Options

Volstagg the [chat]ious

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    I just want someone to explain the TNG meme to me and why several people instantly understood it

I am practically a meme PhD and this is vexxing me

well

it looks like someone made a star trek game or something

but everyone came out looking wonky

so KP was either using pre-existing memes in relation to said game, or his own imagination, made a post with the images and slightly off character names, much in the same way you might see rip-off action figures in other countries with names like HULKMAN or something

and i, knowing enough about star trek but never having watched it or been much of a fan, was able to sink into the RP'ing knowing full well that certain chatters would possibly be upset about the distortion of their beloved star trek characters

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I think I might have become too sad about unemployment to be very good at finding a job

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I just want someone to explain the TNG meme to me and why several people instantly understood it

I stumbled upon pictures of that kind of bad looking old Star Trek game and applied the general "dumb incorrect names" meme to it.

Original Work Do Not Steal

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Okay now someone tell me which of these zillion password managers to use

Preferably one that is free and has all the features of the paid ones

The only totally free one is KeePass, which requires you to manage the cloud side of it if wanted. This is the kind of thing you should probably pay for considering they have all your passwords.

Lastpass is $1/mo. I don't know what 1Password costs these days, but they don't charge you again until the next major version.

1 password is apparently on a subscription model now a days.

Keepass sounds nice unless my database gets lost due to a failing drive or something

A dollar a month or so sounds pretty reasonable though.

The idea with KeePass is that you can backup the database to <cloud provider of your choice> if you want, but then you run into all the same potential issues as 1Password/Lastpass/etc but with having to deal with multiple points of support. I almost did KeePass, but decided I didn't want to put in the effort and chose LastPass. I know some people here like 1Password better.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular

Sounds like a task for information boy. Command Roger to Engining, George is information boy still in the Jeff tube?

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    5 wires. Green is a part of every combo.

Green Brown: Feet Go Down
    Green Yellow: Feet go up
    Green Red: Head goes up
    Green Black: Head goes down

There's a head up/down button
    a feet up/down button
    and a both at the same time up/down button

Ok this is very good. I only need one more piece of info that you probably cannot give now but you can later. Just @ me.

Get a voltmeter and connect the black lead to the green wire and the red lead to any other color. You can do it just with your fingers pressing them together. What voltage does it read? Is it positive or negative? Opto-isolaters require that the current flow in only one direction so this will determine which wire goes in which terminal.

It would be normal for green to be ground and all the other wires to be some voltage between 3 and 24 (in which case the number is positive) but it could be exactly the opposite (the number would be negative).

I'll get a voltorb on the way home I will just walk through the high grass near the power plant

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

Seriously

Fuck you if you think just because I know computers to a level equivalent to being a surgeon I'm going to deal with a useless flab of whale shit bitching at me over my shoulder like

"WHY ISN'T IT FIXED YET I THOUGHT YOU WERE MR. COMPUTER"

that is fucking annoying

your (???)cousin did that when your POS went down at the golf course and I was all up my shit like "I dunno, I wasn't expecting to fix your POS systems today".

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    @Kid Presentable I'm sorry I was mean, your OP confused me with all its fancy images and polls and I thought there were videos but they were just pictures, it was all very confusing and I was overwhelmed and lashed out against the source of my confusion.

It's a good OP, I'm just bad and also tired.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    This was the birth of a meme you guys

And you combined it with another thread

Monsters

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Seriously

Fuck you if you think just because I know computers to a level equivalent to being a surgeon I'm going to deal with a useless flab of whale shit bitching at me over my shoulder like

Oh, you know how to install a hard drive? Can you make my windows 98 computer run the newest photoshop? WHY NOT I THOUGHT YOU WERE GOOD WITH THIS STUFF

I had a guy ask me if I could help make him a website since I had my own terrible website. I said I could, warily, and he launched into how he wanted to make a facebook that was better than facebook because it also had all these other features and could I help him with that?

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Keepass is free and absolutely fine if you don't mind keeping your database in the cloud yourself and just keeping it updated when you need to. I've been using it for years now.

cptrugged on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    James wrote: »
    Re: password managers.

I haven't used 1password, but I do know that LastPass is free, cross-platform, and AES-256 end-to-end encrypted. Even if they were hacked only an encrypted jumble would be leaked, and it would take the fastest supercomputers billions of years to brute-force said encrypted jumble.

Lastpass is only free if you don't change device class, which isn't super useful unless you don't use a smartphone.

it's also only like $45/yr

Lastpass is $12/year, 1Password is $36/year now apparently. But yeah, well worth the money either way, IMO.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    my favorite thing about the meme is that I and some others were able to instantly understand what KP was doing and slip easily into it

while others were confused and scared/angered

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    Thank you to everyone who attempted to partake in my Play-By-Post Star Trek role-playing experience, I had a lot of fun running the game for you all, I hope you'll meet back here next week to continue our adventure.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    (I'll go to target)

Go to target is for porton tupedo, please to turbo on lift to the brid immediate for information

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    This was the birth of a meme you guys

And you combined it with another thread

Monsters

Information Boy, 2017-2017

Never forget

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    navgoose wrote: »

Sounds like a task for information boy. Command Roger to Engining, George is information boy still in the Jeff tube?

