Options

It's not just Japan anymore! The whole world's watching to see [Persona 5]'s next move.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    in the end, the real persona 4 arena ultimax was in our hearts

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    10/25 or maybe 10/27
    The scene with Sojiro grilling the kids is in some ways the best scene in the game so far, though parts of it also felt really weirdly scripted

But htis game has basically jumped out of my hand and run down the street shouting about how no sir I most certainly will NOT be playing it for an extended period of time

I feel like I'm running out of time. Still haven't maxed out my Guts or my Proficiency...

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    10/25 or maybe 10/27
    The scene with Sojiro grilling the kids is in some ways the best scene in the game so far, though parts of it also felt really weirdly scripted

But htis game has basically jumped out of my hand and run down the street shouting about how no sir I most certainly will NOT be playing it for an extended period of time

I feel like I'm running out of time. Still haven't maxed out my Guts or my Proficiency...

time spoilers if you want a sense of how much time you have left
    You have two more cycles of the dungeon formula

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    More general thoughts up to 10/27
    All right so there's no question that Akechi is the traitor who sells you out, and Sae getting a calling card confirms my suspicion that the narrative framing of the story actually takes place in the Metaverse, and she's the theorized person whose cognition of Tokyo is literal enough that it's not easily distinguished from the real world except that it's full of shadows (like the ones in the intro, natch)

So her treasure is going to be related to her obsession with advancement leading her to abandon her sister and family blah blah, something about her dad

And that there's one more palace left after this implies to me that the public perception of the Phantom Thieves shifting, and how that changes Mementos, is going to come into play for the final dungeon

The shadow killer looked an awful lot like Sae, but I won't rule out Bald Rapist Politician while I'm at it; he seems more likely of the two to be a herald of whatever Bad God is actually at work behind the scenes in this game (I hope the game doesn't treat any of these revelations as a twist but we'll see). I haven't heard the equivalent of the Izanami story yet. Maybe I just missed it, somewhere, so there might not be a proper hint at what god I'm dealing with when this turns out to be a Shin Megami Tensei game after all

Sae being the black-masked individual would be cooler, though, if only because it would mean her shadow is operating independently of her and murdering other shadows. That's not likely! But it'd be neat

Then we got the twin wardens getting mushed back together, and a few more things

I wish this game felt more confident cramming longer scenes into single days! And that Haru getting over her dad's death and not blaming the party felt like it made more sense, or had been given room to breathe, or something. Right now it feels like they're pulling my leg, kind of, and Haru comes across very strange as a result.

God my Guts has to max out soon, there can't be that much more left of it

I will get Odin, Mother Harlot, Lucifer, and whatever the head of the Tower arcana is, so help me...

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i'm pretty sure this one doesn't have the equivalent of the izanami lecture

• Options
    edited May 2017
    BOOOOOOOO HISS

Nah I'm joshin' I know they can't use that multiple times

I just really liked that device

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

I'm sad the best teacher from 3 & 4 didn't appear in 5 to drop some occult science.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    there is an equivalent of the izanami lecture just more subtle

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    If I remember correctly 3's lecture was "this is what all those tarot cards represent".

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I'm actually not clear on something. Ending spoilers:
    Did they actually change Sae's heart?

IIRC, they didn't actually get her treasure out, so she kind of came to on her own, similar to Mishima (if you've maxed him out). Right?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I'm actually not clear on something. Ending spoilers:
    Did they actually change Sae's heart?

IIRC, they didn't actually get her treasure out, so she kind of came to on her own, similar to Mishima (if you've maxed him out). Right?
    I had the same observation, and people pointed out that while they didn't steal the treasure, they did negotiate with the shadow. I remember them saying in the very beginning that if the treasure wasn't stolen then their distortion would consume them and become permanent, but I'm wondering if that was a translation quirk.

• Options
    edited May 2017

Aw geez, did I fail to notice it?
    About the closest I've picked up on is Herlock Sholmes

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Monster design, so not really spoilers but

OF COURSE this thing is called Mara. Of course it is!

