Options

[Obamacare repeal]: Senate AHCA rewrite - kill Medicaid to fund tax cuts for the rich

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I'm upset that Democrats aren't screaming from the rooftops that the reason insurance companies are dropping out and hiking premiums is to insulate their selves from unpredictable Republican activity.

It wouldn't even be just their word against the Republicans, companies have put out statements attesting to this and that message needs to get out.

Because the no coverage higher premium death spiral is their only talking point on this issue and it's their own damn fault.

I've seen this from a bunch of Democrats, actually.

It's not enough, it's not getting out to the media as a message. When a talking head on a news show says one is pulling out or raising premiums their next sentence needs to be "And Democrats say it's because..."

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Gyral wrote: »
    navgoose wrote: »
    You guys underestimate how powerful the GOP message of killing Obamacare resonates with people. I'm in Oregon, land of the blue, and people are happy for gutting of medicaid. They bought into the idea Obamacare is enabling lazy moochers, Trump will still care for the legit sick they say.
    This is a straight "Fuck you, got mine" mentality. If any of these people had someone in their lives directly impacted by this, they'd be shitting their pants right now.

Well i'm going to be losing my health insurance over this (WA state medicaid expansion). I've yet to hear shit in response from any of my relatives who voted for him.

Straight out of the mouth of coworker next to me: "pay for it like the rest of us."

It isn't even quite "fuck you, got mine." It's pure spite people may have things a tad easier than before.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    You guys underestimate how powerful the GOP message of killing Obamacare resonates with people. I'm in Oregon, land of the blue, and people are happy for gutting of medicaid. They bought into the idea Obamacare is enabling lazy moochers, Trump will still care for the legit sick they say.
    This is a straight "Fuck you, got mine" mentality. If any of these people had someone in their lives directly impacted by this, they'd be shitting their pants right now.

Well i'm going to be losing my health insurance over this (WA state medicaid expansion). I've yet to hear shit in response from any of my relatives who voted for him.

Take two doses of cognitive dissonance and call me in the morning. :/

My extended family is quite large and runs the gamut of the socioeconomic range. The conservatives quite frankly don't give a fuck about anyone else or even themselves, they just want to win whatever contest they are in and more importantly see the opposition lose. Oh but they'll pray for you.

The liberals in my family just sit there, unable to break through even as our close relatives, brothers and sisters, grandparents, parents, and children, suffer needlessly at the hands of those with power but no compassion.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Straight out of the mouth of coworker next to me: "pay for it like the rest of us."

It isn't even quite "fuck you, got mine." It's pure spite people may have things a tad easier than before.

You won't be able to if insurers deny your application.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    The senators from Texas are probably the worst and most hypocritical in the fucking Senate

God in do I hate Cruz and cornyn

It's the fucking worst. Like everyone says call your senator except we get to call the worst in the entire senate. It's fucking pointless.

Hey, I could call my senator but he'd just agree with every word I said and truthfully say that no-one is more prominent in the fight for healthcare than him. So what good would that do?

Calling a Republican senator who hates you has more chance of having an effect, because the more people that rage at his answer phone, the more he knows that people are not going to forget this.

• Options

Do they know? Have you told them?

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    The senators from Texas are probably the worst and most hypocritical in the fucking Senate

It's the fucking worst. Like everyone says call your senator except we get to call the worst in the entire senate. It's fucking pointless.

Hey, I could call my senator but he'd just agree with every word I said and truthfully say that no-one is more prominent in the fight for healthcare than him. So what good would that do?

Calling a Republican senator who hates you has more chance of having an effect, because the more people that rage at his answer phone, the more he knows that people are not going to forget this.

You tell them to fight with every tool at their disposal. They need to hear from their constituents that they need to fight this with every procedural trick in the book.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    This is some moustache-twirling levels of villainy here. They really are trying to gut Medicaid to just...give rich people more money?

Has this ever been tried before in the history of American politics? Rolling back an entitlement program to give millionaires a tax cut? I'm having a hard time thinking of something similar.

And yet this seems so familiar - to the extent that if this part of things is new it just feels part of the old. They've been trying enough that this is now just politics - cause they did, they're Tories/Pubs, what else did you expect them to do?

No one expected them to actually do it. Til they do, because it was unexpected.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »

You tell them to fight with every tool at their disposal. They need to hear from their constituents that they need to fight this with every procedural trick in the book.

I did. But it's futile. He's already doing that. There aren't enough tricks in the book.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

He won't.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

He won't.

And maybe they'll actually learn that lesson if this passes. Maybe.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »

He won't.

And maybe they'll actually learn that lesson if this passes. Maybe.

