Options

[Obamacare repeal]: McConnell fails to pass disastrous bill. Country sighs in relief.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1093LMw9sA
    Scaramucci: "trust the process of the free market like in telecom, like in airlines"

Does anybody who has dealt with either of those think that is a good idea?

And we don't let telecom do whatever
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakup_of_the_Bell_System
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Communications_Commission

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    If this goes forward and the house passes it, get ready for elections in 2018 to get super fucked up with voter suppression.

I can't tell if they've given up on 2018 or have *that* much faith in their voter suppression plans. I fear it is the latter.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Whenever you think that market crashes harm the rich, please keep in mind that the rich use market crashes to buy everything for cheap. Given the prices in some of the most popular cities right now, they could make quite a bit of money by depressing the market for a few years and buy much larger portions of the cities which will still end up bustling even after the crash because cities will be even that much more vital for survival.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Called my Senators. Murkowski took a minute to get through the lines (but only a minute) but I thanked her for voting against the motion to proceed. Sullivan's office I got through immediately, and I expressed my disappointment, why I was disappointed and additionally called on him to not vote for a single bill or amended bill that hasn't been vetting by experts and the CBO.

I know it can seem like pissing on the wind, but I know I'm going to cease to let my blatantly partisan Senator off the hook anymore.

As an addendum, I just got a robocall from some dude asking me to call Murkowski and tell her to vote no. Hopefully that keeps her on point, but I'm not happy that they're just ignoring Sullivan.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I don't where this belongs, but I'm not sure it needs a GDST either. I don't have anything constructive to say about it, just flabbergasted rage.

Trump Says Transgender People Will Not Be Allowed in the Military

He cites "tremendous medical costs and disruption" because of course he does.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    If this goes forward and the house passes it, get ready for elections in 2018 to get super fucked up with voter suppression.

I can't tell if they've given up on 2018 or have *that* much faith in their voter suppression plans. I fear it is the latter.

Lots of counties that go blue suddenly have only one polling place, in the most inconvenient areas possible, understaffed. And at midnight they try and use police to force everyone to go home.

I mean, we saw this already in the presidential election, I just expect it to be far more widespread.

Also purging voter rolls, sabotaged bureaucracy, etc.

2018 was going to be fucked up no matter what, but if this atrocity passes? Yeah.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

More just that 2018 is a year away which is an eternity in politics.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    I don't where this belongs, but I'm not sure it needs a GDST either. I don't have anything constructive to say about it, just flabbergasted rage.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/37988200/#Comment_37988200

(Recommended thread, per Elki)

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Calica wrote: »

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/37988200/#Comment_37988200

(Recommended thread, per Elki)

Thanks, @ArbitraryDescriptor

Calica on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    This guy is from the Center for American Progress

Blue Cross really, really wants the individual mandate to stay.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    BC/BS is my carrier. Ugh, this is so stupid.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

Not on topic.

• Options
    A lot of outreach to Murkowski going on

Cooper is political editor at Newsweek, and Rep. Carter is from Georgia.

This is the second Rep. to threaten violence against a female Senator this week.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Stage 2 vote to repeal on Rand Paul amendment has failed.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    snatch a knot in their ass?

Do I even want to know what that means?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Stage 2 vote to repeal on Rand Paul amendment has failed.

Democrats did not even bother making it require 60 votes.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

This is the second Rep. to threaten violence against a female Senator this week.

I'd say threats of violence aren't cool, but I'm not entirely sure that's the correct interpretation for whatever that Mark Twain sounding bit of nonsense is.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Repeal without replace got 45 GOP votes, two more than Repeal and Replace got.

The Times has a nice chart, if you want to see which votes flipped.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i've heard of jerk a knot in your tail

i wonder if it's related

i hope it's not going to be considered a preexisting condition

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I hate blue cross blue shield as someone who has dealt with them for my entire life. the GOP has managed to make a law so stupid that I agree with bcbs.

Bravo I suppose.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    snatch a knot in their ass?

Do I even want to know what that means?

Punch. Hit. Strike. Assault. Fisticuffs. Apply Violence.

• Options
    The Vox chart from a few pages ago is helpful, but I don't know where we're at in the process currently.

McCain voted for repeal and replace, but voted against the partial repeal along with Capito, Portman, and Lamar Alexander from Tennessee.

Collins, Heller, and Murkowski voted against both.

So.... now what?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    The Vox chart from a few pages ago is helpful, but I don't know where we're at in the process currently.

McCain voted for repeal and replace, but voted against the partial repeal along with Capito, Portman, and Lamar Alexander from Tennessee.

So.... now what?

I think a vote on skinny repeal that lets people vote for it under the assumption someone else will fix it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »
    If it starts looking like skinny repeal is going to be the thing, how is the healthcare industry not going to explode with protest? It's the worst of both worlds for them, here's all this extra stuff you have to do, but no insurance mandates.

Premiums would have to skyrocket.

