As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ninja [Chat] Party

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Argument from authority argument time!

I've worked in homeless shelters for years. I've also been homeless, as has my mother. There is no such thing as professional panhandlers, or professional homeless people, or people who "want to be homeless", or "rich hobos", or the homeless guy who makes hundreds of dollars an hour from begging, or any of that other fucking bullshit that people tell themselves or have been told to make themselves feel better about not giving a shit about the homeless.

A massive chunk of the homeless population are people you never encounter. They are not people on the street. They are people in shelters, hostels, halfway houses, and other charity institutions and social systems that support them. They are people crashing on their friends' couches for a little while until they get stuff together. These people are the "invisible" homeless and they represent mostly people who are just fuckin' poor or are in situations that are toxic or desperate and they ended up with no fixed address (leaving abusive situations, losing everything in a fire with no insurance, etc.). Most of these people have just gotten fucked over by life in some way and are trying to get their shit together.

But when you say "homeless" what most people think of is street homeless, people who live and sleep and beg on the street, and you encounter in your everyday life. The overwhelming majority of these people, like somewhere north of 90%, are mentally ill in some capacity. Co-morbid to this, many of them also have substance abuse problems, because you try living on the street like they do and not having a substance abuse problem.

Because most of these people are mentally ill, many of them have behaviors, mechanisms, issues, and problems that make it extremely difficult for them to function in "normal" society and for them to hold down jobs, acquire and retain a place to live, etc. Even if all these opportunities are presented to them by things like social outreach programs, without sufficient mental health support, their ability to actually utilize those opportunities in a lasting way is very minimal in most cases because the demons that put them on the street in the first place are still gonna be there.

There are people who, having been in this state for an extended period of time, have adapted very specific and sometimes quite elaborate survival strategies for doing what they can. When you see the guy who has a shopping cart full of cans to turn in for pittances, you might think "Why doesn't that guy just get a job, he clearly can do work and knows how to like, form a route and get paid and shit", you are missing the whole fuckin point of why that dude is at a point in his life of why he is comfortable digging through garbage to find soda cans to turn in.

Yeah I agree with all of this.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    there is a continuous trickle of white people who regard busking as a great way to raise funds for their southeast asia poverty/self-discovery tour, and they can't quite grok why they're raising so many hackles in the local press

there's a term for it: beg-packing
    wait, what

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Dems meeting

We are about to spend ten minutes listening to the planning committee hand out candy bars and read candy bar puns to their own members for doing a good job on a recent fundraiser

Acknowledging volunteers is important but I am slightly salty about how long this is going to takw
    And I bet they're not even millennials, what the heck

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    We're now seven minutes behind schedule on an agenda that is planned to the minute

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    that doesn't seem safe for the roofers

It's not.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i find it funny how many people who run thirty feet to their cars because it's drizzling out think it's easy being homeless

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Coinage wrote: »
    Dems meeting

We are about to spend ten minutes listening to the planning committee hand out candy bars and read candy bar puns to their own members for doing a good job on a recent fundraiser

Acknowledging volunteers is important but I am slightly salty about how long this is going to takw
    And I bet they're not even millennials, what the heck

Almost everyone involved in this committee is a white woman over 50,or a white man over 50.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    i find it funny how many people who run thirty feet to their cars because it's drizzling out think it's easy being homeless

It's not that.
    It's the idea that a beggar also has a $200k house because begging is so lucrative, somehow

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Give price to lady for room

"but I want less"

thats nice.....

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    If you look at the amended notes provided before the meeting you will see that we've added 23 minutes of unproductive stream of consciousness thoughts from Richard about how to deal with going over time

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    there is a continuous trickle of white people who regard busking as a great way to raise funds for their southeast asia poverty/self-discovery tour, and they can't quite grok why they're raising so many hackles in the local press

wait, what

http://observers.france24.com/en/20170410-“beg-packers”-white-tourists-who-beg-southeast-asia