Some of them, but most will learn other lessons, like:

1) All politicians suck. Never trust them. Never vote.
    2) Trump tried to fix healthcare but the Democrats pitched a fit and killed it out of spite.
    3) Trump fixed healthcare. What are you talking about, you lost your coverage? Fox News said he added billions to Medicaid for those who really needed it!
    4) Obamacare couldn't be saved. Trump did the right thing, putting it out of its misery before it bankrupted the country.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

Do they know? Have you told them?

Yes, since before the election. "Obamacare is literally the only reason I have health care." Nothing, or "they'll be fixing the problems" in response.

And now it's nothing but nothing.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Republican representattive of New York's 19th congressional district:

When does "FUCK THE POOR!" become an official pledge from these people?

Couscous on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

..."property taxpayers"? I'm fairly sure there is no federal income tax. He's dogwhislting, isn't he.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I'm upset that Democrats aren't screaming from the rooftops that the reason insurance companies are dropping out and hiking premiums is to insulate their selves from unpredictable Republican activity.

It wouldn't even be just their word against the Republicans, companies have put out statements attesting to this and that message needs to get out.

Because the no coverage higher premium death spiral is their only talking point on this issue and it's their own damn fault.

I've seen this from a bunch of Democrats, actually.

It's not enough, it's not getting out to the media as a message. When a talking head on a news show says one is pulling out or raising premiums their next sentence needs to be "And Democrats say it's because..."

Democrats can't mind control the damn media to actually be useful. If we could control the media's behavior Donald Trump would not be president.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    This is some moustache-twirling levels of villainy here. They really are trying to gut Medicaid to just...give rich people more money?

Has this ever been tried before in the history of American politics? Rolling back an entitlement program to give millionaires a tax cut? I'm having a hard time thinking of something similar.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

..."property taxpayers"? I'm fairly sure there is no federal income tax. He's dogwhislting, isn't he.

Ding...ding, you've got it in one.

When you get to that level of rich, their property holdings represent the majority of their tax burden, cause their forms of income generators would be covered under other segments of the tax code, capital gains, etc...so an income tax break wouldn't help them near as much as a property tax one would.

See the bitch-fit Trump and his people are throwing over a property tax bill for a golf course in New York state.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Elki wrote: »

Welfare reform was more general mean spiritedness than explicitly to give millionaires a tax cut.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I can't even believe this reality anymore. This shouldn't be a country where this kind of incompetent, cartoonishly evil villainy is tolerated, and it certainly shouldn't be a feasible course for electoral success. Like..I'm trying to stay away from fatalism here, but seriously....what. the. fuck?

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Fair, it did have some middle class component.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    I can't even believe this reality anymore. This shouldn't be a country where this kind of incompetent, cartoonishly evil villainy is tolerated, and it certainly shouldn't be a feasible course for electoral success. Like..I'm trying to stay away from fatalism here, but seriously....what. the. fuck?

Well, they lied. A lot. Which was obvious if you pay a lot of attention like us but to most people not so much.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

There's no Federal Property Tax, but depending on how New York State is setup they may use property tax for general funds, which contribute to Medicaid. Eliminating the Medicaid expansion support would cause New York to insure fewer people on Medicaid and so place less of a burden on taxes. But I don't know New York well. In Illinois the State doesn't get any property tax revenue, those are all levied by municipal, county, and special districts.

Also, property tax is universal. Renters pay their landlord's property tax. It isn't like they eat the cost and charge less than market rate rent.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

There's no Federal Property Tax, but depending on how New York State is setup they may use property tax for general funds, which contribute to Medicaid. Eliminating the Medicaid expansion support would cause New York to insure fewer people on Medicaid and so place less of a burden on taxes. But I don't know New York well. In Illinois the State doesn't get any property tax revenue, those are all levied by municipal, county, and special districts.

Also, property tax is universal. Renters pay their landlord's property tax. It isn't like they eat the cost and charge less than market rate rent.

And no landlord is going to say their taxes are lower then expected so they are cutting the rent.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    This is an impressively evil bill. I'm really surprised at how openly evil it is, as I was really thinking it'd be horrible policies that would require some analasys in order to see the evil. This is straight up kicking puppies.

Makes me wonder what they're thinking for 2018 or 2020. Hope the electorate forgets by then? Plan to lose but still be in a position to obstruct any fixes? Give zero fucks either way because three years of this tax cut will be worth it to their paymasters?

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote: »
    This is an impressively evil bill. I'm really surprised at how openly evil it is, as I was really thinking it'd be horrible policies that would require some analasys in order to see the evil. This is straight up kicking puppies.

Makes me wonder what they're thinking for 2018 or 2020. Hope the electorate forgets by then? Plan to lose but still be in a position to obstruct any fixes? Give zero fucks either way because three years of this tax cut will be worth it to their paymasters?

