Options

DC Comics: They're Metal

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Theo you and I can be don't really like All-Star Superman friends

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Furu wrote: »
    Zack Snyder stepping down from justice league post-production due to the suicide of his daughter

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zack-snyder-steps-down-justice-league-deal-family-tragedy-1006455

Nothing but love and respect for Zack and for his family. I respect Zack for realizing his work was not his way of coping and healing, and nothing but love for his family and condolences for the family's tragic loss.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

all-star superman never clicked with me. the bizarro issue was maybe the worst comic i've ever read

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    There were bits of All-Star Superman that I liked, but Morrison always has a weird distance from his characters that makes it more difficult to really feel for them. The ideas always come out as more important than who the ideas are happening to. I don't think I ultimately finished the series.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Dark Nights: Metal will introduce a "Dark Multiverse"

Not dark as in "mature" but as in dark matter.
    You’ll see on page 2, the Justice League in the craziest battle armor in a war gladiator pit, and it's meant to be just sort of summer fun. There’s dinosaurs, robots... The idea is that we want you to have fun rocking out with us and feeling like DC has had a good year.

mwh4drvjfwvz.jpg

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I love that they've all got maces and swords and Aquaman is all "this stick is pointy enough. I can do damage with it"

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    i'll say that i admire zack snyder for being able to step down and separate his work and his life

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the morningstar seems like the worst possible weapon for flash

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Not if he gives it some speed force juice so it can move as fast as he can

Then it is terrifying

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Keith wrote: »
    You’ll see on page 2, the Justice League in the craziest battle armor in a war gladiator pit, and it's meant to be just sort of summer fun. There’s dinosaurs, robots... The idea is that we want you to have fun rocking out with us and feeling like DC has had a good year.
    i dunno that I'm into the concept but this is very very good messaging

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

all-star superman never clicked with me. the bizarro issue was maybe the worst comic i've ever read

Oh so that's why you sold me your copy of it

• Options

Superman is the one with the morningstar though

Flash has the wildly ahistoric flail

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    if you google image search morning star that will be in the results!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

Oh so that's why you sold me your copy of it

look i sold a lot of people a lot of stuff i didn't like

pretty sure i had some high fantasy justice league elseworlds comics as well

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    All Star Superman felt very silver-age to me. For better or worse.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I dunno, silver age Superman and Superboy comics are some of my favorite things in the whole world and it left me a little cold. It felt like it was playing with the trappings of silver age stories, without really getting the feel of them

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    i wish Injustice Aquaman had a beard, he looks way too Ken Doll for my liking

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Has DC ever done a cyborg storyline like the one in teen titans where cyborg got stuck in the past'

Because damn was that a great story

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    I agree that the Bizarro stuff was the weakest part of All-Star Superman.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    August seems to have at least a couple of heroes taking a few steps on the villainous side if these covers have any truth to them.
    ayoVNHK.jpgUbtXIf7.jpg

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

mwh4drvjfwvz.jpg

I love Superman's expression here: "Why am I wearing this?"

Meanwhile, Wonder Woman: "Normal day at the office"

Joolander on
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    That was still happening?

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    They can have Liman do the BvS sequel,
    Martha
    Die
    Repeat.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

mwh4drvjfwvz.jpg

I love Superman's expression here: "Why am I wearing this?"

Meanwhile, Wonder Woman: "Normal day at the office"

And that everyone else clearly scavenged their shit or threw it together last minute, but Batman was like "Of course I have some custom bat-theme gladiator armor. I carry it around in a little capsule in my belt, just add water."

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    So I'm catching up on Wonder Woman and man I really like Rebirth Circe. She's never really done much for me in the past but this version of her is super dope.
    THYgVCP.jpg?1
    bJiIS7m.jpg
    3kMEdUZ.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I finished Injustice 2's story and was pleasantly surprised at how much...resonance there was in it, I guess?

