Options

Same but different [Chat]

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I like my voice until I hear it recorded and then I'm surprised anyone puts up with me.

wat

You have a perfectly fine voice and manner of speaking.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I'm tryin to think if we have any chats with New England accents

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I just realized Bleric probably has a Texan accent and I can't reconcile the idea

I don't, people from Austin mostly don't have Texas accents

You may not use the accent in your day to day but surely you use more idioms than you have iron skillets under the stove.

hm I don't think so

mostly the things that make me stick out are behavioural

like, going camping and initially bringing my boots inside the tent and then, upon being asked why I would do that, going "uh scorpions???" and then going

oh right no scorpions here ha ahaha >>;

or being excited about rain

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i don't think of myself as having a southern accent and then i went to PAX fancy dinner and Will was like "where are you from again?" and i said "Richmond, Virginia" and like tobacco just appeared packed in my lip and my shoes flew off and my car turned into a donkey

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    @credeiki i am remembering all the things the ladies say to me in the office

last time i wore my glasses one said i needed to wear those and more tight black tshirts

one calls me prince charming or prince eric (little mermaid) and just straight up and downs me with her eyes

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    but relative to virginia i don't have a southern accent

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I find y'all to be a great alternative to "guys". Feels bad saying "you guys" when it's literally not a single duder. Y'all just fits that niche so well.

I spent years trying to deflect my accent back to the "proper" American one.

it was a losing battle.

• Options

i just assume jake does

that's how i read his posts anyway

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Ludious on the other hand has a delightful drawl he tries his best to hide

Or rugged, where if he tried to hide it, it would still be so broad and pronounced that nobody would notice he was doing a thing.

Honestly, I only notice any of my base southern accent when I'm talking to either country folks, cause I start to slide into the good stuff. Or when talking to folks from the Northeast, cause even the slightest of southern intonations sounds different when talking to them.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I mean I say "y'all" and, on occasion, "fixin' to" or uh

call blond people toeheads

but there's not really a cadence or anything

I guess sometimes I say "yes, sir" and it comes out "yee-ess surr" or sometimes I'll let out a "May'um"

I say y'all all the time though. It's useful.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2017
    Going to wendy's today pretty much any day was a mistake

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    man I wish america wasn't so homogeneous with its accents

they're interesting!
    I don't know, the regional/class implications of English accents seem exhausting.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I like my voice until I hear it recorded and then I'm surprised anyone puts up with me.

wat

You have a perfectly fine voice and manner of speaking.

thanks, buddy

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Can I do all that in the 360 version?

Bet I can't. :(

The majority of the new content is next-gen/PC only

Heists, criminal enterprises, etc.

The 360/PS3 versions of GTAV are legacy games.

They did new heists, too?

I don't think they did, no

But I was under the impression Heists weren't a thing the untermensch on 360 could access?

Maybe that's other stuff.

Nah, we have heists.

There was content parity cross-platform for a while. I forget when they stopped adding content to the 360, but I'm under the impression that outside of performance it's pretty much the same as current gen/PC was at the time. I haven't played it too much so I'm not too sure about content. For whatever reason I can't play GTA4 or 5 online over wireless and that's mostly been too much of a pain in the ass for me to bother with once I finished up the heists.

• Options
    i'm gonna sneak off to go see get out

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I mean I say "y'all" and, on occasion, "fixin' to" or uh

call blond people toeheads

but there's not really a cadence or anything

that sounds racist.

wat

toehead just means

blond person - mostly it refers to babies

It sounds like something you'd call Uma Thurman

It derives from this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tow

It basically means "blonde" in the sense of having hair that resembles tow

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    i don't think of myself as having a southern accent and then i went to PAX fancy dinner and Will was like "where are you from again?" and i said "Richmond, Virginia" and like tobacco just appeared packed in my lip and my shoes flew off and my car turned into a donkey

seattle area people know I'm from Renton because I pronounce it Re'-'n

yeah basically two glottal stops and barely any vowels

something about your hometown name

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    does anyone not say y'all?

it's a useful word!

It's only the American south as far as I know

i'm in WA and I say it all the time!

someone should study this, I feel like it's made significant strides into being part of GAE

Yeah, Ya'll became a pop culture thing far beyond it's original roots. I've heard Ya'll all over the place.

Like Dude.

• Options
    guys is a gender neutral term in my dialect

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    without y'all you wouldn't be able to say fuckally'all

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I was born in Manassas, VA so I don't have an accent but I have a Confederate flag birthmark.

UM IT'S CALLED BULL RUN YOU CARPETBAGGER

is what i assume people from real virginia say it's never really come up and i just live here

"Battle of Bull Run" is the Yankee name. "Battle of Manassas" is the traitor name.

The carpet bagger was within you all along.

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    update he's got one of those shoulder-mounted harmonicas

• Options
    I was born in Manassas, VA so I don't have an accent but I have a Confederate flag birthmark.

is what i assume people from real virginia say it's never really come up and i just live here

"Battle of Bull Run" is the Yankee name. "Battle of Manassas" is the traitor name.

oh um

right

POCKET SAND

• Options
    Dynagrip wrote: »

yeah the only time i say y'all is when i'm saying ally'allmotherfuckers

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Battle of Manasses.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I just realized Bleric probably has a Texan accent and I can't reconcile the idea

I don't, people from Austin mostly don't have Texas accents

You may not use the accent in your day to day but surely you use more idioms than you have iron skillets under the stove.

hm I don't think so

mostly the things that make me stick out are behavioural

like, going camping and initially bringing my boots inside the tent and then, upon being asked why I would do that, going "uh scorpions???" and then going

oh right no scorpions here ha ahaha >>;

or being excited about rain

tbf rain is exciting
    credeiki i am remembering all the things the ladies say to me in the office

last time i wore my glasses one said i needed to wear those and more tight black tshirts

one calls me prince charming or prince eric (little mermaid) and just straight up and downs me with her eyes

Yeah that's horribly inappropriate

re: y'all, I used to not say it (not out of like, any reasons, just isn't California dialect word) but the woman across the hall (/my old roommate) from Wyoming uses it, and I respect her a lot and kind of picked it up from her.

I miss her.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    also @Ludious you will want to bookmark this or one of the zillion other pages like it: https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tools/resistor-color-code-calculator/

It's how to determine the resistance of a resistor based on the little colored stripes.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    morning fellow bourgeoisie

i've always wanted to interrail around europe maybe i'll do that next year

*smokes European cigarettes*

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options

I like the particular condescension that comes from ally'all need to (x thing)

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SkO7m3yD6o

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

oh um

right

POCKET SAND
    Too late, now we have to Sherman you

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    i say you guys

youse guyz

the two youts

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm from the south and have worked hard to negate any traces of my southern accent. Which seems to have worked pretty well.

And uuuuugh I hate supervising high schoolers at lunch. They are such rude inconsiderate jerks a lot of the time.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

in select words you can hear it

room

drawer

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

Will when he's drunk goes townie

• Options
    i only hear the southern part of my accent when i'm in the northeast though

like in iceland or scotland i sounded like i think i sound (which would be vaguely michiganish)

but in boston it was like HOOOOO DOGGIE AH TAILL Y'HWAT LET'S GO'N HAYVE A HOOTENANY

• Options

I like the particular condescension that comes from ally'all need to (x thing)

it just works

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I'm from the south and have worked hard to negate any traces of my southern accent. Which seems to have worked pretty well.

And uuuuugh I hate supervising high schoolers at lunch. They are such rude inconsiderate jerks a lot of the time.

Most people are, really. They are just worse.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
This discussion has been closed.