Options

[Sysadmin] Go to the new thread now, dog.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    She's the one who decided to sell our nice xerox printer that never failed for a brother that's broken down 3 times because the toner for the xerox was like $150 a pop instead of $50 (it also lasted 3 times as long).

So we've easily lost money on that decision, but I was overridden after I crunched the numbers and brought up the report.

This is p much it in a nutshell.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    I feel like most of the people who champion linux are wearing a dev hat at least part time.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    I feel like most of the people who champion linux are wearing a dev hat at least part time.

I am not a dev.

I love Linux. I've been using it since 96 on a personal level and my personal PC only runs Linux.

I'm an outlier though and am just a huge nerd.

Hasn't translated to any job stuff though. I need a cert for that I guess.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    If MS was smart they'd do like they did with Apple and make a Nix version of Office.

Man, those Apple people sure snatched that Office shit up quick after years of saying it wasn't that good.

That's because for a long time Office on Mac was atrocious. It was a pure second class citizen to Windows Office. They fixed that with 2016, and parity does wonderful things.

I've often wondered about that.

Most of the Apple software on PC is garbo as well, most notably iTunes (They stopped making that for PC, right?)

Wouldn't surprise me if it were some kind of ass-backwards pissing contest.

iTunes on Mac is also garbage. It isn't just on windows. Basically, iTunes is a piece of trash.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Entaru wrote: »

I am not a dev.

I love Linux. I've been using it since 96 on a personal level and my personal PC only runs Linux.

Well you're a fucking weirdo and you don't count.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    If MS was smart they'd do like they did with Apple and make a Nix version of Office.

Man, those Apple people sure snatched that Office shit up quick after years of saying it wasn't that good.

That's because for a long time Office on Mac was atrocious. It was a pure second class citizen to Windows Office. They fixed that with 2016, and parity does wonderful things.

Most of the Apple software on PC is garbo as well, most notably iTunes (They stopped making that for PC, right?)

iTunes on Mac is also garbage. It isn't just on windows. Basically, iTunes is a piece of trash.

The state of media players is odd.

I actually went back to WMP because it's really not that bad anymore... but I wish there were better things.

Maybe there are and I just don't know about them.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Eh

Linux just earns some malice because everyone's like "YEAH BUT I WANT TO USE A UI NOT SIT IN CONSOLE" which is fair.

But you don't need to in linux, you can, of course, do that, if you choose. The best part about linux is, if some shit hits the fan I can do that without loading up some UI software or go into work. I can SSH from my fucking phone, hit some scripts or some commands and I'm on my way with my day. Doing that level of work with RDP remotely is annoying. Adding users? A single command, takes a few seconds to do. DNS entries? Just as easy, use vim or pico or emacs, whatever floats your boat.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited March 2017

I am not a dev.

Well you're a fucking weirdo and you don't count.

I also bought a used server(and a rack of cisco equipment) to virtualize out more Linux machines on demand.

edit: I like computing as a concept. If I'd not been an idiot kid I'd be in comp sci research right now.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    You can straight up put debian or ubuntu on a desktop PC and practically do everything you do on a windows computer except maybe use Microsoft Office.

Thunderbird with IMAP is a much better outlook than outlook could ever hope to be.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I'll take bash over powershell anyday

The Powershell scripting language gives me migraines.

Could they possibly have made it any more convoluted?

you guys are killing me

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    You can straight up put debian or ubuntu on a desktop PC and practically do everything you do on a windows computer except maybe use Microsoft Office.

Thunderbird with IMAP is a much better outlook than outlook could ever hope to be.

Thats because Outlook sucks.

Low bar, my dude.

• Options
    Powershell is great.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Powershell is great.

I like using it.

I do not like scripting with it. It has a lot of potential and power, especially if you can link it up with VBA.

But it is a right bitch to learn that fucking syntax.

• Options
    I mean sure it's great Microsoft decided to join us in this century.

• Options
    microsoft would've been better off taking cygwin and tying .NET into it

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

I am not a dev.

I'm not a dev.