Having not played the first game, they handle "Evil Superman" really well, because he's not evil, he's just a version of Superman that has been pushed to make some hard choices and he and Bruce have actual conflict and debate over it based on their characters

They essentially take the stories from the end of Man Of Steel and Batman V. Superman and went "okay but what if the comic book characters Batman and Superman were in it instead of whoever those people were"

Most importantly, the conflict between them comes from a place of "I'm disappointed things have gone this way and I wish we were still friends," just like the Marvel Civil War movie did it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I finished Injustice 2's story and was pleasantly surprised at how much...resonance there was in it, I guess?

Having not played the first game, they handle "Evil Superman" really well, because he's not evil, he's just a version of Superman that has been pushed to make some hard choices and he and Bruce have actual conflict and debate over it based on their characters

They essentially take the stories from the end of Man Of Steel and Batman V. Superman and went "okay but what if the comic book characters Batman and Superman were in it instead of whoever those people were"

Most importantly, the conflict between them comes from a place of "I'm disappointed things have gone this way and I wish we were still friends," just like the Marvel Civil War movie did it
    The scene where Clark is the only one who notices Bruce held the meeting on the old Justice League table and calls him on it is genuinely fantastic

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    so I've done enough to "finish" it, but I haven't gone back and done all the opposite sides of the double-fights

does completing all permutations of the fights unlock more scenes, or just like a bonus ending? or is it the "true" ending

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    JLofA is a classic "one-off between arcs to show the team hanging" issue this week, which are frequently some of my favorite issues, and it is real good. Killer Frost and the Atom are super cute together. This page was probably my favorite though, as it really helps sell the JLofA being the public outreach Justice League.
    bq5lW2Q.jpg?1

There's another great scene where Canary and Frost are doing tai chi to help Caitlyn focus and Dinah tells her it is INCREDIBLY obvious Ryan and her are super into each other.

"Listen, Oliver's got a Robin Hood crush. We met in a street fight and both have colors in front of our work names--You think I don't recognize a strange date when I see one?"

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Hey y'all, what are the big DC superhero stories being published right now?

I'm working on a little no-nothing thingy to distract me from work (its the thingy I talked to Blank & Gustav with a while back for Marvel).

I currently have:

* Aquaman
    * Batman
    * Blue-Beetle
    * Cyborg
    * Dr Fate
    * The Flash
    * Green Arrow
    * The Green Lantern
    * Hellblazer
    * The Martian Manhunter
    * The New Gods
    * Suicide Squad
    * Superman
    * Wonder Woman

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    JLA, Justice League, Green Lantern Corp, All-star Batman, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Nightwing, Super Sons

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Hmm...

I'm trying to figure out how I'd do a restructuring of DC comics akin to this model for Marvel:

The Avengers Season One [sold as an omnibus]
    * Captain America: The First Avenger #1-5 [sold as a trade]
    * The Incredible Hulk #1-5 [sold as a trade]
    * The Invincible Iron Man #1-5 [sold as a trade]
    * Thor: God of Thunder #1-5 [sold as a trade]
    * Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes #1-5 [sold as a trade]

• Options
    edited May 2017
    The Justice League
    Wonder Woman
    The Flash
    Green Lantern
    Aquaman: King of Atlantis
    Justice League: The World's Greatest Superheroes

Superman: The Man of Steel
    Superman
    Supergirl
    Lex Luthor: Man of Tomorrow
    Superboy

Batman: The Dark Knight
    Batman
    Nightwing
    Batgirl
    Gotham Central

Shadowpact
    Doctor Fate
    John Constantine: The Hellblazer
    Blue Beetle
    Shadowpact

The DC Universe
    Suicide Squad
    Teen Titans
    Green Arrow
    The New Gods

That's how I would do it, anyways

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Thanks Blank!

Hmm... I'd probably want it to look a lot more diverse in those bundles (more akin to your Justice League).

I'll think on this.

• Options
    Eh, I think the superhero "family" structure that DC has with its lines is something fairly unique to them and would be a focus

Marvel has a few similar things but nothing like the Batfamily

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    What about something like this?

