• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yes, my parents were really amazing public school teachers

And they had very few problems with "problem kids"

You just have to be patient and supportive and not be a doormat

And respect the kids, and they will respect you

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    while I don't work at a typical school I have learned that, much like adults, some kids are just plain assholes

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I may have intentionally choked someone unconscious the other day

• Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Funny thing we learnt from extensive testing and data: Home life does play a part in a student's engagement with learning but the effect teachers and school environment have is waaaay larger, so you can theoretically overcome that if you provide the right environment for them to meet their needs.

My mom has this in daycare all the time. Parents will complain about all these problems they have with a kid at home, and yet when they get to daycare, they're fine because the daycare staff gives them the attention they need, set and enforce proper boundaries, etc. It's weird--the parents notice the difference but refuse to listen to to the explanations for why.

BirdBoy works in early childhood education so through him, I can also confirm this. Kids are at times both exceedingly dumb and also exceedingly not dumb.

Just like adults really.

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    If I am to be critical of my degree, it's that is never really covers what it is like to engage kids that don't want to be there. Engaging lazy kids is possible. Its about keeping kids who are just dully defiant.

that's because nothing consistently works and it's all kinda shot in the dark stuff to see what sticks, imo

though maybe that's just my semi cynical social worker education

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    If I am to be critical of my degree, it's that is never really covers what it is like to engage kids that don't want to be there. Engaging lazy kids is possible. Its about keeping kids who are just dully defiant.

I'm pretty lucky in that my degree has a large portion of itself devoted to classroom management and behavioural studies which targets this exact issue. They of course stress that real-world practical experience is vital as well, but the amount of theory we look over is really fascinating as well as handy.

Behavioural studies and CRM despite being my favourite subject are way more different in real life than theory.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    yeah studies kind of break down when you have a kid that can barely read and had their mother OD in front of them at age 12

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    yeah studies kind of break down when you have a kid that can barely read and had their mother OD in front of them at age 12

or shit like "I'm only here because it's a condition of the homeless shelter I'm living in at 14 that I attend school". cool cool cool

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular

I would like more details provided said details don't get you infracted.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Butler wrote: »

I would like more details provided said details don't get you infracted.

Well there was some choking involved and then someone regained consciousness. Do not try this at home

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Was this mutually consenting choking?

If so, are both parties(choker and chokee) OK, both physically and mentally? (As, I'm guessing, unconsciousness is likely not the intended result either party is looking for)

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    It's time for bed, but I'm not at all tired (probably the soft drink I had two hours ago -bad move). Do I just get up and exercise now and sleep in tomorrow, or spend two hours trying to fall asleep and then hate myself because I won't be able to drag myself out of bed to exercise tomorrow morning?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I can go to sleep at anytime or sadly stay up for days and operate in auto pilot

Sadly I really do think after messaging everyone I found interesting within 500 miles and not getting a reply I have better odds meeting extraterrestrial life than ever meeting anyone
    It's sad that I really have no other place to talk to people than here
    I have a really hard time trying to be social with the people I work with

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Move.

Like, that's a little flippant? But yeah, move.

If it is actually that big of a deal (and I would be losing my mind in your shoes, I was fucking MISERABLE until I got out and found groups to be a part of), find a new job somewhere far, far away.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular

If you don't mind me asking, what was your degree/training like in terms of disability awareness and adjustments? I'm broadly familiar with the Victorian teaching curriculum in that respect (work stuff), but I'm curious about elsewhere in Aus.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I still have a decent sized bag of 1 and 2 cent coins somewhere.

I should do something neat with them.

Duh.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I have risen into godhood. I've just made a graph that lists the moment of a beam in multiples of distributed load times the square of the unit length. Worship me, peons!

Honestly, this is gonna make my life a lot easier in the foreseeable future and I'm kinda pissed off that the people who've taught me didn't know this.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Worship me, peons!

well ok

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Move.

If it is actually that big of a deal (and I would be losing my mind in your shoes, I was fucking MISERABLE until I got out and found groups to be a part of), find a new job somewhere far, far away.

I know but the problem is where and I don't want to end up in the same problem
    I probably have done damage to myself by being so miserable

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Move.

Australia! You can fight VeldrinJuggernut!