Oh my god I burst into laughter just now at "Jeff tube"

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    they're good OPs brunt

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    This is lieutenant George

I can't really see anything Roger, am

Am I in the Jeff tube

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    People often ding LastPass because they store your file in their server

But I feel like those guys probably know more about security than I do about turning a Dropbox into Fort Knox

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    @TL DR this motherfucker found a bakery in columbus ohio with pretty white girls and he's speaking macedonian at them oh my lord how diverse is this city

• Options
    Guys you so fluidly and naturally did that TNG shit that I thought it was an existing meme. YOU CREATED A MEME RIGHT BEFORE MY VERY EYES

AMAZING

I FEEL LIKE JACQUES COUSTEAU

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Thank you to everyone who attempted to partake in my Play-By-Post Star Trek role-playing experience, I had a lot of fun running the game for you all, I hope you'll meet back here next week to continue our adventure.

Wait how much XP did your players earn

What about loot

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Seriously

that is fucking annoying

your (???)cousin did that when your POS went down at the golf course and I was all up my shit like "I dunno, I wasn't expecting to fix your POS systems today".

No this was my Mom and I was stopping by to double check something cause I'm nice.

instead I get harangued and told that if I break anything it's my fault.

Goddammit I'm furious at the moment. This isn't just fucking insulting to my own skills, that I built up over -years- of self taught shit but shit that I've proven time and again I'm fucking knowledgeable about AND KNOW WHAT I'M FUCKING TALKING ABOUT.

Like my Boss/Cousin knows that when I get a certain look that he should just back off. He's never regretted it yet.

Mom on the other hand assumes she fucking knows everything because she's called customer support like ten thousand times and jesus christ I cannot deal with this.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I will roleplay as Riker's googles

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    James wrote: »
    Re: password managers.

I haven't used 1password, but I do know that LastPass is free, cross-platform, and AES-256 end-to-end encrypted. Even if they were hacked only an encrypted jumble would be leaked, and it would take the fastest supercomputers billions of years to brute-force said encrypted jumble.

Lastpass is only free if you don't change device class, which isn't super useful unless you don't use a smartphone.

it's also only like $45/yr

Lastpass is $12/year, 1Password is $36/year now apparently. But yeah, well worth the money either way, IMO.

yeah $12 that's totally what i paid too

i have no idea it probably was $12

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I'm foaming at the fucking mouth right now

I'm liable to bite you guys/gals

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

possibly longest running play-by-post game in penny arcade history

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Guys you so fluidly and naturally did that TNG shit that I thought it was an existing meme. YOU CREATED A MEME RIGHT BEFORE MY VERY EYES

AMAZING

I FEEL LIKE JACQUES COUSTEAU

I feel like Jacques Chirac

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Seriously

that is fucking annoying

No this was my Mom and I was stopping by to double check something cause I'm nice.

Goddammit I'm furious at the moment. This isn't just fucking insulting to my own skills, that I built up over -years- of self taught shit but shit that I've proven time and again I'm fucking knowledgeable about AND KNOW WHAT I'M FUCKING TALKING ABOUT.

Like my Boss/Cousin knows that when I get a certain look that he should just back off. He's never regretted it yet.

Mom on the other hand assumes she fucking knows everything because she's called customer support like ten thousand times and jesus christ I cannot deal with this.

oh yeah I was just mentioning it

when you went to have the cigarette when everything was going to shit that day

he was like "is it fixed yet? What's wrong? Why don't you know what's wrong, aren't you a computer guy?"

I was like "lol I ain't here for this"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
  • Options
    i haven't had any problems with last pass. it can be a little wonky on certain sites, but it's a hell of a lot better than my old system of using the same password for everything

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    oh i see, i guess i bought a license instead of a subscription which is different somehow hmm

*old person*

for 1password?

if you have a license you can use 1password on whatever devices you want, but you have to host the repository yourself (something like dropbox or google drive to store the actual repository files)

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    That wasn't really a new meme. I feel it was mostly drawn from the language of Whomp's Ronny replace.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

Seriously

that is fucking annoying

sounds like someone needs to lay down the Law and the Lash

comic.php?date=11172004

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular

Seriously

Wow. I had a similar feeling like that yesterday.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    it turns out elmenent brain was the real information boy all along and I, the borgue

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Hello, [chat]

This is important information to consider:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfxUt9UM0nc

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    This is lieutenant George

I can't really see anything Roger, am

Am I in the Jeff tube

George, hurry back to the Tri Litho wrap coar. I'll send Ensign Redshirt in after Information Boy.

Captain, put down Earl's Tea we have a situation.

This discussion has been closed.