Their plan is to drum up hate over minorities, "liberal elites", social justice warriors, abortion, guns and welfare queens so that Republican voters see nothing but a red mist and run to the polls to vote straight ticket Republican even if it literally kills them.

It is a good plan. It has worked many times in the past.

• Options
    Waaagh!Waaagh! Registered User regular
    Continues doing so in the present too.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

Most of the worst provisions don't really start to kick in in earnest until 2020.

At which point it's the Democrats fault, probably.

IMO, the Democrats need to be running in 2018 and 2020 on proposed ready-to-vote-on legislation that's publicly available for anyone to see leading up to the election, and that can be ramrodded through as fast as humanly possible once the Democrats take back the House. Put it out there, let the public see it, let them see what the Democrats will put in if they get into power, tweak it as necessary. And then once they get in, get rid of Republicare ASAP.

If they sit around for a year debating it, it'll results in tens of thousands of deaths. At best.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

From memory but what NY does is split the Medicaid funding with the Counties 50/50 (or something). Property taxes are the primary way that NY counties get revenue, so it isn't a lie. Just heartless.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Grayson is a very silly goose and his speech helped solidify opposition at the time.

It is exactly the opposite of what should be done with Democrats in the opposition, because it will harden the GOP base. If Grayson is your example for how to oppose the AHCA, you have already conceded defeat.

I remember this thinking at the time, and the tsk tsking because Grayson blundered and solidified the Republicans. But the entire Republican posture during the ACA negotiations was a sham. Every minute spent debating the bill with Republicans was 2 minutes wasted on bad faith actors who were there only for sabotage.

Grayson is one of the few who plainly articulated the Republican political program. Grayson didn't make the Republicans do one thing they weren't already planning to do.

To be fair, this ended up getting the ACA into law. It may not be perfect but it was that or nothing - there was no path to a better healthcare bill getting past congress, things like single payer and UHC were never on the table to passing congress. That bill has literally saved millions of lives, I don't see why this is a bad thing.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    conversation I just had in the office:

Them: "Knock on wood the ACA is gone soon"

Me: "I don't know about all that. It's saved quite a few lives including my wife's"

Them: "Well obviously it'll make things better for THEM"

. . .

Really now? Try reading it and telling me how.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

From memory but what NY does is split the Medicaid funding with the Counties 50/50 (or something). Property taxes are the primary way that NY counties get revenue, so it isn't a lie. Just heartless.

Alternatively, the people who will save money also pay property tax. He didn’t say he was reducing their property tax.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Upstate New York is very similar to appalachia in a lot of ways. They believe that they subsidize New York City through their taxes, when the opposite is true. There is very real tension between NYC and the rural parts of the state.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Alternatively, the people who will save money also pay property tax. He didn’t say he was reducing their property tax.

If it goes through they will. NY counties typically have a bitch of a time raising property taxes.
    Upstate New York is very similar to appalachia in a lot of ways. They believe that they subsidize New York City through their taxes, when the opposite is true. There is very real tension between NYC and the rural parts of the state.

Once you get away from the belt of 90 it might as well be Pennsyl-tucky.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

Leaded gasoline and lead paint maybe. Heavy lead exposure in childhood leads to people who are both stupider and more violent. Upwards of 90% of all children between 1950 and 1970-ish had unsafe levels of lead in their blood and they're the people in power now.

Of course part of making America great again is getting rid of regulations to keep lead levels down so everyone will be made as stupid as in the olden days.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Bah lead is old news anyway. What we want these days is more tasty mercury from burning coal.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    So this bill would actively punish states that try to fund Medicaid?

• Options
    So this bill would actively punish states that try to fund Medicaid?

It would reduce funding to states that spend more than average while increasing funding to those that spend less than average.

It sounds like a great excuse to start NYcaid or something that isn't Medicaid but helps pay high copays that Medicaid has to meet those spending targets. At least if folks want to continue to fund Medicaid at the state level.

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »

Leaded gasoline and lead paint maybe. Heavy lead exposure in childhood leads to people who are both stupider and more violent. Upwards of 90% of all children between 1950 and 1970-ish had unsafe levels of lead in their blood and they're the people in power now.

This is a kind of paranoid thought that I've had, too. The guys who are ruling the world now are the guys who were teenagers during the time when crime was exploding and everyone was pulling their hair out about cities degrading into hopeless pits of violence. It may be that they do, as a population (not as individuals - many of them are wonderful people), have problems with moral sense. When they were teens it manifested as risk-taking, violence and drug experimentation. But now they are old they have problems with empathizing with other people.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Mayabird wrote: »

Of course part of making America great again is getting rid of regulations to keep lead levels down so everyone will be made as stupid as in the olden days.

Michigan is about to see a spike in Medicaid spending due to the Flint crisis and this plan puts those people at risk.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
This discussion has been closed.