I was more focused on overall team composition and having a balance of different feels for the four primary books before they all end up in their culmination title.
    DC: Origins
    Season 1
    The Justice League Season One [sold as an omnibus]
    * Cyborg #1-5 [sold as a trade] -- Inspirational Science-Fiction Superheroics
    * The Flash #1-5 [sold as a trade] -- Inspirational Comedic Superheroics
    * Superman: The Man of Steel #1-5 [sold as a trade] -- Inspirational Classic Superheroics
    * Wonder Woman #1-5 [sold as a trade] -- Inspirational Fantasy Superheroics
    * Justice League: The World's Greatest Superheroes #1-5 [sold as a trade]

This is your standard DC superhero bundle, featuring some diversity in sci-fi, fantasy, classic & comedic story-lines.
    The Justice Society Season One [sold as an omnibus]
    * Aquaman: King of Atlantis #1-5 [sold as a trade] -- Inspirational Fantasy Superheroics
    * Green Lantern #1-5 [sold as a trade] -- Inspirational Science-Fiction Superheroics
    * Plastic Man #1-5 [sold as a trade] -- Inspirational Comedic Superheroics
    * Supergirl #1-5 [sold as a trade] -- Inspirational Classic Superheroics
    * The Justice Society #1-5 [sold as a trade]

A follow-up to the above title, but with this team focused on a slightly different aspect of DC super-heroics. I don't know exactly what that is or would look like, but I just wanted to break-up the different big heroes while still maintaining balance between bundles.
    Stormwatch Season One [sold as an omnibus]
    * Green Arrow #1-5 [sold as a trade] -- Mysterious Street-Level Superheroics
    * The Martian Manhunter #1-5 [sold as a trade] -- Mysterious Classic Superheroics
    * Zatanna #1-5 [sold as a trade] -- Mysterious Fantasy Superheroics
    * Teen Titans #1-5 [sold as a trade] -- Mysterious Team-based Superheroics
    * Stormwatch #1-5 [sold as a trade]

This is your deductive superhero group that are focused on unearthing mysteries and halting more insidious plots in the world.
    Gotham Knights Season One [sold as an omnibus]
    * Batman #1-5 [sold as a trade] -- Noir Street-Level Superheroics
    * The Dark Knights #1-5 [sold as a trade] -- Noir Team-Based Superheroics
    * Gotham Central #1-5 [sold as a trade] -- Noir Street-Level Superheroics
    * The Rogue’s Gallery #1-5 [sold as a trade] -- Noir Street-Level Supervillanous
    * Gotham Knights #1-5 [sold as a trade]

The noir bundle of street-level stuff in Gotham. The first book is solely Batman-focused, while the second is about the other members of the Bat-family. The third is about the struggle of the local Gotham PD and the book after that is centered on Gotham's iconic villains trying to run schemes/plots.
    Shadowpact Season One [sold as an omnibus]
    * Blue Beetle #1-5 [sold as a trade] -- Magical Science-Fiction Superheroics
    * Doctor Fate #1-5 [sold as a trade] -- Magical Fantasy Superheroics
    * John Constantine: The Hellblazer #1-5 [sold as a trade] -- Magical Street-Level Superheroics
    * Shazam #1-5 [sold as a trade] -- Magical Classic Superheroics
    * Shadowpact #1-5 [sold as a trade]

This last bundle is magic-focused, dealing with the different arcane/divine threats to the world.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I don't have enough strong DC opinions to really go line wide. It would basically be all Superman books, Jack Kirby's DC stuff, and like weird stuff like Swamp Thing and Detective Chimp. And I guess a Batman book. People seem to like him.

But I would pitch the hell out of Lois Lane: Investigative Journalist. Just about what that kind of journalism would look like in a world of mad science and rampaging giant robots.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Honestly most of what I want out of the DC Universe is weird aftershock stuff. Give me Lois Lane: Investigative Journalist, give me Gotham Central, give me Project Cadmus, give me the Suicide Squad, all that sort of stuff. The big titans of the DC universe are fine, I guess, but what I find more interesting is how everyone else deals with them.

• Options
    Give me an entire book about managing Haley's Circus and how hard it is to get people excited for the trapeze and the high wire in a world with flying aliens and actual fucking wizards

This discussion has been closed.