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    I have risen into godhood. I've just made a graph that lists the moment of a beam in multiples of distributed load times the square of the unit length. Worship me, peons!

Honestly, this is gonna make my life a lot easier in the foreseeable future and I'm kinda pissed off that the people who've taught me didn't know this.

How's it hold up against jet fuel though

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Brainleech

Buddy

I think you should seriously consider moving

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Move.

Hey I'm... we're?

A lover(s) not a fighter(s)

Maybe?

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Move.

Hey I'm... we're?

A lover(s) not a fighter(s)

Maybe?

Half lover, half fighter, all Juggdrin.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I love

this Millionaire's Sponge I made, it's P. good.
    szhklxradlel.jpg

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I love

this Millionaire's Sponge I made, it's P. good.
    szhklxradlel.jpg

Describe what this actually is to me, because it looks a little like Pouding Chomeur/Poor Man's Pudding and I will fucking go to TOWN on that

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    It is a bastardised Millionaires shortbread because I couldn't be bothered to make shortbread when I can just bung sponge ingredients in a bowl and blend them together.

Basically, it's a plain sponge base, then a layer of salted caramel and a topping of plain chocolate.

Here's the recipe if you're interested https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/11522/millionaires-shortbread (The sponge is a standard Victoria Sponge) My only addition is to advise you when making the caramel, blend the butter and sugar together first and get them nicely melted before you gradually add in the condensed milk, otherwise it can go a bit wonky.

(Also that Pouding Chomeur looks a lot like a sticky toffee pudding and thus sounds amazing :+1: )

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I ate millionaires cheescake once, because I was curious.
    never again.

• Options
    How desperate are you for sweets that you'll put chocolate and caramel on a sponge and eat it? You can just eat chocolate and caramel if that's what you want

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    hrm, that could be excellent, but it could also be hideously cloying and too sweet

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    hrm, that could be excellent, but it could also be hideously cloying and too sweet

it absolutely was.

• Options
    How desperate are you for sweets that you'll put chocolate and caramel on a sponge and eat it? You can just eat chocolate and caramel if that's what you want

I'm almost out of biscuits!

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Move.

I'm personally shooting for the triangle in NC. Shooting poorly, I might add.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    It is a bastardised Millionaires shortbread because I couldn't be bothered to make shortbread when I can just bung sponge ingredients in a bowl and blend them together.

Basically, it's a plain sponge base, then a layer of salted caramel and a topping of plain chocolate.

Here's the recipe if you're interested https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/11522/millionaires-shortbread (The sponge is a standard Victoria Sponge) My only addition is to advise you when making the caramel, blend the butter and sugar together first and get them nicely melted before you gradually add in the condensed milk, otherwise it can go a bit wonky.

(Also that Pouding Chomeur looks a lot like a sticky toffee pudding and thus sounds amazing :+1: )

French-Canadian coworkers are a blessing. One of my old ones used to bring Pouding Chomeur in for Christmas potlucks and aaaaa.

Sponge cakes are my favourite dessert, I'll give this a go!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    I'm trying to make up for time lost to depression with regard to college

But then my plan is to try to move up to Washington for school in the next couple years and prospects are looking good

I'm gonna post pictures of me with various adorable children in the family thread later

I spent most of last year working as a nanny which was wonderful

I also had two ingrown toenails removed last night before they got bad, that was less wonderful

I have some pictures of me post op that make me laugh cuz my feet wouldn't stop bleeding but I probably shouldn't post them

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options

But then my plan is to try to move up to Washington for school in the next couple years and prospects are looking good

I'm gonna post pictures of me with various adorable children in the family thread later

I also had two ingrown toenails removed last night before they got bad, that was less wonderful

I have some pictures of me post op that make me laugh cuz my feet wouldn't stop bleeding but I probably shouldn't post them

If you do, please, please spoiler and label them properly because some of us don't do well with stuff like that.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular

If you do, please, please spoiler and label them properly because some of us don't do well with stuff like that.

Yeah children freak me out.

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    What causes a dessert to be for millionares, exactly?

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    I have a vested interest I just won the lottery please catch me up to speed.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    What causes a dessert to be for millionares, exactly?

Charging 10 grand a slice, typically.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.