Options

Foreign Policy in the Age of Trump

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I expect he doesn't actually even know or care what she is doing.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    He'd have to admit that a woman can do her job if he wanted to praise her work/ride her success.

And we all know the truth about Donald "Nobody Respects Women More Than I Do" Trump.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    He probably forgot her entirely.

"Nikki who? She does what?"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

This isn't going to be good.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Well that's not good as a PACOM Officer.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I don't like that.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    On top of pence cutting his hawaii trip short and a suspected nuke test tomorrow. Yeah I don't like that at all.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Good thing the senate doesn't have any important, funding related items to consider this week.

Great time to start a war.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Good thing the senate doesn't have any important, funding related items to consider this week.

Great time to start a war.

It would certainly be something he could point to in his first 100 days.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Uh

The ENTIRE Senate?

What the fuck?

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    House aides apparently are working to get a similar meeting at the WH.

So...bets on this being a briefing to get a declaration of war?

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Oghulk wrote: »

That would be a fun fight in the Senate.

Can you filibuster a war?

Sleep on
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Oghulk wrote: »

Yeah...they ain't getting that.

I'm not even sure they'd be able to sell a war if NK did test a nuke tomorrow.

Maximum on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I am trying real hard not to let this give me anxiety...It's not going all that well.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Technically, we never stopped being at war.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »

This isn't going to be good.

Plus side I guess is given there already was a declaration of war there are no responsibilities left for congress to abdicate if trump wants to try and start a big war.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Follow-up article: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-usa-idUSKBN17Q06N

Right now, just more sanctions.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Follow-up article: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-usa-idUSKBN17Q06N

Since when is a call for more UN sanctions grounds for calling the US Senate to the White House?

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Since when is a call for more UN sanctions grounds for calling the US Senate to the White House?

Since Trump has nothing else?

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

And has no idea what he's doing

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Since Trump's approval ratings suck and he wants to be seen as doing something so he makes a giant fuss to stir up press and get people excited and hungry for a fight on the news.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Actually, according to the BBC, it's two separate things (the US Senate being called in and the call for stricter UN sanctions are not connected): http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39694640

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    So what is the exact goal of the sanctions in terms of what NK would need to do to get them removed or loosened? I am no sure Trump has a clear goal in mind.

Couscous on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

When we got a manbaby as a president, who is equally as likely to have done it because he just got in the photoshopped pictures of his inauguration, as he is because he's going to bomb a place.

Regardless, based on the past few months, we're gonna get lots more info leaked here shortly.

Maybe some folks are actually following where our fleets are this time around too, so we can get some level of heads up if there's some buildup that is unusual.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular

Nobody knows?

It could be simply be optics. Look at this NK. We're super serious over here!

• Options
    edited April 2017

The Senate is kind of confused about that as well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/04/24/senate-staff-perplexed-by-unusual-white-house-private-briefing-on-north-korea/
    Senate staff perplexed by unusual White House private briefing on North Korea
    The White House announced Monday it would host an unusual private briefing on North Korea for the entire U.S. Senate, prompting questions from lawmakers over whether the Trump administration intends to use the event as a photo op ahead of his 100-day mark.
    Yet the location at the White House perplexed lawmakers who have grown accustomed to such briefings taking place in a secure location on Capitol Hill, where there is more room to handle such a large group.

Past administrations have often held briefings for smaller groups of about two dozen or fewer lawmakers in the White House Situation Room. But they have traditionally sent high-level aides to Capitol Hill to hold discussions with larger groups in secure, underground locations.
    Another senior aide, who also requested anonymity, said it was Trump’s idea to hold the meeting at the White House.

“I heard this came from Trump himself, that in a nutshell he said, ‘why don’t we have them up here instead?’” the aide said.
    Congressional staffers suggested that the briefing’s proximity to Trump would make it easy for him to “drop by” and perhaps take over the briefing.

The image of senators meeting with Trump at the White House on a top national security concern could be touted by the White House as a key moment in the run-up to Trump’s first 100 days in office — a milestone the president has mocked in recent days but that his administration is working aggressively to promote.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Could be a power play of some sort. So business as usual with North Korea, but with that Trump flair of pointless intimidation.

• Options
    So, like most things, it turned out to be nothing but optics for this administration.

I'll just be over here. Screaming into a pillow.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/04/24/senate-staff-perplexed-by-unusual-white-house-private-briefing-on-north-korea/
    The White House announced Monday it would host an unusual private briefing on North Korea for the entire U.S. Senate, prompting questions from lawmakers over whether the Trump administration intends to use the event as a photo op ahead of his 100-day mark.
    Yet the location at the White House perplexed lawmakers who have grown accustomed to such briefings taking place in a secure location on Capitol Hill, where there is more room to handle such a large group.

Past administrations have often held briefings for smaller groups of about two dozen or fewer lawmakers in the White House Situation Room. But they have traditionally sent high-level aides to Capitol Hill to hold discussions with larger groups in secure, underground locations.
    Another senior aide, who also requested anonymity, said it was Trump’s idea to hold the meeting at the White House.

“I heard this came from Trump himself, that in a nutshell he said, ‘why don’t we have them up here instead?’” the aide said.
    Congressional staffers suggested that the briefing’s proximity to Trump would make it easy for him to “drop by” and perhaps take over the briefing.

The image of senators meeting with Trump at the White House on a top national security concern could be touted by the White House as a key moment in the run-up to Trump’s first 100 days in office — a milestone the president has mocked in recent days but that his administration is working aggressively to promote.

This is the most plausible reason I can think of

Cause uh

Is there even like

A secure auditorium in the WH for 100 people

Are they going to brief the senators in the movie theatre

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

So it's just laziness then.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

So it's just laziness then.

Or Trump just likes the idea of 100 senators dancing for his pleasure.

Or that AND laziness.

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    LBJ signed the CRA in front of over 100 people, so I assume they'd use that room.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »

This is the most plausible reason I can think of

Cause uh

Is there even like

A secure auditorium in the WH for 100 people

Are they going to brief the senators in the movie theatre

"Briefing" actually screening of Team America

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    All I'm saying is, while the Senate is at the White House, if the band starts playing "Rains of Castamere," it's time to bug out.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    So what is the exact goal of the sanctions in terms of what NK would need to do to get them removed or loosened? I am no sure Trump has a clear goal in mind.

Build a hotel.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    It really sucks that apparently all republican senators have lost their own personal long term ambitions and egos

Trump could feed them dog treats in front of the cameras and they'd eat them

override367 on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

double technically, didn't we not actually start being at war?

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

double technically, didn't we not actually start being at war?

Presumably the UN mission is still authorized and no UN member (except DPRK, the targeted belligerent) needs authorization to start shooting again.

• Options
    OANN correspondent:
    twitter.com/TreyYingst/status/856635265972154368
    Trump is going to put a 20% tariff on soft lumber entering the US from Canada.

If this reminds you of a similar Bush administration action in 2002, wow, you have a good memory for trade disputes.

This discussion has been closed.