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options

Aw geez, did I fail to notice it?
    About the closest I've picked up on is Herlock Sholmes

it's very probable you can only notice it retroactively

it's
    when you're being told about the suits of cards and how the Heart used to be the Grail
    More general thoughts up to 10/27
    All right so there's no question that Akechi is the traitor who sells you out, and Sae getting a calling card confirms my suspicion that the narrative framing of the story actually takes place in the Metaverse, and she's the theorized person whose cognition of Tokyo is literal enough that it's not easily distinguished from the real world except that it's full of shadows (like the ones in the intro, natch)

So her treasure is going to be related to her obsession with advancement leading her to abandon her sister and family blah blah, something about her dad

And that there's one more palace left after this implies to me that the public perception of the Phantom Thieves shifting, and how that changes Mementos, is going to come into play for the final dungeon

The shadow killer looked an awful lot like Sae, but I won't rule out Bald Rapist Politician while I'm at it; he seems more likely of the two to be a herald of whatever Bad God is actually at work behind the scenes in this game (I hope the game doesn't treat any of these revelations as a twist but we'll see). I haven't heard the equivalent of the Izanami story yet. Maybe I just missed it, somewhere, so there might not be a proper hint at what god I'm dealing with when this turns out to be a Shin Megami Tensei game after all

Sae being the black-masked individual would be cooler, though, if only because it would mean her shadow is operating independently of her and murdering other shadows. That's not likely! But it'd be neat

Then we got the twin wardens getting mushed back together, and a few more things

I wish this game felt more confident cramming longer scenes into single days! And that Haru getting over her dad's death and not blaming the party felt like it made more sense, or had been given room to breathe, or something. Right now it feels like they're pulling my leg, kind of, and Haru comes across very strange as a result.

God my Guts has to max out soon, there can't be that much more left of it

I will get Odin, Mother Harlot, Lucifer, and whatever the head of the Tower arcana is, so help me...

Haru is a sociopath

This isn't even me joshing

Enjoy her Mementos dialogue!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    ...Huh!

Guess I better raise that Proficiency with the quickness and see what's up there

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

ending
    there's a reference to the holy grail but IIRC they don't talk about what it is or what it does, just that the heart suit in cards is based on it

and as far as i can remember yaldabaoth doesn't come up at all

• Options

ending
    there's a reference to the holy grail but IIRC they don't talk about what it is or what it does, just that the heart suit in cards is based on it

look at mister goalposts over here

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    One quibble about just after the 7th Palace.
    The game makes this big show of the three people who will carry on Shido's reforms for the sake of avoiding retribution for their crimes, going so far as to make it seem very nefarious and how they'll be responsible for what's coming next. And then...poof. You never see them again. What was even the point of showing them?

Did they have something to do with the widespread public brainwashing? Was it brainwashing? It's not clear at all. At least Persona 3 makes it evident over time that people are beginning to despair more and more as cultists spread the word, but here it's just one second "WOOHOO PHANTOM THIEVES!" and then the next "Who?" It makes zero sense.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    The game makes this big show of the three people who will carry on Shido's reforms for the sake of avoiding retribution for their crimes, going so far as to make it seem very nefarious and how they'll be responsible for what's coming next. And then...poof. You never see them again. What was even the point of showing them?

Did they have something to do with the widespread public brainwashing? Was it brainwashing? It's not clear at all. At least Persona 3 makes it evident over time that people are beginning to despair more and more as cultists spread the word, but here it's just one second "WOOHOO PHANTOM THIEVES!" and then the next "Who?" It makes zero sense.
    they're basically just standins for The Man, The Institution, etc.

the message of the finale is that you don't actually enact social change through taking out one Big Bad, their ideals outlive them. there is no single Patriarch we can kill to end toxic masculinity, if we take out some big guy there'll just be this groundswell to replace him. in order to enact social change like that, you have to make everyone want that social change

which admittedly is a message that gets muddled a bit when you do so by killing god but

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

the message of the finale is that you don't actually enact social change through taking out one Big Bad, their ideals outlive them. there is no single Patriarch we can kill to end toxic masculinity, if we take out some big guy there'll just be this groundswell to replace him. in order to enact social change like that, you have to make everyone want that social change

which admittedly is a message that gets muddled a bit when you do so by killing god but

12/24 spoilers
    It gets muddled to hell and back when you suddenly vanish from existence because the game says no one remembers you. That broke my sense of immersion immediately because I remembered when it said the Phantom Thieves had gone global. Is the game really trying to say the fucking INTERNET forgot about the biggest group of trolls since Anonymous? Hell I'd put my money on Anonymous sending fake calling cards to people for the lulz. Phantom Thieves would be a worldwide meme! Saying that people don't believe in their existence without explaining what the fuck just happened to erase their memories of the past eight months is ludicrous.