Seriously, though. I always understood the GOP to be in this on the side of the insurance companies and other wealthy cronies. Who actually benefits from the healthcare system collapsing? Nobody in the US.

Does the skinny repeal even have the tax cuts, which are half the reason for it in the first place?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    What is skinny repeal?

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Not to my knowledge. They just strip out all the mandates.

Yet again, a bill with no actual constituency.

Edit: maybe it repeals the medical devices tax? I think it might do that. But still, previous point stands.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options

So.... now what?

A vote on skinny repeal that lets people vote for it under the assumption someone else will fix it.

Isn't that the partial repeal thing that just fell through?

I'm going by what the Times link says that just Hedgethorn posted.

https://nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/25/us/politics/senate-votes-repeal-obamacare.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=a-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    What is skinny repeal?

A repeal on just the mandates, and the medical device tax.

That would be Very Bad, as the insurance pools require that they have healthy/young people in the pools. Otherwise, shit's going to explode fast.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options

I'd say threats of violence aren't cool, but I'm not entirely sure that's the correct interpretation for whatever that Mark Twain sounding bit of nonsense is.
    snatch a knot
    To hit someone, usually used in a threat of punishment or retribution. A knot is generally snatched in one's ass, though variants include the neck and the head.

• Options
    edited July 2017

So.... now what?

A vote on skinny repeal that lets people vote for it under the assumption someone else will fix it.

https://nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/25/us/politics/senate-votes-repeal-obamacare.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=a-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

No. That is the Rand Paul thing that just straight up repeals Obamacare and defunds Planned Parenthood along the way because why the fuck not, but the actual content of this bill (technically a full-scale rewrite AMENDMENT) has never been made public. We just have Paul's declaration that it repeals Obamacare.

I believe the next thing they vote for is the same, but without the "fuck Planned Parenthood" part, which is also expected to fail.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular

So.... now what?

What just failed was repealing everything in the ACA that can be repealed via reconciliation. It would have rolled back all the taxes and all the spending, while keeping the regulatory changes in place. (It's worth noting that such a bill passed the GOP Senate in 2015, with only Collins and one other Republican voting against it.)

"Skinny-repeal" (which, according to reports, would repeal the individual mandate, the employer mandate, and the medical device tax and leave everything else alone) is expected to be brought up for a vote on Thursday or Friday.

We'll probably have a couple days of voting on amendments between then and now. McCain apparently has brought three or four Medicaid amendments for consideration. Democrats supposedly have 120 amendments they intend to bring up.

• Options
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

So.... now what?

What just failed was repealing everything in the ACA that can be repealed via reconciliation. It would have rolled back all the taxes and all the spending, while keeping the regulatory changes in place. (It's worth noting that such a bill passed the GOP Senate in 2015, with only Collins and one other Republican voting against it.)

"Skinny-repeal" (which, according to reports, would repeal the individual mandate, the employer mandate, and the medical device tax and leave everything else alone) is expected to be brought up for a vote on Thursday or Friday.

We'll probably have a couple days of voting on amendments between then and now. McCain apparently has brought three or four Medicaid amendments for consideration. Democrats supposedly have 120 amendments they intend to bring up.

Any guess how many amendments McConnell let's the Dems do before he cuts them off? I'm guessing under well under 20.

• Options

(Matt Fuller is a health care reporter for Huffington Post.)

The worst possible policy is the one that's going to go into law. Say goodbye to the individual insurance market.

• Options
    centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular

(Matt Fuller is a health care reporter for Huffington Post.)

The worst possible policy is the one that's going to go into law. Say goodbye to the individual insurance market.

That... would still need to pass the Senate...

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    This guy is from the Center for American Progress

Blue Cross really, really wants the individual mandate to stay.

Christ, this is fucking madness.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

So.... now what?

Any guess how many amendments McConnell let's the Dems do before he cuts them off? I'm guessing under well under 20.

McConnell would be fine not letting Dems be a part of the process at all

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

So.... now what?

They already aren't. Like none of them have anything to do with this at all.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

So.... now what?

Sure, but I think he'll at least let them blather about stuff for a bit as a fig leaf.

• Options

So.... now what?

Sure, but I think he'll at least let them blather about stuff for a bit as a fig leaf.

He hasn't cared about showing them a fig leaf at any step of the way in his entire career. Why would he start now?

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    "Skinny repeal" is a change in strategy.

The previous repeal votes have been to remove Obamacare wholesale, or as much as they can around the filibuster. Removing just the mandate and no other major functions breaks the market, and will make Obamacare shitty after some time.

That's their point, here. People are liking Obamacare, enough that they cannot push through straight repeal. So they're changing strategy, from removing it, to making Obamacare suck. Once it's shitty for a while, then they'll remove it.

See Hedgethorn's comment.
    Fun story: in 1993, the state of Washington passed a ban on pre-existing conditions along with a mandate to purchase insurance. In 1995, Republicans repealed just the mandate. After that, premiums began going up by 20%+ a year, and by 1999, every single insurer had pulled out of the state's individual insurance market.

This discussion has been closed.