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    A woman from North Carolina says she unknowingly starred in a video taking responsibility for a series of Saskatoon crimes.
    Samantha Field told CTV News on Tuesday she created a video in March for a customer on Fiverr, a website for freelancers to sell different creative services, like video production.
    Field said a user named “alexemme” requested she read an excerpt from her new book. The script sent for her to read detailed how a woman — played by Field in the video — and an accomplice allegedly orchestrated the deliveries of suspicious packages in Saskatoon.
    Samantha Field, who says she unknowingly starred in a video taking responsibility for a series of Saskatoon crimes, speaks to CTV Saskatoon via Skype from North Carolina on Tuesday, July 25, 2017.
    “We made those packages together, with the cookies and rockets and tissue paper,” Field claims in the video. "She said, ‘People will think the baking soda is anthrax.'"
    The excerpt video would be displayed at alexemme’s book launch, the Fiverr user told Field, according to screenshots of the pair’s conversation.
    But there was no book launch where the video played. Instead, the video was sent to media on April 9, accompanied by a handful of emails claiming the innocence of Alexa Emerson, the woman charged in the suspicious package deliveries.
    Field said she charged $35 for the clip.
    The video she sent to the Fiverr user included a pitch, encouraging people to buy a copy of the supposed book. The pitch wasn’t included in the version of the video sent to media.
    Please kickstart my Poorly Frame An American campaign

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    one of my friends did one of those stupid facebook quizes
    "who secretly loves you"

her result?
    "no one loves you"

god
    dammmnnnnnn

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    lol goddamn thats ballsy

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    I have now quit the game.

This was a dumb purchase.

What game is this? Also please explain at length everything that was dumb

Valkyria Revolution

I really enjoyed the first one in the series back on the PS3 but as soon as the gameplay started I realized this was not what i was looking for.

I wanted a tactical RPG like the first game (didn't play 2 and 3)and this is an action RPG.

The dumb thing is me for not doing more research because with a simple google search I would have been able to figure out that this game is a spinoff and made to be an action RPG.

But I made an impulse buy.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    We're now seven minutes behind schedule on an agenda that is planned to the minute

This seems like poor planning.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

It's not that.
    It's the idea that a beggar also has a $200k house because begging is so lucrative, somehow

we had a lady here recently who got everyone in an uproar because she was panhandling and then she got caught getting into a mini cooper and a local news jackoff thought he had a hot scoop to blow up on facebook

then it turned out it was paid off and she lives in

oh and she also has behavioral issues that had sent her around the family guest room/shelter/work program/on the streets carousel for years

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I mean

I lived for a couple months on the floor of a friend's room in his parents' house. Then out of my car for a little while after that wore thin.

I never really thought of it before in those terms but

Yeah

I was homeless

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I heard the homeless alarm going off and I ambled over here when it was convenient for me to do so

• Options

It's not that.

If begging is so lucrative why do only poor people do it?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »

This seems like poor planning.

all the polling says seven minutes behind is where we want to be

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

It's not that.

we had a lady here recently who got everyone in an uproar because she was panhandling and then she got caught getting into a mini cooper and a local news jackoff thought he had a hot scoop to blow up on facebook

oh and she also has behavioral issues that had sent her around the family guest room/shelter/work program/on the streets carousel for years

Was that the video where he followed her to McDonalds and she was asking them to stop him?

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Nobody said you were lying Pony. I agree with what you are saying if you acknowledge you can't speak in absolutes like that. There have been panhandlers by choice. Do I think they have unfairly helped tarnish the opinion of homeless people in general? Yes...?

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I should not have made a "To Do" list but also a "Games Currently Installed" list

I definitely shouldn't have put them on the same notepad

• Options

It's not that.

Was that the video where he followed her to McDonalds and she was asking them to stop him?

yep

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    A

Valkyria Revolution

I really enjoyed the first one in the series back on the PS3 but as soon as the gameplay started I realized this was not what i was looking for.

I wanted a tactical RPG like the first game (didn't play 2 and 3)and this is an action RPG.

The dumb thing is me for not doing more research because with a simple google search I would have been able to figure out that this game is a spinoff and made to be an action RPG.

Banner saga maybe?

Or darkest dungeon which I thiiiiink I'll stream again tonight

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options

Valkyria Revolution

Good to know

I am a fan of VC myself and may have fallen into the same trap were it not for your example.

I salute you

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    "who secretly loves you"

her result?
    "no one loves you"

god
    dammmnnnnnn

*inhales sharply*

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »
    "who secretly loves you"

her result?
    "no one loves you"

god
    dammmnnnnnn

*inhales a sharpy*

gooey no

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    Nobody said you were lying Pony. I agree with what you are saying if you acknowledge you can't speak in absolutes like that. There have been panhandlers by choice. Do I think they have unfairly helped tarnish the opinion of homeless people in general? Yes...?

How are you defining "by choice"?

Did they have a house, a good job, decent standard of living, and say "y'know, fuck the rat race, I'm gonna panhandle down at the corner!"

