As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A [TV] Thread for Discussing Television

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    Watching Fortitude. How is Christopher Eccleston looking younger than he did on Dr Who?

Oh cool, someone else watching Fortitude. I'd love to know what you think of it, it's an odd show but I enjoyed it overall

I'm only onto the second episode. So far almost everybody is creepy, unlikable, or both. I'll give a proper update when I finish the season!

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Joolander wrote: »
    I'm sure all of you are aware by now of what a good show The Americans is,

But I just started binging it and I want to have this show's secret Soviet spy babies

I'd say its the best show currently airing on television.

It might actually be

I can't say for sure since I'm only in the middle of season 3

But gatdamn

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2017
    Rumer Willis is on Lip Synch Battle and dammit all if she doesn't look like someone took Demi Moore's face and Bruce Willis' face and put it through a computer program to simulate what their child might look like.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/210490/twin-peaks-ill-see-you-again-in-25-years#latest

Reminder that there's a Twin Peaks thread over here, as the premiere starts

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Oh wow. My first time able to see Syfy in a while and I see that not only does 12 Monkeys have a 3rd season that's going to air, but it's going to all air over the course of the 3-day weekend this weekend from Friday through Sunday. Never seen that kind of thing before.

It's also already been renewed for a 4th (and final) season for next year

Update this season/these 3 nights have been really good!
    Jennifer continues to steal the show with every scene she's in

I flipped out when James Callis (Gaius Baltar from BSG) guest starred for tonight's final 3 episodes

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Amarsi Un Po' might be one of my favorite episodes of television ever

Wasn't a fan of the dream sequence, felt like the wrong kind of tonal shift

But other than that it's a perfect hour of TV

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    The Leftovers
    This show is now starting to give me a huge amount of anxiety. Man I can't wait till they end this. I honestly don't know if what they're building to is horrible or brilliant.

No I don't.
  • Options
    DeliciousTacosDeliciousTacos Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    The Leftovers
    This show is now starting to give me a huge amount of anxiety. Man I can't wait till they end this. I honestly don't know if what they're building to is horrible or brilliant.
    Gosh that episode was devastating. The feeling I got when it faded to black is still sticking with me after waking up the next morning

DeliciousTacos on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

I can't believe they got away with the joke about how he built the robot.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I started watching "The Keepers" on Netflix this afternoon.

It has me piqued in a similar way to "Making a Murderer" but this time around my stomach is really in knots. It's such awfully distressing subject matter.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    OK... I want to like Downward Dog because the premise is amazing buuuut

The dialog written for the dog is fucking atrocious and I hate it.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    someone shouldve checked on me! I was up there all night making pickles!

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Good god The Leftovers, have some mercy on me
    I really hope the show doesn't end with everyone just dying one by one

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I was talking about this a bit in the D&D thread for The Leftovers. There were enough references to how much people liked this show in the TV thread here and over there that I decided to finally try The Leftovers. Less than 2 weeks later I'm completely caught up and wishing I'd spaced it out just a bit more, or started just a bit later, so that I wouldn't be stuck waiting on these last couple episodes like everyone else. That said, HOLY SHIT this show. The first season was intriguing and enjoyable enough to keep me going. Seasons 2 and 3, though, are a mix of pathos and humor that I don't know if I've ever seen done so well before. All throughout it does a fine job of going in directions you don't see coming. The music choices are fucking fantastic, be they licensed or scored. I've had some great laughs at times, but even more so this show has produced some of the most depressing moments of television that I've ever sat through while wanting to see more.

And the most recent episode, that I just caught up on? Made my eyes water. More than once.

I really wish I didn't have to wait now to finish it up, but thank you to anyone and everyone who talked about how much they were enjoying the final season in other threads.

Ketar on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I have no idea what The Leftovers is about.

I presume some people have been left?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

Its a rapture show right

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

You know how sometimes you eat food and there's food, like, remaining?

Well I don't know a good phrase for that, but the show's about that.

• Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Its a rapture show right

Not really? 2% of the world's population spontaneously disappeared at the same instant on October 14th. Nobody knows how or why. There are no commonalities that remotely explain it. Many of them were horrible people, so the Rapture aspect seems unlikely. That said, I believe from the beginning the makers of the show made it clear they would never explain the disappearance. The show's not about that, it's about the aftermath.

The show picks up 3 years later, and is about how such an event would affect the people who didn't disappear. And it is much, much better than I expected after my initial dismissal upon hearing the premise.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

A doggy bag?

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »

Its a rapture show right

Not really? 2% of the world's population spontaneously disappeared at the same instant on October 14th. Nobody knows how or why. There are no commonalities that remotely explain it. Many of them were horrible people, so the Rapture aspect seems unlikely. That said, I believe from the beginning the makers of the show made it clear they would never explain the disappearance. The show's not about that, it's about the aftermath.

The show picks up 3 years later, and is about how such an event would affect the people who didn't disappear. And it is much, much better than I expected after my initial dismissal upon hearing the premise.

Only 2%!?!?

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

A doggy bag?

Yeah, it's about that.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    98% isn't leftovers, it's the entire meal with just the mushrooms picked out.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

Its a rapture show right

Only 2%!?!?

That's still millions of unsolved instant disappearances

That's gonna fuck people up

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    98% isn't leftovers, it's the entire meal with just the mushrooms picked out.

Mushrooms are gross anyway and we're better off without them. I assume that the show is the same thing: everything is better, the end.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Its a rapture show right

Only 2%!?!?

The premise seems solid, yeah.

The title is what's suspect here.

• Options

Its a rapture show right

Only 2%!?!?

140 million is the number they use in the show.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

Its a rapture show right

Only 2%!?!?

Yeah. And it's not like the show follows people unaffected by the Great Departure.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    One of the characters on the Leftovers is a priest (or minister or pastor I've never been the church and will never know the difference to my great shame) who goes around with flyers of people who disappeared, airing all their dirty laundry, to prove that it wasn't the Rapture, because a lot of these people were assholes

He is...unpopular

And probably the best character on the show

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It's very simple: a priest is allowed to drink, but not to marry. A pastor is allowed to marry, but not to drink. A minister is not allowed to do either, but gets all the casseroles he wants.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Jedoc wrote: »
    It's very simple: a priest is allowed to drink, but not to marry. A pastor is allowed to marry, but not to drink. A minister is not allowed to do either, but gets all the casseroles he wants.

For Catholics, a pastor is what you call the head priest at a particular church

So that's a pastor that can't marry

Jimothy on
  • Options
    Yeah, pastor and minister are both pretty generic and overlapping terms. And I'm not at all sure there are temperance sects that don't allow clerical marriage. But if we both pretend that's not the case, we can all enjoy this awesome joke about the Protestant obsession with potlucks together.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    One of the characters on the Leftovers is a priest (or minister or pastor I've never been the church and will never know the difference to my great shame) who goes around with flyers of people who disappeared, airing all their dirty laundry, to prove that it wasn't the Rapture, because a lot of these people were assholes

He is...unpopular

And probably the best character on the show

As Shitty as that sounds given how dumb people are he's probably prevented a few cults form forming

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Don't worry there's still a cult

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Jason Mantzoukas needs to be in more things.

• Options

This is always true, but is it in response to anything in particular?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Yeah, pastor and minister are both pretty generic and overlapping terms. And I'm not at all sure there are temperance sects that don't allow clerical marriage. But if we both pretend that's not the case, we can all enjoy this awesome joke about the Protestant obsession with potlucks together.

potlucks are great though??

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Some ministers can definitely marry. And would probably be looked at oddly if they didn't.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

B99 maybe?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

He's back on B99 this week.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    this week's brooklyn nine nine went too far
    how dare you kill pizza rat

6vjsgrerts6r.png

This discussion has been closed.