Most devs I know are Mac users.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    microsoft would've been better off taking cygwin and tying .NET into it

bash doesn't do remotely the same thing that powershell does

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    it does it better

• Options
    it does it better

no, it does CMD better

bash is still based on piping strings around

powershell pipes actual objects around

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    it does it better

no, it does CMD better

That's what perl is for, vowels. Gosh do you even linux bro?

This is ultimately why programming langauges came about. The OS' shell wasn't really the right place to start scripting larger scale things like this.

• Options
    They're very different philosophies in dealing with stuff.

I would rather have the responsibility for interpretation of data in my hands and not the shell's.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Powershell 1.0 wasn't that great when it came out in 2008. There was also the fact that it wasn't super well integrated, and in true microsoft fashion they annoyed people with the 2007/2010 generation of products where there were some functions that you could *only* do in powershell and not the UI, and some functions that you could *only* do in the UI and not in powershell. They've evolved/fixed a lot of that over time and it's pretty great now.

then you also have the fact that since powershell only came out in 2008 you had basically every sysadmin who had never had it before look at it and say "this is terrible and I hate it." While kids these days(tm) now are learning powershell in school as they're learning windows server so they're more pre-disposed to using it because they're learning it at the base level.

While there are always exceptions to the rule, I generally find that people who have the biggest disdain for powershell are the old/old school sysadmins who didn't "grow up" with it, while people who did like it a lot more. I finished my schooling a couple years before powershell was a thing, but I fall closer to the camp who grew up with it as it was evolving and I really do like it.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    Get off my lawn.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

Eh

Linux just earns some malice because everyone's like "YEAH BUT I WANT TO USE A UI NOT SIT IN CONSOLE" which is fair.

But you don't need to in linux, you can, of course, do that, if you choose. The best part about linux is, if some shit hits the fan I can do that without loading up some UI software or go into work. I can SSH from my fucking phone, hit some scripts or some commands and I'm on my way with my day. Doing that level of work with RDP remotely is annoying. Adding users? A single command, takes a few seconds to do. DNS entries? Just as easy, use vim or pico or emacs, whatever floats your boat.

Man, I dunno. Like, the whole purpose of linux, to me, is how straightforward working in bash is (ONCE I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING AND WHAT COMMANDS GET ME THERE.) And ultimately, that's the difference. If I want to be highly efficient at a task, so much so that a GUI comes between me and what I'm trying to do, oh my god doing it through a terminal in nix is so much better. But if I'm not sure exactly what needs to be done, a GUI is better, and if I'm GUIing then Windows is better.

Nix is better for admining, windows is better for workerbeeing, (and mac is better for deving). Straight up. And only the most masochistic nerds (so everyone in this thread) are going to spend all their time at work AND home mastering so many different things.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    powershell was an okay concept

but integrating objects and .net into it was bizarre as fuck

just like

make managing windows suck less, not a hard concept

can you add users from the command line?
    can you make groups?
    add DNS?
    edit text files

that's like the barest minimum you need to shoot for and it still sucks in powershell

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Eh

Man, I dunno. Like, the whole purpose of linux, to me, is how straightforward working in bash is (ONCE I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING AND WHAT COMMANDS GET ME THERE.) And ultimately, that's the difference. If I want to be highly efficient at a task, so much so that a GUI comes between me and what I'm trying to do, oh my god doing it through a terminal in nix is so much better. But if I'm not sure exactly what needs to be done, a GUI is better, and if I'm GUIing then Windows is better.

Nix is better for admining, windows is better for workerbeeing, (and mac is better for deving). Straight up. And only the most masochistic nerds (so everyone in this thread) are going to spend all their time at work AND home mastering so many different things.

Pft, visual studio 2017 best for devving 2017 5ever

• Options
    it does it better

no, it does CMD better

This is ultimately why programming langauges came about. The OS' shell wasn't really the right place to start scripting larger scale things like this.

it's backporting useful features that were created for programming into the shell in a way that makes a lot of sense

I mean, as an example, if I had ran some kind of reporting program (users, running processes, things like that) in bash it's going to give me a bunch of strings as output, maybe a csv or xml, right? Then if I want to narrow or search those I'm using grep or some third application designed to parse and search the file.

whereas in powershell you get back objects with structures
    run get-process to get a report of all running processes, save it to a variable, and now you can play and filter it using the same set of tools you can use for anything else in the system. Filter for properties with where-object. Drill down using dot notation if you already know what the structure is. View the structure with select-object if you don't know it.

it makes the shell more than "enter command: receive text". It allows you to functionally interact with the outputs of the shell within the shell.

