Options

For Sale: 2017 [Car thread] - No Rust! New Clutch! Blown Turbo!

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Are Hoosiers drag radials DOT rated? I know their R7/A7 slicks are. That technically makes them "legal"

I'm making some massive air quotes as I type this.

mRahmani on
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Yeah I put quotes around street legal because I don't think it would be in most places.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    jwalk wrote: »
    what part of that car is street legal? even in TX the tires, the windows, the seat belt/harness, the lack of airbags (probably) are not street legal...

not to mention the noise it makes... yeah it's legal, until you start the motor? great.

tires would have to be changed, windows probably aren't illegal, seat belt and harness should be fine, airbags aren't an issue and as long as you don't hammer it it still probably falls under noise ordinances, if but barely. For Oregon its 91dba measured at 25ft. Need to make sure it has working windshield wipers and lights/indicators and you're probably good to go.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    There was a massive internet thing a while back about Andy Frost's Red Victor 3, because he claimed it was the world's fastest road legal car, which was disputed because in road going trim (on street tyres, standard pump fuel, and without nitrous) it obviously wasn't as quick.

The other participants in that particular argument were a Texan drag team and somebody with a wild Ultima build, all applying different definitions of what "road legal" meant.

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Are Hoosiers drag radials DOT rated? I know their R7/A7 slicks are. That technically makes them "legal"

technically yes, and stamped "FOR COMPETITION ONLY" all over them.

pretty sure plexi windows aren't legal, but maybe I'm wrong. seat belts/harness has to be 1-button, red "PRESS" to release to be street legal. and that thing sounds over the limit just idling.. but the test is done at I believe at 75% rpm of redline... that thing would break the microphone :biggrin:

but probably in Texas, you just need to install a gun rack to be legal :+1:

jwalk on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Always back into your parking spaces if you can't pull through. It is superior in every way. Also park way the fuck away from everybody because they're stupid cocksuckers and suck at parking and driving and will likely leave paint on your three week old vehicle.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    jwalk wrote: »
    mRahmani wrote: »

technically yes, and stamped "FOR COMPETITION ONLY" all over them.

pretty sure plexi windows aren't legal, but maybe I'm wrong. seat belts/harness has to be 1-button, red "PRESS" to release to be street legal. and that thing sounds over the limit just idling.. but the test is done at I believe at 75% rpm of redline... that thing would break the microphone :biggrin:

but probably in Texas, you just need to install a gun rack to be legal :+1:

Plexi windows are legal in Australia, as long as they've been crash tested in the vehicle. Like the Porsche 911 GT3 RS, we get a plexi rear window, the US gets glass.

• Options
    I'm trying to remember why plexi was illegal and blanking on the reason. I know it had something to do with crash safety but can't remember what.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Toxic fumes if it burns?

• Options
    Some googling tells me plexiglass shatters, which, yeah that would be bad. As opposed to the DOT tempered glass that breaks into little chunks.

Lexan on the other hand seems a little murkier, and might actually be DOT approved in a few cases, but I'm having a hard time verifying that. Shatterproof, unlike plexi, and more scratch resistant.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Always back into your parking spaces if you can't pull through. It is superior in every way. Also park way the fuck away from everybody because they're stupid cocksuckers and suck at parking and driving and will likely leave paint on your three week old vehicle.

There are so many lots in LA that only allow head-in parking and they all make me mad.

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    Back in my solar car team days I was told that PMMA / acrylic / plexiglass / lucite / etc. isn't allowed in production cars because it's relatively flammable and modifying it to not be makes it useless as a windscreen. I just looked up the relevant federal reg and it say that anything touching (or within 0.5" of) the interior envelope of a car, truck, bus, etc., has to meet pretty strict flammability restrictions (max flame front spread). Interestingly, the list of specific items called out for compliance doesn't include the windscreen; it clearly meets the interior contact part, though. Hmmm. Maybe I was told a myth.

Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    So now that the weather is warming and I have a car I actually care about...any brands of soap/wax/ sponge (surely this does not matter much so long as it's soft enough?) to avoid? I'd like to keep this cheap and low maintenance. This pearl paintjob seemed dumb at first, but when the light catches it juuuust right man does my little spaceship look nice.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Jam a crate Coyote in there.

• Options
    People are coming to look at my Jeep today. Hopefully they want to buy it!

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Jam a crate Coyote in there.

That's exactly what I would do!
    And to appease Chris, no less than 6 turbos!

webguy20 wrote: »
    People are coming to look at my Jeep today. Hopefully they want to buy it!

Good luck!

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    So now that the weather is warming and I have a car I actually care about...any brands of soap/wax/ sponge (surely this does not matter much so long as it's soft enough?) to avoid? I'd like to keep this cheap and low maintenance. This pearl paintjob seemed dumb at first, but when the light catches it juuuust right man does my little spaceship look nice.

I honestly just use some old TurtleWax soap to clean the car, and I buy one of the Mother's detailing options that come with clay bars and wax in a combined package. That works for me, but I don't take it to car shows or anything like that.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Awesome. The ranger I had did not have a single wash in...probably 5-6 years. So I'm making sure I don't do anything dumb mostly. No car shows, not even cars and coffee. Just seeing it next to the sidewalk.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular

I am also interested in this question.

• Options
    Wooo the couple liked my Jeep and it's associated foibles. They are going to get some cash right now to buy it. Fingers crossed they don't ghost me.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm a big fan of wash & wax mixtures. You get most of the effect of a proper hand waxing for 0% effort. If you actually wash your car regularly the wax will stay on indefinitely. Not as good as doing the whole thing by hand, but...