Can you give me a single example of what you are talking about and elaborate?

Because this sounds very "welfare queen" to me bro

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    that's the sharp inhalation of a man who is going to take one for the team

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Brought up the idea of a composting toilet to my wife and a yurt and she was like "husband pls...."

• Options
    well presumably no one secretly loves her

the rest is just inferred from what we know

• Options
    Brought up the idea of a composting toilet to my wife and a yurt and she was like "husband pls...."

modern western civilization is built on the premise that we never have to think about our own poopoo

I'm reading that back and the first three words probably are anathema to this entire conversation eh

• Options

Did they have a house, a good job, decent standard of living, and say "y'know, fuck the rat race, I'm gonna panhandle down at the corner!"

i had a roommate who paid rent for a summer by busking instead of getting a minimum wage job

but i don't really consider busking and panhandling to be the same thing

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »

wait, what

http://observers.france24.com/en/20170410-“beg-packers”-white-tourists-who-beg-southeast-asia

Oh, I thought they were busking in the West to raise money to go abroad

yeah, that's dumb

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular

i had a roommate who paid rent for a summer by busking instead of getting a minimum wage job

but i don't really consider busking and panhandling to be the same thing

Nor do I.

• Options
    her stories involving her daughter are hilarious.
    one time we all went to the big crawfish boil together and her daughter won a giant stuffed unicorn or pony or something
    it was larger than she was. she couldnt even see while carrying it so she just pointed herself towards her mom when she left the stage and charged forward
    just smashing everyone between the two of them

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Argument from authority argument time!

I've worked in homeless shelters for years. I've also been homeless, as has my mother. There is no such thing as professional panhandlers, or professional homeless people, or people who "want to be homeless", or "rich hobos", or the homeless guy who makes hundreds of dollars an hour from begging, or any of that other fucking bullshit that people tell themselves or have been told to make themselves feel better about not giving a shit about the homeless.

A massive chunk of the homeless population are people you never encounter. They are not people on the street. They are people in shelters, hostels, halfway houses, and other charity institutions and social systems that support them. They are people crashing on their friends' couches for a little while until they get stuff together. These people are the "invisible" homeless and they represent mostly people who are just fuckin' poor or are in situations that are toxic or desperate and they ended up with no fixed address (leaving abusive situations, losing everything in a fire with no insurance, etc.). Most of these people have just gotten fucked over by life in some way and are trying to get their shit together.

But when you say "homeless" what most people think of is street homeless, people who live and sleep and beg on the street, and you encounter in your everyday life. The overwhelming majority of these people, like somewhere north of 90%, are mentally ill in some capacity. Co-morbid to this, many of them also have substance abuse problems, because you try living on the street like they do and not having a substance abuse problem.

Because most of these people are mentally ill, many of them have behaviors, mechanisms, issues, and problems that make it extremely difficult for them to function in "normal" society and for them to hold down jobs, acquire and retain a place to live, etc. Even if all these opportunities are presented to them by things like social outreach programs, without sufficient mental health support, their ability to actually utilize those opportunities in a lasting way is very minimal in most cases because the demons that put them on the street in the first place are still gonna be there.

There are people who, having been in this state for an extended period of time, have adapted very specific and sometimes quite elaborate survival strategies for doing what they can. When you see the guy who has a shopping cart full of cans to turn in for pittances, you might think "Why doesn't that guy just get a job, he clearly can do work and knows how to like, form a route and get paid and shit", you are missing the whole fuckin point of why that dude is at a point in his life of why he is comfortable digging through garbage to find soda cans to turn in.

Yeah I agree with all of this.

Yes, agree.

Was/am the poor dude staying with friends. Was the guy living in his illegal car.

I also watched a bunch of crustpunks from middle/upper-middle class homes ride trains and panhandle and busk over in Portland. It was trendy as hell in Eastern Oregon for a few years.

"I lived on the streets, maaaan, I know what it's like out there."

Not without mommy and daddy's plastic, they fuckin didn't.

Professional panhandlers exist. They're called Crusties.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    On a larger view, people who defraud various public services do exist (in disproportionately tiny numbers) but some people do latch onto these examples and imagine them as far more prevalent, I think largely to sell bumper stickers

I think this inordinate fear of people taking advantage of charitable leanings applies to homeless people quite naturally, if illogically (much like refugee talking points, "why would someone choose to live in such abject horror?" doesn't seem to cross people's minds)

Eddy on
This discussion has been closed.