah, if there's one thing the last three weeks have demonstrated, it's that the US government is filled with a whole lot of folks who are more than willing to obstruct Trump, and are MUCH better at navigating the halls of power than his team of incompetent yes-men. And we're only 3 weeks in, this is still the honeymoon period, presidents normally haven't even had the chance to REALLY piss off anyone yet. These leaks and investigations are only going to multiply.

Sure stuff like the ethics department recommendations aren't binding, but they're also hits to the Republican party, as stories like that pile up it's going to hurt them in the midterms, and it's going to keep fueling popular anger with people contacting their representatives. Plus there's just the time management aspect: every day that's spent arguing over what did Trump know and when did he know it is time that's not spent advancing their shitty policies.

Here's the current dead pool of Trump appointees, via Kevin Drum:

blog_trump_dead_pool_2017_02_13.jpg

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    I'm really curious what Townley did to get shitlisted

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I'm really curious what Townley did to get shitlisted

My default is "actively the agent of a foreign power" at this point.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

It is too perfect. The shameless nepotism, the embrace of tokenism over real progress, the use of that office for product placement, the suggestion that strictly aesthetic photo ops are the equivalent of real political business...

I would print & frame this tweet that is so much a microcosm of politics to come if I could.

...she literally doesn't have a title or office to give her a seat at any table.

"Princess Ivanka".

I'll take Princess Ivanaka over King Donald.
    I Zimbra wrote: »

I can, it's unwise to get in fights with spies.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The real danger with this is that she'll be replaced by someone halfway competent at spin.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    We are truly through the looking glass when Morning Joe is pushing journalistic integrity.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Oh, now we have to have threads labeled depending on which nationality of corruption we're talking about within the first 30 days of the administration.

thisisfine.gif

Odds of this entire thing being an attempt to secure a permanent GOP majority by giving everybody else aneurysm is rising.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    The only President to have a worse first month in office was William Henry Harrison

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    The only President to have a worse first month in office was William Henry Harrison

Trump still has 5 more days to try and top it.

Granted, I don't think he's gonna get to the heights of dying but he can make up for it in breadth.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    klemming wrote: »
    The real danger with this is that she'll be replaced by someone halfway competent at spin.

Doubtful, Trump's administration strictly employs bottom feeders not true professionals.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    On the one hand, no one with any sense would want to join an outfit where there's a good chance of permanently destroying one's career by being part of an active dumpster fire and/or getting thrown under the bus by someone else's incompetence.

On the other, there are plenty of people in the US with no sense.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

That implies she was ever credible to begin with. Still, good on them. Everyone needs to practice their ABCs:

Always

Bar

Conway

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    RhahRhah Registered User regular

I would love for this Administration to go down the same way as Nixon and do the exact same thing since they obviously don't have any knowledge of history. Repeating the same mistake to getting taken down would just be delicious.

• Options
    Rhah wrote: »

I would love for this Administration to go down the same way as Nixon and do the exact same thing since they obviously don't have any knowledge of history. Repeating the same mistake to getting taken down would just be delicious.

Oh shit, we'd get a repeat of Ford pardoning Nixon wouldn't we?

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

I don't know, at least people still remember his stilted, boring, overly pedantic exercise of public speaking, and he holds the record for single longest presidential address.

At this rate Trump will have a chance at the top 3 most corrupt cabinets in US history (as in, he'll go through 3 complete cabinets worth of sleezebags, not just 1).

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular

Without a doubt. I think the only way the repubs can get out of this clean is Donny keeling over from a coronary (which I'm convinced at least a few of them are hoping for).

• Options
    RhahRhah Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »

Without a doubt. I think the only way the repubs can get out of this clean is Donny keeling over from a coronary (which I'm convinced at least a few of them are hoping for).

If Putin finally tired of his puppet and poloniumed him? Would it be the first assassination of a world leader that wouldn't actually cause a war to happen?

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    There are more subtle ways of poisoning someone than polonium. But then again, Trump's last FU to America would be making sure somehow his own autopsy report was never released.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    There are more subtle ways of poisoning someone than polonium. But then again, Trump's last FU to America would be making sure somehow his own autopsy report was never released.

Not because of cause of death though, because then the world would know the true size of his hands.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular

That was Conway, though. During the campaign, Conway was the undisputed master of spin and misdirection. No other Trumper can match the level of shameless deception that Conway displayed.

What's happening now is that there's only so much spin you can put on Trump's bullshit before you're outright lying instead of misleading. And since the election is over and Trump is President, there's no Clinton or Obama to shift attention / blame to.

Conway being labeled as not credible is a win. Should it have happened sooner? Hell yes. Do I wish that every other media outlet follow suit (obviously not Fox)? Absolutely.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Zomro wrote: »

That was Conway, though. During the campaign, Conway was the undisputed master of spin and misdirection. No other Trumper can match the level of shameless deception that Conway displayed.

What's happening now is that there's only so much spin you can put on Trump's bullshit before you're outright lying instead of misleading. And since the election is over and Trump is President, there's no Clinton or Obama to shift attention / blame to.

Conway being labeled as not credible is a win. Should it have happened sooner? Hell yes. Do I wish that every other media outlet follow suit (obviously not Fox)? Absolutely.

Yeah Conway is competent at spin. Scarily competent at spin. I mean it was mostly spinning out of control, but it worked like a charm

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
This discussion has been closed.