Options

Same but different [Chat]

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I mean I say "y'all" and, on occasion, "fixin' to" or uh

call blond people toeheads

but there's not really a cadence or anything

that sounds racist.

wat

toehead just means

blond person - mostly it refers to babies

It sounds like something you'd call Uma Thurman

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    credeiki wrote: »
    Although then at work we just had the monthly birthday celebration which was vaguely mardi gras themed (fairly decent king cake instead of the usual gross grocery store cake, so ok) and the security guy was tossing everyone mardi gras beads regardless of their unwilling body language/hostile expressions (which quite a few of us were sporting).

So I catch some beads tossed at me above my head because I have decent catching instincts from ultimate, and security guy's like "hah hah, [credeiki's] obviously done this before, eh? Hah, she's done this before" a couple of times.

Which--in an office of 50 people containing exactly 4 young women. NO. I mean don't do that to anyone, but especially not to one of the women, because it has a distinctly sexual connotation (ie, getting mardi gras beads for flashing people in New Orleans, which who knows if it's a thing but it's a pop culture thing) and it's completely inappropriate.

Hm maybe I should go back and confront the dude and be like 'yo that comment wasn't acceptable'; he's probably still in the lunch room

cred you just got a six figure job.

Let the fucking security guard have this one.

Oh he's not a security guard, he's like...er, I don't know, related to security clearances and handling of classified information.

And of course I did just go and take him aside and tell him that I understood his comment was meant as a joke, but it was inappropriate and I'd appreciate not being joked about in that way in the future, and he was like 'got it, thanks', so ok. I am appeased now. Can't let that shit slide though.

meanwhile ladies in my office are talking about Sweden having a paid lunch sex break

so that's what's going on here

i'm the only guy in my department of 18 or so

I mean, there is a contextual difference here

I'd be hellza uncomfortable with what cred's describing, but talking about politics and sex is kinda... tame, honestly.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    don't listen to DK's lies, spool sounds exactly like Slim Pickens

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I actually sound like I'm from Brooklyn

amateurhour on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    don't listen to DK's lies, spool sounds exactly like Slim Pickens

it's your right as an american to choose whatever alternative facts you like

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Although then at work we just had the monthly birthday celebration which was vaguely mardi gras themed (fairly decent king cake instead of the usual gross grocery store cake, so ok) and the security guy was tossing everyone mardi gras beads regardless of their unwilling body language/hostile expressions (which quite a few of us were sporting).

So I catch some beads tossed at me above my head because I have decent catching instincts from ultimate, and security guy's like "hah hah, [credeiki's] obviously done this before, eh? Hah, she's done this before" a couple of times.

Which--in an office of 50 people containing exactly 4 young women. NO. I mean don't do that to anyone, but especially not to one of the women, because it has a distinctly sexual connotation (ie, getting mardi gras beads for flashing people in New Orleans, which who knows if it's a thing but it's a pop culture thing) and it's completely inappropriate.

Hm maybe I should go back and confront the dude and be like 'yo that comment wasn't acceptable'; he's probably still in the lunch room

cred you just got a six figure job.

Let the fucking security guard have this one.

I don't think this is a fair reaction to a thoughtless casual comment that could be reasonably construed as sexual innuendo, given the context

Cred, I think for your own sake it would make the most sense not to pursue, but I would recommend copy/pasting the above (and adding any necessary objective detail such as date, time, names, etc) and emailing it to yourself so you have a record in case it is a pattern.

I think while it would be cathartic to pull him aside and have that one-to-one talk, the power difference here is definitely an issue as it will appear as though you are attempting to be disciplinary but are in a vertical where you don't have actual authority over him, and it's not clear that it would curb any future behavior. Still, a written record will be helpful in case it is repeated and can serve as documentation of a pattern of sexist commentary, esp if other women in the office noticed what was said and felt the same way.

I appreciate this though, I'm not letting anyone make sexual comments at my direction if I can avoid it

Granted there is even more there than usual because I have a degree of "if someone finds me attractive then gets too close they might kill me" built in but

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    As a general rule, if there's an annoying or buggy feature or thing you thought you should be able to do in GTA Online before and you haven't played the game in over 3 months... there's a non-zero chance your complaint isn't a real problem anymore.

It's probably the most evolved game I've ever seen since it's release, outside of actual MMOs.

Like, I was trying to convince a buddy of mine to play GTA Online and he had a litany of complaints about it, like:

- Changing clothes is a pain, there should be pre-saved outfit slots you can load as needed, like in Sleeping Dogs (there is)
    - The missions are short, boring one shots. There should be longer campaigns with a story (that's what Heists are)
    - There's nothing to do with all your money except buy vehicles and weapons (you can buy businesses, set up rackets and gangs, buy crazy shit like yachts and penthouse suites)
    - I hate that I always start out wherever I was last, it means if I end up out in the desert I'm just stuck there until I drive back and it's boring (you can change your spawn location from the options menu)
    - I don't like my dude's face, he has a fucked up chin, but they won't let me change it (you can now, it costs money tho)
    - There's nothing to discourage players from being assholes who blow up all your shit (there's a Mental State system that curtails a lot of shithead behavior)

And so on.