• Options
    I'm a big fan of wash & wax mixtures. You get most of the effect of a proper hand waxing for 0% effort. If you actually wash your car regularly the wax will stay on indefinitely. Not as good as doing the whole thing by hand, but...

There is something zen about doing a really good clay bar/sealant/wax job though.

On the flipside I pay to have my car detailed once a year. It's well worth it and I don't have to expend any elbow grease.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    My car is badly in need of a full detail. I know it varies but what's a general cost of something like that?

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular

There is something zen about doing a really good clay bar/sealant/wax job though.

On the flipside I pay to have my car detailed once a year. It's well worth it and I don't have to expend any elbow grease.

Absolutely. I love doing a clay bar. But I don't always have a couple hours to do all that detail work, so...
    Cormac wrote: »
    My car is badly in need of a full detail. I know it varies but what's a general cost of something like that?

The guy who comes to my office once a month charges $130 for a full clean of interior and exterior, with wax and what I'm sure is Armor All on the plastic bits. I generally have him do my car twice a year.

• Options
    My car interior is fine but the paint is going to need a full clay bar, wax, sealant, and possibly some worth with cutting pads and compounds. A white car going through multiple upstate NY winters is really starting to need more attention than I can give is doing regular hand washes when the weather is good enough or touchless car washes whenever I get gas in the winter.

• Options

$20-50 depending on which kit you buy, and an afternoon. Feels really good once you're done though.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    To have a pro do it with a full steam clean/shampoo on the inside and a strip/seal/wax on the outside can run up to $200 or so.

If you're car is a shit show of grim though it can cost more. My brother charged $500 one time to clean an early 2000s dodge ram that had never been washed or cleaned, inside and out. It took him 2 days.

That truck looked almost new when he was done. It was a goddamn miracle.

Edit: People came back and bought the Jeep. W00t! Got my bill of sale and signed away the title for a nice stack of cash. Time to go out for a nice dinner with the wife and then pay off a couple credit cards.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I have a mark on my front fender.

I am pretty sure it is stripped down to the plastic.

I don't think the little touch up pen I have would cut it.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

At least if it is plastic it won't rust. Slap a bumper sticker on it.

My wife backed up into a low cinderblock wall and scratched the shit out of the bumper. Luckily its plastic and just looks slightly bad.

• Options

My wife backed up into a low cinderblock wall and scratched the shit out of the bumper. Luckily its plastic and just looks slightly bad.

but my car is still pretty new and all nice and shiny red!

• Options
    edited March 2017

but my car is still pretty new and all nice and shiny red!

The first ding on a new car is always super painful. You might be able to get some touch up paint from the dealer or directly from KIA.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I mean yeah I have a touch up paint pen thing but have no idea how to use it all the videos about it show something much smaller.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

Answering for Chris as well as myself.. Autoglym gear is the bees knees. I put some pictures in here of the red Volvo before we sold it, I should have done a before and after because the bonnet went from 'well i guess it needs a respray' to 'holy shit it's not looked this good in years' with a bunch of work. Their regular wash liquid and polish gear is enough to maintain a good paint job, use the polish before winter, after winter and some other point in the year and it'll be fresh as for years.

• Options
    I looked up some local detailers in my area, I'd rather support someone independent than a franchise like Ziebart, and prices range from $125-200'ish which after my tax return is a perfectly reasonable amount. One guy's Spring Special is a full interior and exterior detail including engine bay detailing, sealant applied to all surfaces, and a future free refresh service (usually costs $50) starting at $200. Once it's actually Spring here I'll probably be making an appointment with him.

• Options
    I looked up some local detailers in my area, I'd rather support someone independent than a franchise like Ziebart, and prices range from $125-200'ish which after my tax return is a perfectly reasonable amount. One guy's Spring Special is a full interior and exterior detail including engine bay detailing, sealant applied to all surfaces, and a future free refresh service (usually costs $50) starting at $200. Once it's actually Spring here I'll probably be making an appointment with him.

On the engine bay cleaning make sure they aren't using a power washer. While it is possible to do a great job with a power washer, it is ALSO really easy to fuck it up and damage something. If they do use power washers I bet they have a thing in the contract absolving them of any damages incurred.

Overall though it sounds like a great deal! A year detailing goes so far in extending lifespan of a vehicles surfaces. While detailing might cost $1000 over 5 years I bet it adds at least $2000 to the resale value. Besides the scratches on the bumper our Hyundai still looks almost factory fresh, not that it has almost 90,000 miles on it.

• Options
    Autoglym stuff is wonderful for cleaning. I dunno shit about what's the best wax and how to use a claybar. Our car looks terrible and is in desperate need of a professional detail and paint restoration. It IS 9 years old though...

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Autoglym stuff is wonderful for cleaning. I dunno shit about what's the best wax and how to use a claybar. Our car looks terrible and is in desperate need of a professional detail and paint restoration. It IS 9 years old though...

Again.. Autoglym paint restorer did amazing work on the Volvo, whack it on before the polish step, wonder if it's meant to be all cloudy and not rub off, do the polish and then be amazed.

• Options
    "do the polish"? I only know one Polish girl, and whilst she's definitely a lovely person and a real looker, she's married with a baby.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    hurray. another F1 season dawns on us and Mercedes is basically a full second over the field.

Again.

what a shame

This discussion has been closed.