Options

Same but different [Chat]

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    I was born in Manassas, VA so I don't have an accent but I have a Confederate flag birthmark.

UM IT'S CALLED BULL RUN YOU CARPETBAGGER

is what i assume people from real virginia say it's never really come up and i just live here

"Battle of Bull Run" is the Yankee name. "Battle of Manassas" is the traitor name.

The carpet bagger was within you all along.

oh um

right

POCKET SAND
    Too late, now we have to Sherman you

crap

but i'm from detroit!

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    without y'all you wouldn't be able to say fuckally'all

Yall is a wonderful All-American phrase.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    So It Goes wrote: »
    i say you guys

youse guyz

the two youts

Maybe the laws of physics cease to exist on your stovetop

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    guys is a gender neutral term in my dialect

Dude, man, and bro are the same way for me. Though lady buds always laugh when I call them bro.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    credeiki i am remembering all the things the ladies say to me in the office

last time i wore my glasses one said i needed to wear those and more tight black tshirts

one calls me prince charming or prince eric (little mermaid) and just straight up and downs me with her eyes

okay but like tbf u are pretty handsome

wait shit i mean

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    My language is not distinctly Californian (for the most part, I do have some uptalk and I tend to speak quickly which is apparently a Norcal marker), but I have adopted y'all because it's useful, and probably other stuff.

I don't know of obvious Californian shibboleths that I have.

Hella was, but it's become very widespread (kinda like y'all) with the internet. I probably overuse "cool" and "rad," too.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i say you guys

youse guyz

the two youts

the hwaaat?

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    The one thing I really gotta pinch my nose on when playing GTA Online is the setting

Not the pseudo-LA side of it, the "Rockstar Games" side of it that puts dick and shit jokes everywhere and is allergic to sincerity. In the online, this is fairly easy to ignore by just not listening to radio ads (I tend to switch stations when a song finishes if it doesn't go right into another song) and not looking at any of the game's billboards or whatever too closely.

I despise the crass, juvenile "South Park" style garbage that Rockstar has always tried to pass off as humor. It's mean-spirited, cynical, arrogant, privileged, and petulant. It's the style of "jokes" where you "take shots at everyone" and as a result are just a cynical shithead.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    i only hear the southern part of my accent when i'm in the northeast though

like in iceland or scotland i sounded like i think i sound (which would be vaguely michiganish)

but in boston it was like HOOOOO DOGGIE AH TAILL Y'HWAT LET'S GO'N HAYVE A HOOTENANY

I'm considering going full on West Georgia redneck (Walt Goggins) at PAX East. Though Ludious would probably strangle me.

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »
    My language is not distinctly Californian (for the most part, I do have some uptalk and I tend to speak quickly which is apparently a Norcal marker), but I have adopted y'all because it's useful, and probably other stuff.

Hella was, but it's become very widespread (kinda like y'all) with the internet. I probably overuse "cool" and "rad," too.

i use cool and rad a lot but i think it's just because i grew up in the 80s

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Arch wrote: »

last time i wore my glasses one said i needed to wear those and more tight black tshirts

one calls me prince charming or prince eric (little mermaid) and just straight up and downs me with her eyes

wait shit i mean

I mean he's hot but that's still inappropes :P

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    i say you guys

youse guyz

the two youts

the hwaaat?

Oh excuse me. The two yooooouthzz...

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

what about radicool

:cool:

• Options
    cptrugged wrote: »
    i only hear the southern part of my accent when i'm in the northeast though

like in iceland or scotland i sounded like i think i sound (which would be vaguely michiganish)

but in boston it was like HOOOOO DOGGIE AH TAILL Y'HWAT LET'S GO'N HAYVE A HOOTENANY

I'm considering going full on West Georgia redneck (Walt Goggins) at PAX East. Though Ludious would probably strangle me.

Some of my fondest lol memories are asking you to go full Sherman's march on Ludious' ears in vent

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    The secretary here is arguing with my boss, a doctor, because he asked her to get a coffee, and he gave her like a $10 and she keeps trying to give him back his change

It's tiring just listening to it. It's been going on for almost 10 minutes now.

I don't get people who do the back and forth. I'm going to offer "here's your change back", then reaffirm "are you sure you don't want your change?", then just move on.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    You stick out like a sore thumb around here...

Oh yeah, you blend.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    sometimes when I get mad/upset I can feel the accent slip in just a bit, similar to my lisp

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options

what about radicool

Badical

• Options

what about radicool

tubular

• Options

wait shit i mean

no no its okay if its a guy duh shive

(but srsly tho its weird)

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    i say you guys

youse guyz

the two youts

the hwaaat?

Oh excuse me. The two yooooouthzz...

no, no, no

enunciate!

repeat after me, "the two entitled millennials..."

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options

Right, 90s California is deep in me.

I think California's huge population and cultural importance also means I have fewer shibboleths just due to a sort of micronational hegemony in some ways.

• Options

what about radicool

Badical

terribad

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular

what about radicool

Badical

terribad

my dad says that

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    sometimes when I get mad/upset I can feel the accent slip in just a bit, similar to my lisp

i am definitely more southern sounding if i'm tired

• Options

I have excised all furrner tones I think but I'm told I still sound philly/south jersey when upset

I mean I think I do all the time which is unfortunate, but others have acknowledged it when I'm in a tiff

• Options

what about radicool

Badical

terribad

Amazeballs

• Options

wait shit i mean

no no its okay if its a guy duh shive

(but srsly tho its weird)

It's definitely that perception, which is really fucked and I'm sorry he has to put up with it.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    my wife gets a southern accent after a few drinks.

my buddies wife goes full on trailer park after a few drinks.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I say terribad. Isn't terribad internet slang?

• Options
    I'm watching these videos on the accent tag on youtube of people with south carolina accents and if people listened to this they'd know that I have a sneakily hidden southern accent

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Rugged if you embarrass me at Pax East I'm going to get you drunk and dump you in a townie apartment complex with a Yankees cap on

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Fact: Walt Goggins is the only good thing to come out of the south.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    The secretary here is arguing with my boss, a doctor, because he asked her to get a coffee, and he gave her like a $10 and she keeps trying to give him back his change

It's tiring just listening to it. It's been going on for almost 10 minutes now.

I don't get people who do the back and forth. I'm going to offer "here's your change back", then reaffirm "are you sure you don't want your change?", then just move on.

I'd prefer if we had a culture where people just accepted the goddamned generous offerings of others without constantly being pig headed and stubborn in an effort to show humility. For fucks sake, Rebecca, just keep the fucking change.

• Options

what about radicool

Badical

terribad

Amazeballs

hmmm what's another one

• Options
    I hate how I pretty much become friends with lab undergrads right before they are about to graduate.

I'm increasingly fond of one of them (she's real cool and just got into a grad program) but she's graduating this semester.

Maybe if I get her to fail her classes.

• Options
    Walt Goggins sure does look like he was born in 1811

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Fact: Walt Goggins is the only good thing to come out of the south.

bourbon

You fuckin'...

• Options
    my wife gets a southern accent after a few drinks.

my buddies wife goes full on trailer park after a few drinks.

"Wait, where are your shoes? And where did you get that baby?"

• Options

what about radicool

tubular

Gnarly

This discussion has been closed.