• Options
    does anyone not say y'all?

it's a useful word!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I say y'all all the time

I also context switch into good ol boy mode with folks round here. I don't particularly like it.

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Can I do all that in the 360 version?

Bet I can't. :(

The majority of the new content is next-gen/PC only

Heists, criminal enterprises, etc.

The 360/PS3 versions of GTAV are legacy games.

They did new heists, too?

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I just realized Bleric probably has a Texan accent and I can't reconcile the idea

I don't, people from Austin mostly don't have Texas accents

You may not use the accent in your day to day but surely you use more idioms than you have iron skillets under the stove.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Ludious on the other hand has a delightful drawl he tries his best to hide

yeah his speaking voice is very pleasant

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    I just bought an arduino kit and a Bluetooth Low Energy Module

Paid for Saturday delivery

I'm either going to make a bed remote or be the star of Watchdogs 3

Did it include opto isolated IO? That's what need for making a programmatically controlled connection from one wire to another. You'll also want a voltmeter to determine signal polarity.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D8KOZF4/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    there's a real cute dude playing singing folk music and playing guitar outside, I kinda want to turn down the store's soundtrack to listen

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I just realized Bleric probably has a Texan accent and I can't reconcile the idea

You may not use the accent in your day to day but surely you use more idioms than you have iron skillets under the stove.

Like a bear in a grocery store.

• Options
    there's a real cute dude playing singing folk music and playing guitar outside, I kinda want to turn down the store's soundtrack to listen

if your boss isn't there let him come in and play a concert

• Options

bull in a china shop

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I was born in Manassas, VA so I don't have an accent but I have a Confederate flag birthmark.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I need to sneak off and take a nap.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

it's a useful word!

It's only the American south as far as I know

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    man I wish america wasn't so homogeneous with its accents

they're interesting!

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

bull in a china shop

I'm fittin ta learn u somethin t'day.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    the Canadian raise that is often described as "ou" becoming "oo" isn't quite that

i'd describe as pronouncing "housed" almost exactly how a posh British person would say "hosed"

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular

if your boss isn't there let him come in and play a concert

he's busking, he'll do better out there

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

Stares at the Brawny paper towels a bit too long and a bit too lovingly?

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Ludious on the other hand has a delightful drawl he tries his best to hide

Or rugged, where if he tried to hide it, it would still be so broad and pronounced that nobody would notice he was doing a thing.

@TTODewback might be the state of Georgia in flesh form

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Can I do all that in the 360 version?

Bet I can't. :(

The majority of the new content is next-gen/PC only

Heists, criminal enterprises, etc.

The 360/PS3 versions of GTAV are legacy games.

They did new heists, too?

I don't think they did, no

But I was under the impression Heists weren't a thing the untermensch on 360 could access?

Maybe that's other stuff.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I of course have zero accent

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

it's a useful word!

it's very very common outside the american south actually; it's a very useful word and loads of people I know in the NE use it etc

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i say you guys

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options

Stares at the Brawny paper towels a bit too long and a bit too lovingly?

Nicely played.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

it's a useful word!

Lots of people don't say y'all. African Americans brought it up with them during the Great Migration, but they're pretty much the only non-US Southerners who use it.

I say "you guys." Also there's some other random regional variants like "yinz" or "you lot"

• Options
    If I could Eternal Sunshine my southern accent I'd do it in a heartbeat

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I like my voice until I hear it recorded and then I'm surprised anyone puts up with me.

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

it's a useful word!

i'm in WA and I say it all the time!

someone should study this, I feel like it's made significant strides into being part of GAE

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I was born in Manassas, VA so I don't have an accent but I have a Confederate flag birthmark.

UM IT'S CALLED BULL RUN YOU CARPETBAGGER

is what i assume people from real virginia say it's never really come up and i just live here

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I guess my first sight unseen arduino question is I'm going to be plugging 5 wires into the arduino from the remote cable. My kit comes with a bunch of shit but am I going to need a soldering iron or do the little boards you plug wires into have some kind of clips?

@Ludious
    (someone probably already answered but just in case):

summary.png?1448301011
    Wires like that tend to fit pretty snugly in the arduino board or a breadboard. Their purpose is to let you test out your circuits without soldering anything in place. Then, once everything is working, you build the "real" version that is properly held together. Or you just hide the breadboard in a box and tape everything down :P

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    i say you guys

youse guyz

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Going to wendy's today was a mistake, place was packed for lunch rush. One person was calling out orders to pickup by given name on receipts while the other was reciting the orders themselves by contents. So of course someone grabbed by order and I had to wait longer to get it made again.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I find y'all to be a great alternative to "guys". Feels bad saying "you guys" when it's literally not a single duder. Y'all just fits that niche so well.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
This discussion has been closed.