• Options

ending

eh i mean i guess technically sure the holy grail's in there

i'm just sayin' there's no lecture about the mythology behind it or behind yaldabaoth that foreshadows the ending

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

12/24 spoilers
    It gets muddled to hell and back when you suddenly vanish from existence because the game says no one remembers you. That broke my sense of immersion immediately because I remembered when it said the Phantom Thieves had gone global. Is the game really trying to say the fucking INTERNET forgot about the biggest group of trolls since Anonymous? Hell I'd put my money on Anonymous sending fake calling cards to people for the lulz. Phantom Thieves would be a worldwide meme! Saying that people don't believe in their existence without explaining what the fuck just happened to erase their memories of the past eight months is ludicrous.
    This is where being familliar with Japanese culture helps, because according to the director whose name I can't remember, it is a very Japanese thing to get all up in arms and protest something and then completely forget about it shortly thereafter, and that is what the Phantom Thieves stuff is based on

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ this last day is long.

Every night I get home from work thinking this will be the night, and it just keeps going...

• Options
    Post 7th palace
    Jeez, this is fuckin current. Like today's news. I wouldn't be surprised if there are videos made of Shido's confession dubbed over with Trump-isms and all his handlers and the elite hanger-ons are freaking the fuck out.

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options

ending

i'm just sayin' there's no lecture about the mythology behind it or behind yaldabaoth that foreshadows the ending
    It's probably a bit harder to stealthily name drop Yaldabaoth when the MC Persona is Arsene than it was to drop Izanami in 4 when the MC Persona was Izanagi.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    after experiencing a good chunk of this game vicariously i am now playing it

• Options
    Rivers in the Desert is stupid catchy and I've had it in my head the past few days but..wow, that's a bad place to have a random engrish pronunciation.

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Rivers in the Desert is a little hard to understand, but the real offender IMO is Whims of Fate.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    That one can get a little rough too but I actually cringe every time I'm listening and hear her belt out "Dee-sert"

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    daigo shijima takes to the night

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular

ending

It's probably a bit harder to stealthily name drop Yaldabaoth when the MC Persona is Arsene than it was to drop Izanami in 4 when the MC Persona was Izanagi.
    That's why the final boss should have been Herlock Shomes

• Options
    i feel like sae's look doesn't get commented on enough because imo she's got one of the best designs in franchise history

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I maintain it is for the best that the lyrics are incomprehensible

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    i feel like sae's look doesn't get commented on enough because imo she's got one of the best designs in franchise history

Sae's design is far and away the best in the game. I don't even know who would be second. Kawakami? Makoto? Ryuji? Noire?

It's not close is the point, and this game is chock full of good-ass designs

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    Man, the final boss was a cakewalk. Great game, but that end dragged on.
    Seriously Shido and the procession of Archangels were tougher fights, what gives? I was only lvl 77 and barely trying.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    12/24
    I just finished the 3rd mini boss archangel thing, and saved my game. Am I to expect this next area I walk into will be the end end? Or will I have to spend the rest of my entire life down here?

• Options
    Persona 5 was the second best selling game in the US last month.

• Options
    And the final boss defeated at what I'm pretty sure was close to 100:00.

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I did a 3.2 mile walk/run today.

The P5 soundtrack was actually perfect for this.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Rivers in the Desert is a little hard to understand, but the real offender IMO is Whims of Fate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA0nSkSxA3E

This should help.

The songs were written by Benjamin Franklin, who typically does all Atlus English songs(like the amazing Trauma Team ED).

It's just that Lyn's English isn't the best.

wVEsyIc.png
This discussion has been closed.