• Options
    it does it better

no, it does CMD better

it's backporting useful features that were created for programming into the shell in a way that makes a lot of sense

I mean, as an example, if I had ran some kind of reporting program (users, running processes, things like that) in bash it's going to give me a bunch of strings as output, maybe a csv or xml, right? Then if I want to narrow or search those I'm using grep or some third application designed to parse and search the file.

run get-process to get a report of all running processes, save it to a variable, and now you can play and filter it using the same set of tools you can use for anything else in the system. Filter for properties with where-object. Drill down using dot notation if you already know what the structure is. View the structure with select-object if you don't know it.

it makes the shell more than "enter command: receive text". It allows you to functionally interact with the outputs of the shell within the shell.

YEAH BUT I COULDN'T START A PROGRAM REMOTELY VOWELS

• Options
    it does it better

no, it does CMD better

yeah because that program should have been a service and not a program

don't blame powershell because you wanted to break window's security model and it wouldn't let you

• Options
    I like "enter command:recieve text".

Ultimately I am asking the shell for information. I then can decide what to do with that info and there are a lot of ways for me to use it.

With Powershell you are constrained to the objects they decided for you. It bothers me.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    it does it better

no, it does CMD better

yeah because that program should have been a service and not a program

don't blame powershell because you wanted to break window's security model and it wouldn't let you

That's more a problem with the Windows security model then it is a pro for powershell.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    ITT: Fuck change.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    ITT: Fuck change.

Fuck bad change.

This is why Windows 8 got shit on, much to the chagrin of literally all the babby system admins the tried pretending it wasn't the worst shit that was ever dumped onto consumers ever.

Amazing fucking tablet experience.

Shitty fucking desktop experience. Even linux is better.

bowen on
  • Options

just like

can you make groups?
    add DNS?
    edit text files

that's like the barest minimum you need to shoot for and it still sucks in powershell

yes
    yes
    yes (probably? I've never messed with that tbh)
    there's a version of nano for windows

• Options
    What I'm saying was it was easier for me to slap ubuntu on a laptop for my father than it was to get him to understand and figure out windows 8.

• Options

just like

can you make groups?
    add DNS?
    edit text files

yes
    yes

is it as simple as "add user"

• Options
    donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    PowerShell has a lot of utility. I've personally just not had much opportunity to play with it since being introduced to it briefly in a Windows Admin class in college.
    Most of the time people just use Excel around here to make lists in table format.

Because tables in Word are just too hard.

Personally, I use Excel for tables because I don't feel like wasting time on creating the columns in Word when Excel already has them since I'm not going to be printing it anyway. Still stupid easy to use Word, though.

The state of media players is odd.

I actually went back to WMP because it's really not that bad anymore... but I wish there were better things.

Maybe there are and I just don't know about them.

VLC Media Player. Not all that easy to use for end users for more advanced features, but I've successfully taught several of our users the basics and it went very smoothly, and our users like that it plays videos better than WMP, which makes it fantastic for presentations to the board.

Also I guess there's no proper music library management in VLC, either. But I've not really needed that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Change for the sake of change is bad. Sometimes things are the way they are for 30 years because they fucking work and they work well.

• Options

just like

can you make groups?
    add DNS?
    edit text files

yes
    yes

is it as simple as "add user"

New-ADUser

• Options
    I like "enter command:recieve text".

Ultimately I am asking the shell for information. I then can decide what to do with that info and there are a lot of ways for me to use it.

With Powershell you are constrained to the objects they decided for you. It bothers me.

as opposed to the text it decides for you?

it's the same arbitrary information just packaged in a way that makes it easier to use

This discussion has been closed.